Ibis Mojo All Mountain Full Suspension

4.77/5 (205 Reviews)

The XTR equipped Mojo Carbon weighs in at a slim and trim 24.7 lbs in a large. That's an astonishing weight for an all-mountain bike with 5.5" of travel front and rear. That's 140mm of travel front and rear for those of you over there in Europe. Oh and 11.2 KG. Ibis doesn't use any "cheater" lightweight parts to keep the weight down, either. These bikes are built to ride, right out of the showroom.

• Carbon monocoque frame and swing arm
  • 5.5" (140mm) rear wheel travel
  • DW-Link Suspension
  • Forged and nickel-plated links
  • Easy to service pivots and bearings
  • Lightweight (sub 6 lb) frame, swingarm, rear shock; 25 lb complete bike weight
  • Ibis Mojo All Mountain Full Suspension Pro Review

Unchanged since 2005, the Carbon Ibis Mojo sports the the DW link suspension in a sleek monocoque design. The smooth lines are the result of the unibody construction which allows the frame to be constructed in one piece with fewer areas of stress in a lighter, stiffer and stylish package. Continue reading →

Submitted by Ian Woodford

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2014

Strengths:    Agility, Speed, Crazy Light, Very Responsive, Sexy

Bottom Line:
    One of the best all mountain bikes I have ridden. My bike has the Avid Elixir 7 brakes and Fox suspension build out. I have never had great luck with X Fusion shocks so I would advise against them. First thing I noticed on this bike is its extreme responsiveness. Even rode it 3 days downhilling including Whistler and it held up great. The big rocks will tend to bounce you around a bit more but that is expected since it is super light bike and not designed for burly downhill mountain riding. A truly great value for the price. No regrets with this purchase.

Submitted by Eder a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2014

Strengths:    Lateral stiffness, pedal efficiency, suspension, weight, geometry, dh capability.

Weaknesses:    Hummm, I really don't notice weakness in this amazing bike.

Bottom Line:
    I've had many full suspension bikes. This is the art state trail/am bike. I use Fox 36 180 air and CCDB CS air, what makes the Mojo HD be so good almost as DH specific machines. After many years, finally, I believe had met my definitive "do it all" bike.

Favorite Trail:   Blackcomb

Purchased At:   Brazil

Similar Products Used:   Specialized SJ FSR, Cannondale Moto, GT Fury Carbon, Evil Undead Carbon, Remec WC Carbon, UMF Freddy,

Bike Setup:   Formula brakes, KS seat post , Fox 36 180 air Talas, tubeless Continental 2.25 tires, CCDB air CS, hope hubs, Chromag handlebar, full Sram XX, E13 chainguide.

Submitted by dfaith

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2013

Strengths:    Sexiest frame on the market, suspension design killer. I like the fact all efforts were put into the frame and ride quality and not parts like some other manufacturers do. Parts always wear out, replace as needed, the bike is worth it.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
    Over 3 years of hard riding in ever condition imaginable, including heavy rain and snow, never a ride less that 3 hours. Not a single breakdown. She ascends as if she has wings, descends with a single minded purpose, to give you pleasure. Clean, inspect and service a bike at the end of every ride and you will catch things that wear out before they let you down. Everything is arite on my SL.

Submitted by Leah a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2013

Strengths:    Once tuned feels good to ride

Weaknesses:    Cost of bike, build, IBIS CUSTOMER SERVICE

Bottom Line:
    I will admit that this bike rides very well, however the build of the bike is somewhat suspect and after a year of moderate riding the bike has and is falling apart. Wheels, shocks, pivot bearings, etc have all had major service. Even worst is dealing with Ibis to rectify and issues. Not returning emails or phone calls or providing little guidance seems to be the norm... Looks as if Ibis is headed down the road of other boutique brands - High cost / poor service.

Duration Product Used:   1.25 yrs

Bike Setup:   Fox 36 Talas, DHX4, Stans Flow, XT build

Submitted by inter a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2013

Strengths:    Beauty, lightweight, excellent CS, agile handling, climb fast, downhill fast, efficient pedaling. I am so happy with this bike. Plenty stiff for me.

Weaknesses:    Head angle could be slacker, like 67.5deg instead of 69. can be done with works component. A bit nerveous for the first 4 rides.

Bottom Line:
    Mine is Ibis Mojo SL Special Blend, with xfusion velvet fork. At first, the fork was stiff, it took about 4 rides to break in. Now is performing very well. Coming from 32.5 lbs beast, this bike is light at 27lbs including gravity dropper, bottle cage, and mini pump on the frame. Climbing is fast, great handling all around, boost my confidence on some climb and drops. I cleared a climb that I never cleared before, and I did a drop that I never did, maybe because my mojo was elevated too.

