Mountain Cycle San Andreas Classic All Mountain Full Suspension

• TT length 20.9" 23"
  • Wheelbase 42.2-43.5"
  • HT angle 68-70°
  • ST angle 68.4-76.3°
  • Head tube length 5.0" 5.0"
  • Chainstay length 16.25-16.5"
  • BB height

Submitted by Juan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2014

Strengths:    I have one for sale 3/30/2014
juangreenwich gmail

Weaknesses:    I am selling it... Its a sweet bike... I read the post below where it says I wish I didn't sell the bike... Had me thinking... I guess that will be me in the futere!

Bottom Line:
Overall a great bike...

Favorite Trail:   Memorial Partk / Houston

Duration Product Used:   4 years

Purchased At:   Friend

Submitted by clayton walkee

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2013

Strengths:    Very positive ride with my set up. Was very confident on my downhills, handled bumps and jumps.

Weaknesses:    Lack or rear suspension travel

Bottom Line:
Where can i buy another one

Submitted by jrnot

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2012

Strengths:    Unbreakable, fast and very fun.

Weaknesses:    Water bottle mounts on the top tube are perfect for an on trail vasectomy.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike brand new and still can not stop riding it. I have began upgrading all components. This bike does everything I want it to do. It is a little heavy, and the bottom bracket is a little high, but you get used to the height and go on a diet to get rid of weight.

Submitted by John McNally a Downhiller from Milford NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2007

Strengths:    Alot of ajustability, super nimble, easy to throw around, balanced, hevey duty, strong frame,

Weaknesses:    stock chain set up throw out!!

Bottom Line:
if you have not found that bike that you can beat the snot out of and it still bombs down the hairy trails like a dream... then you found it. this thing i toke off a road gap that was 27 ft up and you had to jump 30 ft out and the lead in was flat and this thing pretty much accelirated its self. the smoth ride of this rig is unmatched thus far.
If you put the right components onn theis thing you will not need to buy a new bike until somone steals it cuz they are jelous.

Favorite Trail:   rough rock

Purchased At:   Adreniline

Similar Products Used:   FSR, KonaDawg, Orange Patriot

Bike Setup:   Earl bars and headset, Bontreger seat and seat post, Mar shiver front fork,fox vinnila back shox, race face cranks, shim 9,0 back derail

Submitted by Chad Thomas a Cross Country Rider from Lancaster, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2007

Strengths:    Super strong frameset with zero flex. One of the best looking bikes ever made. Will last a lifetime. High bottom bracket height clears rocks and logs like a pro.

Weaknesses:    A DISAPPOINTMENT OVERALL. Regular size frame is way too large for cross country or all-mountain (I am 5'10")- very hard to mount. It is possible to get a smaller top subrame, but that is expensive, and the frame would still be large overall. Not very efficient at all. Pretty heavy, and exhausting to climb with. Not nimble - difficult to throw around. Despite my ambitions this design really is outdated.

Bottom Line:
THIS IS THE 1 BIKE THAT I DREAMED ABOUT GETTING FOR 10 YEARS. I HEARD NOTHING BUT GREAT REVIEWS FROM EVERYONE I TALKED TO. It came time to purchase a new bike, and after much research I decided to purchase a Specialized 01 Enduro FSR; you can read my review and others at (http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/olderfullsuspensionbike/product_72856.shtml). This was a very good bike, and soaked up the hits while feeling extremely nimble. The only downside was the low bottom bracket.

However, after more searching I found a 2004 MOUNTAIN CYCLE SAN ANDREAS XC on ebay for a reasonable price. Being the bike I had always wanted, and given it's near perfect reviews I decided to sell my FSR even though I really like it, and purchase the San Andreas.

From the moment I first rode this bike I was very disappointed. The fork dove like crazy, and the rear suspension seemed far from amazing. So, I went about much time and cost investing $800.00 in parts on top of the $900.00 I had paid for the bike in the first place. I bought a new front and rear shock, upgraded the shifting and brakes, and added several other expensive parts (the parts are listed in the setup above). After all of this I was still disappionted.

The frame (size regular)was way too big for my 5'10" body. It was hard to mount the bike, and it felt awkward being that high up. The bike was not near as nimble as the FSR, and I felt like the bike was in control, rather than me. It was a very inefficient bike, and while the suspension worked I had to carry a high air pressure in the rear due to the suspension design. The Cane Creek Cloud Nine was brand new, and received the best of mtbr award. However, I felt like the bike design was limiting the shocks performance, and the bike shop agreed. My one flaw in this review may be the front suspension. Even though the MX pro received very good reviews I felt like it may have been misperforing a little bit. On a similar note, make sure you get at least 120 mm of front suspension - this will make the bike higher, but it feels very unbalanced otherwise.

So, in the end I was disappointed with this bike. It was not at all what I has expected all those years. In 1995 it probably was the best thing available, but today this bike sadly really is outdated. My Giant Reign 2 outperforms this bike in nearly every area, and I would never go back. It peforms better, and ascends and descends better, and makes biking more enjoyable overall. I wouldn't purhase the San Andreas unless you ride downhill or freeride, or are able to purchase the new San Andreas design. The Fury seems like a really good bike, but it's still super heavy. Good luck.

