Intense 5.5 FRO All Mountain Full Suspension

• Fork Length: 100mm to 140mm
  • Travel: 5.5"

Submitted by slomike a Cross Country Rider from san luis obispo,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2010

Strengths:    super light climbs every thing and desends like your a dream .i can ride this bike all day and night and i did last year in tucsons 24 hr race good times

Weaknesses:    they stop making this bike the year i got one why?

Bottom Line:
get one ride it love it

Favorite Trail:   shooters,MDO

Purchased At:   cbo

Bike Setup:   mavic st ust wheels,thomson post&stem,noir bars&cranks,sram drivetrain,avid carbon brakes,record carbon headset,fox 32 float fork,rp23 rear..27lbs

Submitted by Hoopes a Cross Country Rider from Tempe, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2009

Strengths:    VPP, Fox Suspension, great color, very efficent

Weaknesses:    Bright red color makes me too careful for scratches when considering my next fall.

Bottom Line:
I broke my frame on my Gary Fisher Hifi one too many times and found this frame at my LBS. It has been a dream to ride. I love Gary Fisher but I feel like I've moved from a Camry to a nice Lexus.

On my first ride, I kept thinking the rear shock was fully engaged because the ride was so soft and I wanted to ensure efficiency. Well, to my surprise, the shock hardly moved and it was the VPP in action making the ride so smooth. My riding buddies commented that they hadn't seen me ride so well in a long time.

The bike can take drops but still ride very efficiently and comfortably. If you can pay out a little more money for this bike, you'll definitely love it. Don't do it if you are an occassional rider who will only see it as an expensive wall mount. Bottom line, I love it!

Favorite Trail:   Mormon/National, Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   Slippery Pig Bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro, Gary Fisher Hifi Deluxe, Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   XT Front and Rear Deraileur, Juicy 5 brakes, Fox 32 Fork,

Submitted by BP a Weekend Warrior from Fairfax, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2009

Strengths:    Speed, flow, strength, beautiful, rare

Weaknesses:    Cost ?

Bottom Line:
Easy transition from many years on a hardtail. After more than a year, still cherry. 26 lbs for 5 + inches of cush speed. May not be "the best" cuz there are lots of amazing rides out there - but it's one of them.

Favorite Trail:   Marin singletrack

Purchased At:   Fairfax Cycles (grea

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager steel and ti hardtails, Racer X, Blur, Flux

Bike Setup:   Black. Fox shocks, XTR drivetrain, Formula Oro disc, Mavic SL UST wheels, Record carbon headset, Easton SL bar, Thomson Elite setback,

Submitted by Tim Spencer a Racer from Nashville, TN USA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2007

Strengths:    SUPER lightweight, beautiful paint, welding, finish and decals. This bike climbs and pedals like a dream. PERFECT. Ingtegrated headset is brilliant and makes for an easy install. (It just drops in) VPP makes you feel like you are just in a state of plushness. You have to ride an Intense to know what I'm talking about. Great power transfer to the wheels. You pedal and this things moves.

Weaknesses:    Nothing wrong with the frame, but the Fox RP23 is a bit annoying. I can never remember which setting is Pro-Pedal and when I move the lever I can't tell any difference. After riding a few months I'm noticing some creaking either from the pivots or cranks which drives me insane.

Bottom Line:
If you are going to get a bike like this, order the parts kit from Intense. It comes with the Intense saddle, grips and tires and all the dream parts. (XTR wheels are killer!) It is about $5200 to $5500 but you will love the bike and be the envy of all your friends. I'm not just drinking Intense kool-aid, if there were weaknesses, I'd let you know. This bike is close to perfect. A large frame at 26 lbs with pedals and almost 6 inches of travel? Yeah, that's something special.

Who should buy? Anyone with a good job who wants to make their friends jealous and wants a bike capable of racing XC but doesn't want to kill their lower back.

Who should not buy? Anyone who wants to huck. To get the weight savings, no head tube gusseting was used. It's has travel I can't see this bike taking lots of drops. Compare this to the 5.5 EVP and you'll see what I mean. Compare the two at www.intensecycles.com

Favorite Trail:   Hamilton Creek

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Sun and Ski Opry Mills Nashville, TN

Similar Products Used:   Intense Uzzi-SLX, Intense 5.5 EVP, Rocky Mountain Element

Bike Setup:   If you go to the Intense webiste, this is basically the bike but in Stealth Black. I did ditch the XTR rear d-railer and the shifters for SRAM X0, but other than that, all XTR. There was no fork available from Manitou like the one pictured on Intense's webiste, so I got the Fox 32 Talas 140 2008 fork on there and love it.

Submitted by Jacob Yetimann a Downhiller from Louisville, KY

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2007

Strengths:    VPP, superior welding and alignment, attention to detail. Problems with retracting suspension bolting has been corrected with the use of C-clips. All Intense frames now have integrated headsets which have proven relatively trouble free.

Weaknesses:    Someday will they anodize these frames instead of the paint and stickers?

Bottom Line:
Great handling which translates to greater confidence. VPP on this frame climbs the hills like a XC hardtail and adsorbs the abuse on the downside. You should avoid this frame if you are a Clydesdale, afterall, it is a FRO.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Duffield

Purchased At:   Cycler's Cafe

Similar Products Used:   Intense Spider XVP & Uzzi SL. This my 3rd Intense.

Bike Setup:   Manitou Super 140mm, Fox RP-23, Mavic 819s laced to C. King's with Revolution DT spokes, Avid BB7 brakes, Thomson Masterpiece saddle, Salsa SUL stem w/ EA-70 bar. 8-speed w/ Cook Bros. cranks on an Action Tec Ti spindle. Weighs 26 lbs., light enough to handle my 135 lb. frame.

5.5 Fro

Is it possible to still buy this frame anywhere?Read More »

Intense 5.5 FRO 08 headset help

Hi, I have a 08 5.5 FRO which i was planning to change the current headset to a Chris King, I am not too sure if this is the correct headset that i have to order. can anyone kindly advice me? [url]http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Mercha...de=CKNTS-INSET[/url]Read More »

100 usd more for the ASR 5 carbon and $200 fro the enduro kit???

Hi I want to order my bike this week , so Yesterday I check the Yeti side. My sorprise was that the price was up. The frame is 100 usd more and the enduro kit is $ 3550 (was 3350). I I don't know why maybe some component are new (2011) or the price of the carbon???? some ideas? :eekster ... Read More »

What size shock goes on a 2007 5.5 FRO?

A friend of mine bought a 2007 Intense FRO 5.5 frame and it looks like the shock is too short. When all built up, the BB is lower than the axles and he is only getting 2-3 inches of wheel travel. The shock also measures out to be a 1.5 inch stroke, clearly the wrong size shock. So what is the eyele ... Read More »

What size shock goes on a 2007 5.5 FRO?

A friend of mine bought a 2007 FRO 5.5 frame and it looks like the shock is too short. When all built up, the BB is lower than the axles and he is only getting 2-3 inches of wheel travel. The shock also measures out to be a 1.5 inch stroke, clearly the wrong size shock. So what is the eyelet to e ... Read More »