Marin Attack Trail All Mountain Full Suspension

• Air Spring Preload
  • Hope Hydraulic Disc

Submitted by kris

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2013

Strengths:    durable steady easy to ride fun

Weaknesses:    little on the heavy side but worth it

Bottom Line:
all i can say is wow picked up the bike on a slight impulse buy well worth the coin grate all around bike from going up the mountain to going down the mountian

Submitted by Fuel53 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2013

Strengths:    Geometry, stiffness, rear suspension ramp up.

Weaknesses:    Stock parts, Monarch 4.2, Revelation 150, rear dropouts.

Bottom Line:
I had terrible trouble with this bike when I first got it. The previous owner left the rear dropout bolts on the brake side loose. When I tightened them up the frame was already deformed- there are tremendous forces on the brake side dropout, if both sides are not properly torqued and loctited it can do permanent damage to the rear triangle(probably why I got a good deal on it). I had to replace the whole rear triangle for about $200. The bike did fine on normal trails and medium hits but suffered on small bumps and bigger hits, the low speed compression was too high on the Monarch 4.2, it started to break in but I had already purchased a Marzocchi Roco TST Air to replace it. With the Monarch, I would get bumped off balance on techy climbs at low speed and feel harsh on repeated hits. The difference was amazing right away big hits, small bump and adjustability felt great- handling across the board was phenomenal. Last was the Revelation WC- it felt like a wet noodle and flexed all over the place on chunky downhills desptite (or because of) the carbon steer and 20mm thru axle. My old '07 Fox 32 TALAS was stiffer. I put a TALAS 36 on it and it was a dream- stiff, plush, travel adjust from 160-120mm. The 150mm of Revelation was too steep for techy climbs and the front end wandered bad or the rear wheel spun out. 160mm just feels right for decents and OK for trail use. It would be nice if the TALAS had the old 3 position switch. It has the routing for a dropper post- the Rockshox reverb has been very nice. Last mod I made was a 50mm stem from the 90mm one. Feels great all around, stiffens up the steering, allows you to pull your body more forward on steep climbs and get farther back on decents. After adding about $1500 of upgrades and at least two pounds to the bike it absolutely rips up and down. It would be nice if it were a little lighter but the tradeoff in performance is worth it.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Nomad, Trek Remedy 8

Bike Setup:   All XT parts except for SLX crank.

Submitted by Mike Eggert a Weekend Warrior from Palm Springs, CA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2012

Strengths:    Amazing ride, comfortable cruiser on pavement; monster at speed downhill. Hammer-Schmidt perfect for instant torque on sudden uphill change... Brakes are amazing and have saved my life many times- I'm 50+ and still acting 30... This bike makes me a kid all over again!

Weaknesses:    It's a heavy brute but my many crashes with no damage prove its right rig for me. Wish I understood suspension adjustments better - this rig should come with a day of instructions on the mountain. When you go over the handle bars and it lands on you it hurts!

Bottom Line:
Hammer-Schmidt is fantastic and can't imagine this bike without instant gear change on sudden terrain changes... Once you learn to trust this monster downhill it becomes an incredible thrill that leaves you grinning ear-to-ear. I often interrupt my ride to stop and look back at the obstacles I just passed- not believing I made it through. Ever ride a 125cc dirt bike? This rig feels like that without the motor. Super low gearing help the uphill grind but you do feel the weight- no race horse up hill...
Appearance and looks is one reason I bought this bad boy and it never fails to turn heads. I let folks ride it and they always come back grinning and wishing they could find something like this for half what it costs... An off-road motorcycle without the motor!

Favorite Trail:   Upper La Quinta trails and Mt. Tam

Purchased At:   Marin factory store

Similar Products Used:   Had a Specialized full suspension bike but brakes were not up to steep mountains... A toy compared to this machine

Bike Setup:   Added seat-post hydraulics - a must! Amazing tires - no flats and I've been through hell n back...

