Ibis Mojo SL All Mountain Full Suspension

4.47/5 (15 Reviews)

The Ibis Mojo SL takes its cues from the popular Mojo Carbon, and it takes away a few extra grams as well. This bike is built in the same molds as the Mojo, so the familiar shape and notable 140mm travel all-mountain geometry is all the same. However, there are a few distinct differences between the two that set the 5.3 pound Mojo SL apart and up to 295g (.65 lbs) lighter than the Mojo Carbon.The folks at Ibis have used the latest technologies to eliminate most of the alloy bits found in the original Mojo Carbon frame. In the SL version, the dropouts are compression molded carbon fiber and are far lighter than their aluminum counterparts. The dropouts use stainless steel inserts to ensure durability. The head tube cups and seatpost insert are also carbon fiber. The actual composite layup is enhanced by the integration of higher modulus fibers, meaning less material can be used while maintaining the same strength and stiffness. Less material means less total weight. And, for the icing on the cake, steel pivot hardware has been replaced with lighter and stronger 6/4 titanium. Ibis makes full use of the dw-link to provide an optimal blend of all-mountain suspension characteristics. One of the most notable traits is its built in anti-squat. The position of the linkages creates resistance in the suspension to the rearward transfer of mass and subsequent compression (squat) of the rear end as you stomp the pedals and accelerate. This anti-squat transfers your pedal input into forward motion instead of "monkey motion." According to Dave Weagle, the dw-link creator, the anti-squat properties built into the Mojo SL rear suspension allow Ibis to use a more lightly damped shock. This translates into greater bump sensitivity, traction, and control in all trail situations whether accelerating or coasting. The Mojo SL has that "buttery smooth" feel of a coil spring without the weight penalty. With the dw-link, the chainstay length increase is minimal and occurs at a constant and smooth rate. Pedal feedback as the suspension cycles is nominal and doesn't markedly change from the small to the big ring. We've found it to be a square-edge bump-eating machine.The Mojo SL is 100% carbon fiber except for the inserts at the bottom bracket and linkage shaft bores. The composite frame sections are molded as a monocoque to exploit the benefits of a refined layup schedule. The one-piece carbon structures are stiff and durable and provide the ultimate platform for the dw-link to do its work. Each alloy link is forged, CNC machined, polished, and nickel plated or anodized for the ultimate in stiffness and sex appeal. Out back, Ibis specs the latest Fox RP23 rear shock with Kashima Coat and Adaptive Logic Boost Valve. Just like its effect on the front forks, Kashima Coat creates a slicker more durable finish on the shock shaft. This allows the rear suspension to respond to bump input with greater sensitivity. This rear shock has user adjustable rebound damping and

Submitted by Ian Woodford

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2014

Strengths:    Agility, Speed, Crazy Light, Very Responsive, Sexy

Bottom Line:
One of the best all mountain bikes I have ridden. My bike has the Avid Elixir 7 brakes and Fox suspension build out. I have never had great luck with X Fusion shocks so I would advise against them. First thing I noticed on this bike is its extreme responsiveness. Even rode it 3 days downhilling including Whistler and it held up great. The big rocks will tend to bounce you around a bit more but that is expected since it is super light bike and not designed for burly downhill mountain riding. A truly great value for the price. No regrets with this purchase.

Submitted by dfaith

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2013

Strengths:    Sexiest frame on the market, suspension design killer. I like the fact all efforts were put into the frame and ride quality and not parts like some other manufacturers do. Parts always wear out, replace as needed, the bike is worth it.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
Over 3 years of hard riding in ever condition imaginable, including heavy rain and snow, never a ride less that 3 hours. Not a single breakdown. She ascends as if she has wings, descends with a single minded purpose, to give you pleasure. Clean, inspect and service a bike at the end of every ride and you will catch things that wear out before they let you down. Everything is arite on my SL.

Submitted by inter a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2013

Strengths:    Beauty, lightweight, excellent CS, agile handling, climb fast, downhill fast, efficient pedaling. I am so happy with this bike. Plenty stiff for me.

Weaknesses:    Head angle could be slacker, like 67.5deg instead of 69. can be done with works component. A bit nerveous for the first 4 rides.

Bottom Line:
Mine is Ibis Mojo SL Special Blend, with xfusion velvet fork. At first, the fork was stiff, it took about 4 rides to break in. Now is performing very well. Coming from 32.5 lbs beast, this bike is light at 27lbs including gravity dropper, bottle cage, and mini pump on the frame. Climbing is fast, great handling all around, boost my confidence on some climb and drops. I cleared a climb that I never cleared before, and I did a drop that I never did, maybe because my mojo was elevated too.

I got this bike a week before thanskgiving, first week wasnt too happy with the fork, after 5th and more rides, it feels great now. I am xc rider with light AM style, occasional drops under 3 ft.
Price for Special Blend was great, cant complain for under $3000 with full carbon.

