Jamis Dakar XAM 1.0 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.48/5 (21 Reviews)

Jamis overhauledThe XAM last year, and still found room for improvementTo make it even better!They beefed upThe chainstay and yoke dimensions and madeThe rear dropoutThru-axle compatible.The resulting increase in lateral stiffness keepsThe rear wheelTracking in line withThe front no matter how deep you are into suspensionTravel.The mp3 suspension makesThe XAM an incredibly plush, yet efficientTrail bike.The suspension is fully active, so go ahead and claw your way up-trail, free of pedal-bob, an

Submitted by ricky928 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2013

Strengths:    Fox DHX 4.0 rear shock. Geometry is good for all mountain riding. Pretty indistructable so far.

Weaknesses:    Rear dropouts are only set up for 135mm QR. If you add a thru bolt to your rear hub, it may stiffen it up a bit. However, so far I haven't noticed too much lateral flex in the rear. Weight is a little heavy, but it makes for a better workout when climbing. Paint easily chips and flesh color is a little weird, but who cares. Headset is a little weak.

Bottom Line:
I bought this frame from Jenson USA for $427. I initially purchased the 08 model frame, but they sold out very quickly and gave me the 09 frame for the same price. So far, I'm really liking this frame. I ride National trail in South Mountain regularly and it handles it pretty well. A dropper seat post is a must for me since the head tube angle is not as slack as I'd like it to be and I can shift my weight to the back for big drops and technical sections. I played around with the geometry by putting on different length stems, bars, and forks and I've finally come up with the right set up. I am currently running a 70mm stem with 720mm bars and a 160mm fork. This allows me to ride technical sections and still be able to ride fast in cross country trails. The bottom bracket to me feels a little low as I am hitting rocks with my pedals while climbing, but it seems very stable during descents. The propedal feature of the DHX Air 4.0 is very useful and allows me to climb more effeciently. Overall, it's a pretty plush bike and indistructable. I am looking at upgrading to a 10mm thru bolt on my rear axle to stiffen it up, but it's been fine without it so far. The only reason why I'm not giving it a 5 chili rating is for the weight.

Favorite Trail:   National

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   2003 Jamis XLT 2.0

Bike Setup:   Fox TALAS 160mm fork, XT drive train, Mavic 819 hoops paired with DT Swiss 440 front and 340 rear hubs, Hayes Trail brakes with 203mm front and 185mm rear rotors, Answer Protaper 720mm carbon bars and 70mm DJ stem, Gravity Dropper seat post.

Submitted by Shawn a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2012

Strengths:    A great descender and single track bike. It can handle technical trails with ease as well as the climbs. Overall geometry of the bike makes you want to stay out of the saddle to make the most of the trail, but is still efficient and very plush when you're seated. Just in the last week I have really started riding, averaging 30km/day mostly trail riding with the odd side hit and everything is holding up well. The last few rides have been in hot and dry conditions however and the rear brake is sounding with a resonating thumping feel. I have the 2009 model and the fox 4.0 is really great. The fork however is not smooth during stationary observing as it will stick and make a sort of popping noise when it releases from the position. When riding though it isn't that noticeable and the fork actually handles any series of bumps really nicely; and on the contrary to a few reviews of this shock, it will use its entire travel. Overall, its amazing on descents and performs really well on the trails. I've been in a few cross country races and it can definitely leave those carbon cross country bikes behind. I most likely cant even experience its full potential though as I would fit better on a size larger than the 17".

Weaknesses:    Purchased this bike from a Jamis store and both rims were bent as they wouldn't spin truly. This was fixed with a few adjustments to spoke tension however and the problem hasn't reoccurred since. Not too sure about the brake set, and the seat has its creaking moments.

Bottom Line:
MSRP for the 2009 model was 2750, I paid 1999 and in comparison to the possibilities out there, you cant get much of a better bike than this one for the price. Therefore, good value and overall its a great all mountain, trail, downhill, single track bike.

Submitted by Chris G. a All Mountain Rider from Boise, Id, USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2012

Strengths:    This bike is user friendly. If you are a first time Mt. biker or have been on the trails for years, you will love the feeling of this bike. The shock and the fork lock out to make riding to the top easier. Then unlock them and have the time of your life flying down your favorite trails. This bike will handle all you can throw at it, from big drops, to technical trails, you will not be disappointed.

