Kona Abra Cadabra All Mountain Full Suspension

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

The Abra Cadabra's technology and geometry has been honed through the rigors of enduro racing. Kona Enduro Team members Karim Amour and Matt Slaven throw these bikes up and down mountain biking's most demanding race courses. With a new 142x12 rear axle, incredibly light and lively Scandium 6069 tubing, and a Magic Link platform that can switch from extreme up to extreme down solely based on rider and trail input, the Abra Cadabra is the ultimate do-everything ride. New for 2012, ISCG 05 tabs and cable stops for gravity dropper seatposts.

• Fox 32 Talas Fit RL 150mm w/15mm TA fork
  • Fox Float RP23 shock
  • Avid Elixir 7 brakes
  • Easton Haven wheelset

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Richard Arapolu a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs really well. Descends well. Is very tuneable and adaptable.

Weaknesses:    Takes extra effort to manual and bunny hop in plusher suspension settings. No ISCG mounts. Heavier than advertised. Poor tyre clearance 2.2 max.

Bottom Line:
    Bought frame as new old stock for just under $1k. Built it up super ghetto with only a 130mm fork 1x8 drivetrain and cheap dh style bars cranks and wheels. Frame weight with headset and shock was 3.5kg/7.7lbs.
    Climbed well and descended well out of the box with 30% sag 2mm movement on the auxiliary shock in the plush setting.
    I was amazed at being able to pedal better with so much sag than my old Coilair did running 15% sag and yet be way plusher on the rough stuff. First time at the bmx track pumping and jumping it went all psycho till I realised you have to slow the rebound to match the coil shock. once I did this it pumped great and jumped beautifully. I am looking to upgrade to the air auxiliary shock in the future so I am not restricted to 2 or three rebound settings. I have tried setting the suspension up in the firmer setting with almost no movement on the second shock. It climbed even better manualed easier and still took big hits well but was a bit harsh on the gnar. I set it easier on the switch and it overcame some of this but, I have switched it back to the plush position again and now I never touch it. I am very happy with this frame and I am sad to see Kona discontinue the magic link bikes. It could be a little slacker and lower but, the magic link with the stock fork will dip back to a 67 degree head angle from the stock 69 and I intend to put a longer than stock fork on it in the future. As for the height I'll sacrifice a little cornering for lack of pedal strikes and being able to climb over or onto just about anything. It looks great and I love the fact that it is made out of scandiminium and magnesium.

Favorite Trail:   Lancaster Kalamundu circuit

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Similar Products Used:   Kona Coilair 2007

Bike Setup:   Dm 18 rims, truvativ cranks single ring and bash with ghetto chain tensioner, RST fork 130mm, Easton vice stem, titan bars, tektro mech brakes, felt and crank bros pedals bontrager tyre front, dyno rear, shimano 1x8 gears,fuse saddle.

Submitted by Acba a Cross Country Rider from Mexico

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2011

Strengths:    From looks to riding experience, almost everything

Weaknesses:    handlebar

Bottom Line:
    Impressed... bought it because I've always liked how Kona bikes ride and despite the fact the Cadabra sounded "too good to be true". Well, it is better than it sounded and is true!!!. This jewel jumps, drops off, eats rocks so easily! Magic link if properly set up (had problems with initial set up) works wonders without you even thinking to switch on/off anything.

Of course there's always room for improvement and better components and bla, bla, bla... could be added but then you can just pay the extra 1000 for the abra cadabra I guess. A taller handlebar will be my next move, but this is totally a personal preference.

... oh and did I mention the looks???? you can bet there will be no more elegant and better looking bike wherever you go

Purchased At:   zen bikes NYC

Bike Setup:   as purchased plus candy 3 pedals (Crank brothers)

Submitted by Prestige a Racer from Helsinki, Finland

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2011

Strengths:    Magic link! Super fun coming downhill, carries speed much better than any bike I've ridden before. Feels really solid and well balanced.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Only thing I'd swap is 10mm bolt trough axle for the rear wheel, but Easton wheels don't allow that.

Bottom Line:
    Review is for 2011 model. Really love it! Looks great and works really well. At first i was little suspicious about the 150mm talas, but that has been very plush and solid. I've already ridden everything with it, done one enduro race with it, few days in bike parks riding some DH tracks and lots of trail riding. Bike felt perfect at all times. Feels very light and is about 30 pounds with my setup, and thats size L. I'm surprised since I loved my Meta before, and this beauty climbs and descends better! Would recommend to anyone who's after great all mountain machine.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm riding

Purchased At:   Laajavuori Bike Park

Similar Products Used:   Commencal Meta 55, 2006, 2007, 2010

Bike Setup:   Stock + RS reverb, new xtr trail pedals and E13 the Hive. Just swapped Maxxis LUST tires and turned grips other way around so that the lockrings are at the end of the bars. Loving the stock setup!