Favorite Trail:   Backside of Mt. Gretna - governer dick, #4 I think

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign 2 - a way better choice, Specialized 01 Enduro FSR, GT LTS 2, Pro-Flex

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi MX Pro Fork, Cane Creek Cloud Nine rear shock, XT all around, WTB dual duty rims, WTB Mutanoraptor tires, Thomson Elite Seatpost, Weyless Riser bar and stem.

Submitted by Matt Johnson a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2007

Strengths:    Adjustability and ability to aapt to any tye of riding.

Weaknesses:    Spongy with wrong setup - but can be corrected easily with todays shocks

Bottom Line:
Best bike I ever had before some scumbag took it from my garage. I think it should be listed as a All Mountain, but who am I to say. I decided to look for a different bike to replace it and found exactly what I wanted - the new MC San Andreas DNA which I will reveiw after I get a chance to ride. Looked at Specialized, Santa Cruz, Turner and Titus and could not find one that fit my needs. I would highly recommend this to anyone that wants a bike to do everything well and then some. Spend some time and money to get a good rear shock setup and you will never want a different bike. Do not get this bike if you want to avoid attention.

Purchased At:   Rage Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Turner 5 spot, Specialized FSR, Santa Cruz Heckler

Bike Setup:   XT, Stratos Helix, AM3 forks, Race Face cranks, Bontrager..

Submitted by Mark Reece a Cross Country Rider from Asheville, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2007

Strengths:    great value seems indestructable i like the adjustable geomentry.

Weaknesses:    Rear tire clearance.

Bottom Line:
My home trails have enough anual rainfall that they are just short of being a rainforest. The rear tire clearance is a deal killer here. Mud is scraped from the tire by the frame and piles up eventualy a rock will get stuck inbetween the tire and the frame and lock the rear wheel if it does not lock it is like pediling with the brakes on.
If you live in a dry area it would make a perfect bike. if not you may want to think about anouther bike.

Favorite Trail:   reecmark@hotmail.com

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Orange Patriot

Bike Setup:   nixon fork, 3 way rear shock, magura brakes, 3 rings, xt ish

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Henderson Nv.

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2007

Strengths:    Can set it up for any kind of riding except XC racing.

Weaknesses:    None so far after a year of hard riding.
Some people think Mountain Cycle has gone chapter 11, even though they have not.

Bottom Line:
I love this thing, its a great bike for someone that can only afford one bike, but wants to thrash the trails.

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar XLT. (A terrible bike)

Bike Setup:   Swinger 3-way and minute two.
Rhyno Lite wheelset.

Submitted by Pedal Shop a Weekend Warrior from Ashburn VA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2006

Strengths:    rides nice, good weight, clean lines, you can't break it...

Weaknesses:    where in the world did Mountain Cycle go?

Bottom Line:
This is one of the bikes I started to use when dipping my tow into the freeridey water. It's has what it takes for sure. fun bike to ride but, I'm really pissed off about the constant turn over at MC headquarters. It's getting old. I have been selling them off and on for several years and they have changed hands I think 3 times now. What's up with that? I have a MoHoSliX I'd like to warranty but nobody wants to pony up and commit. I tried calling them but the phones always kick into voice mail... none of the email addresses work except this one and although I did get a couple messages back, lately, I have gotten nada from them: not a "hey sorry we're busy getting set back up", nothing, not even a peep out of them. You look at the MC website, you'd think they are up and running, kicking new products out the door. NOT here... I'd like to give them a higher rating but if you can't put out even a hint of follow up, who wants to deal with that?

Favorite Trail:   freeridey

Purchased At:   www.pedalshop.com

Similar Products Used:   none really...

Bike Setup:   semi bling, nearl top end SRAM, Zoke 66, all the right stuff.

Submitted by John Neslon a Weekend Warrior from Athens Greece

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2006

Strengths:    Strong simple frame, functional suspension, lots of different setups are possible.
Light weight frmae (if you intent to go for a light bike).

Weaknesses:    It looks different than the .. forest of the tubular frames, so prepared to answer to lots of questions.

Bottom Line:
This bike may seem like.. history, and you'll be right. Mountain Cycle was there at leas 10 years before the rest.
The bike's suspension is working beautifully. Once you get used to the chain feedback then you're able to use it (never truse a review from a editor that rides a different bike every month of a "heretic" roady that will try to hammer up the hill a FS bike!).
The bike is responsive and handles great. Tight turns in hig or pow speed are pure fun.
The bike climbs really good, as soon as you have masterd it's way.

I would dare to say that this bike has reached it's highest evolution stage. Not more upgrates nessesary. The last one, where the lowest mount of the shock is placed inside the arch of the suspension arm, is all it needed.
I do like the clasic version more (that's what i have anyway)

Mountain Cycle was very responsive to my request for a new deraileur hanger, i needed a few months ago. Their cuctomer support is very good....

