Intense 6.6 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.5/5 (48 Reviews)

-Construction \\ 6061 Aluminum CNC machined by “Intense Cycles” construction, Proprietary Easton Bi Oval tubes designed for Intense Cycles, Custom Monocoque top tube construction.
-Shock \\ Fox Shox DHX 5.0 Air
-Recommended fork length \\ 145mm to 170mm
-Other \\ Custom Max Type sealed bearings, Disc brake only, Replaceable derailleur hanger
-Optional shocks \\ TBD
-Weight \\ 7.25 to 7.4lbs
-Rider \\ This rider wants an “all mountain enduro bike, go anywhere, ride anything machine,” a Freeride bike without the weight penalty. Not a hucker jumper to flat landing bike.

Submitted by Joseph Renois a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2012

Strengths:    soaks up the big drops pretty good...swing arm wallows a bit...great beeter bike..

Weaknesses:    swing arm move side by side a little much

Bottom Line:
great bike 4 the buck!!

Submitted by Tony

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    flys over the bumps

Weaknesses:    going uphill, to soggy

Bottom Line:
so this is my first real full suspension bike I've been on a hardtail since around 84 when I got into Mountain biking. Perhaps someone who is new or more used to suspension might be able to climb on one of these but the bobbing while pedaling uphill is just brutal to me. With that said sure was fun ripping down hills on this thing, I might have had more luck sending the shock to PUSH cause I'm a big guy but I'm going with a MACH 429 next. Happy Trails!

Submitted by RXV_POOR a Weekend Warrior from Jackson, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2010

Strengths:    Climbs well for what it is, descends well, 1.500" head tube, relatively light, big pivots, passing my cross country riders going down the hill, cool factor

Weaknesses:    Pivot maintenance, can only fit a 2.35" rear tire, having to hear "You really rode that up here?" time after time from cross country riders

Bottom Line:
First off I'm 42, weigh 222lbs and this is my first year back to MTB riding after a 5 year hiatus after 10 years of riding. I'm not a hammerhead nor am I a hucker but I'm not the last up the hill or the last down it.

I bought the bike because of the value I felt I was getting when I was purchasing it. As it sits (With tool bag, spare tube, levers & patches because that's how I ride it.) it weighs 36.9 lbs.

I've owned linkage bikes and single pivot bikes but the VVP is different. The VVP feels more active under hard braking. It took a little getting used to and shock/fork setup is crucial to get the best out of the bike. Change the fork = change the shock but not the other way around (All the time).

I've not bottomed the rear of the bike after I got the setup close. Compared to my dirt jumping Kona 5.0 it turns like a bus.

I am working on fitting a FOX DHX 5.0 for Downieville/resort trips because I am compelled to F with everything.

I thought the rear end was terrible until I got the shock setup close and checked the pivot torque. That made a huge difference but it is a pain in the @$$ and time consuming.

I'll be honest when I bought the bike I thought I made the wrong purchase. Now 1 year later I'm very happy but this will not be my only bike for years to come. To me this is not a "do everything" bike but it's closer than you would think.

This will be my Downieville/resort bike and I'll be building another for long trips. If want a gravity friendly bike you can get a 6.6 for a decent price and you like to fiddle with things get one or any 6.500" travel VVP bike.

Favorite Trail:   Butcher

Purchased At:   North of the Border

Similar Products Used:   First 5+ inch travel bike I've owned.

Bike Setup:   Fox DHX Air shock, Totem coil 1.500" fork, Answer DH carbon bars, Oury lock on grips, SRAM 990 11-34 cassette, X.O shifter & rear dérailleur, XTR front dérailleur, Race Face Atlus cranks, Cane Creek Double XX headset, Truvative 50mm 10 degree stem, Joplin 3" drop seat post, Shimano XT centerlock wheels 20mm front standard rear, Intense dual compound tires 2.500" front 2.350" rear, XT brakes *' rotor up front 7" rotor in back, WTB saddle

Submitted by Raya7 a Cross Country Rider from PHX, AZ

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2010

Strengths:    Handles very well in tight none burmed turns and climbs and desends very comfortably when suspension setup air pressures are right and when properly adjusted for your weight and riding style. Very light for a 6.75 inch travel bike.

