Jamis Dakar All Mountain Full Suspension

• Chain: Shimano HG-74, 10-speed
  • Cassette: Shimano HG81, 10-speed, 11-36

Submitted by ricky928 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2013

Strengths:    Fox DHX 4.0 rear shock. Geometry is good for all mountain riding. Pretty indistructable so far.

Weaknesses:    Rear dropouts are only set up for 135mm QR. If you add a thru bolt to your rear hub, it may stiffen it up a bit. However, so far I haven't noticed too much lateral flex in the rear. Weight is a little heavy, but it makes for a better workout when climbing. Paint easily chips and flesh color is a little weird, but who cares. Headset is a little weak.

Bottom Line:
I bought this frame from Jenson USA for $427. I initially purchased the 08 model frame, but they sold out very quickly and gave me the 09 frame for the same price. So far, I'm really liking this frame. I ride National trail in South Mountain regularly and it handles it pretty well. A dropper seat post is a must for me since the head tube angle is not as slack as I'd like it to be and I can shift my weight to the back for big drops and technical sections. I played around with the geometry by putting on different length stems, bars, and forks and I've finally come up with the right set up. I am currently running a 70mm stem with 720mm bars and a 160mm fork. This allows me to ride technical sections and still be able to ride fast in cross country trails. The bottom bracket to me feels a little low as I am hitting rocks with my pedals while climbing, but it seems very stable during descents. The propedal feature of the DHX Air 4.0 is very useful and allows me to climb more effeciently. Overall, it's a pretty plush bike and indistructable. I am looking at upgrading to a 10mm thru bolt on my rear axle to stiffen it up, but it's been fine without it so far. The only reason why I'm not giving it a 5 chili rating is for the weight.

Favorite Trail:   National

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   2003 Jamis XLT 2.0

Bike Setup:   Fox TALAS 160mm fork, XT drive train, Mavic 819 hoops paired with DT Swiss 440 front and 340 rear hubs, Hayes Trail brakes with 203mm front and 185mm rear rotors, Answer Protaper 720mm carbon bars and 70mm DJ stem, Gravity Dropper seat post.

Submitted by Jordan a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2013

Strengths:    Everything, i love the security of the frame to go dh as fast or faster than anyone on the mountain. It also has the agile componence to freeride! really happy with it.

Weaknesses:    havent really had one yet besides zip ties rubbing specs of paint off you can hardly tell but thats not really the bikes fault.

Bottom Line:
the best bike ive ever had so far no problems with it really eccept bent the d railer but that was on me. Good bike!

Submitted by rcard a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2013

Strengths:    The carbon frame is a piece of art, slx components seem to do good. Rear shock platform works better than presumed. Front shock has great adjustability features. Brakes are strong so far. Thru axels are stout. Overall ride is amazing.

Weaknesses:    replaced grips and tires before first ride so I can't honestly comment on those but I don't think they were strong points. Will probably replace the seat eventually. Rims not %100 straight and the rotors aren't %100 straight

Bottom Line:
Jamis xct 3 2011. Paid $1999 from Jenson 1-15-2013. Retailed @$4600. At first i was worried about its climbing ability do to the slack head angel and possible rear shock bob but that was quickly dismissed after the fist climb. This bike likes to go and isn't afraid of anything. I did things on this bike I didn't even consider on my other bikes. Coming off a 2.8" travel xc bike i had no idea how a bike could give you so much confidence. It climbs great, turns great and is a blast when pointed down, it's a fast bike. I'm 6'2" and went with the 17" frame and I felt at home on this bike pretty quick, but i like a smaller frame for the real technical stuff. I always thought my self as a xc style rider but I'm having to rethink this now. This is the bike I could do an all day xc on or do the usual "go out and see what i can do" ride. Although I've only got 1 true trail ride with it so far, I feel Jamis nailed it with this bike and for the price paid I couldn't be happier.

