Maverick ML8 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.96/5 (26 Reviews)

You can feel the lineage from the original ML7, but the ML8 offers an unmatched 6.5-inches of travel in a sub-30-pound bike. The combination of its monocoque frame, Monolink suspension design, integrated rear shock, and the perfectly matched DUC32 fork give the ML8 an exclusive position in the mountain bike world...a light but very tough trail bike that climbs just as proficiently as it descends. As with any Maverick, the ML8 is great for lots of different kinds of riding, but its heart is aggressive trail riding with a large diversity of terrain. It handles bumps better than any plush feeling “all mountain” style bike thanks to Parallel Path Technology. But don’t be fooled, it’s extremely nimble and climbs as efficiently as any “cross-country” bike out there.

• Frame: ML8 Hard Anodized (XL - Black)
  • Fork: 12 Fox 32 Float 150 RLC FIT 15QR Kashima
  • Crankset: Shimano SLX
  • Shifters: SRAM X-7 Trigger 10 spd
  • Rear Brake: Avid Elixir 5
  • Wheels: Mavic Crossride

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by stamatis a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2014

Strengths:    Weight, classic design, monolink

Weaknesses:    No

Bottom Line:
    Great bike. No bobing , no noises, easy to service, too stiff.
    Classic design.
    One bike for all. Great quality.

Favorite Trail:   M5

Race Face Deus Cranks
    Sram X0

Submitted by Steve

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2013

Strengths:    lt's a DH - bomber , lt's a goat herder - climber , lt's a XC - marathoner , lt's American made dudes and dude'ets . ML8 is solid on the nasty gnar , no noise, no handle bar buzz feedback nada just wind rushing past my ears. The DUC 32 mates perfectly so the front end feel 'integrated' and tight going fast down small single or over large natural features. On swooping flow track - corners or down rain bar rutted roads the ML8 turns and changes lines 'instinctively' no need to force anything, this bike snaps quickly. ML8 quickly made me a much better rider, it also scared me and exposed my lack of expertise and lame technique just as quickly lol . Like a Ducati this ain't no Suzuki .

Could You imagine an ML8 Carbon !

Climbing is magical so mellow and yet so powerful none of that HT nastiness. ( SRAM X7 3x9 ) .

Looks so zexy , everyone is Your friend ( even Cam Zink on the slopes with ML8 under Your baggies , lol.)

You will find Yourself staring at Your ML8 cause it has a certain motocross- gear head appeal , Youl be washing it every single time after a session. Mav's are holding there value

Weaknesses:    Out of biz bro, sorry go to E-bay or a good CL search engine . Lucky Maverick has a cult following here on MTBR . Ethan F is Yoda, the man with all the old new stock parts and fork-frame build expertise. Your local wrench may have a hard time understanding the tips & tweaks needed to dial a Maverick and or a DUC32 , so best to join the forum and put Your learning hat on.

Front D must be the right one . could be frustrating so go by the book .

DUC32 is a engineers fork , needs to be a far amount of ' trial and dial' to find the right Re & Damp for You.

Got to source spares and keep a stash.

Every scumbag tweaker wants to steal my ML8 , so get a large chain and lock and keep Your Glock on You lol....PEACE

Bottom Line:
    1st was amazed at the look of the bike, it sucked me in, then came to find out the engineering, design and chops are for real.

Submitted by zx1200r a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2012

Strengths:    A REAL all mountain bike.

Weaknesses:    As said before, out of business.

Bottom Line:
    Paid £540 (about $850) for the frame around 2mths ago. This thing is marvelous, I leave my mate on tight twisting single track either on his Lapierre or Orange. I did a blue run on strava which includes a 1.1km fire road exposed climb and tight/swoopy single track to post 8th fastest time of 140 runners according to strava you can bet some will be riding carbon straws! Rides rocks roots and the back end is lovely and stable. going fast is a hoot feeling the rear lift sideways knowing it'll line up fine. My jumps are limited to around 7-8ft long table tops with 4-5ft drop offs and feels stable in the air, just sucks up the landings The only short coming on this bike is this rider. It weighs the same as my steel hard tail 33lbs which from what I've read is a bit above the average build. Frames are still available and at that price a steal. I was looking to buy a mojo or whyte 146, this saved me £2000, happy days :)

