Marin Mount Vision All Mountain Full Suspension

4.6/5 (20 Reviews)

Frame
6061 Aluminum, fully hydroformed mainframe and swingarm, Quad-Link XC 2.0 suspension system, disc specific
Rear Suspension
Fox 32 RP23, with rebound adjustment, dual position ProPedal w/3 position ProPedal lever adjustment
Fork
Fox 32 Float RL, 120mm with rebound adjustment, lockout and air spring preload

Submitted by pulpwoody a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2010

Strengths:    Frame is stiff, suspension works very well, looks cool.

Weaknesses:    Don't know yet, too early

Bottom Line:
This was a warranty return after I broke the hell out of my 06 Rift Zone. I rode the RZ for three years, and that was my first full suspension bike, but I've had the chance to ride many bikes and now I have a pretty good idea of what works for me, and this bike works for me.

This is an 09 frame, and I was skeptical because, honestly, the suspension on the Rift Zone sucked, so how is this one going to be any different?

Big difference.

The suspension works great under any and all conditions. In Austin, we have tons of technical, rocky climbs and drops, and this is where you can tell a good suspension bike. If I just stay seated, this bike propels me up the ledges and increases my efficiency. It climbs very well for sure, and going down is a blast! This bike loves going fast, and on the first few downhill runs, this thing almost got away from me. It handles very well in the corners, and with a longer stem, around 90-100, I can climb the technical, tight stuff very well. Also, for a bike with a 69.5 head tube angle, it's amazingly quick, but you can steer it with precision as well.

This is damn nice bike, and I'm still getting it dialed in, so I'll follow up in a couple of months.

Since this is a warranty return, I'm giving it 5 for value.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   Hammerhead Bicycles,

Similar Products Used:   Lots of different bikes, and the 06 Marin Rift Zone

Bike Setup:   Mishmash

Submitted by sillymonkey a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2009

Strengths:    No bobbing when climbing seated. Durable frame.
Plenty of mud clearance in the rear.
10 year North American warranty on bearings.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes my heels or calves when wearing shin/knee guards rub against the rear swingarm.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2008 Mount Vision.

For 2008 Marin did not have an XC bike so the geometry of this bike is more XC than All Mountain. Potential buyers may want to try a bike that is one size smaller if they don't like the XC feel of a long top tube. For example the medium frame has an effective top tube of 23.5" which is the same as the Turner Flux XC bike.

Based on research the frame is a bit heavier than most trailbikes, perhaps 0.5-1 lbs but the trade-off is better durability. Plus most people can lose a few pounds from riding more :-P

Components included with the bike are top notch consisting of an entire XT drivetrain. Most bikes at this price range may include a non-XT cassette or crankset to reduce costs. Unfortunately the price of the bike skyrocketed for 2009.

I've used this bike for plenty of 8 hour and 24 hour relay races with no problems. It climbs great and there is no suspension bob as long as the rider stays in the saddle. 99% of the time ProPedal is not needed. For me the only time ProPedal is engaged is when riding on pavement.

Most of my bike is stock. The WTB Prowler MX tires are the only weakness of the stock components. I would recommend changing out the rear tire for something grippier i.e. Panaracer Fire XCs for climbing.

As mentioned above sometimes my heels or calves may rub against the rear swingarm. However this could be because I'm bow legged. Also noticed that its usually the right side rubbing against the swingarm.

Overall this is fun and reliable bike for trailriding with a great value in components.

Favorite Trail:   Don

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek Fuel EX 8, Cannondale Rush

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock except for Thomson 90mm stem, Thomson post, Time ATAC pedals and Selle Italia saddle.