Favorite Trail:   The.. 10, Agios Georgios, Mola trail, Parnitha

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS TEAM (the very first model), IDEAL VSR, Prototype carbon bike (ok, this is not simmilar at all!)

Bike Setup:   Now.
Manitou SHERMAN, FOX Vanilla at the rear, Full XT drive train (no large disk fron, custom bashring there), Old (first generation XT 4 piston disk brakes, DMR stem, DRM saddle, Titec seatpost (tunable - 2 pieces), DMR fron hub, Mavic 317 rims, NOKIAN NBX 2,5 rear, GAZALOGGI 2,6 front. Cris King headset.

Submitted by Hammer from Novi MI

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2006

Strengths:    durability, adjustabililty of frame settings, versatility on varied terrain, rarity on trail, old, but highly refined design

Weaknesses:    weight, high BB in some cornering situations, UNCERTAIN future of Mountain Cycle

Bottom Line:
Third review for this bike. Still the best money I've ever spent on a bike (out of about 10 mtn bikes over the last 20 years). Frame's ability to handle different setups: Boxxer ride with 8" discs and 2.7's for DH and huck, Fox Vanilla 140 with 2.3"s and triple ring for all mountain/trailbike, Psylo with 2.3"s kenetics and lightweight xc parts for 'regular' trail rides. Can do anything.

No problems with pivots, bearings, cracks, damage (besides scratched paint) after 4000miles on all types of trails.

More active and stiff than several 4bar bikes i have ridden or owned, and gives the confidence that you can jump or drop through anything and still have an intact bike. Rims might get whacked though.

Can build it down and light for a XC race one weekend and win, and build it up and heavy for DH/FR the next weekend-Snowshoe Yo!

Half the price of others, and twice the performance and options with one frame. Bullitt comes close, but no ability to build light with less travel and correct geometry with a shorter fork.

The original an still the best.

Hope MC gets their shait together to give us more perfect bikes.

Favorite Trail:   poto

Purchased At:   adrenaline bikes

Similar Products Used:   heckler, bullitt, rubicon, stinky, 4banger, pantera, switchblade, enduro, ampb5, fake boobs

Bike Setup:   04 frame w/vanilla r, 07 vanilla 140r, 8" cable avids, full XT, 2.5" timberwolf race on Bombshell fatboy, king HS,

Submitted by mark klimaszewski a Weekend Warrior from worcester ma

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2006

Strengths:    strong frame looks killer

Weaknesses:    cable routing

Bottom Line:
this bike is the best all mountain /trail bike you cam buy for under 2500 its as good as any bike out there that coast almost twice as much it does it all great bike.

Favorite Trail:   ma trails

Purchased At:   adrenaline bikes

Similar Products Used:   uzzi slx vpp free rm6

Bike Setup:   marzocchi/z1/out law fsa/truvative/dh fox dhx 5.0

Submitted by Eric W. a Weekend Warrior from Henderson Nv.

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2006

Strengths:    It just plain works almost anywhere a person points it, and that includes uphill or downhill.
At least 100 times better than a Jamis Dakar XLT!!!
Handles tight single track or downhill speeds with ease.
Tall bottom bracket lets a person pedal through rock gardens and over obsticles with ease.

Weaknesses:    None that I've found yet in 6 months and several hundred miles of riding.

Bottom Line:
Since I built this bike in January, I haven't had to do a thing but true the wheels a couple of times and service the fork once. Nothing has come loose while riding and no bearings have shattered. I simply love this thing.
I only name bikes that I really love and this one is the first one in 6 years to get a name. I named her "Donna" after the big red head in "That 70s Show". This is very fitting since her "lover's" name is Eric, He, he.
This bike reminds me of an 2000 Stumpjumper FSR that I used to own ( and still miss ) except it has 6 inchs of travel.
I had heard bad things about pedal feedback in single pivot bikes, but this thing doesn't have enough to bother me once it got set up with the right spring and I figured out what SPV pressures to use.
If you can only afford one bike and like some rough terrain and XC / trailbiking , you should seriously consider the San Andreas. It may be "old school" but the damn thing works like a charm.

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg Canyon

Purchased At:   Adrenaline

Similar Products Used:   I had a POS Jamis for 18 months that constantly broke things.

Bike Setup:   Swinger 3-way rear, Minute One up front and Pricepoint's awsome and legendary Rhyno lites on XT hubs with DT spokes.

Submitted by Jang Shian (Yin) Chen a Weekend Warrior from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2006

Strengths:    Stylist design, monocoque frame, durablity & front fork protector...Lots of CNC parts...

Weaknesses:    I am a non bias user. So far i seem everythings great & didn't found any weakness on it. But some comment is on the sub frame of the seat. Its seem a little bit difficult to adjust from 2nd hole to 1st hole point...But no problem only adjust once a while...Gap under the sub frame to adjust spring tension is too close, difficult to adjust.

Bottom Line:
Finally i owned this baby. I slept together with it once a while...
Is a masterpiece & a legend of mountain bike...Mountain Cycle done lots of r&d on it & doesn't compromise on quality,safety & relaiblity...
Thanks "MC" well done..