Favorite Trail:   blue river "burp"

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Jensen

Similar Products Used:   2001 fisher sugar3
19"&17" hard tail

Submitted by VtVolk a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2012

Strengths:    Suspension design, build, stiff, light, value for money is among the best

Weaknesses:    Could use a wider set of bars (easy upgrade)

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the 2011 XCT 1.0. Overall, this bike is amazing, especially for the price. Totally solid build with no junk components anywhere. The Monarch shock is super plush but handles bigger hits with ease. While, climbing, bob is very minimal, and the rear tire sticks to the trail like glue. The XCT scampers up the trail and shines on climbs. I initially was skeptical of the fork...until my first ride! Small bump plushness is among the best I've experienced, and the 15mm thru axle and Mavic wheelset make the front end super stiff and controlled. The bike is light and nimble enough to toss around and get creative with line choice, but I also found it easy to just get back and blast straight through rock gardens and let the Epicon and thru axle rear end do it's thing. It definitely feels like a bigger AM bike on the descents, possibly due to the relatively slack head angle. The drivetrain and brakes are simple and reliable.. The juicy threes are much better than some reviews I've read would lead me to beleive. The 185mm rotor up front helps, I'm sure. Stem, seat post, saddle, and even grips are all really excellent, and I love Jamis's attention to detail. The only upgrades I felt compelled to make were a wider bar, a bash guard to replace the big ring, and some knobbier tires for my local conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Fusters, GMT

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Similar Products Used:   2009 Jamis Dakar XCT, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Bike Setup:   Stock except bars, tires, bash

Submitted by Shawn a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2012

Strengths:    A great descender and single track bike. It can handle technical trails with ease as well as the climbs. Overall geometry of the bike makes you want to stay out of the saddle to make the most of the trail, but is still efficient and very plush when you're seated. Just in the last week I have really started riding, averaging 30km/day mostly trail riding with the odd side hit and everything is holding up well. The last few rides have been in hot and dry conditions however and the rear brake is sounding with a resonating thumping feel. I have the 2009 model and the fox 4.0 is really great. The fork however is not smooth during stationary observing as it will stick and make a sort of popping noise when it releases from the position. When riding though it isn't that noticeable and the fork actually handles any series of bumps really nicely; and on the contrary to a few reviews of this shock, it will use its entire travel. Overall, its amazing on descents and performs really well on the trails. I've been in a few cross country races and it can definitely leave those carbon cross country bikes behind. I most likely cant even experience its full potential though as I would fit better on a size larger than the 17".

Weaknesses:    Purchased this bike from a Jamis store and both rims were bent as they wouldn't spin truly. This was fixed with a few adjustments to spoke tension however and the problem hasn't reoccurred since. Not too sure about the brake set, and the seat has its creaking moments.

Bottom Line:
MSRP for the 2009 model was 2750, I paid 1999 and in comparison to the possibilities out there, you cant get much of a better bike than this one for the price. Therefore, good value and overall its a great all mountain, trail, downhill, single track bike.

Submitted by Chris G. a All Mountain Rider from Boise, Id, USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2012

Strengths:    This bike is user friendly. If you are a first time Mt. biker or have been on the trails for years, you will love the feeling of this bike. The shock and the fork lock out to make riding to the top easier. Then unlock them and have the time of your life flying down your favorite trails. This bike will handle all you can throw at it, from big drops, to technical trails, you will not be disappointed.

Weaknesses:    The fork came with 140mm of travel. It is capable of 160mm of travel, if you know how to remove a spacer in the fork.

Bottom Line:
Bottom Line, I liked the bike so much after just one day in the mountains I came home and ordered another one. Yes that's right I have two of them. My 14 year old son rides one and pushes it very hard, he has taken it off a 15 ft drop on more than one occasion. My advice to anyone looking for a reliable, dependable bike is " BUY THIS BIKE." I am actually thinking about buying another one for my daughter. Best of luck. (you won't need luck if you are riding a Jamis Dakar XAM 1.0)

Favorite Trail:   Deer Valley

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   Felt, Cannondale, Giant, and Specialized, all were full suspension bikes.

Bike Setup:   The bike has great components. Most of them are med range quality, no cheap stuff you would find on a bike of similar price.

Submitted by mike motto a Cross Country Rider from pa.

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2011

Strengths:    good componets

Weaknesses:    ive broken jamis xct2 2011 frame at seatpost top tube juntion.poor customer service on jamis.its been 4 days and have heard nothing from bike shop.great bike.poor quality

Bottom Line:
i don't ride hard or do massive drop offs.i'm 51 years old and was told these bikes would handle my weight.wish i would not have bought jamis products.is the next frame they send going to break ? I WOULD RATHER HAVE MY MONEY BACK.and buy a surley black ops.or one of the fat tire bikes and just ride real slow.jamis customer support is bad.or maybe i'll tell them to keep the bike.thanks jamis after riding for more than 20 years.I QUIT

Favorite Trail:   lake nokomixon

Similar Products Used:   2010 jamis xct2 broken rear chainstays at bottom bracket resulting in low speed separition.no injury

Bike Setup:   both bike custom set up to my weight 240lbs,cannot say enough about bike shop.owner goes to great lengths to satisfy customer and has knowledge as well as schooling to back him up

Submitted by SMcCall a Downhiller from Provo, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2011

Strengths:    Beefy frame, pretty much the best components you can get (2009 version). This thing downhills as well as it climbs.

