Kona Tanuki Deluxe All Mountain Full Suspension

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

We've taken everything we've learned in 24 years of making mountain bikes, and we bring it to life in the mystical trail performance of the Tanuki Deluxe. It's the perfect bike for newly committed all-mountain riders, those looking to go deeper down the trail of discovery. Featuring our light and durable 7005 Aluminum Butted tubing, with 130mm of perfectly tuned rear suspension, the Tanuki Deluxe goes up and over anything you can throw at it. Giant testicles included.

• RockShox Sektor TK Solo Air 130mm 15mm TA fork
  • Shimano drivetrain
  • Easton XC wheelset
  • Maxxis Ardent 2.25 tires

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by lotusdriver

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2013

Strengths:    2013 version (green) Suspension works well, the bike generally feels good to ride and more than the sum of it's parts. Gears are very smooth in operation and brakes work well with no squeaking like the ones on my Cube did.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy but probably about right for the money. While brakes are good, you do have to pull fairly hard on the levers for fast stops. A remote lockout on the front fork would be nice.

Bottom Line:
    Note this is the 2013 Tanuki Deluxe, in lime green.
    The bike looks good and feels great to ride. It climbs well and the tyres (Maxxis Ardent) seem to grip well in muddy conditions, without being too restrictive on tarmac.
    There are no obvious cheap parts, even though this is actually the second cheapest FS bike that Kona sell. I have hammered the bike on descents and it holds up well, although the front fork does eventually seem to get overcome on extreme surfaces, giving your arms a bit of a workout.
    but it is great for the money and there's nothing I have felt the need to upgrade on it.
    As standard the bike weighs 30.5 pounds according to my digital scales. The suspension claims 130mm of travel and you do get all of it, if you take time to set the air pressure in the fork/shock properly.

Submitted by jfeust

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2013

Strengths:    2012 Deluxe Model. Excellent geometry. Decent spec and weight for the price. This thing is a tank and can take an unbelievable beating and keep asking for more. 4-5" drops, lots of jumps. It's enjoyable the whole time. A real riders bike.

Weaknesses:    I'd like XT or even SLX shifters as an easy stock upgrade, but everything works well. I've had no trouble with the stock rear shock (2012).

Bottom Line:
    Looking at bikes we can get caught up in every little component difference and every little weight difference. Riding the Tanuki Deluxe makes me forget about all that and simply puts a smile on my face. This is an amazingly fun bike to ride. It can take just about any all-mountain, xc, light downhill you can throw at it and you'll be enjoying it the whole time. This bike was made to be ridden, hard. It's pivot system is incredibly durable, it's geometry is spot on. I notice no pedal bob when climbing seated. It's a plush ride for a 130mm bike. Again, I just keep coming back to the "fun" factor. I rode a lot of other higher speced (and higher priced) bikes when deciding but the ride and fun factor of the Kona made it an easy decision.

Submitted by DaveKona

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2013

Strengths:    The geometry has a great overall/do everything feel to it. The head angle is slack enough for the average speedy down hill section while it can still handle a climb without entirely wasting all your energy.

Weaknesses:    I researched the bike and known issues before purchase and heard of the shock being the "weak link" on the bike. Sure enough, the very first ride the shock started leaking oil. However, Kona had a replacement in my hands immediately. The replacement shock has taken plenty of beatings and still going strong with no issues.

Replaced Ardent tires within two rides as they could not handle cornering. Upgraded to Specialized Captain and Control....faster and more predictable.

Bottom Line:
    Good bike for the price, would recommend.

Submitted by Driverfound337 a Cross Country Rider from CT

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2012

Strengths:    Frame Geometry is amazing, suspension components are butter smooth, brakes are very good,

Weaknesses:    Paint seems to scratch extremely easily

Bottom Line:
    Very very good bike for a good price, I bought the 18" frame and fit me well at 5'9

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest

Purchased At:   Chainlove.com

Similar Products Used:   Kona Dawg Deluxe

Bike Setup:   Factory with some forte converts

Submitted by Medicinebear a Weekend Warrior from Eliot, Maine

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2011

Strengths:    Great looking and an excellent parts pic.

Weaknesses:    None yet, but I switched out the Shimano SPD pedals for some flats because the morning of the ride I realized that I had tossed out my old cycling shoes. Have some new ones on order though.(Shimano)

Bottom Line:
    This bike has it all for me. I mean it covers every thing from XC to light freeride. I forgot how awsome it is just to go out and explore a new trail, heck ,I printed out a map the night before my ride and in the morning I couldn't find it but that was ok, I rode trails at random not caring if I got lost or not ( It was only a 700 acre park)
    Now get out there and spank that mountain!

Favorite Trail:   The unexplored one

Purchased At:   Bicycle Bobs

Similar Products Used:   Had a Voodoo Zobop years ago and more recently a Kona Stinky Primo, Jamis Parker 2

Bike Setup:   Stock factory except for the pedals

Submitted by Crazybear a Weekend Warrior from Eliot, Maine

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2011

Strengths:    A really good parts pic for the money.
    Great handling bike, best all arround full sus I have had.

Weaknesses:    None yet, only I switched the Shimano SPD pedals for flats
    because the morning of the ride I realized I had thrown out my old cycling shoes. Have new pair (Shimano) on order.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is doing it all for me, and by that I mean anything from XC to easy FR. I went with the 20" frame as I am 6'2" 215 lb. It's a great looking bike to boot! Now go spank that mountain.

Favorite Trail:   The yet to be explored

Similar Products Used:   Voodoo Zobop, and Kono Stinky Primo.

Bike Setup:   Factory spec except for the pedals I mentioned.

2011 Kona Tanuki deluxe.

Hey guys and gals. Had my 2012 Giant Reign stolen a while back after having it 2 months. Now I need a new bike but can't justify speeding another 2400 on one. Local guy is selling a 2011 Tanuki deluxe for 1300 Thoughts. .Read More »

Tanuki Deluxe Wheel Upgrade?

My front hub is showing some forward/back play. With the brake locked it has some movement even though the disc stays still. It got me thinking about a new wheelset and I was wondering what options others have used. It doesn't seem like there are many centerlock options.Read More »

Santa Cruz Superlight RXC vs Kona Tanuki Deluxe

Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a full susp. 26er, hopefully soon. Does anyone have an opinion about either of these bikes? Both of them go for about 2k. The Superlight has mostly XT and the Tanuki has a mix of XT and Deore. As far as forks, Superlight has a Fox Float RL 120, Tanuki has a Rock ... Read More »

Kona Tanuki Deluxe vs Fuji Bicycles Reveal 2.0

Hi, I'm trying to decide between these 2 bikes: Fuji Bicycles Reveal 2.0 Specs: [url=http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2012&Brand=Kona&Model=Tanuki+Deluxe&Type=bike]BikePedia - 2012 Kona Tanuki Deluxe Complete Bicycle[/url] Kona Tanuki Deluxe Specs: [url=http://www.bi ... Read More »

Kona Tanuki Deluxe vs. Fuji Reveal 2.0?

Have the chance to buy either of these at the same price. Seems to me the Fuji has better components but I have always liked Konas design. Options: Kona Tanuki Deluxe Fuji Reveal 2.0 (Sorry system wouldn't let me post links) I ride pretty aggressive XC and want to step up to an all mount ... Read More »