Iron Horse 6Point6 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.57/5 (7 Reviews)

• FRAME 6" TRAVEL dw-link ALL-MOUNTAIN FRAME, 1.5 HEADTUBE, 150MM X 12MM THRU AXLE HUB, 83MM BB SHELL, REPLACEABLE DERAILLEUR HANGER
  • REAR SHOCK FOX DHX AIR 5.0, 8.75"X2.5"
  • FORK ROCK SHOX LYRIK SOLO AIR, 160MM TRAVEL
  • BRAKES AVID JUICY 7 W/ 185MM ROTORS
  • BRAKE LEVER AVID JUICY 7
  • RIM DT/SWISS E540, 32H
  • SPOKE DT/SWISS COMPETITION 2.0/1.8/2.0 BLACK
  • TIRES MAXXIS MINION F DH 60A COMPOUND, SINGLE PLY CASING, 2.5" FRONT/2.35" REAR
  • SIZE 15", 17", 19"
  • COLORS URBAN GREEN SATIN
  • WEIGHT 36.3LBS/16.5KG

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by The Saint a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2012

Strengths:    DW Link! Fun & balanced frame geometry.

Weaknesses:    I never hard an issue with them, but it would seem that the hubs are a bit on the cheap side.

Bottom Line:
    Great all around bike! Though slightly heavy, the bike still feels playful. With the DW Link you can easily pedal up whatever it is that you want to get to bomb back down! My friends and I have been riding the 6point6 for several seasons now, and they only seem to get better! For the record, I weigh in at 205lbs WITHOUT gear, and I have used this bike for everything. If you are looking for strictly XC or DH, then search elsewhere, but if you want a capable AM bike, the 6point6 is a great choice!

Favorite Trail:   National

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh Ram 3500XT

Bike Setup:   6point6 w/ Marzocchi 55/Roco (8.75"), Saint 8" F/R brakes, Deity stem/bar, RaceFace crank/BB/bash, Straightline pedals.

Submitted by Jeff a Downhiller from Bend, OR. USA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2009

Strengths:    Awsome pedaling platform, great spec, dialed geometry, easy to get used to, will bail you out of poor line/drop choices.

Weaknesses:    HUBS! The hubs are not at a spec level comporable to the remainder of the bike. The seat is actually painful. You will never be able to hide it's weight! Poor paint quality-scrapes and scratches easily.

Bottom Line:
    Super good choice if your primary goal is to pedal uphill so that you can bomb down. Poor choice for epic long rides, though I have ridden it for 50+ mile rides and only had a sore back-side to whine about. I have ridden this bike down the Porcupine ridge in Utah and the bike was a perfect match for the trail. Thus far I have ridden it in snow, sand, wind, rain, mud, hard-pack, soft-pack single-track- double-track, uphill and down. It is without a doubt my favorite bike ever. I'll be purchasing a MK III when I can afford annother bike (I 'kinda wish that I had purchased the MK III as opposed to the 6 POINT 6 because of the weight...) The DW link is bomber for pedaling efficiency- even for a 210 pound dude. I would recommend this bike to anyone who is heavy or is just plain hard on their bikes. I have broken a few C-dale frames in the past, so when I say that this bike is super stout and built for abouse you can bet I mean it :-) I would definitely recommend it to a friend. It has been great in Moab, Oakridge, Bend, Olympia, Scapoose and the other places I have ridden. Nice work I.H!

Favorite Trail:   Not telling...

Purchased At:   RS

Similar Products Used:   S.C. Nomad

Bike Setup:   Stock with Oury lock-ons and a cycling computer.

Submitted by jrsahagun a Weekend Warrior from West Jordan, Utah

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2009

Strengths:    Built to plow over stumps and rocks. great pedaling platform. Inexpensive for quality of bike.

Weaknesses:    Product name.

Bottom Line:
    Great bike. It pedals great; if it had the Two-step Lyrik up fron it would be trul all-mountain. The front begins to wonder on steeper trails, but it still climbs if you stay in the seat and lean forward. Others have mentioned play in the front hub-only if you do not tighten the 20mil quick release properly. two finger tighten the cap side and then turn the arm side two full times to eliminate play in hub. Did I mention how stiff the rear end is compared to any other all-mount or XC rig. this bike flys down hill.