Weaknesses:    Severe rear triangle flex! Noticed that the rear brake rotor rubbed slightly when peddling hard on steep up hills, and the rear end frequently feels like your riding on a low tire when pitching different directions. It's really that bad! The flex is readily observable when using lateral hand pressure against the top of the rear wheel. Paint is unbelievably cheap! Cable routing design could have been thought out better, but works fine once you get it figured out. The trick is do not harness the rear shift cable between the frame and triangle, but let it move where it will otherwise the rear derailure will shift every time the rear suspension is compressed. Protect the frame well where the cables rubs.

Bottom Line:
Overall ride handling is very good and I personally love the geometry! The Fox suspension combination, once properly setup, makes all the difference in the world. This or any other bike, regardless of how well the frame is made, performs incredibly well with the right suspension and when it is carefully dialed in. Do your home work first and understand how the suspension functions, otherwise you'll make the mistake of ignorance and think your sitting on crap! The good ride comes afterwords and it can be very sweet.

The 6.6 handles acceptionally well off large drops and very rough steep down hills and cornering is awesome, owing largely I feel, to the dialed-in suspension combination. If your not the fasted guy down the hill, the problem is not the bike! I've heard several guys complaining about the high center crank position, but think about it, if you have a long travel bike your going to need the clearance to compensate for the travel when the suspension compresses! I have actually found the lack of peddle clearance to be an initial problem that one must simply adjust to when fully compressing both front and back shocks. The amount of suspension travel verses clearance is not a bad trade-off.

The "product weaknesses" I previously outlined are more distracting than they are operational problems, but very surprising coming from Intense. The rear triangle flex is huge! I am running a 9mm through-axcel that did not reduce the problem, at all. However, inspite of the flex the bike still rides really well, which is saying alot coming from an aggressive down hill rider. It's something you simply get used to and doesn't appear to hurt anything other than perhaps premature pivot bearing wear.

The "bottom line" is that the 6.6 is a good, not great frame due largely to the flex and cheap paint, which there is abolutely no good reason for given the high purchase price. I personnally would not pay anywhere near full retail for this frame, as its not worth it! Significantly discounted or slightly used...definately!

It completely amazes me that given Intense' long reputation for extrordinary craftmanship and quality, that they would released this product given the flimsiness of the rear triangle and its cheap paint job! It could have been a perfect frame had these two points been addressed. This is the second Intense I have owned and I, like many others, don't mind spending more for perfection. My first was perfect, albeit a little heavier! If your going to market your product as "made in the USA" as a sales point and charge top dollar for it, then it jolly well better be the best...period, and without ANY stupid design flaws!

Did I say I absolutely love riding this bike?

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Trail, OC, CA

Similar Products Used:   Intense Uzzi SLX with similar build.

Bike Setup:   Fox Float 36 RP2, Fox 5.0 DHX Air, Azonic DH wheel set, bike weight is 32 lbs.

Submitted by Aszman a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento Ca,

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2009

Strengths:    Fantastic all around ride. Great for all day epic XC rides or the chairlift. For XC it climbs like well with no bob, you can ride this bike all day with little complaint. For chairlift days it will fly down just about any drop, jump, or whatever you can throw at it and wont let you down. Can be built up semi light for an all mountain bike. Mine weighs in at around 33 lbs with my set up, I could probably drop another 3 lbs off if I wanted to. MADE IN THE USA

Weaknesses:    Flexi rear end, like a low rear tire kind of flexi. On big gaps, jumps etc rear tire will sometimes bottom out onto the frame though it doesn't really affect anything. Cable routing could of been thought out a little more. Expensive.