Favorite Trail:   Llandegla, north Wales

Duration Product Used:   2months

Purchased At:   Jejames, Sheffield

Similar Products Used:   Marin wolfridge, Ragley bluepig

Bike Setup:   Matched it with xfusion 170mm coil fork, slx crank 2x10 drivetrain, Roval EL wheelset, xt shifters/brakes, maxxis dominion fr/rr, reverb dropper, 60mm stem, 25mm x 711mm bars 38mm rise.

Submitted by stoker1223 a All Mountain Rider from Encinitas, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2012

Strengths:    The suspension puts power to the ground allowing incredible climbing excellence. Technical sections whether up or down are never an issue. The bke bombs down any fire road or singletrack with ease. The overall bike is really tough and mechanically sound. Love the geometry and stand over height. the ML8 is like having two bikes in one.

Weaknesses:    Maverick went out of business

Bottom Line:
    I have a ML8 and love it. The best bike I have ever had, by far. A couple of good friends of mine also have n ML8 and they call it the perfect bike. They have had them for a 5 years and have had no problems at all. And these guys ride their bikes hard.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Ibis Mojo, Ellsworth Moment, Ventana EL Ciclon, Yeti 575,

Bike Setup:   Full Sram Xo, Hope brakes ectttt...

Submitted by HPzie a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2012

Strengths:    Awesome

Bottom Line:
    Awesome for just about everything, climb, descent, drops (8-10f) .... Does it all

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Similar Products Used:   SantaCruz

Bike Setup:   Duc32 front

Submitted by crawfose@onid.orst.edu a Racer from Corvallis, OR

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2011

Strengths:    Climbing. Descending. Dropping 5 footers. Rock gardens. Slaying dragons on the weekend.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    The best bike I have ever ridden, period. Got a great deal on my ML8 after my Klein Palomino was stolen. My Klein was a really, really nice bike and this one is just a notch better. The extra travel, the plushness, and the weight of this bike make it untouchable. The build on this weighs in at about 1 pound more than my Klein did (28 vs 29 lbs), but you gain so much more in terms of confidence, huckability, overall stability while still maintaining incredible climbing capabilities. If you can afford it, but it. If you can't afford it, sell blood until you can.

Favorite Trail:   Northridge

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Klein Palomino

Bike Setup:   DUC32 fork, XT cranks, XT/XTR brakes, shifters, and derailleurs, Mavic 819 wheels, Maverick 24/7 front hub, Chris King rear hub, Thompson elite seat post, etc.

Submitted by baha_boater a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Strengths:    What can I add to what has been said... Climbs like a goat on fire, descends like a freight train, smooth and quiet. I was riding an Ellsworth Epiphany with all top shelf parts which is a fine bike and got tired of my buddy constantly riding away from me on climbs with his ML 7.5 with a double crown fork!!! So I purchased a Matic with SC32 and that was good but not like his 7.5. Bought a left over ML8 and it has become my favorite bike by far. Moved all my good parts over and had Suspension Experts trick out the DUC that is all she wrote. Everybody who throws a leg over it falls in love and is ruined for going back to their own rides. I have had guy's off high end 4" XC racing bikes rave over the climbing ability of the Maverick Mono Like Suspension. It is cool to walk away from a 4" bike when riding a 6.5" monster who would have thought that was possible. It is!!!

Weaknesses:    None really... Needs to be setup correctly but rewards you with an unbelievable ride up or down.

Bottom Line:
    It is not "new" or have twelve links, brain shocks which it does not need or whatever but in my mind if it ain't broke don't fix it. I would not trade this bike for anything out there right now regardless of price. I sold the Maverick Matic w/DUC (Upgraded) to a buddy so I will probably pick up a Pivot 429 if I can find a deal on one. But my ML8 will still be my do it all ride I have no doubt of that.

If there were 10 Chilis I would peg them both..

