Iron Horse Sachem 4.0 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.43/5 (14 Reviews)

SACHEM / ALL MOUNTAIN

The Sachem series is one of Iron Horse’s new additions for ‘07. Designed for deep woods and all day rides where a freeride bike is overkill, but that an extra inch or two of travel is the crucial difference. The Sachem dual suspension frame features the single pivot cps design to simultaneously provide exceptional bump absorption and pedaling characteristics in a simple, low maintenance package. The Sachem hardtail is our new proprietary design for back country situations where an xc race hardtail will get thrashed.

(C.P.S.) Centralized Pivot System

Our carefully tuned centralized pivot system (cps) uses a single pivoting suspension with pivot placement medium height and in front of the seat tube. The heart of our cps system is its dynamically tuned leverage rate progression. The result is a predictable classic single pivot feel under power, with improved bump compliance and big hit absorption over other single pivot systems.

FRAME 6" TRAVEL ALL MOUNTAIN DUAL SUSPENSION, SINGLE PIVOT W/ SEALED BEARINGS, 1-1/8" ZERO STACK HEADTUBE, REPLACEABLE DERAILLEUR HANGER, INTERNATIONAL DISC BRAKE MOUNT
REAR SHOCK FOX VANILLA R 7.875" X 2.25"
FORK MARZOCCHI DROPOFF, 150MM TRAVEL

Submitted by Grant.W a Downhiller from Poway, CA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2010

Strengths:    For starters, I would like to warn you that I am going to rave about this bike. Having said that, this bike has done EVERYTHING I can throw at it, and I ride in one of the gnarliest areas in California, if not the gnarliest. This bike, right out of the box, was a piece of art. Tapered tubes, good welds, and perfect components jump out at you. I ride up the mountain, down the mountain, and then hit some of the most world renowned jumps on my way to the parking lot, and for $560, I ride with my buddies who have poured thousands into bikes that can't do anything more than this bike can. Iron Horse may have died, but this bike is still very much alive.

Weaknesses:    The only thing I can think of is that my bike came with a very slightly warped Shimano front disc, which was not removable from the WTB wheels, as it was pinned on. Also, the grips could be better, but ODIs were going on this baby no matter what.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is, unless you are a truly amazing rider, who travels out of state to race, this is the under $1k bike for you. For under 600 bucks, I could never be happier.

Favorite Trail:   4G's

Similar Products Used:   Various dual suspension bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock, v.1 fork, fox van. in the back

Submitted by minorthreat81 a Weekend Warrior from Texas

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2010

Strengths:    Amazing suspension. The Marzocchi fork and Fox shock is a great combo. This thing soaks up everything I throw at it. It is really plush but not so soft that it bottoms out, even off some decent drops. Gives you a lot of confidence when you ride. This bike is very tough. I beat the crap out of it on a regular basis and nothing has broken or even come loose yet. The saddle is surprisingly comfortable. Stock tires work great in a wide variety of conditions. Bombs downhill!

Weaknesses:    I guess it is a little on the heavy side but not so much that it feels like a burden. I have no problem climbing or getting it moving. You can turn this "weakness" into a strength and just get stronger. Stock bars seem a little wide. You can always hack 'em down to suit your needs.

Bottom Line:
You really can't beat a full suspension, 6" travel, hydraulic disc bike for 7 bills. I love this thing.

Purchased At:   rscycle.com

Similar Products Used:   first real full suspension
upgraded from a Specialized hardtail

Submitted by rjwh20s a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2009

Strengths:    Price!! climbs great, handles the big stuff, great hyd. brakes

Weaknesses:    Shifts a little erratic, not too bad. Maybe a bit heavy, but it is an XL frame

Bottom Line:
This is a GREAT bike for the money. Class A components. Lots of travel. I'm 54 and am not about to jump it off of a 6 ft. drop, but I know it would handle it. It climbs like a goat. I hit some rocks and a 8 inch root that I though I was going to "eat it" on and it went over them like it was nothing. I was shocked, 6.5 inches of travel make a huge difference. If you don't want to spend 2 grand on a bike, but want 2 grand worth of handling, pick one of these up before they are gone. Thanks rscycles.com.

Purchased At:   rscycles.com

Similar Products Used:   GT hardtail,

Bike Setup:   Stock except for comfort grips

Submitted by IHrider a Weekend Warrior from Kansas

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2009

Strengths:    Amazing bike its strong, its got 6 inches of front and rear wheel travel, the pivot system is simple and amazing, it jumps good, it defines the terms all mountain you can do anything on this bike i can to 5 foot drops to flat without bottoming out, the hydralic brakes are good and it flys on the trail with good grip

Weaknesses:    shifters are ok but theres nothing else

Bottom Line:
An amazing bike try to find a bike with over 6 inches of travel front and back under 700 new like i said it defines all mountain greatest bike and if you want to make it better then up grade to wat ever you like

Favorite Trail:   Linear Trail

Purchased At:   Rscycle.com

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi z1 sport fork, fox vanilla shock, hayes hydralic brakes, wtb tires rims and seat, all stock

