Marin Rock Springs All Mountain Full Suspension

• Hayes Hydraulic Disc
  • Shimano 32 Hole Disc

Submitted by mulley a Weekend Warrior from paignton

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2009

Strengths:    fun, easy to ride hard, loves down hills ok up,

Weaknesses:    rear mech hanger already on 3rd one and thats been straightend once, rear sram x7 mech snapped during an xc race for no obvious reason, cheap hubs wore out in no time

Bottom Line:
even though i have spent some money on keeping it going it realy does get used well in all weather and for down hill to xc racing, although it will never win an xc race but is fun watching the serious boys going slow down the drops and big roll ins.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   cycle scene plymouth

Bike Setup:   upgraded to mavic rims and hubs, sram x9 rear mech and sintered brake pads.

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Boylston MA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2007

Strengths:    Frame and suspension. I love the way the bike rides. You can set the feel of the rear anyway you like. Good climber and very controlled on the decents. Virtual pivot point rocks!

Weaknesses:    None. Maybe weight, but for $1,100 who cares? I think of it as getting a better workout.

Bottom Line:
What can I say. Marin is an unsung hero in my book.

Favorite Trail:   Vietnam

Purchased At:   sierratradingpost.com

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension. I come from a hardtail bike. I am blown away with what a full suspension bike can get through.

Bike Setup:   Deore and LX. Good enough since the place I ride tens to eat derailleurs on a regular basis. Black Platinum Fork. Does the job but my buddies Fox is much smoother. Fox Float on the rear. Easy to use and maintenance free. Cable Discs - inexpensive, light and reliable.

Submitted by Michel from Quebec , Canada

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2007

Strengths:    The rear wheel gives a lot of traction during climbs. Rear travel works great while braking. Enough space for 2.5 tires. Great Fox front and rear suspension.

Weaknesses:    You can't slide the seatpost all the way down. You have to change the rear shock air pressure to get the most of the 4" or 6" settings. Power Spline B/B isn't very strong. Week derailleur hanger.

Bottom Line:
This is a great trail bike. The geometry is perfect for descending, yet still climbs very well. The rear wheel seems to push you forward on the uphills. A bit slack for XC riding. Handles pretty well in ski resorts if you treat it accordingly. The 5" setting gives the best of both linear and progressive travel.

I'm 5'10' and the small 15.5" frame fits great (the total seat tube is 17"). I have to use a longer 400mm seat post for XC rides. Pick a medium if you're taller than me, but keeping a shorter top tube makes this bike come alive.

I broke the Vanilla fork during the first week. The lowers were replaced for free by Fox and it has performed well ever since.

The pivot bearings are has good as Marin claims. I've given deep mud baths to this bike all summer long and it's still runs smooth.

A great package for the money, perfect for all mountain riding.

Similar Products Used:   None, this is my first full suspension bikes

Bike Setup:   2006 Rock Springs (15.5"), NSB Hanger Banger, 400mm Pazzaz seatpost, old set of stronger wheels, 2.5 IRC trailbear tires, FSA the Pig aheadset, 8-speed drivetrain

Submitted by Kevin McMahon a Cross Country Rider from Concord, New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2006

Strengths:    Everything as far as performance. With 4" to 6" of travel, quick release, in the rear and 5" in the front this bike will do anything. It's my first full suspension and I have seen the light. You can hit a wall and the bike will find a way over it and sill give you all the control in the world.

Weaknesses:    The weight made me timid at first, 30 lbs, but that went away as soon as I experienced the performance. I guess the only thing I can say is the components, deore all around, but that sh*t breaks and all I need is an excuse to upgrade.

Bottom Line:
For the retaill price of 2k I would expect better components, but what it lacks there it totally makes up for in performance. This is a great x-country/lite freeride bike. I hit 4' drops and its like landing on a pillow.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Rock

Purchased At:   ebay.com

Bike Setup:   Deore components, hayes disk 8" in front 6" in rear, Fox vinilla R fork and shock

2001 Marin Attack Trail, Rock Springs,Wolf Ridge - Tara suspension -Lets See Them!!

I am building up a 2002 Marin Attack Trail full suspension frame. (tara adjustable rear suspension) Wondering how everybody set up and tricked theirs out back in the day.What components,forks.etc. 2001-2007 Post your favorite pictures. Lets see them!!!Read More »

BCT Rock Springs to Table Mesa Rd Trail Condition for Labor Day Weekend

On Sunday we where planing on starting from Rock Springs trailhead heading down to Table Mesa RD then back..but then we just remembered there was some big flooding up in New River, recently. I found this post [URL="http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/bct-agua-fria-rock-springs-926979.html"]BCT agua fria, ... Read More »

BCT agua fria, rock springs

10,000 cfs and rising... [url=http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&cb_00045=on&format=gif_default&site_no=09512800&period=3&begin_date=2014-07-01&end_date=2014-08-19]USGS Current Conditions for USGS 09512800 AGUA FRIA RIVER NEAR ROCK SPRINGS, AZ[/url]Read More »

2012 Rock Springs Elite 29er/2012 Nail Trail 29er

Anyone riding one of these and find that the frame feels a little small? I'm 5' 11.5" with 32.5 inseam and the 19" frame feels a little small. *FYI...the US Nail Trail and Rock Springs (UK) bike in the 29er wheel size shared the same frame in 2012.Read More »

New Boise Trails Linking Polecat/Hidden Springs to Stack Rock

I was excited to read this this morning, except for the part that says they plan to develop the land some day. [url=http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/07/14/3279493/trails-to-link-recreation-areas.html?sp=/99/1687/&ihp=1]Agreement will give Boise access to 3,300 acres in Foothills for new trails ... Read More »