I got this bike a week before thanskgiving, first week wasnt too happy with the fork, after 5th and more rides, it feels great now. I am xc rider with light AM style, occasional drops under 3 ft.
    Price for Special Blend was great, cant complain for under $3000 with full carbon.

Favorite Trail:   fullerton loop, turnbull canyon

Duration Product Used:   since November 2012

Purchased At:   www.backcountry.com

Similar Products Used:   Felt Compulsion 3

Bike Setup:   change the wheelset to ZTR arch rear and crest front.
    carbon bar, and gravity dropper post. Now is 1x10 drivetrain from 3x10.

Submitted by Eric H a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, Looks, Ability to do all and do it well, almost zero pedal bob, etc etc etc

Weaknesses:    Cane Creek 40 headset sucks that came with it, OE tires leave something to be desired, and It wasnt free???

Bottom Line:
    Ive ridden and owned a ton of top name bikes. Im one of those guys that cant help himself and gets new bikes more than I should until now. I will not own another bike, period. I snagged a great deal on an upgraded 2012 Mojo HD 160 with XT components, upgraded wheels, Float 36 RC2/Float RP23 Kashima and Easton Carbon bars for under $4000 shipped new. This bike just blows me away. It can climb better than most every XC bike Ive owned, It descends better than any AM bike Ive ever owned. It weighs in right around 27lbs which for a 160mm travel bike with heavy duty components is incredible.

The one suggestion I have, go with a 1x or 2x drive-train option like the SRAM XO. Mine came with the 3x10 XT and honestly you just don't need all those extra gears on this bike plus it made chain slap/drop chains an issue. Tires aren't the best and also the Cane Creek 40 headset is pretty crappy, doesn't stay tight.

Other than those few issues this bike is honestly a do it all bike. I am impressed every time I take it out. The DW suspension is stunning, literally almost no pedal bob. Not to mention the aesthetics of this bike, I get stopped all the time on the trail asking about it. Just a piece of artwork if you ask me.

Similar Products Used:   Most of the major brands of AM and XC bikes

Submitted by PJM a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2012

Strengths:    Has not broken!!!! NOT ALUMINUM!!! High-tech materials with high technology fabrication
    and you have the IBIS mojo....sl or HD...dont care. Light strong and a perfect replacement for
    your BEERCAN BIKES.....ALUMINUM IS DEAD.....

Weaknesses:    Damage from rock hits... This is easily SOLVED by flipping your bike upsidedown and layering some clear SILICONE glue under the downtube and under your chainstais and BB area.
    This bounces any rocks off of this carbon frame and offers a perfect rubber protective coating
    that can be customized by any owner.....I have it 1/4" thick where any rocks typically hit frames.

Bottom Line:
    This is a follow-up review after 2.5 years of HARD RIDING...I am 200lbs and do not "Jump"
    over anything....I have Broken EVERY ALUMINUM FRAME I have owned within ONE year
    of ownership. I am now DONE with aluminum frames....This frame does it all.. I must say the FLEX issue is non- existant......I believe the flex is only the combonation of the rear end sinking
    into its travel along with the wheel itself that the person is running.....Its the combo dummy....the rear end is solid and bomber.. This frame with a top end fork is not touchable....beautiful.
    Thanks Scott Nicol for coming back to your roots....I am impressed......

Favorite Trail:   singltrack!!

Similar Products Used:   everything

Bike Setup:   Custom build with fox talas 115-150mm Fit RCL...

Submitted by Javier a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2012

Strengths:    Look, good climber, rigid, customer support

Weaknesses:    My front Talas comes with a lot of stinction, when service it it perfoms very well, BUT the rear travel it´s too linerar. I solved that with the fox volume reducer, it will be cool with a little bit lower BB area (personal preference)

Bottom Line:
    Awesome rig

Favorite Trail:   Jlo

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Ibis Chile

Submitted by manchvegas

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2012

Strengths:    IMO The mojo HD is the most versatile bike on the market, let me count the ways...
    set up as 140mm rear to 140-160mm front or 160 rear with 160-180 front....
    Can be set up for xc as complete 140 at around 24-25 lbs
    or run as full DH with coil front and rear 160mm rear and 180mm front.
    can be run with anything inbetween those two extremes. I use my bike for everything from xc to straight up jump park lift access trails.

Weaknesses:    I guess if I had to give it some weaknesses it would be how it comes stock, with three ring or 2 ring front chainring and no chainguide. though easily fixed.