Bottom Line:
This bike is hands down the best bike I've ever owned to date. Admitingly I kind of expected a little bit more from it given the cost and from all the reviews I read however I would have a hard time not recommending this bike to anyone. My biggest issue with this bike is the flexi rear end however strangely enough you seem to incorporate that into your riding style. I would probably recommend buying used as to not pay full price.
Bottom line is if your waiting for a deal on this bike and find it, buy it, you wont be disapointed.

Favorite Trail:   Boondocks

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Redstone Cyclery, Co

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpy, Giant AC1, Giant Glory

Bike Setup:   Fox 36 Talus, Fox RP23, Sram X-9 components, I-9's

Submitted by raptor666 a Cross Country Rider from Kiriat Bialik

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2008

Strengths:    Climbs very well for a 170mm rear travel and it goes down even better. light weight, less than 15kg. great cable routing. VPP system works awsome, i bearly use the propedal on my rear shock.

Weaknesses:    expensive but worth every penny.

Bottom Line:
Each and every ride i finish i want to get down of my bike and kiss them. Its an unbeliveble bike, you can do with it anything you want. From steep climbs to adrenaline pumping downhills, anything you wish this bike can do. This is the best "do it all" bike.

Favorite Trail:   Manara Cliff

Purchased At:   The Single Track

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Prophet, Yeti 5.75

Bike Setup:   Fox Float RC2 2009 1.5" stearer, Fox DHX5 Air, Mavic 819 on Hadley, Magura Marta Gold, XTR crank, rd - XT Shadow.

Submitted by KRob a Cross Country Rider from Ely, NV

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2008

Strengths:    Light, Great climber, bob-free, plush, active suspension on rough downs, takes abuse without complaint.

Weaknesses:    Rear triangle is a bit flexy, pedal kickback is annoying in granny ring and affects loose, rocky climbs. Customer service was slow in responding to a warranty issue.

Bottom Line:
This is a great all-around bike. It can be built up light around 30 lbs pretty easily and be a very capable long-legged trail bike or built up burly under 35 lbs and take on some pretty gnarly AM and FR duty. I think the 67.5-68 degree HA is just right for this type of bike. The VPP rear suspension works really well for limiting bob while pedaling yet still feel deep, plush and active on fast rock, choppy downs. It locks out a bit on steep, rocky, steppy tech climbs and works better climbing in middle ring than granny due to the pedal kick back.

The rear end flex is there when you grab the rear wheel and push/pull it side to side, but I rarely ever noticed it while riding. A 10 mm through bolt rear hub helped a solve this.

I highly recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   Burro Down

Purchased At:   Hammerhead Bikes, Au

Similar Products Used:   Turner RFX, Titus El Guapo,Knolly Delirium T

Bike Setup:   Large Hot Rod Orange, Roco TST coil, Van 36RC2, Protaper OS bars, X9 triggers and RD, XT FD, RF Deus cranks, WTB Pure V saddle, Louise FR brakes 185/160, Magura FR wheels

Submitted by okroeger a Downhiller from norcal

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2008

Strengths:    I love this bike. It climbs well, descends great, looks awesome. It is a jack of all trades master of none. I've taken it on 40 mile epics, and recently put coils on it and boosted 15 ft gaps, 8 foot drops and big hips.

Weaknesses:    It's flexy. Expensive as hell

Bottom Line:
awesome do it all bike. Nomad may be stiffer in the rear. would work best in my opinion with a vanilla 36 shortened to 150 or 140 mm.

