Knolly Chilcotin All Mountain Full Suspension

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Chilcotin - feel confident that you have brought the best weapon for serious adventure on any terrain. Are you the kind of rider who doesn't mind climbing, but the reason you are climbing is to rip down that epic descent? Then look no further! The Chilcotin is the answer with it's short chainstays, slack head angle and low bottom bracket height paired with one of the plushest suspension designs on the market (Knolly's patented Four by 4) this frame begs for you let off the brakes and really let it go to work slaying the toughest terrain! The Chilcotin is the 6.3? all mountain bike that truly rips it all! With a fully active suspension design and shock options like Cane Creek's Double Barrel extremely adjustable air or coil shock, this frame really allows the rider to dial in the suspension to your riding style and preference. Check out Brian's Knolly Chilcotin on the Orange Pulp blog. Super versatile in design with two head angle / bottom bracket height options: set it up as a climbing friendly rig or low and slack for trail and park shredding. A 1.5? head tube allows any fork / headset combo you want including Cane Creek's Angleset. Additional features include cable routing for a height adjustable seat posts and ISCG-05 chain guide tabs for both single and dual ring chain guides. Features: -Sizes: S, M, L, XL -Available Colors: Limited Edition Team Orange, Pearl White, Britania Blue, Annodized Black, Raw, and Day Glo Yellow -Head Tube: 1.5", 49mm top and bottom headset cups -Suspension Linkage: Patented and proprietary Four by 4 Linkage -Tire Clearance: 26 x 2.5" -Front Travel: 150-180mm (6-7") Yes, you Dellerium fans can run a 180mm fork on this bike! -Rear Travel: 160mm (6.3") -Rear Hub Spacing : 142mm x 12mm thru axle (included) -Dropouts: Replaceable derailleur hanger Available shock options: Fox Float CTD Kashima (stock) or upgrade to a Cane Creek Double Barrel coil shock (steel spring) or Cane Creek Double Barrel air shock.

Submitted by Charles

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2014

Strengths:    This thing does everything from bike parks to running your local trails.

Weaknesses:    Pretty expensive, and the stock linkage doesn't hold up.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding this frame for about 6 months or so and have put about 1,200 miles of abusive riding on it. Doing bike parks whole enchilada and running local trails it has been holding up great and then some. The only weakness for this bike that I have found so far is the stock linkage. The stock linkage will eventually shear the top shock bolt over time of riding hard, but I believe this to be fixed with the new 3d linkage (I believe this comes stock now with the 2014 models make sure to ask if ordering one). This is for riders that want just one bike to do everything and she does. My riding style is doing everything thing from distance riding to hucking drops and jumps.

Submitted by thefriar a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs tech better than anything, Surgically precise handling, plush, stiff, "tossable" in the air. It hasn't broken over a season of riding that's included 4 days at Whistler Bike Park and 3 at Mt Creek (enduro sworks broke within 9 months of new and enduro only saw 1 day of lift serve)

Weaknesses:    Flat and open isn't as quick as an Enduro.

Bottom Line:
If you want something that Climbs up anything, descends anything, and you can take chances but need a bit of confiedence, this is your bike. Took it to Blue Mt Reservation in Peekskill NY on Saturday for 4 hours of pedaling with folks on smaller lighter bikes, then dropped the BB on Sunday and went to MT Creek Bike Park in NJ on Sunday and hung close enough with folks on full on DH sleds.

I've found the 4x4 to be the best technical climbing platform out there. Sure its not as snappy on climbs as DW Link, but when it gets loose, steep, and tech going up hill, as long as you keep pedaling it keeps going vs. spinning out regularly happens with DW (I've had a DW sultan for 4 years...).

Descending can't be beat, took the bike to whistler for 4 days in the park and it still did XC duty without changing anything. Maybe a niche bike, in that if you need something for tough tech and more freeridey type long rides, this wins.

I didn't notice the rusted bolts until someone pointed them out. I guess if it doesn't affect performance I don't notice it. Doesn't feel heavy vs. Sworks Enduro with nearly identical build.

Favorite Trail:   Monster at Blue Mountain or Tempest at Mt Creek

Similar Products Used:   Own a 2011 Enduro Sworks, Trigger 1, DW Sultan, and have tested FSR and Mojo HD...

Since Enduro is most comparable... the Enduro really likes to be pushed hard and fast, its an amazing 5 chili bike in itself, but vs. the chilcotin in flat out own hill speed and plushness its tough. the Chilcotin does take it in the slow tech and climbing while flowy fast more open the Enduro is tool of choice.

Bike Setup:   XTR Drive (2x) and Brakes, Fox 36 Float, DT500xHope Pro Evos, Joystick bar and saddle, KS Lev, Speshy Butchers

Submitted by sam a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2013

Strengths:    Fast, confidence building, takes big hits, you can adjust the frame geo in 30 seconds even on the trail, looks sick!

Weaknesses:    I have been riding this bike for a year now and i really like how it does going downhill with the cane creek double barrel air , if you want to climb you better get a shock with a lockout and build it with a light build kit. After two months of riding some rear suspension bolts backed out and could have really done some damage if i didnt catch it fast. Also a lot of the bolt heads have a significant amount of rust on them and it looks terrible.expensive for an aluminum frame.

