Motobecane Fantom Trail DS All Mountain Full Suspension

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)
MSRP : $1995.00

• FRAME 7005 SL Double butted aluminum mainframe and chainstays, box-section seatstays, cold-forged dropouts with replaceable rear derailleur hanger. Active4B adjustable rear linkage (3/4/5 inches of travel) Sealed precision bearing pivots
  • REAR SHOCK KS AXIS CoilOver with LOCKOUT and Preload adjust
  • FORK RockShox DART3 ADJUSTABLE REBOUND (120MM) TurnKey
  • LOCKOUT, 1.125" steel steerer tube
  • HEADSET Ritchey Sealed Bearing threadless 1 1/8 inch
  • DERAILLEURS Shimano Deore front derailleur, Shimano SLX long cage rear derailleur
  • SHIFTERS Shimano Deore, Rapid Fire 27 speed, trigger shift
  • CRANK / BB FSA Dyna-Drive 22/32/44T / FSA Powerdrive BB-8420 Sealed Bearing
  • CHAIN KMC Z9000 9 speed
  • BRAKES Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc front and rear, 160mm rotors
  • BRAKE LEVERS Avid FR5 for Disc brakes
  • WHEELS WTB SpeedDisc doublewall aluminum | Gravity Rubber Sealed Ball Bearing for Disc with Quick Release | Black finish, Butted Stainless steel spokes 32fr/32rr
  • TIRES Panaracer FireXC PRO 26x2.1 / Presta Valve tubes
  • SEAT / POST / CLAMP WTB SpeedV / Ritchey COMP Aluminum 350x31.6mm / Machined SL Aluminum with CrMo bolt
  • BAR / STEM / GRIPS Ritchey Rizer SC Butted Aluminum 6061 T6 31.8mm / Ritchey Comp Aluminum 31.8mm clamp / WTB Dual Compound
  • PEDALS Gravity DualStage Clipless/Platform
  • EXTRAS N/A

Submitted by walter f. mcguire III

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2012

Strengths:    super inexpensive frame! can take a crazy beating! i also ride a dh bike and do a lot of freeriding on my other gravity bikes and i treat this frame the same way.:) i have been treating it like a dh bike when the trails point down and it is still going strong. i am amazed. i thought it would be cracked by now. i am in no wat trying to break it but i love to ride fast technical terrain and it just keeps going. impressed to say the least. i run 2.5 maxxis minions front and rear and plenty of clearance.

Weaknesses:    the weight is a bit heavy and the suspension design does lock out a bit under braking. most designs of this type do though. acts just like my old kona so im used to it.

Bottom Line:
amazing frame for the price. i purchased the frame and rear shock on line for around 350.00! i have been ridding this bike very hard for about 4 years now at least and it just keeps going. i weight about 180 lbs so not a heavy rider but a dh rider at heart so i push this bike hard. its my all mountain/xc/dh bike when im with my non gravity friends. i am running 8 inch rotors front and rear. 2.5 wide tires, 6 inch fork, dh stem and wide bars and it just keeps turning out the miles. it will be a sad day when this little girl dies... :( i have other bikes waiting to take her place but feel like she has life left in her. my friends think im crazy the stuff i ride on this bike. i push her hard and fast and hit jumps, rock gardens, and steep chutes with relish. wow!

Submitted by fishy a Weekend Warrior from dallas tx

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2011

Strengths:    does everything you want it to and can take a beating

Weaknesses:    it is a bit on the heavy side

Bottom Line:
you just can't beat the price and all the components that come with the bike and with all the money saved you can buy other mtb gear vs feeling like you over paid like my buddies

Favorite Trail:   northshore

Submitted by reviewer man a Downhiller from Utah

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2011

Strengths:    I bought this bike because I was tired of riding cheap Smiths Market bikes. So I researched for a bike for about two months and I finally found this one. I bought this because it was cheap and the suspension was good. I got this for use as a beginner downhill bike and it has been working out great. The suspension is a little stiff but it works enough to keep you from bouncing all over the trail at high speeds.

Weaknesses:    The only weaknesses on this bike are that the width of the tires are too thin and you slip when you try to turn onto bumps above one inch. Another is the frame, the top tube is too level and it makes you lean more too the front of the bike when you go downhill.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this is a great bike for anyway you want to use is it. I have crashed and done crazy things to this bike and its still basically brand new. A very tough bike all the way around.

Favorite Trail:   Park City

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Bike Setup:   I got a new box stem for downhill and bigger tires.

Submitted by smain1971 a Weekend Warrior from Winter Park, CO

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2011

Strengths:    Very High end components, Comfortable ride, good customer service, great price.

Weaknesses:    Crank is carbon (not good for downhill with lots of rocks), grips, tires, handlebars

Bottom Line:
Ridden a hard tail for years and havent hit any downhills in awhile. Just purchased the Motobecane as I didnt want to drop $4,500 on a great setup. Took the bike to a great local bike shop (Bicycle Village) who did a great job helping me with upgrading items and building the bike. Gotta tell you, this bike looks awesome and rides great on the flats. Can't wait to get it on the mountain in the summer. Everyone at the bike shop were amazed at what I paid for the bike and said the components were worth more than what I paid for the bike. Will let everyone know how it rides when I hit the downhills in the summer. Giving it a great on the overall rating but will update once I hit the downhills in a couple of months.

Favorite Trail:   Bull Run

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper (hardtail)

Bike Setup:   Traded out Rictchy handlebars for some Bontrager Risers. Bontrager grips, WTB Prowler MX 2.3 tires (for Kendas), Shimano Clipless M545 pedals, Avid Exlixer brakes, Shimano Dynasys shifters and derailer, FSA SL-K Crankset, Rockshox Reba RL Ti and Rockshox Monarch RT3, Vuelta Superlite Team Rims

Submitted by plochoc a Weekend Warrior from Berlin, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2010

Strengths:    Frame - The frame feels solid and the geometry lets you ride aggressively and still feel comfortable.
Fork - The fork (rockshox 3) works amazing, it only has preload and lockout, but thats all I need, i only need to use the lockout on roads and extended climbs.
Rear Shock - The Shock feels a little springy, but it doesn't bob too much and keeps you connected unless you lock your rear brakes on pavement or hardpack, then it seems to jump around. It has lock out but I rarely feel I need to use it unless I'm on roads.
Tires - The panaracer xc fire pro tires took a little getting used to for me, but once I started riding them I really like them, they roll a little slow, but they make up for it by holding on to everything and powering through mud well.
Brakes - The avid bb5's are sold and love them, mine have started to squeak alot, but i really don't mind and the brakes can stop all of me (200+lbs) barreling down hill.
Shifters, etc - The bike, once you tune it up shifts smooth and clean, and i rarely need ever shift out of the second front gear.
Shipping - the bike got here on time and packaged well, everything contained and protected.

Weaknesses:    Grips - Slippery and uncomfortable
Pedals - one side clipless, one side platform with rubber (what?!). Its not worth it if u ride platform, just buy some legit pedals, im saving these for my road bike once i break down and get some clipless shoes.
Seat - rather uncomfortable, you'll probably get used to it, i did, but it was not fun at all.
Plastic Chain Ring Spoke Protector thing between the cassette and rear wheel - breaks and just causes problem, just take it off.

Bottom Line:
Great Value!
Great Price!
The bike isn't perfect, but if you need a first bike, or want a full suspension and don't want to pay out of the wazoo for an expensive one yet, this bike will keep you happy and riding, the components are great and the bike is extremely versatile.

Favorite Trail:   Middlesex (Cockoponset State Park)

Purchased At:   BikesDirect.com