Favorite Trail:   dirty harry

Bike Setup:   2 setups.
both have xt cranks, x.o der, grip shift, sette carbon bar, gravity dropper, wtb laser, odi ruffians.
Stans ZTR Flow with hope hubs
light = Tals 36 rcs, dhx air time atacs=31 lbs
heavy= crank bros 50/50 pedals. zocchi 66, dhx coil. = 35 lbs

Submitted by Marco a Downhiller from Munich, Germany

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2008

Strengths:    low bb, handling, suspension performance

Weaknesses:    tire clearance (with 135mm dropouts), rear end not very stiff, stickers quality is realy poor

Bottom Line:
Nice bike, this is my one-for-all bike for the trails in the alps where you find beautiful trails and drops but need to pedal uphill! Total weight is ~15kg so not too heavy to climb but definitely strong enough to try every drop you find! Rear end is not very stiff, you feel it twistin a little when riding hard but overall downhill performance is amazing! As the price is not really cheap the quality of the stickers is a crap but this is Intense (btw this is my third Intense, so I love the way their bikes ride). Bottom line: If you search for a heavy duty trail bike the SS is an amazing choice, if you search for a pure slopestyle bike I would go for a bike with a more simple rear end like the Bullit which can be build more lightweight compared to the SS.

Favorite Trail:   Finale Ligure

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   rbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Switch, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC, Santa Cruz Nomad, SC Bullit

Bike Setup:   Cane Creek DB w Ti spring, RS Lyrik 2step air, Formula The One, CK headset and hubs, DT 5.1 rims, XO rear and shifter, XTR crankset and front derailleur, crank brothers JoplinR

Submitted by Jamus a Downhiller from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2008

Strengths:    Pedal efficiency, efficient travel, good looks, relatively light weight for almost 7" of travel. It didn't squat even when I hammered on the pedal, and felt very plush through rock gardens and landing some moderate airs (<6 feet to slight tranny).

Weaknesses:    I was having some issues with the drive train - very typical of a ragged-out demo bike though.

Bottom Line:
I smoked LPS to Porcupine Rim on this rig last weekend - pedaled right up over and through nasty terrain, took some buttery 5 footers, and blew the doors off the guys I was riding with on the uphills and downhills. I think the shifting/chain suck issues I experienced on tech climbs under power in the middle ring (i.e. riding up 1 foot rock ledges) were due to poor maintenance of a hard ridden bike. I'd like to ride a shiny new one to find out. Pike 426 was alright but I'd prefer a Van36 any day.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, Downieville Classic

Purchased At:   Demo'ed from Golden Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Moment, SC Bullit

Bike Setup:   Pike 426, Sram, avid juicy, 2.5 continentals

Submitted by Ed a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2008

Strengths:    Nice, handcrafted bike, made in CA. 6" trail bike with steeper angles and a high BB is perfect for aggressive XC-super D. Suspension pedals quietly. Have yet to see another one on the trail.

Weaknesses:    I guess the steep head angle can make the steering a little squirlly through fast, rough sections.

Bottom Line:
Great all around bike that lets me push my limits and gives me alot of room for error.

Favorite Trail:   mountian lion

Purchased At:   Collins Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Tried the Blur Lt, Nomad, and 5.5

Bike Setup:   XT, new 08 Talus 36RC, Formula K24 200/180mm, speedball r

Submitted by Jerry a Weekend Warrior from Spring, Texas

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2008

Strengths:    6.6 is truly an all mountain bike
this bike is definately and should be made to handle just about any thing you throw its way, downhill and technical trails are a plus,if you buy this bike you better have some money. i certaily didnt but i wanted to splurge on a real good ridding bike and if you ride trail alot or cross country without andy technicallity to it, i suggest not geting this bike..if you buy it you need to use it for whats its worth and thats going over root and rocks and going down roots and rocks and solid terrain with nice drops thats enough to scare you but not stop you because you know this bike can do it

Weaknesses:    weight other than that it has made me a bit stronger when i ride

Bottom Line:
i would recomend this bike to anyone especially the Raw finnish..this bike simply kicks you know what. when you get on it
i get lots of looks on this bike,
probably where im at
there is alot of specialized and treks, we just dont have enough hills here in texas or at least on my side of town

Purchased At:   rbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   i looked at the SantaCruz Nomad but did not get to ride it

Bike Setup:   rp23 rear and 36 vanila rc2 kenda small block 8 2.35
i like to ride it kind of stiff because it has enough inches on the cush

Submitted by Andrew a Racer from Austin, Texas, US

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2007

Strengths:    Suspension action is fantastic, climbs great for a 33lb bike, and feels great on ruff tight terrain. oh, and looks so good.

