Ibis sl frame All Mountain Full Suspension

4.84/5 (32 Reviews)

In 2005The original Mojo setThe MTB world on its ear with a full carbon monocoque frame featuring dw-link rear suspension.TodayThe Mojo lives on in a lighter, longerTravel, version of its predecessor and it does it at affordable priceThat makes competitors cringe.Mojo SL uses carbon, carbon, carbon everywhere, including frame, swingarm, head cups, seattube insert, and dropouts, and can yield an amazingly light complete bike with a careful selection of parts, Or goThe other direction and build a

Submitted by buell1450 a Weekend Warrior from Caracas, Venezuela

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2010

Strengths:    Light, fast, great bottomless rear suspension. This is one of the top 4 trail bikes out there (ellsworth, turner, Pivot). Oh, and very sexy carbon.

Weaknesses:    Wanders a bit in the steep tech climbs (with talas at 130...), Flexy rear on hard descents makes it feel a bit nervous up front. I think its the third best dw link implementation after Pivot and Turner.

Bottom Line:
More of a XC machine than a trailbike, but still with 5" of travel. Very efficient, incredible acceleration, but gets beat in tech ascents and descents. Needs a bit longer and stiffer chain stays to settle the front. The Mojo HD 140 adresses this.

Favorite Trail:   Matamorros

Purchased At:   Latin Bike

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Epiphany, Turner 5 spot(DW), Pivot 5.

Bike Setup:   2011 Talas 150, Formula the one, The hive cranks, XO 36-20 granny, Cobalts, Time Atac, Joplin, Thompson. Nevegals 2.1 with stans. Weighs in at 11.8kg.

Submitted by nc2008sti a Cross Country Rider from Cary, NC

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2010

Strengths:    Pedaling efficiency, Plush suspension, Weight, Looks

Weaknesses:    Small amount of flex in the rear.

Bottom Line:
Best bike I have ever owned. Super plush, soaks up the bumps and pedals better than anything I have ever been on. Bought from Competitive Cyclist and they have the best customer service in the business. I can feel a small amount of flex in the rear, but not much.

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur, Intense 6.6, Titus Motolite Ti

Bike Setup:   XTR, X.O

Submitted by Irawan a Weekend Warrior from Indonesia

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2010

Strengths:    The Looks..! Beautiful Lines..!
Feel very light ,Uphill ,plush ,Responsive

Weaknesses:    Cable Routing can be better ...The rubber coating is not that durable

Bottom Line:
AWESOME... climbs like a XC racing bike...Fast and very maneuverable...and on descent feels stable and confident but on a rough terrain sometimes you can feel the flex coming from the real triangle.. Overall this bike feels more cross country/trail oriented than All mountain Category ...If you want to own only One Mountain bike This is the ONE...
Highly Recommended ...!!

Favorite Trail:   Desa Lulut , Cihuni ,Pengalengan

Purchased At:   PD Mini Roxy Jakarta

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper 2009 ,Yeti 575 ,Specialized M5 H.T

Bike Setup:   Fork Talas 140 2009 ,shocks fox Float rp23 ,fulcrum wheel red Metal ,Thompson stem and seat-post,sram xo with Twister

Submitted by fredjjjj a Cross Country Rider from North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2010

Strengths:    Light, strong, great all mountain frame.

Weaknesses:    Some rear end flex, chain slap will damage lower stay.

Bottom Line:
My favorite bike! Good for light all-mountain and
heavy cross country.
Compact cockpit, good head angle for steeps.

Favorite Trail:   Death-Diamond-Enduro

Purchased At:   Obsession Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper, Santa Cruz Heckler,
Specialized S-Works EPIC, Specialized S-Works Enduro.

Bike Setup:   Mojo SL with DT Swiss Shock, DT Swiss 150 mm fork,
Rase Seatpost (love it), XTR wheels, Avid Juicy Ultimate, XTR shifters-derr-crank, Specialized Eskar tires. Carbon Bar.

Submitted by FastDDS a Racer from san diego

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2009

Strengths:    5 inches of travel at hardtail weight.

Weaknesses:    water bottle location.
relatively short top tube relative to height of head tube.
difficult to mitigate frame wear from shifter cable near seatpost (yes I have the fancy tape applied).

Bottom Line:
I have been racing xc/endurance for two seasons on this bike. I have broken/had to replace the front triangle, rear shock, many manitou mrd forks, rear derailleur, head set, drivetrain, egg beaters. The original frame cracked inside the headtube which was discovered while lbs was replacing the headset. Ibis replaced the front triangle. The DT swiss works well for me but has been replaced x2 due to leakage and noise. Looks like the latest is wearing out as the anodization has worn off the sliding part.

This is a great all day fun MTB. So much so I don't like riding my other mtbs, even for racing. The bike is light enough for competition and I feel an advantage in endurance racing. The Achilles heel of this bike is the water bottle location.

