Jamis Dakar XCT 1.0 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)
Weight : 32.50 lbs MSRP : $1539.99

The Dakar XCT 1 isThe aluminum interpretations ofThe carbon Dakar XCT 4 and XCT 3 machines. Same incredible lateral rigidity andTorsional stiffness fromThe 1-1/8" – 1.5"Tapered headTube and asymmetric mp4 swingarm; same smooth, supple, active-in-all-conditions suspension action and laser-guidedTrailTracking.The drivetrain isShimanos new 3x10 Dyna-Sys which should bring an abundance of pleasure on every pedal stroke.The XCT bikes areThe most capable all-trail, all-mountain bikes Jamis has e

Submitted by VtVolk a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2012

Strengths:    Suspension design, build, stiff, light, value for money is among the best

Weaknesses:    Could use a wider set of bars (easy upgrade)

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the 2011 XCT 1.0. Overall, this bike is amazing, especially for the price. Totally solid build with no junk components anywhere. The Monarch shock is super plush but handles bigger hits with ease. While, climbing, bob is very minimal, and the rear tire sticks to the trail like glue. The XCT scampers up the trail and shines on climbs. I initially was skeptical of the fork...until my first ride! Small bump plushness is among the best I've experienced, and the 15mm thru axle and Mavic wheelset make the front end super stiff and controlled. The bike is light and nimble enough to toss around and get creative with line choice, but I also found it easy to just get back and blast straight through rock gardens and let the Epicon and thru axle rear end do it's thing. It definitely feels like a bigger AM bike on the descents, possibly due to the relatively slack head angle. The drivetrain and brakes are simple and reliable.. The juicy threes are much better than some reviews I've read would lead me to beleive. The 185mm rotor up front helps, I'm sure. Stem, seat post, saddle, and even grips are all really excellent, and I love Jamis's attention to detail. The only upgrades I felt compelled to make were a wider bar, a bash guard to replace the big ring, and some knobbier tires for my local conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Fusters, GMT

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Similar Products Used:   2009 Jamis Dakar XCT, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Bike Setup:   Stock except bars, tires, bash

Submitted by graciebarrabjj a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2011

Strengths:    Frame and geometry are top notch. The epicon fork will suprise you...it eats up drops like nothing!

Weaknesses:    Oem seatpost broke on my first ride. Upgraded to a bomb proof easton havoc.

Bottom Line:
This bike works ver well. The geometry is perfect for xc/all mountain riding. The epicon fork absorbs small and large drops with ease. The frame is ver soild but little annoying things like squeks near the saddle and saettube need to be addressed. Once i fix that the ride will be very quiet. For the price u cant beatbthis bike. I tested this bike at Tsali trails in North Carolina. The bike and i feel like one machine. Get this bike you will not be disapointed.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali (north carolina)

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Bike Setup:   Stock except the seatpost which is a easton havoc

Submitted by gasandmatches a Weekend Warrior from Fullerton, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2011

Strengths:    Well built, stiff frame, feels very solid. Comfortable geometry. Suntour Epicon fork is actually quite nice when dialed in right. I have the blue smoke color which looks awesome in person (weird online). Shimano Deore shifters / derailers.

Weaknesses:    The stock tires and saddle aren't that great, but they work okay. The rear shock (Rock Shox 2.1) isn't the greatest, but it gets the job done.

Bottom Line:
I've only had this bike for a few days, and in that time I've taken it out for a few test runs on my local trail. I was able to get the bike at a great discount because it is last year's model and it was well worth it. It's smooth on downhills and climbs nicely as well. I was afraid that the full suspension might make some climbs a bit of a challenge, but the Rock Shox 2.1 doesn't bob to badly so the lack of a lockout isn't really an issue. I test rode quite a few bikes in this price range, both hardtail and full suspension, and the Dakar XCT 1 really stood out in my test rides, mostly because of its geometry, its a very comfortable ride. Aside from just the test rides, the components are a great value for a bike in this price range. This is a great first "serious" bike, and those looking to take their riding more seriously, or pedalers looking to get the most bang for the buck won't be disappointed.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar XCT 1.0 2010 model, 1999 Trek 6500zx

Submitted by muttonmark a Weekend Warrior from Midland, MI

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2011

Strengths:    Frame Geometry, Plush on Downhills, tracking in the corners

Weaknesses:    Rear Shock has no lockout, so climbs can be a chore(maybe I just need some better legs)

Bottom Line:
I bought this frame alone including Rear Shock, so this review does not apply to OEM components. So far, I've done my very first two races, and although I did not do so well, I can firmly tell you that it had nothing to do with the bike, it was the rider. This frame sucks up downhill drops and dips, and tracks well in the corners. I am relatively new to the sport, but if it wasn't for the confidence that this frame has given me towards being aggressive, thus thrusting my skillset, I wouldn't have been in any races. I am not the lightest rider at around 200lbs, so my components aren't exactly the lightest, but it comes in at just under 30lbs. I had some questions regarding exact frame/tube dimensions when sizing up components, and Jamis Custy Service is second to none. If youre looking for a good frame to improve riding skills, you can't go wrong here.

Favorite Trail:   ANY

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Reynolds Signature 853 hardtail

Bike Setup:   Manitou Super Skareb Fork, Avid BB7, Shimano XTR, Race Face Evolve XC Crank/BB, Easton Havoc/EA70 Cockpit, Mavic Crossride Disc, Maxxis Ingnitor/WTB Exiwolf, Ergon Grips

Submitted by Caicedo a Cross Country Rider from Miami

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2010

Strengths:    Frame is strong and, from fork (Epicon)is much better I thought, The more you ride it the better it gets

Weaknesses:    I hit pedal a lot I heard the same in other reviews, you have to change your riding style a bit

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with this bike, I think for the money athat you pay for it is a great frame (it has the rear suspension totally horizontal, it gets a lot of people looking) the commponents are not the best, again I think the fork is much better than people think, the rear it is defetnly a basic one, as soon starts giving up I will be upgrading(cant wait)
I have done so far a race and I was very happy with it.

Favorite Trail:   Oleta Park, and Amelia park

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Giant 4.0, specialize

Bike Setup:   change pedal for shimano xlt clips, and about to change the stem for a shorter one, rest as it came

'09 Jamis Dakar XCT 1.0 Rear Shock Upgrade

I am having some issues trying to find mounting hardware on a rear shock upgrade for my 09 Dakar XCT 1.0. The stock shock is a Rock Shox Bar 2.1 w 10mm hardware. The shock that I purchased is a 2011 Rock Shox Monarch RT3 w/12 mm hardware. Too much play. Has anyone done an upgrade, and where did you ... Read More »

Jamis Dakar XCT 1.0 '09

So I am looking to get into FS. Would this be a good place to start. I would go to the lbs but i like putting bikes together and even with a discount I don't think I could get a bike for this $. Does anything stick out as a terrible component on this thing.Read More »

2009 Jamis Dakar XCT 1.0 on eBay

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180633290734&ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT[/url] I'm looking for a new bike to replace my current Haro V3 Hardtail. Do you guys think this would be a good deal if I could get it for about $700 shipped? Also, does 17" seem right for me being 5' ... Read More »

Dakar XCT 1.0 Sizing

Hello, Thinking of picking up the XCT 1.0 frame off Jenson USA. Unsure of which size I would need. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.Read More »

Jamis Dakar xct 1.0 upgrade suggestions?

I just bought this bike (Jenson USA),and have only put 70 miles on it but I am ready to shed some pounds. What will give me the most bang for the buck on this bike? I checked the front wheel assy and it came in at 5 lbs. Thanks for the help!Read More »