Norco Fluid 1 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

• Light weight M6 frame tubing with hydroform downtube and single travel 140 mm forged link arm
  • New slacker 68 degree headtube angle for trail / all mountain
  • Revised link arm design allows for improved fit with Rockshox and Fox rear shocks

Submitted by mgrandmaison a Cross Country Rider from Quebec City

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2011

Strengths:    Very good for a 215lbs biker, I love the feeling of smoothness but it never let you down when you need it in ruff terrain...

Weaknesses:    the rear wishbone broke last year, and it was a clean brake right next to the welding spot, the replacement part was totally different from the original, you could see they knew where to reinforce it to make sure it wouldn't brake again!!!

Bottom Line:
I've never regret the purchase of that bike, cause I had a chance to try it before, and I felt in love with the all around capacity of the suspension, yes it's not the best bike in the world, but I assure you, it is worth every penny I spent for it, in the last 4 years except for the tune-up I only had to change brake plates and front small spoket and the chain... not much investement to keep a smilling face every time i take it out in the wood... the best place I took it so far was the mount St-Anne near Québec City...

Favorite Trail:   All trail free around our beautiful city...

Purchased At:   Mathieu Performance

Similar Products Used:   GT I drive years before, Rocky Mountain (brother's bike) Yeti

Bike Setup:   suspension is adjust to it's maximum displacement to insure totale use of the clearence under the frame. rear suspension air PSI 190 front PSI 55 and damper 2-3 clicks from

Submitted by az29okg a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2010

Strengths:    28 lbs - just 2 lbs heavier than my old hardtail.

Weaknesses:    Seatpost (Ritchey Pro Carbon) creaks (I think).
XT hydraulic disc brakes seem to have lost modulation (one cold morning), they are still very strong brakes, but the lever movement is very small.

Bottom Line:
I really love my bike (except for the creaking seatpost - which I've temporarily fixed by replacing it with an old Syncro aluminum seatpost). The suspension feels really good. I normally like riding faster smoother tails. But, I did take it on one really rocky technical trail and I had to learn to let the bike smash thorugh the rough stuff - which it did (no thanks to my skill level - just hang on an pray).

Favorite Trail:   None

Purchased At:   Ontario

Bike Setup:   Stock except for:
- XT clipless pedals
- Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires (26x2.1)
- Ritchey Pro bar ends

Submitted by Slowup a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2009

Strengths:    Handling, climbing & descending prowess. Plows over everything without complaint & makes you a better (seeming) rider.

Weaknesses:    Originally spec'd Mavic Crossride wheelset is rudimentary & slow at best. Too bad a bike like this wasn't available years ago.

Bottom Line:
When I got this bike in early '06 it was Norco's first real foray into a lighter more pedal-friendly all mountainy bike.
I think they did a pretty good job.
Other than some relatively weak parts spec, which conversley kept the initial cost down, the bike in my view was mostly a winner right out of the gate. In having owned and ridden this bike for over three years I have to say it remains an excellent choice for any epic length rides of a technical nature.

Favorite Trail:   Switchback

Purchased At:   MR Cycle

Similar Products Used:   RM Altitude, Giant Anthem.

Bike Setup:   Lots changed from original & sitting at 30.5 pounds for a 5.5"+ travel "all mountain" bike.

Submitted by Redstone a Weekend Warrior from Luxembourg

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2009

Strengths:    Good set-up, good parts, very handy and nimble bike, perfect for technical trails

Weaknesses:    none at the moment

Bottom Line:
Perfect bike for my riding style, from tours to trail-riding. Very robust and it has really taken some hard beating

Favorite Trail:   Minette

Purchased At:   Cycles Schütz

Similar Products Used:   none, its my first full-suspension bike

Bike Setup:   standard except the tires, changed the original 2.1 Kenda's for 2.25 Schwalbe Alberts

Submitted by Clare a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2008

Strengths:    Good all-rounder. Sturdy Fox suspension soaks up technical decents with ease and the bike is also a very efficient climber. Good reliable Shimano drivetrain and powerful XT hydraulic breaks.

Weaknesses:    The deep red paint job looks brilliant (when new) but I have found it relatively easy to scratch and is also badly affected by cable rub.

