LaPierre Zesty All Mountain Full Suspension

With one of the best versatility/weight/efficiency ratios on the market, the Zesty all-mountain bike from Lapierre will take you to new heights. With a new frame available in carbon or alloy, integrated cable routing, and OST+® 140mm suspension technology, you’ll go up and down faster than you thought possible. From intense trail riding through your introduction to Enduro racing, you can do almost anything with your Zesty.

Submitted by Karekare a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2012

Strengths:    The geometry on this bike is sweet. It is far easer to pedal than my other bikes. Handles well.
exceeded my expectations

Weaknesses:    I only paid 40% of the list price for this bike. At the price I paid I feel I got a decent bike. If it was the list price I probably wouldn't own one especially when at list it falls into the same price bracket as an Ibis Mojo SLR and for another NZ$500 you could be looking at a Mojo HD! it's hard to see where the pricing comes from. The hardware is pretty average - Sure theres XT cranks and rear deraileur but a Deore rear cassette? - come on. The front fork should be a 15mmMaxle, but is a 9mmQR.
Average wheels and hubs.
The tyres on the this bike were Mountain Kings which are a utter rubbish (on this rig anyway). Like Richard here I also had a few off's on them, and after 4 in one day (with one over the bars) made me ditch them and get Nevegals too. Nevegals work really well on this bike. Makes you wonder who the spec mechanic was.
These may be harsh calls but if I forked out NZ$5700 on this bike I'd be quite disappointed with the build. hence the low value rating.
The biggest weakness is the fact the chain just doesn't like to stay on this bike at all. Maybe I should learn to land it better but i've never lost chains on any bike before this one.

Bottom Line:
If you want a All Mountain bike that can also do trails and XC and pedal all day because thats what you do then this could be what you're looking for.
Haggle the price down.
Dump the front two rings and derailleur go 1x10 (XT rear cassette)
Get a decent chain retention device (LG1+)
Change the rubber
and you'll love this thing.
It really does put a smile on your face.
I never really understood what people actually meant by a bike pedaling better, somehow this bike allows so much energy to transfer into forward momentum and waste very little. Even with the shocks open it cranks along, make it hard core and Wow!
I am definately faster on this bike up and down hills.

For all my bagging the build - it is a great bike at heart, I love it and I can see where the rider input was.
I'd buy one, and have.

Submitted by Richard Peterson a All Mountain Rider from Nelson, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2012

Strengths:    Great value for the price, Lapierre dumped their 2012 stock into the NZ market at 50% off to get some market penetration. Different story if I had paid full price. The bike is light and fast. Climbs well which is important around Nelson as its quite step riding/climbing. The bike is direct and responsive and fast. Particularly as you get used to the setup. There is no "bob" when climbing, the rear setup as very efficient. Easy setup too with the sag meter.

Weaknesses:    The mixed group set is disappointing given the recommended price (XTR and SLX). If I had paid full price I would have expected a complete XT group set. The seat was not to my liking so I swapped back to my trusty specialized seat. The Hutchinson tires lack front end grip and I have changed this to a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 tubeless. The stem is a little long and also contributes to the looser front end which I have tightened up with a straitline 50mm stem. I have chipped the paint finish on the frame in he first ride! Loose front end and straight down a bank!

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. Fast and direct, light and well spec'd for the price I paid. I would definitely recommend it, but if you ride steeper and more technical riding then I think the front end needs to be tightened up a little. The tire and stern change has made a big difference. Having said that I jumped onto the Santa Cruz Blur and it felt tighter from the start without having to change a thing!

Favorite Trail:   Coppermine, Nelson

Purchased At:   Kelvin Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR Stumpjumper Elite 2007, Santa Cruz LT carbon 2012

Bike Setup:   standard zesty 714, added rockshox reverb dropper post, Nevegal 2.35 tubeless front, Hutchinson Cougar to rear (already showing wear), Straitline 50 mm stem,

Lapierre Zesty 650B

My wish has come true! A 650B Zesty is coming [url=http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/lapierre-mountain-bikes-2014-first-look-37803/]Lapierre Mountain Bikes 2014 ? First Look - BikeRadar[/url] :thumbsup::thumbsup:Read More »

Lapierre 2014 Spicy 650B & Zesty AM 650B

[url=http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Sneak-Peek-Lapierres-2014-Spicy-650B-Zesty-AM-650B-and-Zesty-Trail-29er,5906/2014-Lapierre-Spicy-Team-650B,58227/bturman,109]Sneak Peek: Lapierre's 2014 Spicy 650B, Zesty AM 650B, and Zesty Trail 29er - Sneak Peek: Lapierre's 2014 Spicy 650B, Zesty AM 650 ... Read More »

Lapierre Zesty 314 2013

I'm looking to get a full sus xc bike as the Felt Nine Sport I currently have was a good starter bike to get me riding again but I need something better. I want to also move from 29" back to 26". I have been looking at the Lapierre Zesty 314 which has some good reviews. Are there any Zesty riders th ... Read More »

what would be the biggest jump you'd do on a lapierre zesty 314?

Hi I bought a bike for all mountain purpose but i was just wondering what would be the biggest jump you'd do on a lapierre zesty 314 Without breaking anything on the bike! Want to take up a few downhill/freeride tracks but i lost my job a while back and can't afford a downhill bike at the mome ... Read More »

zesty v asr5

as above really looking for a very effeciant 5 inch travel trail weapon,that likes it roughRead More »