Submitted by Eilidh a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2009

Strengths:    Light, rides really well, has lasted me over 10 years with nothing changed

Bottom Line:
I bought the Marin Mount Vision Pro more than 10 years ago (so obviously its a bit out of date). Since then, other bikes in my garage have come and gone but this is here to stay. It has done the English MTB Coast to Coast, the Colorado Hermosa Trail, the hills of France and Switzerland and my local state park as many nights a week as I possibly can. Its dealt with sand in Moab, mud in Wales and, since coming to live in New England a lot of tree roots. Its never had a component change, its hardly ever even been oiled and its full XTR still works as perfectly as the day I bought it. The only thing I changed were the forks as I was too light (being a woman) to get the original ones to work. I forget what the original ones were but now it has UK Pace forks. I cant praise this bike highly enough. I'd change it and buy a modern one.... but its still perfect and fits like an old friend.

Favorite Trail:   Klondike Bluffs Moab

Purchased At:   Birkenhead UK

Similar Products Used:   Various

Bike Setup:   Pretty much as it came from the factory

Submitted by TallyTwhacker a Cross Country Rider from Thousand Oaks, CA 91360

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2008

Strengths:    The Marin Mount Vision is a technically superior platform. Initially, I had read the reviews and tried to get a Whyte Carbon Fiber model from over seas. I settled for the Mount Vision frame when it came available on Ebay. The rest of the bike is also components purchased from various locations (always the cheapest deal) making the retail value somewhere between $3,000.00 and $5,500.00 (if this sort of thing really matters). I am also not an advocate of advertising for others for free so the decals come off the bike. Looking at the physics behind the arrangement, there really is no other option for suspension available and I was surprised to see the Edison Bionicon was once a set up on a Marin Bike. This also confirms the physics aspect of the suspension set up. This bike improves with velocity making the suspension more effective as you accelerate. The responsiveness of the bike simply continues to improve as you push it. The frame is well balanced and the design works in conjunction with the riders center of gravity. Moving on the bike to get the best line of attack and keeping your body balance consistent with the application will only serve to improve the riding circumstance. I looked at alot of full suspension models and the shock is jammed wherever it fits in an alignment with what seems to look like the place preswsure will push it. this is consistent with the engineering application someone in this industry would come up with based upon the value of the employment position. I.e. your not going to find any rocket scientists building these things for a third of the value of their ability.

Marin is fortunate enough to have a design predicated upon physics and not the market value bicycle engineering will bear. This observation bears out is designs similar to the specialized "Brain" technology actually invented to offset flaws in the original technology. Being an advocate of Occam's Razor (the principle that the simplest most obvious solution is most often the best and only solution), the Marin design is the most direct answer to the suspension issue. introducing additional items into the equation merely makes the matter more complicated than necessary (like the Brain technology). Anyone choosing to purchase a Marin XC frame will immediately realize the benefit of engineered suspension verses a shock placed in a location to bounce when the back end hits something.

Bottom Line:
The bike is a rocket flying gracefully over every conceivable obstacle in its path. merely shifting the weight of my body results in immediate setup for any upcoming challenges. Drop offs, rock gardens, roots, inclines, g-outs, and verticals are all effortlessly encountered with minimal effort. Care must be taken when descending not to exceed the physical limitations of the rider (there are none for the bike it will traverse anything the rider can negotiate). A very nice introduction into the industry that will doubtlessly improve the circumstance any rider will encounter while riding it.

Favorite Trail:   Guadalesca

Purchased At:   Marin Mount Vision F

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Trek, Giant, Scott, Moots, Ventana, Santa Cruz, {all tested never purchased but the Moots got a second glance}

Bike Setup:   Marin Mount Vision Frame, Fox RLC F100 Fork, Crank Brothers Cobalt Rims, SDG I'Beam Seat and seat post, Bontrager Race x light handlebars and cranks, Knoa Pedals, John Tomac Nevegal (Stick-e Tube with sealant "tubeless") 2.3 on front, 2.1 on the rear. Shimano "deore" rear derailleur, XT front, Hayes Hydraullic "Trail" Brakes, and a Thompson Downhill stem.