Submitted by bikerkid21 a Weekend Warrior from California

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Strengths:    good frame, good fork and rear suspension, feels nice good tires, great fs bike for the price. good for freeride because of the frame design

Weaknesses:    a little on the heavy sign shifters are a little problem but no biggie

Bottom Line:
good fs for the price a little heavy but its only .7 to .9 pounds heavier then most all mountain bikes good for freeride(thats what im using it for) i would definnetly recomend this bike

Favorite Trail:   any freeride trail

Purchased At:   rscycle

Similar Products Used:   giant glory, giant glory o. iron horse maverick 5.5, giant reign

Bike Setup:   marzocchi z.1 sport fox vanilla WRB prowler tires basicaly stock

Submitted by StevoStyle a Weekend Warrior from Portland ,Oregon

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2009

Strengths:    It seems easy to ride,fun on the trails. The bike looks sweet. After adjusting the suspension to my weight I like it more. Shift ok ,could be better ..paint seems to nick easy but that may just be me..

Weaknesses:    heavy ..stock tires are huge ..but thats easy to change.And they work good

Bottom Line:
I think paying 375.00 for a bike that has front forks that cost $400.00 bucks alone is awesome.The bike had never even seen dirt!!!! I am stolked >>I really like playing on this thing. Cant wait to go bombing down some local trails. I will keep you all posted on what starts breaking first. I plan to break things..hopefully not my neck..If someone like myself gets a deal like this (GO FOR IT )

Favorite Trail:   Barcis Lake ,Aviano ,Italy

Purchased At:   Craigslist.Portland

Similar Products Used:   first real full suspension bike

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Eamon a Downhiller from Scotland

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2009

Strengths:    Solid frame.
Cant go wrong with the marzocchi bombers up front and fox vanilla R at the back. The vanilla R has pro pedal and rebound adjust which is great to have!
Single pivot suspension system feels really plush and handles big drops no problem.
Stock bars feel solid and evoke confidence at speedy technical sections.
Wheel and tyre package fits the bill for downhill.
Overall look is really nice especially in the white. My helmet is also white...looks sweet !
Overall feel is total solid bombproofness.

Weaknesses:    Too Heavy ! Weight acts in its favour on downhill but in the pedal to get uphill to go down is really hard. Its probably due to me being used to a lighter bike but that being said its still too haevy for the "all mountain" experience Iron Horse advertises it as.
Brakes were a problem for me. The conditions we get in Scotland didnt suit the mech disc brakes on this steed. They are responsive enough on the stand in my shop but when you get them on the trails they just dont cut it.
Wishbone style gear shifters are a joke. They'r gettin replaced really soon !

Bottom Line:
100% Solid. With a few select upgrades you will have a sweet ride! If your getting one i will say get prepared for the weight.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress - Magic Mushroom Section

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Scott Gambler 07, Scott aspect 50.

Bike Setup:   Stock apart from brakes. I fitted hayes nine's as they were goin cheap in the shop I work. They wern't my first choice but i got them for a 'steal'. They are actually really good though !

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from Park City, Utah

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2008

Strengths:    The shocks are awesome they absorb plenty of bumps and jumps I take

Weaknesses:    shifters, none really

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the price I paid and one of the smoothest.

Favorite Trail:   Haven't gone on any

Purchased At:   Deer Valley Iron Hor

Submitted by Danny a Downhiller from Reading, PA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2008

Strengths:    Handles well. Feels solid. Suuuper fun to jump. Takes off quickly. Seems to be holding up really well so far... been hitting some 10-15 foot stepdown gappers and a couple medium sized drops. but we'll see how it takes the 6-8 footers at Diablo this summer.

Weaknesses:    Eh. It's heavy. I have a medium frame and I haven't weighed it yet, but I'd say the 37.whatever pounds IH claims it at on their website is pretty far off. I'd say it's definately closer to 40lbs. That being said I have done a decent amount of climbing on it, and it's not the worst bike for it. But I mostly shuttle so this is really a "freeride" bike for me. not an all mountain bike.

other than that, the brakes could be better, but aren't terrible. I'll be replacing them with hydros some time in the near future.

Bottom Line:
I F-ing LOVE this bike! It's super, super fun. And for the money I really can't say anything bad about it. At all.

Purchased At:   performance (yes I feel bad about that)

Similar Products Used:   None really. Only ever been on 8" full on downhill bikes or hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock. Changed the 2.35 intense dh tires to 2.4 folding mutano raptors. Saved 2lbs of rotational weight doing so. NOW maybe it's 37.9 lbs. maybe. super thin tires though. I just blew out both my tires at the sime time on my run yesterday.

upgrades to come:
Fox Float 36r 160mm fork
Fox DHX Air rear shock
Good hydraulic discs... whatever I can get a deal on.

