Iron Horse MK III Elite All Mountain Full Suspension

• Saddle: WTB Silverado Team
  • Shifter: Shimano Deore XT

Submitted by ducatif1 a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2010

Strengths:    This bike is the 2009 elite the very last of the V8 interceptors.
Its the ducks nuts, does everything well so far, will report if anything goes wrong

Weaknesses:    Rims are pure pox,needs beefier/wider rims, that dont flex
Grips are super cheap
Should come with a ajustable seat post
The seat is rubbish
The wheels had to have all the spokes retighten after a couple of minor rides

Bottom Line:
Here in Australia they were smashen them outthe door for cheap $2500 aussie .Best bike i could lay my hands on new,for that price!!!
im really happy with it
Keep an eye on the rear suspension piviot points and keep them torqued up tight

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   stock new grips, seat,ajustable seat clamp

Submitted by Pasroh a Weekend Warrior from Winmalee

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2010

Strengths:    Light, Strong, Pedals well and holds traction constabtly on the rear with the dw link

Weaknesses:    none, easy maintanance and great riding

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike and somewhat unique aswell

Bike Setup:   revelation team, monarch 4.2, x9, truvativ, hope pro 2 wheels

Submitted by silisonic2 a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, Washington

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2009

Strengths:    Pretty light for Full Suspension, nice components, climbs great, especially with the fork locked out. Great transition from a hardtail to full susp.

Weaknesses:    Ummm ... none yet, only have about 300 miles on it.

Bottom Line:
This is my first full suspension bike - I LOVE IT!!! The DW link works amazingly - lock out the fork and this thing climbs better than my hardtail. It is fast on the downhills, you hardly ever have to pedal. I got a great deal online, but I don't think I would pay the full $3700 MSRP. I would definitely recommend this bike to anyone looking for an All Mountain or Cross Country bike, and will probably buy the Sport model for my son very soon!!!

Purchased At:   RSCycle

Similar Products Used:   Never used a FS bike before, but a couple full XTR hardtails.

Bike Setup:   All stock - XT deraillers/shifters/brakes, DT rims and hubs, Revelation forks and Monarch shock

Submitted by jboyd2028 a Weekend Warrior from Clovis, California, USA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2009

Strengths:    Very light. Rides almost like a hardtail going uphill, but the dw-link works great when you need it.

Weaknesses:    Rims are a little too lightweight for an all-mountain. No quick release seat post clamp

Bottom Line:
I took a lot of time researching for my new bike. I had an Ironhorse Warrior that I hated, so I was a little uneasy about getting another Ironhorse. I checked out the reviews on all the components on this bike and they were all great. You can't find a bike with this great of components for the price. The dw link is amazing. I love the front fork. I can see why the revelation has such great reviews. I would recommend this bike to anyone that doesn't want to spend over 2,000. My only beef is the rims. I think they should be tougher. Overall the bike really does the work for you and it handles great on single track.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hensley

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   rscycle.com

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Revelation Fork, monarch rear shock, Shimano XT equipped.

Submitted by Chris Otzenberger a Weekend Warrior from Fort Collins, CO, US

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2009

Strengths:    Great price. Good climber.It rode very well the first couple of rides.

Weaknesses:    Play in the bottom pivot near the chainstay (I took it to RS to get it fixed, but it only lasted about two rides). DT Swiss wheels that dent very easily. Ticking noise coming from that frame that sounds like a possible crack. Rear wheel makes loud crunching noise that seems to be the spokes rubbing together (weird).

Bottom Line:
I'm happy that I got such a great deal on this bike, but I am starting to see why I did. I was impressed at how well my Hollowpoint held up. I was hoping to get another durable bike, but that was not the case. I weigh 145 pounds, and I don't do big drops, so there is no reason why this bike should not hold up to the riding I do. I know IH has gone out of business, and I see why.

Favorite Trail:   Holy Cross

Purchased At:   rscycle

Similar Products Used:   Ironhorse Hollowpoint Expert.

Bike Setup:   Fox Talas RLC fork. Shimano XT components throughout. DT Swiss Wheels and hubs. Maxxis 2.35 tires front and back.

Submitted by epicjurneez a Weekend Warrior from sjcapistranoCA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2009

Strengths:    cheap

Weaknesses:    cheaply made and now obsolete in a way.

Bottom Line:
i haven't put many miles on the frame but ther rear end flexes like nuts...unacceptable.

took my wheelset from my specialized enduro onto mkiii. didn't have these flex issues on the enduro. rscycle says it's the wheel. Thinking about dumping a ton of money into a rear wheel with a 10mm thruaxle like hope pro 2... I might just sell it!

super frustrating!

Favorite Trail:   sjHills

Purchased At:   rscycles.com

Similar Products Used:   ellworth truth, spec enduro 130...

Bike Setup:   xt, '03 Z1freeride fork with wtb/xm 317 wheels

Submitted by Bill Patterson a Cross Country Rider from Walpole NH

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Strengths:    Amazing climber, as good as any hardtail I've ridden. I weigh 220lbs. and it handles descents with confidence. The shock system is smooth once dialed in, the overall ride is easy, not to tight or too long, and it does exactly what it should going up or down. Sweet bike all around.

Weaknesses:    Needed some tweaking breaking in. Needed a bolt replaced, worn a bit only after a month of riding, had some chain skip for a while until I dialed in the shock pressure. Haven't tried a larger diameter tire on back as I have read that you cannot go past 2.1 without some tire rub...TA may be the cure as others have mentioned on the Team bike. For the money, it's worth considering.

Bottom Line:
I bought this online without riding one...chancey but ended up worth it. For the money, it's a nice deal,,,IH is going out of business but someone will likely pick them up, good rep, good products, no reason to think they won't resurface. GREAT BIKE

Favorite Trail:   Pinnacle Trail System

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Randall Scott

Bike Setup:   XT throughout, RockShox Revelation fork and Monarch shock in back. DT Rims...