Iron Horse MKIII Team All Mountain Full Suspension

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

MKIII / TRAIL

The dw-link MKIII is one of the most rider acclaimed full suspension bikes of recent memory. Its 5 inch travel dw-link rear suspension coupled with a 6 lb frame weight make for an xc trail weapon. 2007 sees some impressive improvements for the MKIII, including a new stiffer forged chainstay yoke, an entirely new o.p.t. triple butted tubeset, clearance for a 2.35 rear tire, and our industry leading 10mm shock pivot standard. The new MKIII frame boasts a reduced frame weight of over 1lb from last year, and coupled with a slacker 69 degree head angle it is poised for epic singletrack adventures in 2007.

TECHNOLOGIES: dw-link, o.p.t., 10-mil, f7, maX-e, 6069, o-pivots

FRAME 5" TRAVEL DW-LINK TRAIL FRAME, 1-1/8" ZEROSTACK HEADTUBE, REPLACEABLE DERAILLEUR HANGER
REAR SHOCK FOX FLOAT R AIR, 7.5"X2"
FORK ROCK SHOX PIKE 454 AIR U-TURN, MAXLE THRU AXLE, 95-140MM TRAVEL

Submitted by kghag a Cross Country Rider from corvallis

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2008

Strengths:    suspension performance, price

Weaknesses:    paint

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my previous review. I came to realize that the tire rubbing issue must be due to the swingarm flexing, so I converted my rear hub to a thru axle and no more rubbing.
Apparently there is a reason why the stock wheelsets come with TAs. Now that this issue has been resolved this is the best all around mtn. bike I have ever ridden. Better get one soon since IH will not have the DW link after this year.

Favorite Trail:   ?

Purchased At:   performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   too many to list

Bike Setup:   07 MKIII frame built up with personaly selected parts

Submitted by kghag from Corvallis OR

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Strengths:    Price (on sale)
Suspension performance

Weaknesses:    Limited rim width/tire options

Bottom Line:
I only wanted a frame to build up but I saw the MKIII comp on sale at Performance and I had a 20% off coupon so I couldn’t pass it up since the whole bike was the same price or less than any of the 5” trail bike frames I could find, so this review is only for the frame&shock since I removed all the stock parts and built it with the parts I wanted (the frame and shock are the same for all levels of the MKIII).

The DW link is a truly impressive design. It climbs great, (very efficient) without needing a platform shock or lock out and it sucks up all roots, rocks and drops I can find on the way back down. This is the best climbing FS I have ever ridden. No it’s not the lightest or plushest set up out there but it climbs and descends really well and the price was right.

The firm but smooth action of the talas nicely complements the rear suspension resulting in balanced suspension feel. Also the geometry is just right for a 100-140mm travel fork. Not to twitchy in the 100mm position and not to slow in the 140mm setting.

I would defiantly recommend this frame to any trail rider. If you’re an XC racer or big hit free rider look elsewhere, but if you just like to ride all the trails you can find, this is a great machine.
I think the MSRP for the complete bike is kind of high considering the parts spec, but find a 2007 on sale and use the money you saved to get an adjustable travel air fork if it didn’t come with one.

The only issue I have with the frame is the size/shape of the chain stay. I put wheels (w/ 30mm wide rims) that I already had on the MKIII and even a 2.1 tire would rub on the chain stay. After trying out several different tires, contacting IH customer service, trying a different quick release and finally putting a different wheel (with 25mm wide rim) I have no more rub. Now I can even run a 2.3. Never had a problem with these wheels before, even when using them on a frame spec’d to run 2.1s…

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Yeti 575, KHS AM, Mountain Cycle Slix amoung many others

Bike Setup:   2007 MKIII w/ fox float R. Initially I had a Pike coil up front, but its plushness overwhelmed the rear end, so I swapped it for the talas which is a perfect match for the float on this frame.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2007

Strengths:    DW Link, Manitou Minute 3. Soft/plush ride, Minute 3 absorbs anything.

Weaknesses:    Frame a little heavy, SRAM X-Gen front derailleur, nothing else yet

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Solid ride, VERY PLUSH. DW-Link is incredible in uphill climbs. You can set 5th Element rear shock for low rebound which works great. Iron Horse sometimes gets a bad rap at the bike shops for being a big mass producer of frames, especially since they don't actually manufacture them themselves. However, it's actually hard to beat. Most frames are aluminum anyway, and the DW Link is probably hands down the best full suspension system on the market.

Favorite Trail:   Cholla Rock It - Aliso

Purchased At:   Randall Scott Cycles

Bike Setup:   Manitou Minute 3, SRAM X-0 shifters, SRAM X-0 rear derailleur, Avid Juicy Carbon hydraulic brakes, Race Face Atlas X-Type crank, DT Swiss XR 4.1D wheels, DT Swiss 340 hubs, Progressive 5th Element rear shock, Thompson elite seatpost/stem, Easton Monkeylite bar.

Submitted by mikeyboy a Weekend Warrior from Palos Verdes, CA. USA!

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2007

Strengths:    Extremely stiff and responsive. The MKIII Team model (which is what I have) comes with great components. Lightweight. Climbs like a angel and desends like a demon.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't give me a backrub while riding. But it does everything else. In other words... what weaknesses?

Bottom Line:
This is my first "high end" all mountain bike so compared to the others that I have tortured, it is a dream in every way. I weigh 200 lbs. and I can climb like nobody's business on this bike. It is extremely lightweight with rock solid components that make it an all around top notch performer in my book. I have ridden on technical single track and taken some 2-3' drops as well and it is like a plush dream. Handles tight, technical track with ease and soaks up the high speed hits no problem. The DW link in the back is a well crafted triangle that handles the bumpy stuff quite well and I cannot say enough about the components that the Team setup comes with as well. The only thing I swapped out were the pedals and put my old 737's back on. (Personal preference) I highly recommend anyone thinking about a 5.5, Blur, or HiFi to give this bike serious consideration. Then again.... we're just comparing apples to apples anyway these days. If you've been riding for awhile and are a bit more experienced, I recomend getting one.
Ride ride ride!!!

Favorite Trail:   The all-mountain kind

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   I came from a Mongoose Tech 4, so I wouldn't exactally call it "similar"..heh!

Bike Setup:   Just like their website says... Just click on '2006 bikes' and then follow the links to the MKIII Team model. The only funky thing is that mine has a Cane Creek S-3 headset instead of the listed FSA Orbit ZS Carbon??

Submitted by bigd a Cross Country Rider from modesto california

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2007

Strengths:    light frame, great traction, natural anti-bob, fast descender

Weaknesses:    chain rubs swing arm in the big ring slightly on 06 model only[I use duck tape as a proctector

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike with the intention of changing most of the components, that is why I purchased the lowest price model. Even before I changed 1 part this was the best trail bike I have ever owned and with the changes I have made this bike rules the dirt. The bike never loses grip on all cambered turns and climbs. The Manitou Minute Super 140 and fox rp 23 turned a great bike unbelieveable. The bike feels like a soft tail when pedaling then turns plush yet controlled.

Favorite Trail:   dusnt matta