KHS AM 2000 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.47/5 (17 Reviews)

-Alloy 4-bar linkage frame with sealed bearing pivots and a Fox DHX 3.0 rear shock, adjustable travel to 4, 5 or 6"
-Marzocchi Dropoff 130mm travel front suspension
-FSA Pig headset
-27-speed drivetrain with Shimano Hone crankset, shifters and derailleurs
-WTB Weirwolf 26x2.3" tires
-Shimano Hone 6" hydraulic disc brakes
-Truvativ riser bar, stem and seatpost

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Sumner, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2009

Strengths:    (2007 AM2000) Quality welds, Price, Tire clearance, Excellent handling

Bottom Line:
The 2007 KHS AM2000 is an awesome ride and an excellent buy. I bought my AM2000 frame to replace my LD-526H frame that broke in half. At 6'-4" and 210 lbs, I ride my KHS every bit as hard as I did my LD-526H and I haven't had any trouble from it. I set mine up as a single speed using a Yess ETR-V chain tensioner and it still climbs better than any 35 lb bike should and descends like a banshee. Its an excellent ride.

My ONLY reservation with the AM2000 would be an oscillation in the steering that occurs if you ride hands-free at 30+ mph. Scarey!

BYOB and go ride it!

Favorite Trail:   Skookum Flats

Purchased At:   Bob's Bikes (eBay)

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Rocket 88, Trek VRX300, Leader LD-526H

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi All Mountain 1 fork, Single Track rims, Panaracer Fire DH Pro 2.3, Blackspire NS1 chain guide, Cane Creek headset, Bontrager Race Lite stem w/FSA FR-270 bar (full length), Titec El Norte Expert seatpost, Selle Italia Flite saddle & Avid BB7 brakes (8" rotor front), Yess ETR-V chain tensioner, Truvativ Hussefelt Howitzer BB & cranks

Submitted by nagatahawk a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2008

Strengths:    this is my follow up after one year. Strong build. Crashed big time on a rocky downhill, I still recovering, the bike was unscathed! The bike still shifts like new, all bearing are good.

Weaknesses:    wheels feel a little on the heavy side. I don't like the platforms, I switched recently to spds/platforms. I can really tell the difference pedaling and overall control of the bike. I destroyed 3 shocks, they should be installed inverted to prevent the shock from hitting the linkage as I recently found out. I went to a Fox DHX Coil 5.0, its super plush and can be adjusted to any type of riding conditions. I run it with the lowest propedal settings and there is no pedal bob and gives you that smooth coil cushion. I can't get the forks to really work the way I like them. I will probably go to air/coil fork.

Bottom Line:
I like the color, flat gun metal grey with subdued graphics.
great all around bike and bang for the buck. I even use it to do neighborhood run. I'll be looking for some curb jumps!

After one year of trail riding on Local SoCal trail. the bike is holding up well, so far I broke out some spokes when a branch jammed into the rear wheel, bent a rear hanger when I fell in a rock garden. Crashed on a rocky downhill, the bike survived with out damage.

the Manitou Pearl rear shock had to be replaced three time because it hit the linkage, I should be inverted. I now have a Fox DHX coil which run at 5.5 travel. It felt to cushy at 6 inches of travel.

The front forks are Marzocchi AM2, I can never get the air foks to feel right. but they have not leaked or broken anything.

The stock Weineman rims are narrow and heavy, but have taken all the abuse I have thrown at them so far.

The Hone components work as well as any Shimanos I have ever ridden. the Hubs are good, shifts well,

I didn't like the platform pedal, but that's personal preference. I have swithed to a set of Spd platforms. I can pull out and use the platforms on downhill or super technicals. I feel I have more overall control over the bike when clipped in.

Favorite Trail:   anything off road

Purchased At:   Wheel World Culver C

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS air, Specialized M4 hardail(hated it)

Bike Setup:   All stock except the Fox DHX Coil 5.0 and saddle

Submitted by Simon Lee a Weekend Warrior from Lakewood, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2008

Strengths:    This is a 2007 AM2000 frame.Peddles very well for a 30lbs plus bike. Frame is well made and honestly can not tell the difference with other boutique bike besides the color. rides very similar to Turner 6 pack. Well made.