Bottom Line:
this bike is overkill for everyday riding, the build quality is ok and needs some improvement. If you want to ride XC or AM buy a carbon bike with an lockout shock. If you want to shuttle places like Ashland OR or Downieville CA that is mostly downhill but still requires pedaling then this is the bike for you. I just feel this is just too much of a niche bike for most people who can only afford 1-2 bikes. I tried to brake the mold with this bike, its just not as good as some of the bigger bike companies options ie: enduro, nomad etc.

Favorite Trail:   missing links, ashland or

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   wrench science

Similar Products Used:   pivot: firebird, mach 5.7, specialized:eduro carbon, pitch, stumpjumper fsr 26 and 29, santa cruz nomad carbon, trek remedy 9, giant trance, diamond back mission.

Bike Setup:   x fusion vengeance 170mm, cane creek double barrel air, reverb post, 2x10, slack

Submitted by bubba13 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2013

Strengths:    Four by Four suspension is very active like Horst link without excessive bob. Laterally stiff. Great stand over for 6.3" of travel. Adjustable geometry. Excellent line routing. High quality finish and built to last.

Weaknesses:    None with the frame. Cane Creek DBair has issues with fast bushing wear at top eyelet. (this issue may be fixed now)

Bottom Line:
I have been riding the Chilcotin for a year now and it has been an excellent AM frame. Like the reviews above, the suspension works great for technical climbing and descending. You do not feel any tension from the chain in any gear or when braking.

Rider position is very balanced at the center of the bike. This is my second Knolly and when built with a coil out back and a 170mm RC2 fork up front, it feels a lot like the Delirium. The Delirium is stiffer and more burly, but the Chilcotin should easily handle what most riders will need from an AM/FR lite frame. One of the great things about this bike is the range in which it can be built. It works great as a 38 pound monster or a 30 pound trail/AM rig. Just build it within it's design parameters and enjoy.

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Moment. Knolly Delirium. Trek Slash

Bike Setup:   Fox Float 170 RC2, Avalanche Woody coil shock, Chris King hs/bb/hubs. Flow EX rims. Saint brakes/cranks.

Submitted by softailteamrider a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2012

Strengths:    Climbing like cheating, performance to weight ratio, frame structure rigidity, geometry, headset options with 49mm headtube size, rear shock options, neat craftmanship, and the look is sooo beautiful...

Weaknesses:    Umm..., ummm... not sure if one piece 3D forged/machined linkage will make any difference on the already super-stiff frame.
and only if you need a water bottle on the small frame for short ride (I don't)

Bottom Line:
I would not normally write a review about a bike I purchased as the new bike excitement will fade after a little while. (Last time I put a review write up here was 8 years ago I think). But with this beautiful beast I just couldn't resist.

Where to start? The geometry is perfect for me. Somehow the small frame positioned my 5'4" short stature right on the balance, making front and aft movement is a breeze, corresponding to the expected response from the bike on any situation.

The slickest is climbing -like everyone said-, it's like you're equipped with tools to cheat your technical capability. I climbed the steepest gradient I could, with loose rocks and gravel where even with 29-er I would normally have 30% failure rate (almost 70% failure with hardtail), on the Chilly it's not a problem at all. The traction was magic, like velcro sticking on the fabric. It surprises me the wheel dig down better than 29-er ful suspension. The legs is the limit. The traction remind me to my Horst-Link bike with some more glue with Chilly exhibit better pedalling eficiency (no perceivable squat). The relatively slack HA did not inhibit Chilly climbing prowess, in fact it's planted even with 180mm fork upfront.

Descending will make you grin ear to ear. Chilly tracks with authority, the stability masked my lack of finesse, bailed me out from unwanted situation. The rear absorbed the trail like no other, in fact it make the Fox at front felt so harsh, forced me to keep re-dialing, thinking it was too much pressure. Coming from Nomad v-1 with DHX-5 coil rear, I can't feel the Chilly absorber was an air shock, no doubt it is CCDB-A which could help the sensation. The 3-5 feet jumps were absorbed and damped smoothly, no unwanted bouncing nor bottom out. Bet you have to take your time to fiddle with the shock adjustment knob.
Pedaling on the trail propel you forward while flattening the trail chatter. Again I expected some squat robbing forward momentum but I didn't feel it as much as on my Horst Link bike and not far from DW-Link rigs I have ridden. The suspension is active without claiming (at least what I can feel) pedaling power.
I built the bike just shy of 32 lbs, not too light but really I didn't feel the weight except on the long continuos climbing. For the capability to weight ratio, I mark it very highly. If there is an extra chilly for the overall rating, I'll put one for this Chilly.
If you want the lightest 6" bike, forget it. But what fun is that if could not deliver full 6" travel with consistent behavior. If you are a true all-mountain rider, seasonal DH-er need daily rigs, even XC rider who wants to push up to the big mountain... this is your equipment.