Submitted by nickhead a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne VIC

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, strong, fast and bloody good pedalling. easton haven wheels!!!

Weaknesses:    the saddle dosent agree with my but. the gips only had one lock ring and moved near the ends.

Bottom Line:
    i was incredibly surprised at how efficient a climber this bike is. it just eats up the trail and gave me a huge amount of confidence straight away due to the stiffness and plush suspension. it does exactly what is claims. i havent actually needed to use propedal yet and i dont think that i will.

Favorite Trail:   Wombat VIC

Purchased At:   Essendon Cyclery

Bike Setup:   stock standard 2011 model except swaped the grips for some ourys and fitted some geax lobo loco tyres for a bit more grip in the soft stuff.

Submitted by bipedillusionary a Cross Country Rider from Rapid City, SD

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2010

Strengths:    Aggresive climber, nimlbe and secure dowhills. I am enjoying this bike more and more each and every ride. The MagicLink system would best be described as a mathmatical pivot that simply functions under pressure. This truely is a just get on it and ride type of bike.

Weaknesses:    I have found that this bike (possibly tires, etc.) reacts swiftly in loose material....(loose gravel, sand, etc.) I notice this more on the uphill sections as the back tire will spin out under these conditions.

Bottom Line:
    I truely am happy with this bike/purchase. I spent 6 weeks researching, testing, riding, diffrent bikes. I had narrowed it down to several bikes. Specialized Stumpy Elite, Trek Fuel EX9, Cadbra, Cannondale Rize 3. All of these bikes had pros and cons. The Stumpy was a sick bike, however I really felt like the Kona was a more comfortable climber, I really love the power and acceleration it offers in technical sections. So I crossed the Stumpy off the list. Trek was nice bike as well, but after testing riding it several little things happened, the seat clamp was loose and couldn't be retightned, and the brakes seemed to act differently in same scenarios making me lose confidence quickly. Trek was crossed off. The Cannondale actually got the least testing but felt really good. I was a little sketched on the Lefty fork, and the componetry was lacking for the price I felt.
    So I test rode the cadabra, and honestly felt super comfy on the bike immediatley (even though I was coming off of a ten year old bike that is considerably more raked out) The guys at the bike shop were super professional but also really down to earth. Through talking with them, having them tweak out the bike for my test rides (which no one else did) and never pressuring me to buy. They were the a solid team to buy from. So after lots of deliberation the Abra Cadabra has become my bike of choice.
    In a nutshell, aggressive climber, smooth downhill dominator, sexy.

Favorite Trail:   Centenial

Purchased At:   Acme Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Klein Adept Comp

Bike Setup:   stock kona setup

Submitted by Derek@2bgoods.com a Downhiller from Avon, CO

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, nimble handling, bottomless feel, aggressive pedaling, loves to accelerate and stand up under power. Much better lateral stiffness than the G1 Magic Bikes

Weaknesses:    Not sure how it should be spec'ed...

Bottom Line:
    Been fortunate to test the Magic Link bikes since the conception with early prototypes. And in 3 years time, I can say this particular bike is chiseled and refined, and may be the very definition of "All-Mountain". At 6.4" travel and build-able from 26 lbs, this bike may turn the AM class upside-down . But the hell with my word go demo this bike. Haters beware. Straight up nasty.

Favorite Trail:   Blair Witch

Purchased At:   Test Ridden

Similar Products Used:   Coilair 08, 09, 10 other Magic prototypes and reproduction

Bike Setup:   28.2 lbs as tested- Crossmax, Fox RP23, Fox Float RL, XT

2013 Abra Cadabra bolt kit.

I would like to know 2013 Abra Cadabra bolt kit number.Kona USA says "Ask to local dealer". But I asked local dealer and he said "I doesn't know". Please help me.Read More »

2013 Cadabra/Abra Cadabra anyone?

hi, has anyone got or ridden one of the above yet? i can find limited info about them. I have already got one winging its way to me, just want to see what thoughts are for this years model and any experiences of the set up. cheers DTRead More »

2011 Cadabra/Abra Cadabra - Same Frame?

Hi there, I have a 2011 Cadabra and it's going to go on a diet, starting with wheelset. I am wondering if it is the same frame as the Abra Cadabra, which is a fair whack lighter, or is it just a fat frame and I'll be fighting a losing battle trying to slim it down. Cheers, WingsRead More »

2010 Abra Cadabra

Hey! just wondering what the cost of a new Abra Cadabra frame is ?? and weight for a 17" frame with rear shock?? Is there a link to parts for building up the frame ?? Thanks for any help.Read More »

2 abra cadabra 2012 questions

1. Does it fit a maxxis 2.5 tire? 2. Does it have iscg 05? I know the cadabra 2012 has not.Read More »