If you are looking for one bike to do it all, I don't know of a better choice. The new Blur LT carbon is appealing, but I hear there is no water bottle at all.

Favorite Trail:   pct

Purchased At:   calcoast

Similar Products Used:   ellsworth truth

Bike Setup:   fox 140 rlc fork/ manitou minute mrd fork
dt swiss air shock
xtr group, hope mini brakes, stans 6000 wheels, lopes link.

Submitted by MultiRider a Racer from Colorado

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2009

Strengths:    I own an Ibis Mojo SL but posted under the regular Mojo category. Please see my review in the regular Mojo category.

Weaknesses:    Please see my review in the regular Mojo category.

Bottom Line:
Please see my review in the regular Mojo category. Hopefully it doesn't come across as too harsh -- I really like and highly recommend the Mojo and Mojo SL. But it's not a perfect bike and I thought I should point out some of the realities.

Favorite Trail:   Dakota Ridge

Purchased At:   Adventure Cycles in

Similar Products Used:   Please see my review in the regular Mojo category.

Bike Setup:   Please see my review in the regular Mojo category.

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Salt Lake City, Utah

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2009

Strengths:    Climbing, plush ride, but it does everything well. Looks pretty good too.

Weaknesses:    Causes overconfidence.

Bottom Line:
It just doesn't get any better. I'm not getting any frame flex. I'm thinking people are feeling tire roll and blaming the frame. It feels little short and twitchy after riding the Stumpjumper or my 29er, but this bike rocks. I've crashed, hard, a couple times. No damage to the bike, no concerns about the carbon frame.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock, Moab

Purchased At:   Wild Rose Sports, Sa

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper FSR

Bike Setup:   XTR gears, crank, shifters, wheels, Fox RLC Float, Fox RP23, Crank 4ti, Magura Marta, Easton Monkeylite, WTB, Kenda tubeless. 24.5 lbs

Submitted by tonyfan a Cross Country Rider from Rocklin Ca

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2009

Strengths:    Climbs awesome,rides awesome and well..... does it all awesome!!! GREAT BIKE!!!

Weaknesses:    Takes 20 min to get it out of my truck, everyone looking at it and asking questions

Bottom Line:
Just buy it!!!! The bike can do no wrong. Its light, fast and rides great!!!

Favorite Trail:   Forest Hill Divide Loop

Purchased At:   Bicycle Engineering

Similar Products Used:   Blur Lt

Bike Setup:   Mojo sl,rp23,rlc,xtr wheels,xt cranks and derails,avid elxir cr brakes

Submitted by DirtyRottenScoundrel a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, Texas

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2009

Strengths:    This thing handles great. It is quick in & out of the corners. Jumps with ease. Climbs like a goat. Descends smoothly and as fast as your guts will allow. The first time I took it out on a trail, felt like I'd been riding it for years.

Weaknesses:    Try walking into a gas station, grocery store, restaurant, or any place with this thing loaded up in the bed of your pick-up truck. Even with it locked up, you just fell uneasy. I guarantee if there is a window you be staring out it making sure your bike is still there.

Bottom Line:
Bike does what it is supposed to do, and it does it well. I have knocked 1 minute off a 2.25 mile trail - that's going from 12 minutes to just under 11 minutes on a 2.25 mile trail. That's just nuts. Here is a true story - I busted my shoulder yesterday while on a new trail, I mean head on with a tree, tree didn’t budge. On my way to the doctor to get some ex-rays done; I stopped off at a trail I ride often and shaved 5 seconds off my best lap time. I haven't even come close to my best lap time since I set it. Went back today and spanked my best time by an additional 32 seconds. This is injured, taking it easy on the rough spots, and still managed to knock off 32 seconds. INSANE!

Favorite Trail:   Oak Cliff Nature Preserve

Purchased At:   Dallas Bike Works

Similar Products Used:   Owned - GT, Novara
Ridden but not owned - Iron Horse, Trek, Marin, Specialized, Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Fox Float RLC fork, Fox Float RP23 shock, WTF Set up, Lopes Link. Swapped out the XTR Shifters to X0 grip shifters, the Magura Martas to Juicy Ultimates, XTR Cog to the Sram PG 990, as well as the Hutchinson Piranhas for some Kenda Nevegals.

Submitted by kingsx a Cross Country Rider from wasatch, usa

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2009

Strengths:    Design, Strength to weight ratio, Efficient Dave Weagle link, Ease of maintenance, Communicative and friendly staff

Weaknesses:    Cable routing works fine but could be improved, rubberized PU paint not as durable as I'd hoped, (still needs judicious spots of protection) Attracts ogling CF nutjobs (and they all want to pick it up)

Bottom Line:
I wanted to enjoy the downhill sections of my favorite trails more so I started looking for a new ride. I was merely surviving before on a 21 lb HT. I rarely ride lifts or do shuttles and really enjoy the exercise of "earning my turns." I'm a light guy but I still wanted to enjoy the climb and figured at 160 lbs, a 30 lb rig would be less fun, no matter how efficient the design.