Weaknesses:    The cockpit is a little tight. I’m 6ft2in and the largest they make is a large. The cable routing around the linkage is silly, and the swingarm is flexy as all get out.

Bottom Line:
This is a super fun bike to ride. Like the guy below me said, its good at everything but not great at any one thing. I don’t mind the steep headtube angle as I mainly ride tight gnarly singletrack. Feels great bombing the downhills, and isn’t too bad on the climbs. The pedaling efficiency of this bike is fantastic. You do get a little suspensions feedback in the small ring but its no big deal. The suspension is fully active but without any noticeable bobbing. I’m happy with the bike and cant think of another bike I’d rather have for this application. The flex in the back end is ridiculous. My XC bike doesn’t have this much flex. Unless your taking 30mph turns around the bend you wont notice it enough to piss you off. I’d recommend it to anyone who isn’t in a hurry to get to the top of the hill but wants to smoke your buddies on the way down.

Favorite Trail:   Emma Long

Purchased At:   mtbr.com

Similar Products Used:   Kona stab primo, specialized epic, sinister DNA, spooky metalhead, rigid singlespeed, Santa Cruz superlight

Bike Setup:   New XT all around, Juicy 7s, Marzocchi All Mountain 1SL, Maverick speedball R, Manitou evolver 4

Submitted by Gravityfreak from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2007

Strengths:    Pedals very well when set up right (LOTS of trial and error), very good suspension action. Handles wide variety of terrain very very well and looks great. You really CAN ride this bike up a very steep and technical DH trail and rip it on the way down. It does up and down VERY well. Strength to weight ratio is very good.

Weaknesses:    Pivot bearings had to be replaced after six months (normal use - no pressure washing)which is not good enough. This is in part due to lower pivot bearing being inboard the frame and therefore close together. This means they are subjected to very high (damaging) latteral loads. Santa Crus has them outboard and therefore further apart which is far better.
Cable routing is poorly thought out.
Rear swingarm not perfectly aligned with main frame (quality controll not good enough - this is an INTENSE!!)
Read shock came low on damper oil and performed terribly at first due to cavitation and was impossible to set up right. Only after a year when I had it serviced did i realise how bad it really was compared to how it should be. (The pro-pedal didn't work at all)
BB somewhat too high (though if it were lower you'd hit cranks too much so can't be helped).
Head angle slightly too steep (.5 or 1 degree slacker would be better)Very flexy rear end. High BB and steep head angle mean not the best cornering bike unless corner is bermed or very grippy dirt.

Bottom Line:
Jack of all trades master of none.
Combination of high BB and steep head angle means bike climbs very well but is a little twitch on gnarly descents. Still, suspension action is very good. If you ride HARD (i.e. used to be a downhiller but now mostly trail ride, rip the odd DH etc - this a brilliant do it all (read compromise) bike. You will win no races but you will have a LOT of fun riding it which is the only reason to buy this bike because like I said - you wont win races on it.
However, for an Intense - there are too many flaws (isn't this the Ferarri of MTB's that we all dream of owning?). Flexy rear and bearing failing is unacceptable on a bike that costs this much. The cable routing is just poorly considered and the quality controll process that let my bike ship with a faulty rear shock is not good enough.
That being said - none of these things have spoilt my overall enjoyment and love of this bike - though I was very annoyed by them. Over all I would not swap it for anything currently available. This bike cannot be brilliant at one thing BECAUSE it is very very good at everything ...and that's the bottom line.
Low chili rating due to issues above which are due to poor quality control rather than design.

Favorite Trail:   Hardcore trails, DH (for fun not racing) and light FR