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon Mountain

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth ISIS, Ellsworth Epiphany, Maverick Matic, Maverick 7.5, Cannondale Prophet, Gary Fischer

Bike Setup:   DUC fork with IFP upgrade & Anno caps custom tuned by Suspension Experts in Ashville NC, Formula Puro Oro Brakes, XTR 9 speed, DT Swiss 3.2 Rims Dt Swiss W/240 rear and Maverick Front Hubs, Continental 2.4 Trail King Tires, Thompson Seat Post, Fisik Seat

Submitted by vetprowanab a Weekend Warrior from Firestone, CO

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    PLUSHNESS! Solid frame construction. Very confidence inspiring. Through axle fork.

Weaknesses:    I never learned to rebuild the fork or rear damper myself. This would save you some time and money.

Bottom Line:
    Love this bike. Made me feel 5 years younger instantly. Great climbing bike...not for it's weight, just a great climbing bike period. Very stiff front end with the DUC32 fork and the coil sprung assisted rear damper make it feel like a downhiller that can climb and eat up singletrack. If you want a bike that can bomb the downhills and hammer the climbs...this is it. I tend to like my bikes to have "soft" suspension which this one can certainly handle. Very comfortable plus it's strong as nails.

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest

Purchased At:   Maverick

Similar Products Used:   Yeti 575 (2006 model), numerous XC oriented bikes all the way back to 1991.

Bike Setup:   DUC32 fork with Maverick hub, Mavic 823 rims, X9 3x9 build kit, Maverick speedball R seat post (awesome), Hayes 9 brakes, fat tubeless tires, 32 pounds.

Submitted by mimi1885 a Weekend Warrior from Pasadena CA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2010

Strengths:    Climbing
    Plushness
    relatively light weight

Weaknesses:    Small is a bit large for my 5'7". As even adj post all the way down still in the way a bit.

Bottom Line:
    This is an update, it's my second ML8, So now I have small and med. This one with the Hammerschmidt and Wotan fork come in a bit heavier than my first ML8. it's now 32.2lbs.

It still climbs really well, as the matter of fact I can out climb most my buddies with lighter bike on the technical stuffs as I can carry more momentum onto the climb.

The Hammer-link is just plain awesome, just mount and go. No facing no spacers. I do not any performance difference between the HS set up and the triple set up. So to confirm what Maverick told me HS system does not effect the pedaling.

Favorite Trail:   Rock-it

Similar Products Used:   Ibis mojo, Ellsworth Moment, Santa Cruz BLTC,Nomad, Cannondale prohet, Titus motolite, too many to list them all.

Bike Setup:   ML8, Hammerschmidt AM, Magura Wotan, XT shifter/der. KS i950r, Industry nine enduro wheelset, Tioga Psycho Genius 2.35

Submitted by ryan2100 a Weekend Warrior from Santa Rosa

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2009

Strengths:    Climbing
    Descending
    Maneuvering Technical Terrain

Weaknesses:    Honestly, none that I can think of

Bottom Line:
    If you are looking for an all mountain bike you want one that climbs well and descends well, but always have to compromise on on or the other, it is in this regard that the ML8 is different. My ML8 is a bit on the heavy side 29ish lbs with the heavy gustav brakes, but it climbs faster and more efficiently then any bike I've ever ridden. The monolink suspension blows away any other design in terms of its efficiency and comfort, no pedal bob at all and no need for a lock out, not to mention that since the rear shock is integrated with the frame the stiffness is unmatched.
    Now for the best part, the 6in of front travel and 6.5" or rear travel is just ridiculous for a bike weighing less than 30lbs (you could easily get this to 26ish lbs if you wanted). This thing just rips down hills, and again like climbing is the best descending bike I've ridden. The Duc32 has had mixed reviews, due only in part to the extreme amount of adjustments you can make to it, if you spend time dialing it in to your riding style, it is unmatched, 6in travel at 3.9lbs!

Bottom line if you want a bike that you can use absolutely everywhere and have perform amazingly that you need to get an ML8. I can think of anyone that wouldn't want this to be there only bike in the garage.