Bottom Line:
This is my first dual suspension bike and has so far been nothing but a pleasure to ride. In a year I have ridden the bike about 1500km and have found it to be very reliable. Mostly I use the bike for light all-mountain riding and for XC. This bike is a very efficient climber, with minimal feedback. The three pro-pedal levels on the Fox RP23 shock are very effective, and allow the bike to be easily adapted to a range of riding conditions. The bike has a very strong feel to it even though it is reasonably light. The curvy top tube is not only attractive, but also significantly improves stand-over clearance. Overall I have found the bike provides a lot of bang for my buck and I highly recommend it to prospective buyers.

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Bike Setup:   Stock with the following swaps from new: Tyres - Maxxis Rancheros, which are more suitable for sandy Aussie conditions. Pedals - Swapped Candy for XTR preference. Chain - XTR. Seat – Specialised Body Geometry

Submitted by DC a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2007

Strengths:    Great all mountain bike. Goes anywhere and so far has been durable.

Bottom Line:
This bike is super effecient compared to my previous Fluid. It is also much lighter, weighing in at 29lbs for the medium. This is the first bike I've owned where I do not have to change any of the components. I thought the tires, Hutchinson Piranhas, would be too light for the rough trails we ride but they have surprised me. Keep the pressure up and they will ride in any condition, wet or dry.

This bike performs exceptionally well on climbs and on descents.

I highly recommend this bike for any one looking for a do anything bike.

Favorite Trail:   Pidherny

Similar Products Used:   2003 Norco Fluid 2.0

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Dimitri a Cross Country Rider from Cave Creek

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent climber and decender. The Fuild is a nimble and quick AM bike without the bulk of many AM bikes. Adjustable rear wheel travel from 4-5+".

Weaknesses:    Paint quality is good but not excellent. The bike's rear triangle limits tire widths of about 2.35-2.4.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a superb example of what an all mountain bike should be. It rides strong with little to no flex. It eats up rock gardens and is very very fast downhill. This is a keeper. I bought only the frame and built up the bike.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz, Diamondback, Kona....

Bike Setup:   XT Crank, SRAM XO Shifters, f+r derailleur, Hayes 8" Disc Brakes, Mavic Rims with hope hubs, Hell Bent bars, Cane Creek headset.....Minute 3 up front and Fox Float R in back.

Submitted by Jim K a Weekend Warrior from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2007

Strengths:    I've only ridden it for one week, but so far it kicks ass. Formerly, I rode a Norco XCS 1 with a Stratos Helix Pro rear shock (for many years). Thanks to Norco for replacing my frame and shock after my old frame cracked at the welds - I now own a Fluid 1.0 with an RP23 rear shock. The pro pedal works awesome on climbs and flats! Flip the lever and you have a great descender. I'll update this review later if any problems arise. Many thanks to Rob at Home Hardware in Kincardine (the best bike shop in Ontario - located in maybe the most unlikely spot) and Norco who stand behind their products and put their money where their mouth is.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
So far, so good. The frame looks and feels bomb-proof. Hopefully Norco bikes will catch on south of the border. For knarly Canadian trails, they can't be beat.

Favorite Trail:   3 stage

Similar Products Used:   Norco XCS1 with a Stratos Helix Pro rear shock.
Test ridden many others and owned a Kona prior to my Norco (actually a Bianchi got me hooked and was my first mountain bike >20 years ago).

Bike Setup:   As mentioned above

Norco Fluid 9.1

Hi I have a good deal of the fluid 9.1 but i dont have a chance to do a test/demo ride. How do you compare the fluid 9.1 vs the Tallboy/anthem in terms of efficiency,stiffness,tech climbing etc ThxRead More »

Fluid 9.1

Leaky DOT 5.1 Fluid Bottle

I just noticed that my bottle of DOT 5.1 fluid had been tipped on its side and clearly a slow leak developed as the label of the bottle is basically blank now. I know that DOT 5.1 absorbs water really easily so is whats left in the bottle toast now?Read More »

DHX 5.0 air w/100 hours - suspension fluid service now or let it slide 1 more season?

I have a 2009 DHX 5.0 air shock with about 100 hours on it, I've never done any maintenance on it since it was new, other than wiping off the shaft after every ride. Unfortunately I don't get to do a lot of riding. I have a hectic work/family schedule, but I'm fortunate enough to live 5 mins. ... Read More »

Range 3 or Fluid 1?

I have to decide which bike to get and I am rather unexperienced about all the parts, I simply like riding the current Fluid 4 that I have and want to go further. I like to do a lot of all mountain riding, but I am also looking forward to getting into some light free ride. I also do a little shore-s ... Read More »