Weaknesses:    Cable ties, they end up rubbing the paint. I took of the Joplin seat post and sold it because I hear they break easily. But other than that I can't find anything wrong with the bike at all

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this bike to anyone. I can't believe Jenson was selling this for 2 grand, it has a 5,000 dollar build on it. If you can find the 2009 version BUY IT! It is so sick! It destroys the downhill, park, and uphill. Love it.

Favorite Trail:   Deer Valley

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   Kona Operator, Specialized Enduro, Kona Coilair

Bike Setup:   All stock except now it has thompson seat post.

Submitted by jpetersm a Cross Country Rider from Deland Florida, 32720

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2011

Strengths:    agile, smooth. stock geax tires grip great, avid elixer breaks are quiet, fox talis and rp23, well unbelievable, no back pounding or clunking noises like my old bike. sram shifting is intitive and fast, mavic cross ride disk wheel set with bladed straight pull spokes .... unbelievable ride, been to the trail every day so far, can't get enough.

Weaknesses:    no complaints, it could your an awsome paint job like Mark Cavendish’s Scott "bomber" race bike.

Bottom Line:
Love It, beating my old times with half the effort. Looks really sharp.

Favorite Trail:   Chuck Lennon

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   motobecane fantom team

Bike Setup:   25mm setback seat post, 90mm x6m rise stem, 40mm riser bar, egg beaters, all else stock

Submitted by throoper a Weekend Warrior from laramie, wy

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2011

Strengths:    Everything, basically. I love it. Kinda heavy for my 120 lbs but for the money I'll take the weight!

Weaknesses:    Back brake sometimes squeals and pulses (not sure if there's a technical term for that). Also, a friend has the same model and the frame broke 2x before he finally went with a Yeti frame. Granted he's a big dude though. Heavy tires and wheelset.

Bottom Line:
See "strengths" - I really love this bike. It handles super well, hasn't given me any problems, good on rocks/sand/dirt. Especially for half off (JensonUSA website), I am a big big fan. I've only been riding for a couple years and I haven't ridden a FS before this one, so I admit I don't have a lot to compare to. But I love it!

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Haven't ridden a FS before - previously rode a Trex 4300 hardtail.

Bike Setup:   All stock except replaced tires with WTB WeirWolf RaceTire 2.1s

Submitted by Cilo a Weekend Warrior from Turkiye

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent Price/Quality Ratio (even without a discount), Climbs very well even better than my hardtail, goes down buttery smooth.

Weaknesses:    Paintjob gets scratch easily. Assembly (I dont know who did it, jamis or jenson, but mine has a lot of toolmarks). I also didn't like the tires for my riding conditions.

Bottom Line:
Bought 2008 model with a huge discount, and very pleased with it. Its climbability is only matched with goats. Has a short cockpit and a high BB. Handles superbly. Paint is easily scratched, a big difference from my Trek.
For the amount of money that a had, i would be buying it again if i have a second chance.

Favorite Trail:   Aydos

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   None. I am a former hardtailer...

Bike Setup:   Changed rotors to 8"/7", instead of 7"/6". Rims from XM317 to EN 321, Ergon Ge1 grips, Panaracer CG AC 2.35 tires. Everything else is stock...

Submitted by cannondale4567 a Weekend Warrior from Wales, MA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2011

Strengths:    -PRICE! I got the 2009 model (still for sale at www.jensonusa.com) for $2,200! (bike was $5,000 in 2009!!!!)

-Suspension is amazing....comes stock with pretty much top of the line Fox suspension

-Hammershmidt!

Weaknesses:    -Price (if you paid full sticker price of $5,000)

-Weight (only if you're a weight weenie)

Bottom Line:
Get this bike if you want a real All Mountain warrior! I've done every type of riding on it from full on DH runs (Mt. Snow VT) to fast singletrack with a lot of climbing.

