Marin Rock Springs All Mountain Full Suspension

• Hayes Hydraulic Disc
  • Shimano 32 Hole Disc

Submitted by mulley a Weekend Warrior from paignton

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2009

Strengths:    fun, easy to ride hard, loves down hills ok up,

Weaknesses:    rear mech hanger already on 3rd one and thats been straightend once, rear sram x7 mech snapped during an xc race for no obvious reason, cheap hubs wore out in no time

Bottom Line:
even though i have spent some money on keeping it going it realy does get used well in all weather and for down hill to xc racing, although it will never win an xc race but is fun watching the serious boys going slow down the drops and big roll ins.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   cycle scene plymouth

Bike Setup:   upgraded to mavic rims and hubs, sram x9 rear mech and sintered brake pads.

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Boylston MA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2007

Strengths:    Frame and suspension. I love the way the bike rides. You can set the feel of the rear anyway you like. Good climber and very controlled on the decents. Virtual pivot point rocks!

Weaknesses:    None. Maybe weight, but for $1,100 who cares? I think of it as getting a better workout.

Bottom Line:
What can I say. Marin is an unsung hero in my book.

Favorite Trail:   Vietnam

Purchased At:   sierratradingpost.com

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension. I come from a hardtail bike. I am blown away with what a full suspension bike can get through.

Bike Setup:   Deore and LX. Good enough since the place I ride tens to eat derailleurs on a regular basis. Black Platinum Fork. Does the job but my buddies Fox is much smoother. Fox Float on the rear. Easy to use and maintenance free. Cable Discs - inexpensive, light and reliable.

Submitted by Michel from Quebec , Canada

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2007

Strengths:    The rear wheel gives a lot of traction during climbs. Rear travel works great while braking. Enough space for 2.5 tires. Great Fox front and rear suspension.

Weaknesses:    You can't slide the seatpost all the way down. You have to change the rear shock air pressure to get the most of the 4" or 6" settings. Power Spline B/B isn't very strong. Week derailleur hanger.

Bottom Line:
This is a great trail bike. The geometry is perfect for descending, yet still climbs very well. The rear wheel seems to push you forward on the uphills. A bit slack for XC riding. Handles pretty well in ski resorts if you treat it accordingly. The 5" setting gives the best of both linear and progressive travel.

I'm 5'10' and the small 15.5" frame fits great (the total seat tube is 17"). I have to use a longer 400mm seat post for XC rides. Pick a medium if you're taller than me, but keeping a shorter top tube makes this bike come alive.

I broke the Vanilla fork during the first week. The lowers were replaced for free by Fox and it has performed well ever since.

The pivot bearings are has good as Marin claims. I've given deep mud baths to this bike all summer long and it's still runs smooth.

A great package for the money, perfect for all mountain riding.

Similar Products Used:   None, this is my first full suspension bikes

Bike Setup:   2006 Rock Springs (15.5"), NSB Hanger Banger, 400mm Pazzaz seatpost, old set of stronger wheels, 2.5 IRC trailbear tires, FSA the Pig aheadset, 8-speed drivetrain

Submitted by Kevin McMahon a Cross Country Rider from Concord, New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2006

Strengths:    Everything as far as performance. With 4" to 6" of travel, quick release, in the rear and 5" in the front this bike will do anything. It's my first full suspension and I have seen the light. You can hit a wall and the bike will find a way over it and sill give you all the control in the world.

Weaknesses:    The weight made me timid at first, 30 lbs, but that went away as soon as I experienced the performance. I guess the only thing I can say is the components, deore all around, but that sh*t breaks and all I need is an excuse to upgrade.

Bottom Line:
For the retaill price of 2k I would expect better components, but what it lacks there it totally makes up for in performance. This is a great x-country/lite freeride bike. I hit 4' drops and its like landing on a pillow.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Rock

Purchased At:   ebay.com

Bike Setup:   Deore components, hayes disk 8" in front 6" in rear, Fox vinilla R fork and shock

Fuji Tahoe 29 1.1 vs Marin Rock Springs 29er Elite

Hello I am looking at the purchase of my first mountain bike (have not ridden much since the BMX days). Will primarily be riding it around the town with the wife, but will be doing some trails sometimes (all trails are mostly flat, not very technical, this is Houston). I am between the Fuji Tahoe ... Read More »

XC/all mountain trails around rock springs

I'm looking for a place to stop on the way home april 29 from Moab to teton valley-preferably about half way. I was looking to be able to truck-camp near trails and then finish the drive home. Rock springs fits in pretty good distance wise, but I've never ridden there. I found a couple trails around ... Read More »

GPX of BCT from Rock Springs to Bumble Bee ?

I'm Googlin' and Googlin' and all I come up with is old posts and websites with dead links. :madman: Does anyone have (or know of a good link to ) a GPX file of the norhtern section of BCT from Rock Springs to Bumble Bee ? Thanks !Read More »

Black Canyon Trail from Rock Springs Conditions

Rode BC trail Sunday morning going south. Trail is in great condition. River is almost up to my knees on that crossing.... Some dude was sleeping by the river at about 6AM when I crossed... woke poor guy up when I yelled holy F ! slipping on that mud... Poor guy.. sorry about that...Read More »

Hidden Springs to Stack Rock???

Every time I get to the top of Red Tail I find myself wanting to keep going all the way up to stack rock. I've heard there's a way, but that it may cross some private land. Anyone know the route? or any route? I see on maps there's a jeep trail that you can pick up close to Cartwright, but I see ... Read More »