Weaknesses:    Rockshox 3.3 is a decent shock but lack butter smoothness of DHX 5.0. With floodgate half way closed, it's too harsh and I would only recommand only during climbing uphill. Fly seatpost collar will not work on this fram due to possible contact with rear linkage when bottoming out.

Bottom Line:
A solid bike if you're not too concerned about its branding. Ascends really well and decending is ok but not great even with the floodgate opened all the way. I will swap the rear shock soon with Fox dhx 5.0 coil 7.75/250. I think changing the rear shock will definitely give this bike a new life. Not that it's bad now.

Purchased At:   Bob's bike

Similar Products Used:   Turner 5.5, Turner 6pack, Kona stinky,

Bike Setup:   usual stuff. Nothing fancy.

Submitted by Charles Joseph a Weekend Warrior from South Lake Tahoe CA

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2008

Strengths:    Price, looks, adjustable rear travel, WTB Weirwolf 2.3 tires, Truvativ 31.8 bars & Stem, price.

Weaknesses:    KHS customer service. Weinmann rims are fairly generic. Hone components are not compatible with other industry standard Shimano or Sram parts. Linkage bearings wear out very quickly and the frame begins to rattle if they are not replaced. KHS advertises this bike as coming with the Marzocchi ALL MOUNTAIN 2 fork (made in Italy), it ACTUALLY comes with the AM 2 fork (made in China) and is an entirely different, lower quality fork. Also noteworthy: The Rockshox Pearl shock has to be installed so that the valve side is inverted when the frame is in the 6" travel position or the air valve will be sheered off by the linkage!

Bottom Line:
A decent bare bones, poor man's all mountain bike for the price. That being said, this will most likely be my last KHS bike. Dealing with KHS customer service is ridiculous. When your linkage bearings wear out after only 100 miles of use, you shouldn't be charged to replace them! If you ever have a warranty issue DEFINITELY have the bike shop where you bought it, even if it was mail order, deal with KHS. You will have much better results. KHS doesn't seem to care about the individual consumers. Also, note my "weaknesses" section. Thee are a few too many entries in that section for me to be a 3rd time customer.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Similar Products Used:   1998 K2 Beast, 2003 KHS FR2000

Bike Setup:   Added ODI Rogue lock-on grips and switched out the WTB Power V Comp saddle for a narrower WTB Pure V Race. Everything else is stock.

Submitted by timothy klopper a Cross Country Rider from queens NY USA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2008

Strengths:    great on downhills and uphills! the rear wheel sticks while climbing and the manitou nixon super and rockshox rear shock soak up everything on the descents!

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
this is an awesome bike! i was worried about all the talk about bob and biopacing but set up right this frame shows none of that. i'm 210-215lbs and the frame and fork feel plush and nowhere close to bottoming out. i used to ride a mongoose rockadile 95 model(when mongoose still made a good bike for a good price) and this bike feels just as nimble and climbs just as well as my hardtail. i thought it would take a while to get used to riding a new bike but its like i've been ridin it for years! cheers to the guys at bills cyclery on roosevelt for settin it up for me!

Favorite Trail:   nassau-suffolk greenbelt

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   piece by piece on ebay

Similar Products Used:   never road a duelly till i got this

Bike Setup:   full xt, manitou nixon super nixon front 145mm, pure v saddle, azonic 2" riser bar, wtb velociraptors, azonis shorty, wtb laser dh on wtb dual duties, avid bb7's 185mm

Submitted by Ice 9 from Philipines

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2008

Strengths:    Strong frame, very versatile bike.. can strike anywhere. xc, aggresive trail, downhill, 4cross..

Weaknesses:    none so far...

Bottom Line:
A real deal for a black diamond bike. Can strike anywhere... From newbie rider to an expert rider. From cross country to aggressive trail.. from four cross to downhill.. THE ONE BIKE, FOR ALL KINDS OF RIDER.

