Kona Dawg Deluxe All Mountain Full Suspension

4.33/5 (24 Reviews)

Get your paws out, the new 2010 Kona Dawg Deluxe comes barking for a good run. Our all-mountain, backcountry bred beauty will take you up and down and over and back. Light but strong, tough but graceful, with a new 1.5" tapered headtube for increased stability, more aggressive geometry for technical trail riding, light and durable Scandium frame and a RockShox Recon 335 Solo Air 140mm travel fork, the only thing not included is a good leash.

Submitted by Imho4ep

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2012

Strengths:    Scandium, 28.5lbs is hard to beat at this price.
Great climber
6" of Fox on front and back, soaks up the hits
Love the colour, rootbeer with gunmetal accents

Weaknesses:    Seat is uncomfortable, I put my old one on after one painful ride.
Maxxis Ignitor tires are great when it's dry, not so great in the wet stuff.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, I looked at a lot of bikes before pulling the trigger on the Dawg Deluxe, It loves to climb, no bob unless you are up on the pedals, it gives me tonnes of confidence soaking up the hits on the downhill, the scandium is a nice touch, feels indestructible and smoothes out the vibrations common with aluminum frames.

Submitted by jim madison a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2012

Strengths:    the whole bike it is the next thing to indestuckable

Weaknesses:    the shimano group and the fox fork are the worst had to change to sram and rockshox lyrik solo air after that the bike is unbeatable i love it over the years ive had aprox 20 different bikes this is by far the best 2010 kona supreme . i live in kingman ariz the trails are outstanding really rocky you cant be a gromed rider to ride here the kona has them mastered

Bottom Line:
if every body tried a kona and really put it to the test there probably would be no other bikes

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   bicycle world,kingma

Bike Setup:   rockshox solo air 160mm fork fox rp23 rear shock thompson seat post and stem ritchy carbon bars orbit extrem head set raceface xc crank fsa sealed bottom bracket sram xo grip shift sram x9 rear derailer sram titanium cassett 9spd sram hollow point chain azonic outlaw 36 spoke wheels juciy elixir 5 hyd brakes

Submitted by coloradoman a Cross Country Rider from loveland, colorado

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2011

Strengths:    Suspension setup, frame strength, weight, climbing ability and downhill integrity

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
No one should be able to complain about this machine, in Colorado we ride some of the roughest and rockiest trails around and they settle with cheap old hardtails. This bike rides like a dream, if you can pedal it, it will climb. I never experienced any bob. Buy one or the abrasive cadabra

Favorite Trail:   slickrock

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Similar setup gt and some other demoed ones

Bike Setup:   09 deluxe frame, fox float 32, fox rp2 rear, x4 all around :( , fsa wheels, kenda nevangals

Submitted by pjm a Cross Country Rider from pc UT

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap aluminum. Great performance if you don't care if it breaks sooner than later...

Weaknesses:    For big guys like me(200lbs) I would not recommend any aluminum fs frame. I have the King and the Dawg, and broke both triangles 3-4 times, the swingarms 2-3 times, and the shock attatch bolts twice, ruining the rocker assemblies.
Kona finally decided I cost them to much and abandoned me completely....too bad. I went to another company

Bottom Line:
Nice riding stiff frame when it wasn't broken and stripped down. If you ride alot, and are over 200lbs, I would not recommend Kona beercan bikes, PERIOD.
I just got sick of having it down all the time. I almost never leave the ground or crash, and it still was busting in the same places-swingarm welds, Top tubes, down tubes, cracks eminating from welding weep-holes, etc. I had the dawg toptube break TWICE in one year in front of the seatube/toptube junction right in front of the gusset weld. Cheap aluminum crap frame material...Anyone need a Dawg swingarm/seatstay/rocker setup? I have one cause I just broke the triangle AGAIN, and KONA would not help me anymore. I am done with aluminum. Bought and IBIS mojosl carbon to replace the BEERCAN aluminum frame. Overall I rate it crappy cause it would not hold up to real riding.

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Many many alu fs frames of various manufacturers...

Bike Setup:   custom build xc..

Submitted by eshew a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2011

Strengths:    Swapped out & upgraded my old custom built 02 Kona Bear frame. This new frame is lighter, snappier, 1" more travel than my old Bear. Kept most of the old parts & this thing goes! Absolutly love it, best $300 purchase EVER!