Submitted by Rewop a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2008

Strengths:    Lifetime warranty on main bearings, quality parts throughout, Fox Suspension, Shimano XT, built to last and stand up to wet/mud conditons.
Super smooth ride over cobbbles/small rocks, plenty in reserve to handle the bigger stuff.
Responds well to assertive handling, responsive but not twitchy, confidence building.
Rear suspension arrangement realy seems to dig the back wheel in up steep rocky climbs, and gives great grip.
Hayes Carbon Stroker brakes surprisngly powerful

Weaknesses:    This bike is is ideally suited to trail riding rather than racing, its is not ultra light. The Hayes brakes although powerful are a bit grabby - maybe they'll wear in, I've only ridden about 120 miles on the bike so far. I'm 6 foot 2 inches and find the XL size comfortable. The sizing is very similar to my old Single pivot Marin large size

Bottom Line:
This bike has been Bike of the Year in its class two years in a row. Get this bike if you want something that will last long term, a great all rounder, more than enough suspension for general trail riding with reserves for bigger stuff. If you can't do it on this bike its not the bike that's the problem!

Favorite Trail:   Dalby Forest, North Yorkshire

Purchased At:   Chevin Cycles, West

Similar Products Used:   Marin Rift Zone 2003 (Single pivot)

Bike Setup:   Standard set-up except changed the bars for Easton Monkeylite Carbon, and a shorter 75ml FSA stem

Submitted by luv2mbike a Racer from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2008

Strengths:    Components are perfect for the bike, the new 15 mm thru-axle on the Fox F-120 fork makes the bike so much stiffer. Frame is awesome, bike tracks well, and corners great.

Weaknesses:    No water bottle holder, not the end of the world by any means.

Bottom Line:
This bike is everything I hoped it to be plus more. The main feature of the bike is the frame/suspension design. This bike peddles extremely well and descends even better. Cornering on the bike is effortless, and traction on short uphill sprints is phenomenal. This bike is great at making the small bumps seem to not exist, yet I have yet to bootom out the shock or fork even on 4 foot drops. I love the new fork on the bike. The Hayes Stroker Carbon brakes are very powerful, and do their job almost too well at times. Marin did a great job with the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Buckhorn

Purchased At:   Marin Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic

Bike Setup:   2009 Mount Vision 5.8. Mavic x317 rims, Hayes Stroker Carbon brakes, Fox F-120 fork with 15 mm axle, Fox RP-23 Shock,XT-Shadow rear Der., Moto Raptor Race tires,

Submitted by HarrisonBn a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2008

Strengths:    Components, suspension design, most everything important.

Weaknesses:    wtb hubs, color (mv pro is sweet though), and the sus design gets in the way of the limit screws. Nothing too important. The only truly annoying thing is that my front rotor warps all the time so I'm probably going to stick a 185 on there soon.

Bottom Line:
This bike ROCKS. It's my first fully, and I've seen a huge skill increase. The suspension is awesome, plush at first but haven't bottomed it yet. It's nice and light for the price, rims have held true for the most part, really couldn't be happier with this rig.

Marin's not too big out in CO but I strongly suggest if your local bike shop doesn't carry them, find one near you that does and at least give one a test ride.

Favorite Trail:   Dakota Ridge

Bike Setup:   Stock parts. Fox Float 32 rl, float rp23, mavic 317, xt/xtr drivetrain, xt shifters, fsa seatpost/stem/headset, wtb hubs/saddle/grips/moto raptor tires, easton monkeybar

Submitted by JoshClarno a Cross Country Rider from Roseburg,OR,USA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2008

Strengths:    Great handling and looks. The suspension is active and lively, supple and yet the bike is super responsive to pedaling. Super efficiency is the word on this bike it slips and rips and thumps down and up every trail I ride it on. The bike climbs so well with plenty of traction and supplness yet it leaves most people on Epics or other racing full suspension in the dust. That is no joke.
The suspension as you climb absorbs most objects that would slow you down but the harder you pedal it the faster and more effective it becomes. Once you get used to the fact that this bike is going to respond better to you the stronger you get it will actually perpetuate your riding in my opinion.
Literally the bike has rewarded every gain I have made, the stronger I get the more efficient the suspension is.
Yet the suspension never becomes muted or not active from pedaling tension at the cranks, its amazing.