Almost everything has it's limits and less is not more, but optimal is best. Can you build up an 18 lb fully? Absolutely. Would a 35 lb porker be more fun on the DH? I think it would, as a bit of weight helps hold your line, as opposed to getting bounced around. This bike adeptly handles the stuff I most prefer to ride. For me, it's the "one" bike because I don't do gnarly DH and I don't race XC so it perfectly serves the middle ground for my riding style. There's too much hyperbole in these reviews, rendering most of them useless. Any fanboy can come on here to spray and justify his purchase. The bike won't magically pull you uphill and it certainly doesn't promise to rocket you down unscathed. It does, however, strike an excellent balance. Other bikes do the same, but there are but a few.

My biggest complaint... all this carbon fiber seems to attract lots of attention. Obviously the weight weenies, of which I am a recovering member. But you also get golfers coming up to you to ask if they can pick it up. Anyway, WW see CF and apparently begin salivating. Some have built these up as fragile, flyweight XC rigs with a component spec that compromises the geometry/travel of the bike. Reminds me of trucks with giant wheels and low profile tires. Methinks they don't actually ride the bike though, as most of these examples are built with a kit that was chosen based on it's light weight or, believe it or not, appearance. Have a look at some of the ridiculous color coordinated showpieces on the Ibis forum. Way too many examples of form over function, but always good for a laugh. (Chris King headset cap on another manufacturers integrated headset to match their linkage... King has NEVER made an integrated headset.)

Ultimately it's an outstanding bike for what it's designed for, hence the 5 chilis overall. You can certainly get a lighter XC fully, but there is no lighter bike currently in production that offers 5.5 hot inches of rear travel. This also makes it a great value, hence the 4 chilis there. Weight isn't everything. If I were a Clyde, I might consider other bikes— ones that may cost less and wouldn't make up such a great percentage of my bodyweight. Durability is always a concern but the more you weigh... well, you get the idea. The Mojo will do anything ranging from epic XC, 24hr marathons to light DH but it's true niche seems to fall right in the "All Mountain" middle, which seems to represent a large percentage of riders. Probably has something to do with the demand exceeding the supply for two years now.

Favorite Trail:   crest

Similar Products Used:   others

Bike Setup:   09 Mojo SL, light AM w/ 150mm Talas, Float RP23, ZTR 355's, 600 gram tires that can still handle rocky mountains. (I built mine and the frame was 5.2 lbs with seat collar and shock in L) Total bike weighs 23 lbs and change with pedals.

Submitted by martin heffernan a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2009

Strengths:    This machine does everything superbly.Uphill, downhill,drops,singletrack,cross country.

Weaknesses:    It looks so good ,it has to be kept locked up.People want to steal it.Price.

Bottom Line:
This bike is simply sensational.The DW link suspension is unbelievable.I am probably an ok rider at best,but riding the SL has made me feel like I could mix it with the elite riders.It almost feels a part of you.It climbs like a goat,accellerates like a Lamborghini and decends like a rocket. When it corners you would think it is on rails.The bike is far better than my riding skills .You simply do not need any other bike.The guy who gave it only 3 Jalapenos is way of the mark. I have already knocked 2 minutes of my 8k trail lap times,riding this. Here is a warning though! If you ride one make sure you have the money to buy it.....Because you will!

Favorite Trail:   Rotorua/Woodhill

Purchased At:   Planet Cycles

Similar Products Used:   I had an 06 GT idrive 5.1. I have trailed the Nomad,Ellsworth Epiphany and Moment.

Bike Setup:   A complete XT build kit

Submitted by elvysborges a Cross Country Rider from Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2009

Strengths:    Light, incredible weight for 140mm

Bottom Line:
I bought only frame and fork. The Ibis is wonderful! I had never though that I can go down so fast! Talas and rear DW link transformed trails in paved road! And Mojo SL climbs very weel too! But the Mojo SL is shorter than Turner Bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Whistler

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic 2006, Turner Flux, Turner Nitrous, Specialized StumpJumper FSR Sworks Carbon

Bike Setup:   Fox Talas RLC, DT 240 wheelset, XTR, Avid brakes, Fizik Gobi Ti, Nevegal 2.35, DT XR Carbon

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Meridian, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2009

Strengths:    Light, fast, climbs great, screams downhill.

Bottom Line:
I tested a bunch of bikes and nothing came close to performing like the Ibis. It fits my riding style perfect and has improved both my climbing and descending speed. Plus the blue anodized DW Link with the Cobalts looks pretty cool.

Favorite Trail:   All of 'em