Submitted by Dennis a Weekend Warrior from Fairfax, VA, United States

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2008

Strengths:    Very well balanced, comfortable, and takes any trail you feed it. Shocks are really nice and have a wide range of stiffness. Beautiful bash guard and 7” rotors.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, shifters should be replaced immediately.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a beauty to ride. I personally enjoy riding off 3’ drop-offs, down stairs, and being a speed demon downhill. I wanted a bike that would hold up against pounding, where I wouldn't fear the shocks bottom out, and it has served up to this. The wheels are heavy, yet very strong. I have taken this bike of 4’ concrete drop-off and numerous other poundings, yet I have not needed to true the wheels yet. This bike is more so suited for downhill riding and bashing than anything else since it weighs a whopping 37.9 lbs. Due to its large frame and handlebars, it is not the best for slow, technical trails. The bike’s wide handlebars make it hard to pass between trees and turn quickly. However, they are wonderful for downhill rides, giving the bike a very stable and fluid feel. This bike is a wonderful experience to ride; it is a nice balance between you having control over the bike and the bike taking you on a smooth ride.

Favorite Trail:   Wakefield

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   Panaracer FireAMPro 26x2.3, lizard skin hand grips, crank brothers mallet pedal, sram X-7 shifters and rear derailleur.

Submitted by CJ a Weekend Warrior from Orange County

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2008

Strengths:    the suspension works great for drops, jumps, and hard trail riding. the frame is strong and beefy and can take most everything you through at it. tires are all around good. the brakes really keep you in control on the downhills.

Weaknesses:    heavy and much harder to climb on than my prior hardtail.

Bottom Line:
this bike is basically awesome for the money. it is a perfect bike for a rider who is getting better and wants a full suspension bike that can a take a hit when needed. i do alot of dirt jumping and trail riding and it works really well. buy this bike if you are on a budget and want a strong reliable bike.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   iron horse maverick. specialized stumpjumper.

Bike Setup:   STOCK

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Lancaster,CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2007

Strengths:    All around great bike for climbing, downhill and jumps. Suspension really absorbs alot of hits. Easy turning in switchbacks and feels really balanced.

Weaknesses:    IRA (Internal rebound adjust) on front fork, so it takes a little time getting the sag adjusted for rider weight.

Bottom Line:
Best deal for the money in terms of full suspension in the 6 inch range, very satisfied with overall ride.

Favorite Trail:   Just Outstanding- Kernville

Purchased At:   PerformanceBike.com

Similar Products Used:   DB XC hardtail.

Bike Setup:   STOCK, no changes

Submitted by chris a Downhiller from Gunny Colorado USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2007

Strengths:    Great frame, I bought this bike because my Downhill bike was overkill on some of the trails we ride. I got the 4.0 because it was cheaper than that 6 and I had a Bomber 66 VF2 and Fox DHX 4.0 that i could put on the rig. It has a great feel to it and it makes it easy to pedal around some mild trails but also has the geometry and strength to hit some drops and rock gardens as well.

Weaknesses:    Spec list was kind of weak for what i wanted to do with it but since i had the better shocks already it was ok.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for a beginer wantint to test the waters or anyone on a budget. For I had to throw on some old parts from previous bikes to get what i wanted out of it. Bottom line a great bike for the price. If you want to free ride on it get a better fork and rear shock.

Favorite Trail:   Dr.'s Park / V Drop / Becks / Serenity

Purchased At:   rscycle.com

Similar Products Used:   None, First AM bike.

Bike Setup:   Sachem 4.0, Marzocchi Bomber 66 VF2 170mm (white!), Fox DHX 4.0, Avid Juicy 5's. Mavic x823 Wheelset, Specialized Enduro Tires, Crank Brothers Candy Clip pedals.

Submitted by Thomas a Cross Country Rider from Monterey, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2007

Strengths:    Well balanced bike for new production. Can handle what ive thrown at it lately. First real quality bike ive owned.

Weaknesses:    None that i have run into yet

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the price.

Purchased At:   Randall Scott (online)

06 gt i drive 5 4.0 vs 09 iron horse sachem 4.0

I'm looking at getting one of these bikes. the iron horse is $560. The gt is $700. I'm just getting back into mountain biking after about 4 years off. This would be my first f/s bike. the last bike i bought was about 12 years ago it was a norco mocha hardtail. I live in south florida and will be rid ... Read More »

09 iron horse sachem 4.0 vs 06 gt i drive 5 4.0

I,m looking at buying one of these bikes. The iron horse i can get for around $560. the gt is $700. I live in south florida and will be riding mostly single track. This will be my first f/s. my last bike i bought was 12 years ago it was a norco hardtail. I've been out of riding for about 4years so i ... Read More »

Should I buy a Iron Horse Sachem 4.0 from Randal Scott

Ok I need some input from fellow riders and consumers. I'm thinking about buying a Iron Horse Sachem 4.0 off of Randal Scott Cycle website but I'm a little hesitant because of all the poor publicity on here and the fact that Iron Horse does not warranty their frames. Please any input would be grea ... Read More »

sachem 4.0 absolute cheapest price?

Where could I get a sachem for the cheapest price...online or in store? If so how much?Read More »

07 Sachem 4.0 vs Warrior 6.0 for a woman

Hey IH faithful, I was looking for a nice FS bike that my wife could grow into as her skills progress. I saw two bikes in particular at performance that caught my eye. The 07 Sachem seemed to be speced nice with 6' travel - Great price The 07 Warrior 6.0 (more xc?) but decent components - g ... Read More »