Weaknesses:    This is an updated reveiw so I have actually had time to pick this bike apart and find somthing wrong with it.
The only thing that really bothers me about this bike is the chain line. Its a little far out compared to most of the bikes I have ridden.
But I love this bike so much that I have learned to live with it. I even put a 12-34 cassette on it to experiment with different gears and I really like that gear range on this bike. It actually makes up for the chain line.
A true weakness in the bike though that bothered me was the weak derailer hanger. I probably went through about five of them before I installed a device called a 4 jerry. It is a sort of derailer hanger stabalizer. Willie from Fundamental Bike recommended it after I expressed my concerns to him.
This has not only solved the problem but stiffened up the drive train a little too.
I have to admit that I like this trail bike so much that there isnt much I wouldnt do to accomidate its supple yet super fast suspension.

Bottom Line:
Like I said prior this is an updated reveiw. I had to let everyone know that this bike has gotten better as I have gotten back into shape. The pedaling only gets sweeter the more pressure you can put behind the pedals.
Also the suspension gets better the harder I have learned to push it. I do believe that this is one of those rare bikes that gets faster and faster the harder you push it.
I have tried a lot of Mt bikes in search of that one bike. I have always been looking for the full suspension bike that is cush enough to smooth the trail out yet a full suspension bike that pedals fast enough to maybey compete in an occasional race. THIS IS IT.
And it is so unique looking. I have to admit it took me a while to get used to the swooping hydroformed tubes but once I put some serious miles on this bike I have learned to marvel at its looks and performance.
If anyone is looking for a good honest dual suspension bike that will treat you to supple suspension and quick acceleration active suspension up and down the mountains this is it.
Running the rear suspension with about 25% sag with the propedal lever switched off is the way to go 90% of the time.
I have ridden this bike on very rough terrain to very smooth fast XC single track and it adapts to either.
I have mine set up for trail riding and it weighs 26.5lbs.

Favorite Trail:   Deer leap to Dread and terror

Purchased At:   Fundamental Bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic,KHS softail, Giant VT1, Giant trance 2005 and the 2006 model, Titus Racer X, Salsa Motorapido, BMC fourstroke,

Bike Setup:   2007 Marin Mt Vision frame with easton ea70 bars and a zero degree thomson stem. Cane creek S3 headset attached to a 07 Fox Talas fork. Avid juicy 7 brakes and the new XT wheelset.
Contienetal Mountain king 2.4 tires set up UST. Full XO drive train. 12-34 XTR cassette. Time atac XS pedals. XT cranks. Thompson seat post and a WTB shadow V saddle.

Submitted by frey a Cross Country Rider from Hobart Australia

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    Really an amazing rear suspension system.
Great component set.

Weaknesses:    Not a lot, biggest thing I could find was that I had to get a new shock pump because not all of them will fit onto the rear shock given its location.

Bottom Line:
It took me some effort to get this bike, as there isn't a distributor in Australia so I had to buy it from Penny Cycles in New Zealand, who shipped it to me.

The spec on the bike is very good, solid components. I found the Avid Juicy's work exactly as you'd expect, powerful and predicatable. The XT gears are the same. The Easton Monkeylite handlebar is a great addition, Easton just seem to have the right balance of width and geometry for this to give a great riding position for climbing and weaving on tight singletrack. The Mavic Crossride wheels (American Spec, they're different in the UK I believe) are nice too, great power transfer and a nice freehub.

But then there's the frame and the suspension, which frankly is awesome. I set up the fox fork (be aware that Fox recommends pressures which are far to high) so that it sags about 1 inch when I get on the bike, and haven't changed it since. The rear end I initally had too soft (Marin recommends a max of 15mm sag, but 1 or 2 mm too much can make a fair difference here) and the bike would sag a bit on steep climbs, but I added a little pressure to the rear shock and that fixed that up.