Bike Setup:   marzocchi all mountain 1,fox dhx3, xt group, xtr roller, sram x7 attack shifter, easton handle bars. etc

Submitted by Darren a Weekend Warrior from south island New zealand

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2008

Strengths:    i have the 2007 model with a horst link strengths:rock shox pike 426 fork frame
,rear shock (rock shox 3.3)

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
good value for money handles jumps really well downhills well for not being a full on dh rig not the lightest for xc but does nearly as well uphill as my old hardtail

Purchased At:   bike hq

Similar Products Used:   giant reign

Bike Setup:   rock shox pike 426fork rockshox 3.3rear shock hayes hfx-9 withe 7inch rotors xt shifters and rear derailer truativ husslfelt cranks sun single track rims so basically stock

Submitted by wayne nagata a Weekend Warrior from los angeles

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2007

Strengths:    Strong frame, climbs well for a 33 lb bike. climbs as well as my NRS carbon at 10 lbs lighter. I did not put enough air into the rocksox Pearl and it was bottoming out. so I turned around and rode back to the trail head so not to damage the shock. this is my second bike, the first one i returned because the shock was sticking and and a bad scratch on the shock shaft. the bike was very stable on the downhill. I did not like the stock seat, it was to wide and hurt. I will try some drop offs and rough stuff this next week end. so far the balance on this bike is better.

Weaknesses:    The wtb stock seat was too wide, it hurt. I replaced it with a wtb rocket v. smaller and lighter. the rocksox pearl isn't as good as the fox shock equivalent. I will replace it later with a better shock.

Bottom Line:
bang for the buck, they still have a bunch of am bikes for sale for about the same price at Wheel world. check out their websit.

Favorite Trail:   sycamore canyon

Purchased At:   wheelworld culver city

Similar Products Used:   Previous bike was a NRS carbon

Bike Setup:   Shimano hone groupo, marzocchi am2 fork. wtb 2.3 tires.

Submitted by CJ a Downhiller from nebraska

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2007

Strengths:    super strong frame, 4 bar suspension design

Weaknesses:    Fox DHX 3.0 was leaking right out of the box, Fox easily remedied problem.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for all conditions, mine is set up for more freeride. You can set this bike up for your specific riding style. Great bike.

Purchased At:   adrenaline bikes

Similar Products Used:   Haro Extreme, K2 Tirade

Bike Setup:   Boxxer Ride forks, Bontrager big Earl tires, Supergo FR wheelset, LX components, Avid Mech. brakes

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Chandler, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2007

Strengths:    This bike does exactly what it's name implies. It does everything very well. Jumps, climbs, blasts through rock gardens, and you feel in complete control on downhills. Nice and sturdy frame, to progress your skills on. Has a smooth quality feel to it

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
My only other extensive experience with a long travel trailbike has been on a Coiler deluxe, which I rented up in Sedona. That bike was awesome, so I knew it was time to go full suspension. I had planned to get a Coiler frame, but found this frame for half the price. I know, I've heard all the baggin that people say about KHS, but this frame seems to be built every bit as good as a Kona. Catalogue frame or not, this bike is awesome! (And just so you know, it is the very same frame as a Harvey cycles PNF ).
The Coiler was more towards the Freeride side of all-mountain, so it was more aggressive in the sense that it made you seek out things to drop off. This bike sits right in the middle, being a little bit better climber than the Coiler, and with a longer cockpit to give it a slightly more cross country riding position. It is still every bit as capable at handling drops and stuff, within reason of course. I weigh 240# and this bike doesn't flinch under my weight. It was also nice to discover how balanced the bike feels in the air. it's no dirt jumper but it launches very smoothly, and doesn't feel heavy in the air.
I really don't buy all the hype surrounding VPP, and all the brands that use a version of it. I've ridden an Iron horse 7 point 7, and Giant Riegn, and don't feel that they pedaled any better than this KHS. Weather the bike bobs or not, it doesn't really matter if it's still moving you forward efficiently. Nothing is plusher than a four or faux bar back end, and this bike pedals and climbs awesome for a 36.5# bike. Anyway, this frame makes a superb do all mountain bike.
If you have reservations about being seen on the trail on a KHS, forget about it and swallow your pride! This frame will do everything a bigger band name, or boutique bike will do, and for this price you could buy another to have as a backup!