Weaknesses:    17" frame came with a fox float rp2 with firm (level 3) compression damping. That was way too slow for my 165lb riding weight(great for drops, not for tech xc) So I swapped out to a medium compression/rebound rp23...works awesome now.

Bottom Line:
Although I would like to try a Marzocchi 55 RC3 on the front the bikes rides great. The RP2 with firm compression is perfect for jumps & drops but not great for regular trail riding. Propedal is a world of difference over my old romic with blown compression. The 08 Dawg adds a bit more cockpit room than the old Bear. The bike is now perfect! I'll be riding this one into the ground & wont replace it till its in pieces!

Favorite Trail:   Galbraith (RIP)

Purchased At:   Ebay frame

Similar Products Used:   02 Kona Bear & Stinky Primo. 96 Kona Sex one.

Bike Setup:   04 Marzocchi Z1 Freeride, 09 RP23 rear shock, SLX 2 ring cranks, Mavic 721 rims, King headset, thompson post. XT rear cassette. ODI Ruffian lock on grips (the best)

Submitted by Carraig042 a Weekend Warrior from Tennessee

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2011

Strengths:    2008 model:
Scandium frame is strong and not to heavy. Has 5.5 inches of travel using Fox Float 32 fork and the Fox RP2 shock. It is plush and handles many different types of terrain with ease I have even taken it to a downhill trail and it did better than I thought it would do! The fit of the bike is really good as well. I got the 17" frame and I am about 5'10".

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest bike in the world.
The wheelset, FSA XC 300-sl, are a little flexy with the 24 spokes.

Bottom Line:
It is a great bike capable of riding smooth trails all the way up to some downhill action. Rigid frame and does good pedaling uphills. What more could I ask for?

Bike Setup:   Deluxe with:
-Hope QR seat collar
-Time ATAC Alium/Azonic A-Frame peadals

Submitted by deejaydee303 a Weekend Warrior from Santa Fe NM USA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2010

Strengths:    2008 Dawg, Fox forks, Hayes carbon brakes, The bike is very strong and holds up under all types of terrain. Never had any problems. This bike has been put thru some nasty downhill terrain (Kokopelli jeep trail, Windsor)and never broke or failed. very reliable bike.

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side and seems a little hard to climb or it could be me. standard maxxis tires dont grip on sharp turns. cheap grips

Bottom Line:
If you want a very fun bike thats reliable and will go on any terrain at a reasonable cost this is the bike. There is pedal bob without pro pedal but lock the front fork and use the pro pedal and the bike will get you thru

Favorite Trail:   Windsor

Similar Products Used:   Kona hoss, intense spyder, santa cruz superlight.

Bike Setup:   fox 32 rl fork, fox rp2,hayes carbon brakes, raceface bar stem crank seatpost, fsa rims and headset, kenda excavator tire, sram xo.

Submitted by fatcat a Weekend Warrior from los angeles CA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2010

Strengths:    this is the 2009 model review---scandium aluminum, very light. Lightest 6 inch rear travel frame I've seen in a while. RP23 shock is pretty nice, well its the best Fox shock without the piggyback that they make.

Weaknesses:    Its so light, I think I may crack the frame. It goes through my mind when I ride thru rocks, seeing me do a faceplant into babyheads and losing my front teeth.

Bottom Line:
I like this frame, its a metallic green and cool looking, but the lightweight scandium aluminum worries me. They use this scandium on race bikes and this is supposed to be an all-mountain rig that you usually abuse more than weenie xc racers.

I've only had it a few months so I will find out. I took it to Big Bear and ran it down some semi-tech stuff and it did very well. The lightweight helped when popping the front up over some rocks and boy can this bike go fast.

I think if you purchase a 2209-2010, you may also use it as a racebike for super D because of its lightweight and rigidity.

Purchased At:   high intensity bikes

Similar Products Used:   Turner 5.5 Spot

Bike Setup:   2009 kona dawg supreme with a Marzocchi 55

Submitted by john1970 a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2010

Strengths:    Well made and very plush front a rear suspension. When going downhill the rear suspension floats over obstacles.

Weaknesses:    None noted so far. Although there are a couple of small paint chips already appearing. Luckily I am good at touch ups. With ProPeadal engaged I can climb on this bike almost as good as a hardtail.