Duration Product Used:   3 months approx

Similar Products Used:   Own(ed) : Turner 5Spot HL, Intense Tracer HL (original pre-vpp), Kona Dawg, SC Blur, SC Nomad V-1, Ibis Mojo HD, Pivot Mach 5.7, SC TRc and some XC hardtail and full sus including 29-er travel ranging from 100 - 125mm.

Bike Setup:   Small frame with CCDB-Air shock, XT gruppo, 2x10 crankset, 203-160mm brake rotor F/R, Answer ProTaper bar and stem, Fox Talas 180 (zero stack headset), Stan Flow rims on Hope Pro II Evo hubs, KS-i950 seatpost, PD-647 pedal, weight: 14.5 kg (31.9lb) with pedal

Submitted by 006_007

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2012

Strengths:    Classic Knolly lineage - super stiff frame, excellent quality, inspires descending confidence, really strong technical climber.

Weaknesses:    Brand new out of box frame is almost too pretty to take onto a muddy trail.

Bottom Line:
Ascending - Such a strong technical climber - each evolution of the Knolly suspension keeps getting better. No front end wander with a 160mm fork, rear traction is almost endless over technical features. This bike very well could be part mountain goat.

Descending - Oh my. Really. Oh my. Even with its superb climbing capabilities, you simply point this thing downhill, pick a line (any line) that you want, and let the bike take you there. The rear end of this bike feels so solid, and tracks so straight it puts a big sh!t eating grin on your face. Steep rough sections dont seem as steep and rough. Very calm and predictable through roots, rock gardens, chutes, drops and anything else you may choose to throw at it.

Quality / craftsmanship - There was initial concern about what would happen with the quality of Knolly frames when the manufacturing was relocated. From what I can see the best thing they ever did was relocate the manufacturing. The quality of the new frame is superb. Everything just went together perfectly on this frame. The machining is a complete work of art. I had a tough time deciding if I wanted to mount this above my fireplace, or build it up and ride it. So glad I built it up to ride.

I am totally stunned how much better this bike is then the original Endorphin - It climbs better, descends significantly better, and its lighter. Well done Knolly, another very satisfied customer here.

Bike Setup:   Medium Chilcotin w CCDB air, Fox 36 Float RC2, XTR cranks, XTR front derailleur, X0 rear derailleur, X0 rear cassette, X0 shifters, XTR brakes, I9 wheelset, Thomson stem, KS i950 seatpost - 31.5lbs

Submitted by Andy a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff rear triangle. Excellent for descents and surprisingly good climber. Makes me smile!

Weaknesses:    The frame is on expensive side.

Bottom Line:
This is my first Knolly product. I was in the market for an all-mountain bike and had demo'd at least eight all mountain machines from the usual suspects. I had a favorite, but I wanted a chance to ride the Chilcoltin. No demo Chilcoltins were available in my area, but Roaring Mouse in San Francisco offered to help me resell the frame if I did not like it. I called Knolly and tried to get a feel for how the bike would feel by asking them some questions. They asked me what bikes I had ridden and they said the Chilcoltin would feel most similar to bike X. Unknown to them, bike X was my current favorite.
So, I took the chance and made the purchase, opting for the CCDBA for the rear shock. Man, this bike rocks! I have never had so much fun as I have had on this bike. When pointed down, it encourages very aggressive riding. I do not have a great deal of finesse, but the bike is so forgiving that my mistakes have thus far gone unpunished. The bike climbs surprisingly well considering its slack geometry. I would rate this bike at the very top of the all-mountain category.

Favorite Trail:   Anything at SDF (Santa Cruz Mtns)

Purchased At:   Roaring Mouse, SF

Similar Products Used:   SX-Trail (owned). Mojo HD, Enduro, Carbine, Nomad, SB66, 575, ASR5, Fuel, El Guapo (all demo'd)

Bike Setup:   Chris King Headset and Hubs. Platform pedals. Mavic 823 rims. X9 rear D. and shifters. Stylo crankset. Formula 'The One' brakes.

Paid Spam: Knolly Chilcotin, Avalanche Lyrik/DHX Coil, LB 33mm carbon/hope hubs

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=95537]Knolly Chilcotin Frame, Avalanche DHX/Lyrik, Carbon Rims/Hope Hubs - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url]Read More »

Paid Spam: Knolly Chilcotin, Avalanche Lyrik/DHX Coil, LB 33mm carbon/hope hubs

Some Chilcotin chase cam

Freakishly hot and humid ride in Austin. You guys up north push some of that cold air down here !!. [video=vimeo;105817627]http://vimeo.com/105817627[/video]Read More »

Chilcotin and Podium in action

A friend wanted to put together an edit of my brother and me so that we would have something to look back on. It was a great time filming with them both! [url=http://vimeo.com/105457026]Highland on Vimeo[/url]. Cheers!Read More »

Chilcotin 27.5?

Hey guys, Wanted to check with all of you Knolly riders to whether or not you anticipate the Chili going to 27.5 in 2015. I'm currently riding a 27.5 Covert, which I love, but am already feeling the itch to switch things up. Knolly's have always been on my radar and I'm wanting to make my next ... Read More »