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Adrenaline bikes

Similar Products Used:   Kona Coiler, 7.7, Riegn

Bike Setup:   All my existing parts from my hardtail. Good solid all mountain build: Hussy cranks and bar, singletrack wheels, Thompson seatpost and stem, Pike 426 dual air, Roco air, Sram x7 drivetrain, and IRC trailbears

Submitted by steve torres a Weekend Warrior from visalia,ca us

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2006

Strengths:    love this bike I got sweet deal frame only,downhills nice,climes good.love the pro-pedal dhx shox

Weaknesses:    dhx spring 300 too light for me had to upgrade 700

Bottom Line:
this is a great race bike.

Favorite Trail:   sky line

Purchased At:   adrinalin bikes

Similar Products Used:   khs dj 100

Bike Setup:   marzocci am 05, sram shifters,lopes bling-bling tires,turvative bars and cranks

Submitted by Joe Williams a Weekend Warrior from Kingsport, Tn. USA

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2006

Strengths:    Price! Level of components that are stock on the bike. Tires hook-up. Excess travel.

Weaknesses:    That annoying popping in the front fork. I've just about got it tuned out, but I've had to play with the adjustments quite often.(Weakness, NO, learning to tune forks, YES) Platform pedals are meat grinders.

Bottom Line:
Still one sweet bike. For my weight and frame build, it is great. Rides great, no problems with suspension bob from forks or rear shock. Hone components are great. Rear brake squealed for a while, but now is pleasantly quiet. It must have taken longer to break-in. I recomment this bike to anyone wanting more suspension travel that the XC bikes. It will still do all you need it to do and more.

Favorite Trail:   Warrior's Path State Park

Purchased At:   Athletics Unlimited

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 90, KHS XC 204

Bike Setup:   This set up is from months of riding and tuning from the above review. I'm now down to 20 psi in the front, and may come down more. Compression is 0. Rebound is 4.5. Rear is still 90 psi. I rolled the bars forward because of hand problems and this seems to be the biggest "comfort" adjustment I've made. I'm currently removing the big ring up front and installing a bash ring. I've purchased a Saint rear derailluer, but am having problems mounting it up to the Hone hub/axle.

Submitted by Nick Gunderson a Weekend Warrior from Bismarck, ND, USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2006

Strengths:    Tough, Pedal Freindly, Great All-Around Bike, Hone Group tough as hell

Weaknesses:    Getting use to dual-control and rear derailer settup

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the value. Can take almost anything if setup right. Can be used for anytype of riding within limits. Fox DHX shock has nice Pro-Pedal and is nice and plush.

Purchased At:   Internet

Bike Setup:   Stock cept 150mm Marzocchi Z1 instead of 130mm Droppoff

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Methuen, MA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2006

Strengths:    Smoothness, Pedals great, Awesome components, comes with a great build (no need to upgrade anything)

Weaknesses:    None found, possibly weight if you want to be like that, but really nothing that holds this bike back.

Bottom Line:
This bike can't be beat for a true All Mountain bike in this price range. The full Hone component group is awesome, no skimping even on the front derailleur. I did keep my old fork only because I mostly ride single track. But there no place on this bike that comes up short. This bike does it all, tight and twisty, rocky and rooty, it climbs it descends, with no real short comings. There's not a whole lot out there that can be had at this price range that is spec'ed and performs as well. The only flaw I've found is when descending under hard braking with heavy bumps a bit of brake jack can be felt. The solution is simple though, let go of the brakes, the bike descends great. I was happy with my last KHS and am Extremely happy with this one. I really don't think they can be beat in the value department. This is the perfect bike for anyone who wants a go anywhere do anything bike. Buy this bike you won't be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Hampstead TF