Bottom Line:
The 2009 Dawg is a 5.5" (140mm) travel bike in both the front and rear. As equipped the bike weighs ~28.5 lbs, which is quite good for an heavy duty XC / light-duty AM rig. I am 5' 11" 175 lbs. with 34-35" arms and am running a 19" frame. Switching to the Easton HR bar made the bike fit me perfectly. I also found switching to a slightly wider saddle (WTB Pure V) helped as well. The standard saddle is an ultra-narrow racing saddle which I found uncomfortable. At the MSRP of $3000 it is overpriced, but for $2100 on sale it is a fair price for a 140 mm travel bike equipped with Fox RP2 and Float RL. The LBS swapped out additional components which brought the actual price of the bike to $2000.

For 2010, Kona introduced a Cadabra bike which is designed to replace the Dawg Deluxe. The Cadabra offers additional travel (+20 mm rear and +10 front and their Magic Link suspension) and comes with an RP23 rear shock. It is important to remember that every year manufacturers come out with improvements and you can not afford to keep up with the latest technology.

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Shop of

Similar Products Used:   None. This is my first full suspension bike.

Bike Setup:   2009 Kona Dawg Deluxe with the following major upgrades:
1) Hope Pro 2 / Mavic XM719 wheelset
2) Easton EA70 HR Bars with Raceface Atlas Stem
3) WTB Pure V SLT Saddle

Submitted by VTRC a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2010

Strengths:    Wonderful component group for the price. Super fun geometry. Light enough to be a trail bike.

Weaknesses:    Heavy enough to notice. Outdated suspension design. Raceface BB doesn't seal well enough.

Bottom Line:
Rode a lot of bikes in the ~2000 range before settling on the Dawg. When I rode it I knew it was for me. Fits perfectly and just tons of fun to ride. Inspires a lot of antics.

Fox Float suspension does exactly what I want. The Shimano drive train is nice and no fuss. I would have preferred a simpler sturdier set of wheels than the FSA, but I don't go for botique.

The Raceface BB has really let me down. I don't have the loosening problems so many people describe, but it just doesn't seem to seal well for early season riding and now it sounds like its full of dust. I'll service it as per the stickied thread in the drivetrain forum and try to get another season out of it.

The suspension design isn't as advanced as a lot of bikes in this class. It bobs when climbing. I don't know why or how but this bike still manages to be incredibly fun both up and down. And it does that all at an amazing price.

Favorite Trail:   WRT

Purchased At:   Sellwood

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro, RM Carve, Giant Trance

Bike Setup:   Stock 2008 Deluxe with 2.4" Mountainkings.

Submitted by 5EAN11 a Weekend Warrior from Trinidad & Tobago

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2009

Strengths:    strong, looks good, durable

Bottom Line:
its an awsome bike, its tough, rough and buff, i like the geometry of the frame and the price was a steal of a deal, if you want a good bike for you money that can take anything you throw at it get this!!!!

Favorite Trail:   macaripe trail

Purchased At:   wheel world

Similar Products Used:   trek fuel ex 7

Bike Setup:   kona dawg deluxe 08, i got the frame, put juicy 5's, shimano deore, and sram x9, peaty lock ons, i used my old hardtail fork a spinner grind os, but now i use a rock shox lyric

Submitted by archer a Weekend Warrior from High Desert, SoCal,USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2009

Strengths:    This is for the 2008 version: Bang for the Buck considering what I paid as a discount year end leftover. It is light, seems strong, climbs well, has good components that function well.

Weaknesses:    Some chain rub on the bottom of the rear triangle in gears you don't use (granny front with 11 tooth rear for example). Paint could be better, more durable and better applied on underside of the down tube there were a few flaws or inclusions. Brake noise. Pedals were on way too tight. Kona QR seatpost clamp needs an allen wrench to adjust tension. Grips are soft enough that they are easily chewwed up by the ends of the bars when laying the bike down or propping it against the wall.

Bottom Line:
I upgraded to this bike from my hardtail because my friends were dragging me through terrain that was spanking me with the saddle and shaking my knees through the pedals. This bike flows over and through rough stuff so much better it isn't funny.

I still need to work on MY endurance but for the most part the Dawg climbs at least as well as my hardtail. That's mostly without the lockout and propedal on the fork & shock which I only use for the occasional road section.