Bottom Line:
    I have been on my Mojo HD for over a year now and have it set up 1x10 with the mrp G2 chainguide. I set it up with 160 rear and 160mm front for all around trail rides and I bought a 180mm coil fork for running at the park days. with dropper post and 180mm coil fork the bike is still stupid light at 31lbs which is great for a very capable DH/park bike. I will say every bike I've owned before my Mojo HD there was something I really didn't like and always wanted something different/better. I can honestly say now, I don't really care for another bike, I see myself keeping this bike for years to come. The biking industry will have to do something seriously drastic to improve on frame technology to get me to even think about trying anything else for a long time... thanks IBIS!!

Submitted by jeff angell a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2012

Strengths:    very light......works good with about anything you can throw at it......except down hill rocky trails. especially if you go over the bars! just sayin!

Weaknesses:    the rear triangle is pretty weak as I went over the bars and the bike landed on a rock and cracked the left side smallest area. chipped it and there were a couple small cracks adjacent. took it to my local ibis dealer that doesn't stock them because they are a small shop and they took a few pics and ibis sent out a new updated rear triangle within 2 days. couldn't believe i had my bike back so fast. guess it was the $540.00 it cost that got it done so fast.....ouch! just got the lopes link installed and can't wait to ride it again! sedona ride in 2 weeks! go the lime gren color also....gets the chicks lookin!

Bottom Line:
    had another carbon bike ( stumpjumper pro carbon) but came across the ibis on ebay........shes so sexy and at 2300.......who can resist for an almost never used bike! bottom line is I will sell them both for this crazy 29er craze!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   sunset/flaggstaff

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Similar Products Used:   specialized stumpjumper pro carbon

Bike Setup:   fox shocks fron and rear

Submitted by Patrick

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2012

Strengths:    Climbing, light for a 140mm, nice descender (not exeptional), killer deal compare to other carbon frames on the market, havent notice any flex ( i'm 235lbs)

Weaknesses:    heavy wheels, short cockpit feeling (perso), i like lil longer cockpit, bit steep head angle to b an excellent downhiller

Bottom Line:
    Dw Link work nicely on climbing, nor as plush as vpp on downhill.
    excellent square bumps eater

Submitted by jrogs

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2012

Strengths:    Light, Strong, Durable, Great customer service, super fun to ride, great all mountain bike.

Weaknesses:    Not as fast uphill as a true XC bike.

Bottom Line:
    I really love this bike. It is a great all mountain bike. It is super fun to ride. With the addition of the Lopes link it made it a lot more stiff. The bike is gorgeous.

Submitted by rompemonster a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2012

Strengths:    Plush and great 'round' pedaling. Closest to a do-it-all bike I've experienced as XC + uphill is doable due to low weight (my setup is at 12.5kg with 2x10 and 2.4" tires) and pedaling efficiency (despite long travel). Work with 650 so you can change the bike entirely by changing wheelset. Finishing is great and so is the Instruction book...

Weaknesses:    some limitations on FD direct mount set-ups (chain-rings) but that can be accommodated if selecting other FD mountings. Does not have ICG tabs (not that that bothers me as I have the xtr Shadow RD ;)
    for a rider at ~180cm you probably will find yourself in the upper range of M and the lower of L (which can be pro so you can actually choose frame size upon your riding style :)

Bottom Line:
    After 6 months I couldn't be happier -the bearings are mostly easy to clean and more-over when/if to be replaced it is extremely easy (never seen any bike where replacement is that straight-forward and standard). Riding wise it is second to none in the 160 range

Favorite Trail:   TW2, Puncak, Bogor

Purchased At:   Private

Similar Products Used:   Spesh Enduro
    (and tried a host of other in the same range before ending up with Mojo HD)

Bike Setup:   XTR group trail/race groupset (2x10), Bos Deville, Podium MMX f + Alpine r w. i9 classic; Conti X-King RaceSport 2.4/Hans Dampf Trail* 2.35 (both tubeless); enve 800 bar + renthal grips; reverb -all clocking in with pedals at 12.5kg

Submitted by TheRedMantra a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2012

Strengths:    The bike is aesthetically pleasing. From any angle it looks like a work of art. Mine is orange and the color is outrageous. It really pops in the sun.

The bike is available as a frame or in many configurations so it can be easily customized.

It handles very well. I always feel stable on the downhills and in the techiest shyte.

ibis is well known for their above and beyond attitude when it comes to customer service. I feel comfortable dealing with them and I believe that they will do right by me as best as they can.