Favorite Trail:   Utah Mountains

Purchased At:   Craigs list

Similar Products Used:   KHS FR-1500, Marin hardtail, giant trance, Marin quad-link, and others

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by calboyincal a Weekend Warrior from Sebastopol, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2009

Strengths:    Inexpensive
    Very solidly built
    Rolls over everything
    Very Adjustable
    Looks the part

Weaknesses:    Play in the front hub
    Strange cable routing
    Linkage/bottom bracket design holds water and is hard to clean

Bottom Line:
    I didn't know what people meant when they were talking about brake jack and pedaling with no suspension activation. On my last bike, a 5" travel with full lockout front and back, I felt like every bump I hit slowed me down... Now I don't even notice rocks when pedaling uphill. I went for a ride with my GF on her road bike and she could barely keep up. This bike feels so solid compared to anything I've ridden, most similarly a Nomad. I don't think it gives anything up to that bike, other than the fact that one could buy two 6Point6 for the price of 1 Nomad. The only reason it only gets 4 chili's overall is because of the strange cable routing and lack of setup manuals... I also bought the 19" frame although I am 5 11. It feels like a good fit, and I wouldn't want it any smaller. I would recommend this bike if you can put the brand issues aside... Or just put some duct tape over the name and have more fun than anybody on the trail! You can tell them whatever you want when they ask what kind of bike it is, and they will believe you because it is awesome!

One other thing, my friend bought an Iron Horse Full Sus. and I was making fun of him... Then I saw the 6Point series and couldn't resist. Now he laughs at me but I have swallowed my pride because these bikes shouldn't even be under the same brand name. Like a Lexus compared to a Scion...

Purchased At:   RSCYCLE.com

Similar Products Used:   Nomad, Weyless XP pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer, Bullit, V10, Blur LT, Heckler

Bike Setup:   As listed above

Submitted by byungoo a Weekend Warrior from vancouver, bc

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2008

Strengths:    dw link works great. Frame is excellent for north shore riding - pedalling up and bombing down.

Weaknesses:    hubs! after about 5 rides I was getting some funny sounds from the rear hub so I opener 'er up to find that it was bone dry...no grease at all! not what I expected from a bike in this price range. front hub had a bit if lateral play from day 1. Cable routing could become an issue as it looks like the routing will cause premature wear on the cable housing as the rear suspension moves up and down.

Bottom Line:
    After 6 months of riding the shore, SFU, woodlot I must say that it is a very capable bike. It is a bit heavy compared to the mkIII but it is beefier. The only notable deficiency are the cheap hubs as mentioned above. Also notable is that I tried calling IH for help with the hubs and they never responded. The warranty help in Canada SUCKS for IH bikes I must say. This Bike is good for aggressive all mountain/light freeriding.

One last note about the sizing...it is a bit confusing, but at 5'10" and 32" inseam - I got a medium. It feels a tad short when climbing, but perfect for decending shore type trails.

Favorite Trail:   cbc

Purchased At:   rs bikes

Similar Products Used:   mkIII - regret selling her, norco six - never could get this one set up the way I like it

Bike Setup:   fox 36 talus, SUN ADD wheelset, rest is stock

Submitted by gunnirider a Downhiller from Gunnison, CO

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2008

Strengths:    This bike pedals so well that I feel that it will make me a better rider. The 150mm rear wheel spacing, 12mm axle makes the rear triangle super stiff. This translates to precise cornering. The DW link works so good! It's really amazing to feel virtually no pedal feedback!

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    After riding Konas for 8+ years, The DW link inspired 6point6 makes me feel like I was peddling dog crap around for so long, but didn't know the difference. Konas are junk. It's too bad that IR will loose their DW-link license next year. Get one before it's too late. I'm sold and will never ride a Kona again.

Favorite Trail:   Hartman Rocks

Similar Products Used:   Kona Coilair Supreme, Kona Stinky Primo, Kona Stinky dee-lux

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Shaun Kirton a Racer from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2008

Strengths:    The dw link is just great, simple and works mint on this frame. hardley any flex thanks to the 83mm shell an 150mm thru axle, bike feels tight and responsive when dh'ing. Good geometry gives confidence when descending double black trails. handels well in the air and rough terrain.The Fox DHX 5.0 shock works well in this linkage, frame rides like it has more travel than 6.3' , with the propedal switched on or off it climbs like a mountain goat.
    Far better colour than the 6.4!!!

Weaknesses:    Slightly pricey for spec,
    Rear gear cable routing round the dw link can make it abit
    annoying to change cables on,
    Hubs it comes with are cheap and heavy,

Bottom Line:
    If you are trying to cut down on $$ from owning a dh and/or a xc specific bikes or you don't want a fully fledged dh machine cos you wanna ride for 3 hours and not spend most of it sitting in your shuttle wagon, then this is the bike for you. Also if your xc bike isn't holding upto the punishment from descending and you wanna start trying those jumps on the trail that you always ride past because u are to scared on your current machine that your headtube might come a drift, or swing arm bends around the corner with you, this is the bike for you!
    All in all this is a bike that rides like a Sunday downhill but can be easily pedaled uphill. Great do it all. Very happy with purchase.

Favorite Trail:   Whistler Bikepark