Favorite Trail:   Vietnam, Bachelor Street, Highland Mountain Bike Park, Mt. Snow, Diablo Freeride Park

Price Paid:    $22000.00

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Stock other than the following:

-PRO! Atherton Lock on grips

-Easton Elite seatpost (shaves almost 1 pound by getting rid of the Joplin)

Submitted by graciebarrabjj a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2011

Strengths:    Frame and geometry are top notch. The epicon fork will suprise you...it eats up drops like nothing!

Weaknesses:    Oem seatpost broke on my first ride. Upgraded to a bomb proof easton havoc.

Bottom Line:
This bike works ver well. The geometry is perfect for xc/all mountain riding. The epicon fork absorbs small and large drops with ease. The frame is ver soild but little annoying things like squeks near the saddle and saettube need to be addressed. Once i fix that the ride will be very quiet. For the price u cant beatbthis bike. I tested this bike at Tsali trails in North Carolina. The bike and i feel like one machine. Get this bike you will not be disapointed.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali (north carolina)

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Bike Setup:   Stock except the seatpost which is a easton havoc

Submitted by mtbmc82 a Weekend Warrior from Missoula, MT

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2011

Strengths:    True all-mountain performance. Comfortable. Nice component specs. Rails downhills.

Weaknesses:    Front end is lazy on climbs (especially when I'm tired). Repeated pinch flats in the rear were resolved with a new tire. Crank Bros. Pedals are no good. The bearings in one of them were grinding after only 3 rides.

Bottom Line:
Does most everything. Fun to ride. It won't put you on any podiums, but it is fun to ride none-the-less. I use it mostly for trail riding, though I have also used it for lift-access downhill. It pedals well, but does not like steep climbs. The head-tube angle is strangely lax resluting in th aforementioned lazy font-end. It bombs downhill though, so if you can handle the lazy front-end it's worth it. I climb mostly forest service roads and double-track to bomb down the fast and fun single-track, and this bike does the job. Would give it four chilis overall if it climbed better.

Favorite Trail:   PBR

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Various brands and set-ups. Specialized, Santa Cruz, GT, Giant, Sram, Shimano...

Bike Setup:   Stock except I swapped the pedals for Time ATACs. CST Camber 2.25 on the rear. And Ergon grips.

Submitted by OCcali556mm a Weekend Warrior from Stanton, CA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2011

Strengths:    It is a great descender and freeride for a all mountain bike and still has enough all mountain experience to uphill. You can get it for as cheap as 1000 dollars stock.

Weaknesses:    It does way 36lbs which is heavy for uphill; although, I can still productively uphill with it. It is just a tad heavy.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for an all mountain biker that leans toward descending. It has the durability and weight that can succeed in dh runs and the geometry to still accomplish your occasional uphill adventure.

Favorite Trail:   Winterberg, DE

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Bike Setup:   Jamis xam 1.0 08' Raceface dh stem, answer protaper dh handlebars, sram x.9 shifters and x.9 rear and front derailleur, shimano m582 2x crankset, highroller frnt and minion rear tires.

Jamis Dakar XCR 29er: anybody riding one ?

Posted this same question a few days ago in the 29er section, but no replies. Does anyone has some feedback on these models ? Are they suited for east coast singletracks ? ThxRead More »

Jamis Dakar XCR 29er: anybody riding one ?

Hi, I would like to know what positive / negative experience riders with a Jamis Dakar XCR29er have. Anybody riding east coast technical singletrack with one of these. Didn't find a lot of reviews. ThxRead More »

New Guy - Need a FS bike 13 GT Carbon 100 9r Elite or 12 Jamis Dakar XCT Pro

Hey folks! I've been trolling the forum a bit and have found it very helpful. Thanks for all good info that's been provided already! I ride mostly all mountain single track. Intermediate trails to be more specific. I've been looking at these two inexpensive carbon FS bikes. Does anyone have a ... Read More »

Dakar XC 2006 Bearings

Has anyone ever replaced all of the suspension bearings on a 2006 Dakar XC? I have never replaced them and the bike has been ridden every year since I bought it new in 06. How hard are they to get out? Can you get the bearings at a bearing shop? Thanks for the help.Read More »

2014 Dakar XCT Comp rear shock size

Anyone know what size (like 7.875 x 2.25, or 190 x 51) rear shock the 2014 Jamis Dakar XCT Comp takes? The stock 130 mm xfusion O2 RL shock on mine seems to have lost its rebound damping (boing!), and I'm figuring out if I have a spare that fits.Read More »