Submitted by pulpwoody a Weekend Warrior from austin, texas

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2011

Strengths:    Awesome geometry. Solid, stiff frame, suspension is killer. Climbs extremely well, stable at high speeds, carves, drops.

Weaknesses:    Make sure you have the correct shock on the back, it makes all the difference in the world.

Bottom Line:
First thing's first. Make sure you have the correct shock on this bike. I tried a standard Float on it, and the ride was really harsh. I recently put a Float with the Boost Valve, specially tuned for this bike, and it's like a whole new bike! It's awesome! I gave up nothing on the climbing, in fact, it's smoother now. On the downhill, everything is smoothed out, and the drops are a pleasure. FYI, the correct setting for the shock is 175psi in the boostvalve, medium tune, medium rebound.

It's obvious that this bike is designed to go down hill, but what's great about this bike is how well it goes UPhill. Marin really put some thought into making this bike a do everything bike. The head angle is slack as hell, but the seat angle is really steep, so that puts you over the pedals and gives you lots of power for the climbs, and it's climbs extremely well! It also lets you get behind the seat easier.

Downhill is obviously a blast on this bike. I have a Revelation up front, and between tires, air pressure, and the tunability of the fork, I'm still getting the bike dialed in, but I truly enjoy riding this bike all the time, everywhere.

It does have a long wheel base, so the front end is a bit hard to lift up, FYI. If you can get your hands on one of these bikes, ride it. You'll like it.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm on

Purchased At:   warrantied from Mari

Similar Products Used:   Marin rift zone, marin mount vision, enduro, endorphin.

Bike Setup:   6.9 frame with Revelation up front, 20mm through axle in front, 12mm Maxle in the back.

Submitted by Gson a Downhiller from Brisbane

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2010

Strengths:    - Geometry.
- Geometry
- Geometry (big fan ;)
- Pedaling ability
- Wide Bars

Weaknesses:    - Monarch Shock

Bottom Line:
This is easily one of the best bikes i have owned and ridden for that matter. Like i mentioned above the geometry is killer! Its low, slack (66 deg) but has a fairly steep seat angle to it really puts your weight over the front wheel for climbing. It comes with 720mm wide bars which just tops it off for me. Its a mini DH bike that comes in on the scales at a bit over 14 kg.

Does have a downside. The monarch shock that comes stock is pretty average. Do yourself a favour and swap this out and you will have a killer bike. Went with Marzocchi because the bike has a degree of chain growth pedaling is pretty sick so didnt need a platform. Overall rating not highest simply because of the shock. New revelation though is one of the smoothest forks i have owned. (has the same mission control dampening as the previous model Rock Shox World cups)

Purchased At:   Riders Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Bikes owned...Norco Six with DHX 5 and Fox Van RC2, Specialized Enduro SX, Scott Genius MC10, Giant Glory 0

Bike Setup:   Stock but with Rocco Air TST R (Yes it does fit....just ;)

Submitted by lezo a Weekend Warrior from Manly, Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2010

Strengths:    Frame, Suspension, agility, aggresiveness, handling

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This is a massive change from my Giant hardtail. I couldn't believe how easily this bike changes direction, off camber rocky corners, no problems at all, the handling is brilliant. Point it down the hill and it flies, literally, talk about "Red Bull gives you wings". I'm completely in awe of the Marin. I've always riden Maxxis tires and out of habit I will change them although the current Kenda's seem OK for now. There is much debate over Fox RP23 vs Rockshox Monarch 4.2 although at this point I'm very happy with the RSM 4.2, great over rock gardens and ruts and hasn't bottomed out yet. Front forks hold you in the corners and are very responsive. With a slack head angle of 66 degrees & wide low bars, the cockpit position is outstanding and climbing is good enough for me, I don't like going up hills much, the only purpose is for the fun on the way back down, although I made some pinches last week that I haven't been able to make before, that says something. There are some great reviews in the FEB edition of MBUK mag.
If you are an aggressive all mountain rider that likes to stay off the brakes, rail corners and take to the skies, I'd recommend you test ride the Marin Attack Trail 6.8, you will buy one given the chance.