Weaknesses:    The fork came with 140mm of travel. It is capable of 160mm of travel, if you know how to remove a spacer in the fork.

Bottom Line:
Bottom Line, I liked the bike so much after just one day in the mountains I came home and ordered another one. Yes that's right I have two of them. My 14 year old son rides one and pushes it very hard, he has taken it off a 15 ft drop on more than one occasion. My advice to anyone looking for a reliable, dependable bike is " BUY THIS BIKE." I am actually thinking about buying another one for my daughter. Best of luck. (you won't need luck if you are riding a Jamis Dakar XAM 1.0)

Favorite Trail:   Deer Valley

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   Felt, Cannondale, Giant, and Specialized, all were full suspension bikes.

Bike Setup:   The bike has great components. Most of them are med range quality, no cheap stuff you would find on a bike of similar price.

Submitted by OCcali556mm a Weekend Warrior from Stanton, CA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2011

Strengths:    It is a great descender and freeride for a all mountain bike and still has enough all mountain experience to uphill. You can get it for as cheap as 1000 dollars stock.

Weaknesses:    It does way 36lbs which is heavy for uphill; although, I can still productively uphill with it. It is just a tad heavy.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for an all mountain biker that leans toward descending. It has the durability and weight that can succeed in dh runs and the geometry to still accomplish your occasional uphill adventure.

Favorite Trail:   Winterberg, DE

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Bike Setup:   Jamis xam 1.0 08' Raceface dh stem, answer protaper dh handlebars, sram x.9 shifters and x.9 rear and front derailleur, shimano m582 2x crankset, highroller frnt and minion rear tires.

Submitted by MtBgUy87 a Weekend Warrior from Valencia, Ca, usa

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2011

Strengths:    Good geometry, strong, good finish, fox dhx air

Weaknesses:    A bit on the heavyside

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for a weekend enthusiast like myself. The bike handles very well on tight turns and drops. The fox dhx air soaks up alot of big hits from rock gardens to jumps and drops. I bought the frame from jensonusa for $550....sweet deal!!! Very sturdy frame, chainstay welds look good, paint job looks really cool also, great bike for XC use or all mountain riding. I dont climb so well but im sure it wouldnt be so hard with the propedal in the shock. The descent is a blast!!

Favorite Trail:   Viper

Similar Products Used:   Ironhorse fourX

Bike Setup:   Manitou nixon, fox dhx air 4.0, avid bb7 brakes, truvativ blaze crankset, shimano deore shifters f+r derailuers, easton ea30 bars, easton vice stem, sunrims single track wheels, wtb velociraptors.

Submitted by jjkrynock a Weekend Warrior from charlotte, nc

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2010

Strengths:    plush ride; good balance; customer service from Jamis is excellent. stock shocks and suspension (marzocchi bomber and fox dhx air 4.0 propedal) handle very well. seems to be tough bike to damage. shifters work very well and consistently when adjusted properly

Weaknesses:    my chainstay broke (fluke?) but was replaced very quickly without hassle under warranty. tires that came with it are un-impressive

Bottom Line:
This was a fantastic bike for me to pick up. I'm just getting into the sport so I don't know much and haven't ridden many other bikes, but it has been good to me. It fits me, rides smooth, and handles whatever I can throw at it. I've taken it on trails mostly and downhill once, and the bike performed up to my amateur expectations. The chain stay did break by the rear axle after only 3 months. Jamis had it replaced under warranty in about a week and a half with no questions. As long as it doesn't happen again, I'm going to assume that it was a fluke. I've got no problems pedaling uphill with it so the weight (35lbs) is ok.