Favorite Trail:   South and North Burma

Purchased At:   multiple sources

Similar Products Used:   Maverick Matic, Specialized enduro, specialized stumpjumper, santa cruz superligh, giant vt1, mountain cycles san andreas

Bike Setup:   Mavic 819/823 combo, sram xo, shimano xtr, magura gustav, maverick DUC32 fork

Submitted by bianchibuddy a Cross Country Rider from Lyons, CO

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Strengths:    just a great ride! has it all: strong, lightish, looks great, ride quality is amazing!

Weaknesses:    Give me too much confidence? F deraileur setup is tricky.

Bottom Line:
    Just a sick bike overall. I have never riden anything faster on my local trails. Seriously climbs like a hardtail on smooth, hardpack trails and better then anything else on rocky, technical climbs. Descends about as well as my old Foes DHS tube which had a boxxer on the front.

Favorite Trail:   any and all I can ride from home

Purchased At:   CL

Similar Products Used:   ML7, Turner Burner, Turner 5 spot, few I-Drives, DHI, Foes DHS tube, Schwinn Straight 6, Straight 8, 4 banger, Rocket 88,

Bike Setup:   ML8, DUC, Sram XO & 9.0 drivetrain, XT cranks, Mavic 823 rims on Mav & WTB hubs, Conti MTN Kings 2.4 tubeless

Submitted by sxotty a Weekend Warrior from PA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Strengths:    The best bike I have ridden with no doubt. Awesome climber, great descender. The customer service from Maverick was always stellar even though I bought used and was not reticent to say so. I bought a used frame and swapped components as I could not afford a new one.

Weaknesses:    It is not the lightest frame ever (though it has a lot of travel). MSRP, but that is the case for all high end bikes.

Bottom Line:
    A wonderful bike from a wonderful company. Given how well they treat people it is practically criminal I did not already leave a review. I put value as high b/c I got a great deal and to me it was the best value I could imagine.

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky Deelux ( ), ellsworth id, SC nomad

Bike Setup:   DUC32, XTR brakes, rear D, Race face cranks

Submitted by E-l8ted a Weekend Warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2009

Strengths:    Climbs as well as it tackles rough, perfect balance of strength/weight, admirably against the grain.

Weaknesses:    Tricky to finesse front shifting. Ideally built by someone familiar with Maverick frames.

Bottom Line:
    I worshiped my Turned 5 Spot, rode it hard in Moab, Northstar and around SF bay. Then I stumbled upon newly opened www.passiontrailbikes.com (heaven in a bike shop - thanks Charles & gang) as they took Maverick on. I rode ML7 at test day was very impressed. I then borrowed ML8 for my favourite trails .... shocked, so shocked I sold 5 Spot and the rest is history. ML8 is an often misunderstood frame; have one built by someone who know Maverick products, helps spec ideal components and then completes the setup correctly, and you have a magnificent machine capable of all-day epics to close to serious downhill. If you want a bike that lives in the garage, but delivers on your ride of the day; ML8 is perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Fir / Manzanita

Purchased At:   Passion Trail Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Nomad, various Ellsworth, Yeti, Cannondale .....

Bike Setup:   Blk anno, Blk anno Duc (tuned correctly) & stem, 717s on blue C-King hubs, matching blue spoke nipples. Saint brakes, XTR960 rear/ 106 Triple front der, WTB Devo + Speedball post, RaceFace Deus XC chainset + SRAM 990/991, RaceFace Next bar, WTB Mutano's / Raptor's. 30lb dead with 525 pedals.

Submitted by ssirany a Weekend Warrior from Rancho Penasquitos (san diego)

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2008

Strengths:    up and down hill like no others

Weaknesses:    water bottle cage mounting place sucks. gets da bottle dirty & is hard to reach. maybe on da seat tube?

Bottom Line:
    Money well spent on this Frame/Fork. Worth every penny. It is true all mountain bike. It can be an XC or it can be DH. Whatever you prefer, this bike does it all. I LOVE MY ML8! if y'all from san diego area & read this. y'all know me, i'm de only one who has this bike set up. u know what i'm talking about, u seen me around of all da trails in san diego county.

Favorite Trail:   2 many