Favorite Trail:   Oxford Falls

Purchased At:   The Bike Shed Mortda

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   rockshox revelation race 6" forks and rockshox monarch 4.2 rear, straight out of the box, kenda nevagal tires although will change to Maxxis Ignitor on the front and a less aggressive Maxxis on the rear

Submitted by Triwger a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight compared to my old bike. Tackels down hill at speed with loads of control. The bike is easy to jump whilst in motion due to lightweight so easy to go over rocks.

Weaknesses:    Frame creeks after a while. Difficult to clean and the bike picks up so much mud on the back.

Bottom Line:
A good buy and highly recomended but its need to be looked after well.

Favorite Trail:   Solems Trails and Cannock Chase

Purchased At:   Matlock

Similar Products Used:   Sarison Awol

Bike Setup:   Stock but with Marris tyres

Submitted by Inafinus a Cross Country Rider from Scotland

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2009

Strengths:    Fantastic all rounder, amazing component set and incredibly reliable

Weaknesses:    Little bit of flex in rear wheel, stem is just hideous (But that's hardly a real problem :))

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this bike a thousand times over. It's a fantastic all rounder and despite what reviews say, if you adjust the ride height a bit lower, it's still perfectly usable for some light FR.

One of the best bikes I've ever ridden.

Favorite Trail:   Chromakey Dreamcoat

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   GT-iDrive perhaps?

Bike Setup:   All stock except new Hope Headset and RaceFace Atlas Stem

Submitted by speedfreak a Weekend Warrior from lanc's, england

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2008

Strengths:    Light and agile, takes massive hits with ease and climbs like a billy goat!

Weaknesses:    read bike setup!

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2008 attack trail size M and for all you ex bmx'ers like me this has got to be the best bike to make you feel 17 again! It climbs way better than my hard tail(effortless) and desends faster than if i fell off the mountain. I've even started to do some big jumps again and can't wait to improve further. The formula brakes are the absolute best you can buy today bar none! forget Hope/Avid watever, read the reports on this site and ule know why i chose these brakes. I didn't want to buy a marin but i challenge anybody to test ride this bike and not come back smiling, i checked out Cove/Scott/Specialized/Iron Horse and Norco but 2 mins into riding this i knew my cheque book was coming out! best of all i got 2 years interest free!!!
If ure in the market u gotta test this bike i don't care wot uve got or had this bike rides awesome! i just gotta try an get it back off all my mates!

Favorite Trail:   all of em!

Purchased At:   leisure lakes

Similar Products Used:   1st full susser owned!

Bike Setup:   upgrades from standard are: 2008 fox talas 36 rc2, formula puro oro brakes (awesome!!!) a longer stem by Hope and Yeti lock on grips.

Submitted by Steven a Weekend Warrior from Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2008

Strengths:    agility, smouthness, bullet proof frame, fair price on-line, real easy on downhill, climbs like a fat monkey but still, a monkey lol

Weaknesses:    frame flexes a little in the rear on corners; creates some rear brake noise or sometimes makes some crapy noises like rocks in the frame jumping around, is a pain to wash the suspension linkage, front derailer a fr#*king pain to ajust, bike is a little on the eavy side

Bottom Line:
I bought this frame 2 years ago and build it up during the winter. I was so trilled when i took it out the first time, it totaly amazed me how good the suspension works but i decided to wait to right a review. Now I've rode it for two seasons and i'm still amazed when i take it for a spin. This bike is a fr#*kin cadilac. It rides so smouth, it handle like a dream and it feels light even if the bike is a little too eavy for my taste. You can literatly let the bike handle anything you throw at it and stay seated almost all the way lol. And on big climbs, the rear suspension works like if it was pushing the rear tire in the ground and this gives you tons of grip. I realy find this bike hard to spin on a climb compared to my other bike. the only bad things i have to say is that the front derailer was a pain to ajust, and the rear suspension tends to flex on hard cornering and this creates anoing noises but hey, that ain't a hardtail lol. Realy the best bike I have ever riden. A cadilac man!!!!