The Hayes Carbon Stroker levers have survived a few tumbles and everything else has worked flawlessly except for the rear derailleur that got nailed by a freak tree limb. The brake noise is annoying and I think I'd rather have aluminum levers for durability but they work well otherwise.

I've got a 20" version. I probably should have gone with 19" but this was available and fit well while the other was a 2 week wait during which the 20" would have been gone and the 2007 19" Dawg felt a little tight. Kona offers a lot of sizes and the overlap between them means you probably fit pretty well on two or three of them. Even though it is a larger frame this bike turns better than my old hardtail. With the drooping top tube I haven't had to worry about slamming the bar with my crotch either.

Everyone rags on Kona's being heavy and not climbing well. That isn't the case with this bike. I've had three friends including a bike mechanic who have picked it up during loading/unloading operations comment on how light the bike is. It is much the same as the similar Trek and for the price beat them pretty well.

I've taken this bike through some pretty narly stuff. It handled Cannell Trail/Plunge with ease in spite of my lack of endurance and speed. It is light enough that it can be dragged or carried through sections that aren't ridable or up stairs without breaking your back.

If you are looking for a good AM/XC rig to do some descending while retain climbing ability this is it. If you are looking for a no climbing downhill kind of bike go with a heavier gravity sled. There may be better bikes out there but I can't fault this one for what it is designed to do in any way.

I'm very happy with the bike. I only wish it came with the 2010 lifetime frame warranty as I'll probably keep it quite a while. Of course everyone says 'You'll never break a Kona.' The one my riding buddy owns is about six years old and going strong.

Favorite Trail:   McGill, in Frazier Park or Just Outstanding

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Similar Products Used:   I test rode everything I could get my hands on in the 5"-7" class. This was the best combination of price, weight and nice ride for the combination of all mountain and cross country riding that I do.
The Trek and Fisher's in the same class were nice but hard to find a Large frame in stock anywhere and the prices tended to be much higher. The geometry on the 2008 Dawg was so much better than the 2007 and the bike was so much lighter and more easy to pedal than the 7" bikes from Kona and Giant.

Bike Setup:   Stock plus WTB 2.4" Mutano Raptor tires with Mr Tuffy's liners, Blackspire Big Ring Protector and Crank Brother's Mallet pedals. I'll be upgrading to 7" rotors soon. Probably go with ODI lock on grips in a month or two.

Submitted by craigeliot a Cross Country Rider from Rapid City, SD usa

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2009

Strengths:    Solid ride. The bike is versatile providing a fun ride in both climbing and descending situations. Locking the rear suspension provides a solid platform to power through technical sections. I ride mainly single-track cross country trails; the bike is very forgiving when I make a mistake and comes right back on the trail when I get lost on a section of trail. Great seat, excellent wheel set, and awesome suspension. Amazing paint job; the deep metallic red is sharp.

Weaknesses:    The way Kona chose to route the cables makes for some excessive rubbing on the frame which dulls the paint. This isn't a huge deal, but the bike is really sharp looking, so having the tubes needlessly scratched up is annoying. The cable mount on the main tube is also about an inch too high above the bottom bracket; the cable for the front derailleur touches the rear suspension. The pressure isn’t great, but it makes me wonder what Kona was thinking. How do you miss such an obvious, easy thing to fix?

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike, but for the money most people would be just as happy with its Specialized counter-part and keep at least $500 in their pocket.

Favorite Trail:   Bulldog

Purchased At:   Acme Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   I test rode lots of bikes in the $2200+ area (i.e., $2000-$3000 range): Giant, Specialized, Gary Fischer, etc.

Bike Setup:   Cross country: tires: 35 psi; suspension: stiff front and medium rear. I am going to move everything in at least 1-1/2" and cut the handle bars accordingly.

Submitted by 12ferreale a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight for it's capabilities. Very plush travel over larger obstacles. Good bottom out protection when tuned right.

Weaknesses:    When propedal is off, there is a a lot of bobbing when pedaling up large hills when I pedal standing up. But, if I spin there is very little bob.

Bottom Line:
This is a great all around bike. Although it is a bit heavy, it can take five foot drops and do well on tight cross country singletrack. This bike is perfect for epic, back country rides. The frame has five plus inches of travel so I would not classify it as a cross country bike. The 09 Dawg even has mounts for a floating caliper.

Favorite Trail:   Hall Ranch, Boulder, Colorado