Favorite Trail:   backyard trails

Purchased At:   jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   none really, I'm just getting into sport

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar XAM 1: marzocchi bomber 55 fork; fox dhx air 4.0 suspension; shimano deohr shifters and drive train; juicy 3 hydrolic brakes with avid g3cs discs; mavic 317 disc rims and kenda nevegal tires (which I plan on replacing soon); easton handle bars

Submitted by thomas20 a Weekend Warrior from wyomining MN

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2010

Strengths:    can do it all lite free ride in twincitys to rockin the trail logs are now not dreaded like they were on my hard tail and it jumps well and can up almost as well down but down is what this really likes to do

Weaknesses:    avid turky gooble thru on my tektro pros much better some might think it is heavy at 35 lbs but then you should be trainin with this bike and than ragin your xc bike when it time to race

Bottom Line:
this bike is the stuff ride it hard it is tuffer than you are and way tuffer than i am did get back in to jumpin and just haven a blast

Favorite Trail:   any and that are fun

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   none first full squshi

Bike Setup:   stock sept the brakes runin 160 front and rear if you need new breakes try the tektro pros they bit well and don't fade and easy to bleed and biger grips

Submitted by trek430032 a Weekend Warrior from greenwood sc

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Strengths:    frame geometry,components are nice for the price,suspension is very plush

Weaknesses:    the only thing i can say is that the rims may be a little narrow fro this bike but they are very strong

Bottom Line:
i test rode several giants including the reighn and trance.i also test rode 2 stuntjumpers.this bike just felt rite from the moment i test rode it.it feels like an extension of my lower body.i am absolutely in love with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   isaqueena trails,clemson sc

Purchased At:   gusto cycles in tayl

Bike Setup:   avid juicys,shimano deore,race face cranks,55tst2 bomber front,fox dhx air 4.o rear,panracer tires,

Submitted by Ens.Mongo a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2009

Strengths:    I researched and rode a bunch of bike before I got the Jamis. You can not pass up this bike due to the components-Front fork etc... This bike is great for the trails in and around Phoenix. It handles the rocky trails pretty well. For the money you can not beat this bike. This bike is a "pig" on down hills, it plows down all the steep hills here. I mean a "pig" in a good way!

Weaknesses:    The bike seems heavy at times. I took off the maxxis 2.35 and replaced them with lighter bontrager 2.10. The hayes hydrolic breaks are ok, I have had to replace the front brake twice. The heat and dry air is the cause of this.

Bottom Line:
This is a good bike for the money. I am going to keep it through the summer to move to a Santa Cruz Blur or a Pivot mach 5. You can not go wrong with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classic and National Trails

Purchased At:   Adventure Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz-test rode a Pivot-

Submitted by third idiot a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane Australia

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent value for the spec. Suspension is great. The bike is tuff - I have been using it for about a year and a half and it has done a few thousand km in that time. It's a comfortable all day bike that soaks up the bumps.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest. stock hubs aren't that flash. Rear brake cable routing.

Bottom Line:
This bike felt right when I test rode it and it proved a great choice. It has handled anything I have thrown at it. It's been great in endurance races. If you want a fast XC bike don't buy this. A great fun bike to ride.

Bike Setup:   Stock. Only some basic basic changes to cassette etc as they have required replacing.

Submitted by Iamwarthog a Cross Country Rider from SLO Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2008

Strengths:    Great Value, great handling.

Weaknesses:    Poor choice of wheel spec, cheap hubs, good rims for a lighter XC bike, but too narrow/light for this type of bike. Stock bars WAY too narrow.

Bottom Line:
I got this to replace my 2003 Heckler, and like it much better. Not that the Heckler has a bad bike, the XAM just suits me better. I prefer the slacker head angle and it is much less flexy at the rear dropouts, the only real complaints I had with the Heckler. The Float RL fork left me very unhappy at first, as it would not get anywhere close to full travel when set to proper sag. That was easy enough to fix though. Took it apart and shortened the air piston rod by 20mm (in increments of 8mm, 8mm, then finally 4mm) to increase the size of the air spring chamber, and now the fork works as it should. A small piece of round aluminum stock was used to make a bridge/brace to tie the swing link together, making a small but noticeable difference in rigidity at the back. Took some experimenting with the boost valve pressure on the rear shock to get rid of a mid-stroke wallow, but now that i've figured that out, i'm very happy with it's performance both climbing and descending. The bottom line for me is, a fantastic handling and performing bike at an awesome price.

Purchased At:   Wally's Bicycle Work

Bike Setup:   Major changes from stock are, Salsa Semi/Chris King wheelset, Avid Juicy 7's, XTR front derailleur, XT Shadow rear derailleur, and swapped the LX shifters for XT because I had some laying around. Saddle/post, bar/stem change for fit purposes. Also some suspension mods.
30.5 lbs with 2.35 Hansventure tires.