Purchased At:   on-line

Submitted by mat h a Weekend Warrior from devon

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
so i have had this bike a little while now. it still retains its original score!! I love it.
Now there has been a frame replacement. My down tube pivot was welded on slightly wonky and over time it has caused iregegular wear. Marin replaced the frame with no questions and this included new linkages and bearings and drop outs.
You will want to ensure you have some spare drop outs as they are weak as. I am on number three. I have stuck with the marin ones as the only after market ones i can find are on ebay from Israel and are CNC. They look good but are they 'too' strong?
Now the shock is beded to me, I stuck it on the six inch setting and thats where its staying!
As they say in the mac-i-d ads, "im lovin it!".

Favorite Trail:   anywhere sans tarmac

Submitted by Kai Tez a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2007

Strengths:    Durability, Climbing ability, Value, Descending Ability, Efficiency. All-around fun!

Weaknesses:    Linkage behind the seat tube collects large amounts of muck and grime. Poor paint durability. WTB Laser light rear hub (it never worked very well). These are very insignificant gripes. The positives out-way the negatives!!

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up to my review 2 years ago. I am still completely thrilled about this bike! It can handle knarly single track and rough rock gardens all day long. The linkage is still spot on and I have not replaced the bearings yet nor will I have to for some time. It climbs very well for its weight (29.5lbs) and I have no issue keeping up with the racer boys on their short travel rigs. When it comes to the descents and the real rough stuff this bike shines and allows me to accelerate away from the group with total confidence. This will be the first bike I will keep for more than 2 seasons. There is no need to upgrade from here.

Favorite Trail:   Kolapore

Purchased At:   Bike Depot

Similar Products Used:   SantaCruz Blur LT, Spec Stumpjumper 120, Intense 5.5, Fisher Sugar.

Bike Setup:   Mavic Crossmax SX wheel, King HS, Hayes HFX Mag, Hutchison Spider Air, XT gruppo, Intense Lock-on grips, Otherwise stock.

Submitted by James Barnhard a Weekend Warrior from Maryland

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2007

Strengths:    Sturdy frame for the type of aluminum, the rear suspension handles nice on large rocks and technical down hills. Adjustable rear suspension of 4 – 6in. of travel preference is nice found sweet spot at 5.5in. Fox Float rp3 works very well when dialed in. Im happy with the price and build up I did with the frame plus the design and look is kinda cool looking.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket is high (Alpine Link maybe needed), rear flex’s in fast cornering, heavy frame, customer serves contact is hard (Email)

Bottom Line:
This frame Rocks!! I am very happy with the cost, design and warranty.

Favorite Trail:   Gambrill

Purchased At:   Bobs Bikessss

Bike Setup:   Marin ATTACK TRAIL
101-152mm Fox rp3 shock
130-150mm Marzocchi All Mountain 1
203mm Hope disk brake
SRAM X7 shifters & rear Derailleur
XTR front Derailleur
Specialized Strongarm II crankset…
Time ATAC carbon pedals
WTB Rocket V Race saddle
Cheap seat post…

Submitted by Luke Ratto a Cross Country Rider from SLC, UT USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2007

Strengths:    Grip in turns

Weaknesses:    uphill, downhill, CUSTOMER SERVICE: I broke the frame (weld on bottom tube to bottom bracket) sent in a 20" frame and recieved a 19"...ok I can deal, it's lighter...didn't recieve the linkage hardware, and still haven't. They make a great effort and send me lots of hardware for the linkage, but none fits. 6 times I have recieved the incorrect assembly hardware.

Bottom Line:
Figure it out MARIN you have the bike tech info. right there, send me the correct parts please.... so I can get rid of it.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest