Maverick Durance All Mountain Full Suspension

• Spokes: DT DB 2.0/1.8
  • Handlebars: FSA 25mm rise 25.4

Submitted by Roraigh a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2010

Strengths:    Incredibly robust and light. Hill climbing second to none

Weaknesses:    Need some special tools for suspension servicing and spare parts are more difficult to get quickly in Europe

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike two years ago from a friend. It is now six years old and apart from routine replacement of smallarts (chainset, brake pads, monolink bearings) it has all the original parts. It climbs like a mountain goat - no flexing under pressure like some full suspension machines. I do all my own maintenance and apart from full strip of forks (DUC) and the rear shock, I can do everything with standard tools and the manuals on Maverick's website.

For its size and travel, the weight is incredible. Mine weighs in at 27 lbs. This is impressive for an aluminium framed bike of this toughness.

I have hammered it every weekend and two years in a row coming down Mount Kenya in the 10 to 4 race in Africa. I've ridden it hard in Wales and in the Alps in France. Coming down big descents is a real joy with the degree that it stays true to line and soaks up the punishment I give it. Since installing the blue Enduro oil seals on the forks, the fork legs are bone dry and smooth as silk. I have blagged rides on every bike I can, nothing I have ridden is as good as the Mav! I also like riding a bike that is a bit different to the run of the mill XC bikes.

Cost new is expensive, but if I needed a replacement, I would simply buy another one.

Favorite Trail:   Alps (France)

Purchased At:   Bought second-hand (

Similar Products Used:   Trek Evo

Bike Setup:   Mavic tubeless rims, Chris King rear hub, Mono dual piston brakes, XTR drivechain

Submitted by RustyMallard a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2009

Strengths:    Climbs like a billy goat,the harder you pedal the harder it bites into the ground. Pedals like a hard tail. Makes downhills easy and fast. Un-real how well this bike performs. Rails corners like it is on a track.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness was the stock tires,Huthchinson Barracudas,They were only good in soft loamy soil. Swithching to Kenda Nevegals made a night and day difference.

Bottom Line:
I first rode this bike at the Interbike Dirt Demo, and instantly fell in love with the way it rode. I compared it to a lot of high end XC and All Mountain bikes,all of them were very nice, but the Maverick was the only one that I thought was worth spending my money on. The other bikes rode so similar to my bike it wasn't worth parting with the hard earned green backs. The Maverick is a different beast altogether,it instills confidence down hill and climbs like a goat.The bike appears heavy(looks are decieving) so people are very surprised how fast it is. The shifting of both derailers is the best I have ever had.(I was slighlty concerned about the front,because of a post I read here. It is not an issue).The suspension is easily adjustable. The travel is Plush. The lockout on the fork works great,but I rarely need to use it. The remote adjustable seatpost is incredible(I was going to remove it to lighten the bike,no way,now that I have used it.) Bottom Line this is the BEST BIKE I have ever bought(I have a lot of bikes). Customer service has been excellent and personable. Chris and Mike really care about their customers and actually remember who you are.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mtn

Purchased At:   T-town bicycles Tuls

Similar Products Used:   S-works Enduro,S-works Stumpjumper,Enduro

Bike Setup:   Mavericks SL70:SRAM XO,w/XTR cranks DT Swiss rims hub and spokes ect. Maverick(crank bro joplin)seat post,WTB saddle,Easton Monkey lite handlebars,Juicy Ultimate brakes. Very nice spec.

Submitted by font9a a Weekend Warrior from Austin

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2008

Strengths:    rides any category of riding without considering whatever you thought you might ride.

Weaknesses:    proprietary parts (o-rings, bearings, small parts)

Bottom Line:
This is just a follow up review after last year's. I learned how to really climb technical stuff this year by riding with fellows who don't put in miles, they just session sections. That has helped my riding immensely.

The pump tracks in Austin rule. At least 3 times a week I work out at the pump track. It's so different from my DJ bike, but makes me 17 times a better rider -- keeps the core so super strong.

Maintenance has been a dream once I invested in the right tools (not inexpensive: use only Park, Mac, Craftsman, Pedros, or Snap-On).

2 years of hard riding later and my bike feels brand new again.

-- f9a

Favorite Trail:   Troy Built Loop; Jedi Trails; Rattlesnake

Purchased At:   wrench science

Similar Products Used:   Ellesworth, Santa Cruz, Specialized Epic & 2008 Enduro, SEVEN, Klein, Yeti, CycleCraft

Bike Setup:   XTR, XO, Avid Ultimates (203 rotors), King hubs, etc etc

Submitted by burgundy snake a Weekend Warrior from Bay Area, California

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2008

Strengths:    Climbing – Unrivaled! I can clean sections easily now that I’ve never been able to do in 15 years of riding and on a heavier bike! It climbs like a mountain goat. The DURANCE has excellent tracking and sticky traction with no pedal feedback. The rear tire stays firmly planted. It still gives me that giddy feeling after climbing and surviving a knarly section of loose single track, like Toad’s!

Descending – Magic carpet ride! Smooth descent with no brake jack. Hang on and enjoy the ride! When it's all over, pinch yourself to ensure you're not dreaming!

Weaknesses:    $$$ Although you get what you pay for. With that being said, it is well worth it! So it is not really a weakness, but rather an investment.

Bottom Line:
Ride Style: All-Mountain - epic climbs, raging technical descents.

I wanted something that would outperform my Truth in every way. I was fed up with all the marketing hype, and shops pushing what they carried. I wanted to know the true performance and the engineering behind the design. So I spent a 6-months researching, sketching free-body diagrams, and performing dynamic analyses on suspension designs. I wrote my own fit calculator after a ton of research on cycling fit theory and measuring bikes. And I demo’d everything I could find including an IF custom build for a rider my height. I convinced myself that the mono-link was the way to go due to it’s simplicity and performance. Although it was humbling to concede that I may have to go custom. I started a dialogue with SEVEN, then the DURANCE was released in XXL! I Jumped on it. I chose the Specialized E150 XL fork (with upgraded internals) for its size, weight, and performance. (Sorry, you can’t buy the fork separately). When available, the
DUC-36 will be a nice match for this bike.

My DURANCE makes my Truth feel like a fish out of water! Blows away the Remedy and Enduro as well. Demo one to experience the difference. There is a reason SEVEN uses the mono-link. Note: To get the full benefit you must ensure that your front and rear suspension work in unison for your weight. A good shop makes all the difference!

Favorite Trail:   Downieville: Butcher, 3rd-1st divides; Demo Forest:Tractor, Sawpit; Mr. Toads; Northstar

Purchased At:   Passion Trail Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Maverick ML8, Yeti 575, Trek Remedy, Specialized Enduro, Turner 5-Spot, RFX, Ellsworth Truth

Bike Setup:   Frame Maverick Durance XXL
Front Hub Specialized Stout 25
Total Weight: 28lbs

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2008

Strengths:    Active and efficient Monolink suspension. Climbs extremely well. Long travel makes downhill a pleasure.

Weaknesses:    Price. Some Maverick-only parts required.

Bottom Line:
After test riding the Klein Palomino and Seven Duo 5, I knew I wanted a Maverick. I came off of a Specialized Epic and was tired of not having an active rear suspension. My bike before the Epic had a very active rear suspension but was very energy draining. The main selling point for me is the Monolink suspension. Since the bottom bracket travels with the rear wheel, the geometry stays the same and there is no (or no perceived) loss of energy while pedaling. I stay in the saddle and let the suspension keep the wheels firmly planted.

Overall, the bike is a pleasure to ride; uphill, downhill, flats, doesn't matter. I highly recommend checking out any model Maverick builds.

Favorite Trail:   401 in Crested Butte

Purchased At:   built it up myself

Similar Products Used:   Test rode a Klein and Seven with the Monolink suspension. Nothing else can be considered as similar.

Bike Setup:   DUC32 fork. Mavic 819 wheels with Maverick front hub and DT Swiss 240 rear hub. Basically the SL70 build (all X.0 and XTR components).

Submitted by jamie Alackness a Cross Country Rider from Eagle Colorado

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2008

Strengths:    Climbing out of the saddle in big gears, if you like to mash away at the pedals the same way you can on a hardtail look no further. I found myself climbing 2-3 gears higher on the Durance than my Moto-Lite. The DUC fork really suprised me very stiff and smooth.

Weaknesses:    The Mono-Link suspension does stiffen under breaking and through breaking bumps. I only did one ride on the Durance and I think with a few tweaks to the rear strut I could resolve these issues. The front deraileur rubbed slightly in low gears no shifting issues it's just annoying. Like all great bikes the price is high.

Bottom Line:
I was really surprised by this bike. It gives you the sensation that someone is pushing you up the hill as you climb it's sureal. I spent a good amount of time talking to Charlie about tuning the Fork and Strut. The major issue I had with the bike was on the downhill thrugh rocky and rutted sections the rear suspension didn't suck up the bumps as well as My Moto or the Epiphany. That being said Charlie assured me that he could tune the strut to my liking. He had pages and pages of rider feedback and suspension settings depending on weight and riding style. The tuning options are endless and talk about simple. I really enjoyed riding the Durance and think it has great potental. I think it would make a great single speed do to it's climbing prowess. All an all it's a great bike and there aren't many bikes that I would consider better it definatly blows the doors off all the VPP bikes I've ridden and the Epiphany and the Stumpy with the brain shock are probably the only 5inch bikes that can match it's climbing ability. I would tell pretty much anyone to put the Durance on their must ride list. It may just surprise you as much as it did me.

Favorite Trail:   gooseberry mesa

Purchased At:   Mountain Pedaler in Eagle

Similar Products Used:   Titus Moto-Lite current bike, Ellsworth Epiphany, Foes FXR, Yeti 575, Intense Spider29er, Intense 5.5Fro

Bike Setup:   The Durance I rode belonged to Charlie the onwer of Mountain Pedaler and it was built to the nines. It weighed just over 24lbs with pedals. This is stupid light for a bike with this much travel and yet it's still very stiff. Industry Nine wheels are soooo sweet!

Submitted by Benjamin Hartford a Cross Country Rider from Lyons,CO

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2008

Strengths:    Great climber and descender, this bike does it all. The suspension on the Duc 32 is 6" and is huge but still nimble and the rear monolink suspension is money as it is efficient and at 5" give you the ride your looking for. The frame is also ~5.5 lbs so it is among the lightest you will find. Finally, the geometry is solid and you will ride this bike with confidence. I can't tell you how many times I have come down a section of trail and gone off line and thought I was going to yard sale when despite my best efforts to wreck the bike pulls the section out and I just shake my head and thank god and my credit card I got this bike.

Weaknesses:    Well, you have to pay to play with this bike. Performance has its price and that price is expensive. Also, one of the bikes strengths is also a weakness the suspension being proprietary if you have any mechanical issues you may run into issues that require service from Maverick or a shop that stocks parts for repair which may be hard to find if you are on a biking trip.

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I have ever ridden and if you can swing the price tag you will have a permagrin when coming down the mountain

Favorite Trail:   White Ranch

Purchased At:   Maverick

Similar Products Used:   Ellesworth Epiphany

Bike Setup:   Front Susp: Duc 32, Easton Carbon Monkeylite bars, Hope Mono mini pros, Sram XO shifters and rear derailleur, XTR Crank, Shimano R773 Braze-on Triple Front derailleur, Sram 991 hollowpin chain, Crank Bros 4Ti pedals, Stans 349 ZTR rims, DT Swiss revolution spokes, DT Swiss 240 rear Hub, Maverick 24/7 Front Hub, Thompson Masterpiece seatpost, WTB Devo seat, FSA Orbit headset, Sram 990 rear cassette, Kenda tire. Total Weight- 24.5 lbs (I believe this is as light as this bike can get as there are no upgrades from this build) My bike cost more then my car until recently when I got a new one:)

Submitted by Muzza a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2007

Strengths:    Swallows hills like they aren't there. Dialed in feel from Day One, the front and rear suspension work together really well especially on fast undulating terrain. Responsive on singletrack, goes where its pointed. Efficient pedaling.

Weaknesses:    Small bump compliance isn't great and that seem to be about it. Not a major problem in the scheme of things.

No problems with front derailleur at all.

Bottom Line:
I can't believe the difference between this and my old bike.

When I demo'ed the Ventana it was far better than my trusty Marin up hills and on the flat but about the same downhill. The different frame angles and lighter weight were probably the major contributors here.

The Durance is a notch above again. I am faster uphill, faster on single track (5 minutes on a 50 minute loop due to better pedaling efficiency, lighter weight and better handling) and more comfortable downhill. It just feels right.

The only reservation I had before taking delivery (I bought it via the web, there are no NZ agents) was regarding the movement of the bottom bracket. I don't notice it at all.

Service from Leif at Wrench Science was fantastic.

The bike is a weapon. Buy one.

Favorite Trail:   Greenwood PArk / Anaconda

Purchased At:   Wrench Science

Similar Products Used:   Replaces on 98 Marin Rift Zone (Romic rear shock). No comparison really. Demoed a Ventana El Salty which wasn't as good up hill and not as stable on singletrack.

Bike Setup:   DUC32, SRAM X0 rear derallieur and shifters, Easton Monkey MX bar, Oro Puro 200 / 180, FSA Carbon cranks and ceramic bottom bracket, Mavic 819XM UST, Conti Gravity, Brooks Champion special Ti saddle, Ergon grips, Frogs, Jagwire cables.

26.5lbs all up

Submitted by Font Ninea a Weekend Warrior from Austin

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2007

Strengths:    All-around great performer. 6 inches up front, 5+ in the rear. Exceptionally clean design that works efficiently and flawlessly. 2 adjustments on the DUC32, 1 adjustment on the rear strut. (AR-types can further tune the suspension by working with various oils and valves.)

Weaknesses:    Proprietary parts (front Hub, DUC32 fork, rear strut) may be a drawback for some -- although I find Maverick's parts second to none.

Bottom Line:
well, at 25.6 lbs it's the lightest of the 6 inch bikes I've ever ridden. I like climbing, and the weight is certainly nice to get below 30 lbs (Nomad, FXR).

This is the first time I comitted to a full suspension design with 3 rings in front.... I come from the world of rigid and front-sprung singlespeeds. I've added gears from time to time to deal with the mountainous western states, and now my body demands the kind treatment only Maverick can provide.

It's taken me 8 weeks of riding this bike everyday to appreciate how different it is from other bikes. Picking the shortest line, not the smoothest... Pedaling over and though every obstacle, being able to ride twice as far for twice as long and only my legs getting tired...

I don't know if it's the best All Mountain bike out there or not, but it sure feels dialed in, responsive as my hardtail, and so much more forgiving. The weird limestones we have in Central Texas that are always sharp and always pointing the wrong direction really allow this bike to shine the "parallel path" technology. The faster you go, the better the bike handles. (Even though slow-speed handling is excellent.)

I've got it about as light as it can go with lots of lightweight parts and vanity stuff (e.g. pedals, saddle), but wow, what a great experience for 4,6,8 hours in the saddle at a time.

Also, I paid a premium getting it so parted out with custom stuff. The 3999 price is for the base model from Maverick direct with a nice parts kit, but certainly not the fanciest.

Also, I had to invest a bit of money in a lot of mew tools I didn't already own (like an indexed torque wrence, Torx sockets, Avid bleed kit, some Shimano XTR tools, a Mavic eyelet tool for the 819s, a campy bottom bracket tool for the FSA carbon headset, etc., etc.)

This bicycle makes mountain biking feel like cheating.

-- font9a

Favorite Trail:   Dr. Park / 401 /403

Purchased At:   wrench science

Similar Products Used:   Foes FXR, Specialized S-Workd FSR, Ibis Mojo, Santa Cruz Nomad.

Bike Setup:   Avid Juicy Ultimates (185s f/r), XTR crankset and cassette, King+Mavic 819 rear, Maverick 24/7+819 front, SRAM XO triggers and rer. derailleur, Shimano 993 (type-D) front D, crank bros. Candy 4Ti, nipples, grips, Brooks Swallowtail Ti saddle, carbon bars, thompson post, maverick stem, DUC32

Maverick Durance rear shock wiper seal

Anyone... I´ve been riding the Durance for 4 seasons and finally the wiper seal (rear shock) gave in. Tried the Enduro (blue without spring garter) ment for DUC32, but no success. So I am looking for replacement (original), blue 32mm/ 39mm/ 8mm with double spring garter, but where could that be fo ... Read More »

Reverb on a Durance?

Too slack to get a good saddle angle? Or fine? Got fed up with my Speedball, and getting fed up with a KS i900 too, cos well... They're not very reliable! Anyone any pointers?Read More »

New to me - Durance pivot bearing question

Hi I've bought a 2009 Durance, and it arrived earlier today. Required a little assembly , but nothing major. Unfortunately I wasn't able to view or test the bike before buying, but the previous owner assured me everything was in good working order. The Monolink pivot assembly has alot of ... Read More »

Durance vs. TNT 5 Spot

Maverick Owners: I am building a wife, son, friend and back-up bike for me when the trail is not up for a 29r. I am leaning towards purchasing a lightly used Durance frame, but not totally sure of the downside of Maverick bikes. Following are my impressions of the pros and cons of the Durance & 5 ... Read More »

Durance for Light Freeride

I know there are a few threads on the Durance vs ML8 for freeride use but wondering if anyone can chime in on the Durance for light all mountain / freeride use? There is a good deal on one I am looking at right now. Looking for a 6" travel bike between 29-32 lbs for places like this: ... Read More »