Weaknesses:    The finish is not so bueno. When installing the bb in the first frame ibis sent me the paint around the bb shell cracked. The paint was also chipped a bit on the top of the head tube around the hole for the headset. The frame came with some minor cosmetic defects but nothing really noteworthy in my opinion. I do not know that paint cracking is a common problem but I have read about the same issue on a silver frame that belongs to another forum member.

The frame was quite a bit heavier than the claim ibis made when it announced the bike.

The cost is hard to justify when there are cheaper bikes that perform very similarly.

Bottom Line:
    The frame is over ibis' initial claimed weight, however it is still light enough for me. The frame is strong and it performs well. It is nimble, agile and stiff. I have been riding mountain bikes regularly for 13+ years and in that time I have ridden many types of them. This frame is responsive and can handle most obstacles I am capable of overcoming and presumably those obstacles far beyond my capacity to comfortably navigate.

The quality of the paint is disappointing. I put my deposit down two weeks after ibis announced the bike and I wanted an orange one. I waited ten months and finally got it in February of this year. When the guys at my local shop and ibis (via email and phone) inspected the crack they deemed it to be cosmetic and not structural. Without even waiting for me to ask ibis offered to send another orange frame my way when they had some more inflow. They said it would be fine to ride the one they sent and when the new one became available they sent it to me at no cost. ibis even paid for the shop (different shop than where I bought it) to strip the first bike down and to build up my new frame. They also covered shipping both ways.

The bike is absolutely gorgeous. I get a lot of comments about how unique it looks. I am a big fan of bikes that not only ride amazingly but do so in a style that suits me.

The wait was agonizing. There is no excuse for taking so long. I really hope ibis has learned some valuable lessons from this ordeal. I do not know what the wait is like now or if there even is one. What people should realize is that early adopters chose to buy what they buy. I did feel a little led on by overly optimistic lead times but at no time was I being refused a full refund on my deposit. From my understanding ibis does not get any money until the frames are shipped to the dealers. They have been amazingly responsive to the battery of questions in the forums here on mtbr and to many phone calls and emails from eager purchasers. They stand behind their products and have been in the mountain bike industry a long time.

The bike handles like a dream. I feel that ibis put a lot into this bike. Some call it trendy because it has the same geometry as the SL but the newer features that are "must haves" like the 12x142mm maxle, bb92, tapered headtube. Is the bike overkill for your average xc rider? Yes. Is the bike a downhill monster? No. Does the bike do what I want it to do? If by that I mean does it not only comfortably float uphill but glide down? Yes, it certainly does. I have ridden the bike around Flagstaff, AZ this spring and this summer have spent a good bit of time riding in South Florida (Oleta, Markham, Amelia so far). ibis' designers used input from some amazing pro riders and testers. It was not built purely for looks. This is really a do everything bike for me. It does feel like overkill for much of the riding in and around Miami but it still rides amazingly well here. When I take the bike to some real mountains I have what I need and then some.

The cost does put a lot of people off. Remember that you are not only buying the bike but the customer support you should expect to receive at that pricepoint. I do wish the warranty were a bit longer but I can dig it.

The reason I gave a value of 4 instead of 5 is because of the quality of the paintjob. I could have bailed on the bike and got a Pivot or something along those lines. I wanted the ibis and I wanted the color I got. ibis offered me other colors around October when I thought I couldn't hold off any longer. I had parts laying around waiting for a frame. It was very frustrating. I was the one who decided I could wait as long as it would take. I do feel that some of the lead times were optimistic early on, but after a while ibis was straightforward with me and said that they couldn't give me an accurate estimated delivery date. I really wish the finish was better. On my second frame the paint is chipped around the headset. I must remind myself that it is only a mountain bike, destined to be chipped and scratched. After defiling a few Kleins it bothers me less than it would have ten years ago, but a poor quality paintjob reflects poorly on the quality of the bike and the company who produced it.

The reason I gave it a 4/5 overall score was because as nice as the bike is, when based solely on performance I feel that the bike is rather pricey. Customer service is terrific. Is dealing with ibis better than dealing with Specialized, Giant, Cannondale and many of the other big'uns? In my experience yes. Does that mean that those companies offer poor customer service? Not at all. Also ibis gave me a nice gift for putting in my deposit in April of last year and waiting so long for the bike.

Please remember that when people build/buy bikes that are this expensive they are often not motivated by logic but by passion. If you're going to hate, hate for a good reason. Hate the performance. Hate the service. Don't hate the bikelust.

Favorite Trail:   Shultz Creek (Flagstaff, AZ)

Duration Product Used:   6+ months