Submitted by vernalrider a Weekend Warrior from VERNAL, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2008

Strengths:    SPECED OUT WITH SICK PARTS FOR THE $$$$
Great suspension, pivots and bearings, I love the new LX shifters,cranks, hayes brakes, components, bars, stem, post, seat, got all the small details right even the low end FOX DHX shock is a nice compliment to this ride.

Weaknesses:    CHEAP Alivio Hubs on a dope set of rims and spokes. Cable routing. thats about it

Bottom Line:
Love the performance and the parts. The fox suspension is unbelievable with the design of the pivots and bushings. I was a mechanic for 5 years in college back when Jamis was a hiss and a by-word shunned by all mechanics for it's totally boring nature and overall low-endness. WOW, Jamis has really got FS figured out and it all really started with the DAKAR's back in 04' or so when they first came out. I really believe for the money you cannot get a bike like this. Raleigh likes to dope bikes out too... but all you get with raliegh is a bunch of nice parts, a crappy frame design, and alot of weight. My 2007 Jamis Dakar AM 1.0 does everything and so much better than my doped out full XT grouped, upgraded to the max Specialized Enduro ever could! It climbs well and desends with confidence. I took this to Moab and conquered the infamous AMASA BACK down hill section with only more confidence as I rolled off 2-3 ledges with ease and did what little hucking have ever done with no worries. You can't go wrong with this bike unless you just have to ride specialized, ellsworth, or yeti to be granolla-E enough for you riding group. that's all happy trails!!!!

Favorite Trail:   BUCKSKIN MORGAN, ID

Purchased At:   rustysbikerepair.com

Similar Products Used:   2003 specialized enduro, 2005 Haro X-3

Bike Setup:   Stock- upgrading wheelset soon, just because of the hubs, that's it!

Submitted by WheelieWonka a Cross Country Rider from Northport, New York, USA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is plush, burly, confident and rides amazingly well overall.

Weaknesses:    The weight I guess.... but that's okay. I didn't by it to race. I already have a XC race bike. This is a burly All-Mountain rig.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this bike for quite a while now and I only grow to love it more and more. If you want a fast XC bike this is not it. But if you want to ride all kinds of trails all day this IS it. Too much fun - really. I keep up with XC racers, and can even do some light DH on it. It's everything I wanted and you cannot beat the price. The bike is perfect out of the box. I originally was drooling over the Heckler but couldn't afford it.
I so glad I made the choice to purchase this bike. NO REGRETS. NONE. Get one.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain

Purchased At:   Tarrytown Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky, Cannondale Gemini, Specialized Stumpjumper, Santa Cruz Heckler.

Bike Setup:   All original spec. parts.

Submitted by Jimmy Callaghan a Weekend Warrior from Saskatoon, SK

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2008

Strengths:    Awesome bike for the money, Full Fox suspension, a awesome dealer who is always helpful and goes above and beyond all the time.

Weaknesses:    I broke my chain after about 2 weeks

Bottom Line:
I traded my Specialized epic in for this bike and its the best thing I ever did(the epic had to be fixed constantly).I thought it would be a big difference in climbing but it wasn't all that bad and the ride quality of the XAM is worth it.I wil not be trading this bike for a while and if I do it would definitly be another Jamis.

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   City Park Cycle

Bike Setup:   changed pedals,constantly changing shock set up(which is very easy)

Submitted by joseph a Cross Country Rider from ca

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2007

Strengths:    this thing is alot of fun accept when the brakes give out. the rims are great havent even gotten close to bending them yet

Weaknesses:    the brakes

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for the price tag and performs well. The only problem is the back brake system goes out a lot, 2 times seems like once a month. Luckily not on the trail. The bike is great never ridden anything like it. The amount of travel is perfect for what I haven’t bottomed out the front and the rear bottoms out very seldom. When I first got it the full suspension was a little hard to get used to but that’s normal especially when you’ve been riding hard tales and BMX bikes all your life. If you want a bike that has a price that won’t put a whole in your pocket and will out perform other bikes with similar component line up this is the bike for you. I would put a different brake system on it I’m still looking into that.

Favorite Trail:   ones in my back yard

Purchased At:   bike pro mobile