Now I ride with Propedal on when I'm doing anything but long descents and it's amazing how this bike can be stable when pedalling but the rear wheel never seems to leave the ground! The inital part of the travel is so plush that the bike seems to have more traction than I thought was possible.
I open the shock up on descents and it really doesn't disappoint, it's ability to keep the wheels on the ground all the time makes it really inspiring on bumpy corners.

I would buy this bike over again with no hesitation, I can't find anything negative to say about it. For the price you're getting Santa Cruz Blur quality rear suspension

Favorite Trail:   Luge

Purchased At:   Penny Cycles NZ

Similar Products Used:   Kona Coiler

Bike Setup:   As stock, with Crank Brothers Mallet pedals and Panaracer XC Fire Pro tyres.

Submitted by jah soils a Racer from Petaluma, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2008

Strengths:    Where to start, the bike to state it simply is just awsome. The rear suspension tracks like a dream on both the up and down hill. The pro pedal feature is amazing and the wheel path is flawless. The bike is perfectly balanced, and is a poin and shoot machine on the DH. IT has a wide selestion af gears and large rear casset to tackle any trail. The frame is solid enough to take to a bike park but light enough to race. i love this bike, i ride hard and crash alot you can ride it into a rock pick it up and keep on going with no issue.

Weaknesses:    issues i have with the bike are things that bother me personaly and not actual desighn flaws. a carbon fiber seat post and seemingly low bars slightly bug me.

Bottom Line:
The bike is amazing and floats over every thing. I simply love it. I strongly recomend it for anyone looking for a slightly longer travel but light weight trail/xc bike.

Favorite Trail:   rough go

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Marin Pro Purchase

Similar Products Used:   nomad, v10, seven duo, rockey mtn's, dhr, norco, santa cruz, chumba, soul craft, trek, gt, yeti, 303, stinky primo, glory, element, haro, next, mongoooose, 575, blur, chamelion, and others, ift.

Bike Setup:   stock, 2.35 maxxis minion dhf front/ 2.2 maxxis wet scream rear. new grips, kind of given though

Submitted by jagrr a Cross Country Rider from yorkshire

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is very stable, it has a solid well built feel to it .Climbs very well,with little bob and tracks downhill with confidence .

Weaknesses:    Slow on tight switchback corners and will lift its front wheel very easily on slow rocky ascents if you dont get your weight well forward .

Bottom Line:
Bought the MV because of all the glowing mtb magazine reviews of it and i have to say it is a very good bike but just not as good as the press would have you believe . You will have to work a little harder on this bike to get the best out of it, but it is possible.

Favorite Trail:   dalby forrest

Purchased At:   chevin cycles

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Speedy Pete a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2007

Strengths:    Great looking bike with the new swooping top tube. Handles like a dream. Climbs like a hardtail and floats like a butterfly on the downhill.

Bottom Line:
My last bike, a Specialized was fun but my new Mount Vision is just plain awesome. I really can't describe the rush I get when I bomb down the mountain on this sweet ride. It soaks up everything and it keeps asking for more. It has front and rear lockouts which is great on the climb. It climbs like no other full suspension. I am amazed how fast I am now. My new nickname is Speedy Pete given to me by KL and DD.

Similar Products Used:   Trek and Specialized

Bike Setup:   Stock except with platform pedals and Kenda 2.35 tires

Submitted by Samuel a Cross Country Rider from El Cerrito, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2007

Strengths:    Super fast on the downhill with the new geometry frame which soaks up all the bumps.

Weaknesses:    Tires, I'm not a big fan of WTB.

Bottom Line:
I must say I was never the fastest or the greatest when it came to the downhill but with my new 2007 Mt. Vision, I'm catching up to my buddies. I love the fact that I'm not getting tossed around like my last bike which was a Specialize. I definitely love the downhills now and I love the new speed I'm able to ride them at. I can see why my bike won bike of the year. Awesome is the word to describe this bike

Favorite Trail:   China Camp

Purchased At:   3000

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz, Specialized and Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Zachary Colby a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2007

Strengths:    5" of Plush travel front and rear with little to no bob on the climbs.

Weaknesses:    2.1 WTB tires. This bike needs a min. of 2.25 width. Also would of like to see a better headset.

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I've ever own. I had a Trek Liquid 30, Trek Fuel 90, KLein Attitude, Salsa Single speed, and a Yeti. Basically this bike just floats over everything. If you want an awesome ride, this bike is it.

Favorite Trail:   Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Downiville Downhill

Similar Products Used:   Trek Liquid 30

Bike Setup:   Stock except for new wider tires and a Chris King headset. Also Shimano spd pedals, just my preference.

Submitted by Derek Ainsdale a Cross Country Rider from U.K

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2007

Strengths:    Protected main bearings and shock. Good fork. Frame finish is reasonable and slightly more durable than previous models. RP3 is adjustable but difficult to access.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock is difficult to access and adjsutments make little operational difference. The bike bobs on climbs with noticeable bob when climbing out of the saddle. This is the heaviest Mount Vision that Marin have made. I cannot get 5" of travel from the rear of this bike. Slow and cumbersome on tight turns and it lacks the zip of its predecessor. Astonishingly high centre of gravity which becomes apparent when attempting slow technical manouvers. I can see no point to the top tube abd headset configuration. And who needs a bottle cage these days?

Bottom Line:
This is not what I regard as a fast XC bike in the same league as the previous quad link Mount Vision models. This design is too top heavy, heavier all round and just not as agile as the original twin boomerang frame models. it also does not climb with the same efficiency regardless of how much tweaking of the rear shock I attempt. In the pursuit of a new design I feel very much that Marin has sacrificed the speed of the MV pro for greater travel (if you can get it) and better protection for its moving parts. I have owned 2 of these bikes before and I have a 2005 TARA and this 2007 model rides more like the TARA than either of the Mount Visions. I feel as if I am teetering on the top of the bike when the going is slower, especially on winding technical stuff that the previous model used to speed through. I have read the glowing test reports on this bike but for me I can only compare it with previous models and I expected such a new shape to be at least as good but preferably better for the extra cost. Basically I see it as more a freeride rig than the flagship superfast Marin Cross Country bike that it used to be.

Favorite Trail:   Ae

Purchased At:   Leisure lakes

Similar Products Used:   Marin Mount Vision Pro 2004 and 2001.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Marin's website updated: New 650B Attack Trail and Mount Vision, among others

[url=http://www.marinbikes.com/us/bikes/mountain-bikes]Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Marin Bikes[/url] Anyone else thinks it's confusing that Marin is billing the Mount Vision as an enduro bike while the burlier Attack Trail is the 'trail' bike? I mean, yes, the lines between categories are getting th ... Read More »

misaligned swing arm on marin mount vision 2012

Hi all, I noticed a few days ago that the rear wheel on my mount vision (2012) has a noticeable offset to the right side (about 1/4 inch). The wheel is a few months old, so I checked for dishing, but dish is O.K. I can only assume that the issue is in the swing arm or pivots. Is this so ... Read More »

2007 Marin Mount Vision - Amazing

This is the newest ride. I already love the suspension design. I feel far more confident while riding it and it looks superb! I plan on doing some upgrading over time. For now, everything works great. [ATTACH=CONFIG]798692[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]798693[/ATTACH]Read More »

Checking out a 2007 Marin Mount Vision. Looking for input

I don't need the bike, but I want it. Another bike for my quiver. The quad-link suspension really interests me because I do mostly xc riding but I love a little bit of technical downhills from time to time. My Hardtail Stumpy is a bit rough on me. He is asking $800 and its pretty much stock with ... Read More »

2014 Mount Vision and Attack Trail 27.5/650b bikes

Both feature carbon frames. @140mm travel, Mount Vision designed for faster xc, trail and enduro racing. Sounds tasty. [url]http://reviews.mtbr.com/marin-2014-mount-vision-and-attack-trail-27-5650b-bikes[/url] Old enough to know better and old enough not to care. Best age to be.Read More »