Favorite Trail:   fullerton loop, turnbull canyon

Duration Product Used:   since November 2012

Purchased At:   www.backcountry.com

Similar Products Used:   Felt Compulsion 3

Bike Setup:   change the wheelset to ZTR arch rear and crest front.
carbon bar, and gravity dropper post. Now is 1x10 drivetrain from 3x10.

Submitted by jeff angell a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2012

Strengths:    very light......works good with about anything you can throw at it......except down hill rocky trails. especially if you go over the bars! just sayin!

Weaknesses:    the rear triangle is pretty weak as I went over the bars and the bike landed on a rock and cracked the left side smallest area. chipped it and there were a couple small cracks adjacent. took it to my local ibis dealer that doesn't stock them because they are a small shop and they took a few pics and ibis sent out a new updated rear triangle within 2 days. couldn't believe i had my bike back so fast. guess it was the $540.00 it cost that got it done so fast.....ouch! just got the lopes link installed and can't wait to ride it again! sedona ride in 2 weeks! go the lime gren color also....gets the chicks lookin!

Bottom Line:
had another carbon bike ( stumpjumper pro carbon) but came across the ibis on ebay........shes so sexy and at 2300.......who can resist for an almost never used bike! bottom line is I will sell them both for this crazy 29er craze!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   sunset/flaggstaff

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Similar Products Used:   specialized stumpjumper pro carbon

Bike Setup:   fox shocks fron and rear

Submitted by Patrick

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2012

Strengths:    Climbing, light for a 140mm, nice descender (not exeptional), killer deal compare to other carbon frames on the market, havent notice any flex ( i'm 235lbs)

Weaknesses:    heavy wheels, short cockpit feeling (perso), i like lil longer cockpit, bit steep head angle to b an excellent downhiller

Bottom Line:
Dw Link work nicely on climbing, nor as plush as vpp on downhill.
excellent square bumps eater

Submitted by Pelly_NH a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2012

Strengths:    DW Link suspension is exceptional for a wide variety of riding. I opted for the Special Blend build which was an absolute steal considering how much the frame costs alone. The biggest surprise was how much I liked the X-Fusion gear, which was my expected weakness when originally looking at the kit.
Incredible frame and excellent community presence. Head into the Ibis forums and you'll see Hans chiming in to help everyone out with any questions, issues, etc.

Weaknesses:    Zero complaints with the frame itself. Only issues would be with some of the parts in the build kit. However, for the price there is zero room to complain.
I updates brakes to Shimano XT (785) w/ ice rotors and threw on some 2.2 X-Kings. In the off-season, I'll start upgrading components to shed weight and dial things in more.

Bottom Line:
One look at this frame and you're drooling. One ride on this bike and you know you've made a fantastic choice. Amazing bike from an amazing company. The price of the Special Blend build kit still amazes me and seems like it should be significantly more expensive.
I live in Austin and have taken this though a wide variety of places ranging from Walnut Creek to Reveille Peak Ranch. Couldn't be happier with the bike!

Favorite Trail:   Anything that isn't paved...

Duration Product Used:   1 season

Purchased At:   Uranium Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Element Team SC

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Shimano XT (785) brakes w/ ice tech rotors and some 2.2 X-Kings

Submitted by Celmeleon

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2012

Strengths:    Not bad for CB frame..for XC AM riding

Weaknesses:    quick release link is kind of scary if you do a big drop gets loose...:(

Bottom Line:
I got my ibis mojo sl special blend so is not to bad at all for a price of the frame I would recommended to all...maybe my next bike is Mojo HD

Submitted by hellbelly a Weekend Warrior from Norfolk, VA US of A

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2012

Strengths:    The Mojo is a very lightweight, nice pedaling rig and an excellent mild mannered trailbike. See details below...

Weaknesses:    The Mojo is a bit twitchy for my tastes. It screams for a dropper post. See details below...

Bottom Line:
Loss of Mojo

Dr. Evil: "Mojo: The libido. The life force. The essence. The right stuff. What the French call a certain... I don't know what. "

Yeaaaaah Baby! I know what, let's talk about my four days aboard the Mojo SL, Ibis Cycles bold return to the market. This bike has been around for a few years now and they are rather coveted. Lately, Ibis' newer offerings like the HD as well an updated version of this frame (the SL-R) have stolen some of this rig's thunder. Still, this is a sexy beast that has become more ubiquitous than the new jacks of the Ibis stable.

Disclaimer: I am not a pro rider by any stretch of the imagination. I race occasionally mostly as an excuse to drink beer, start trouble and heckle other riders. I ride bicycles nearly everyday including commuting to work. While I am no longer a Clydesdale, I am no ballerina. I ride aggressively and value durability over weight savings. I could stock a bike shop with the parts and frames that have worn out or broken over nearly 25 years of mountain biking. My experience with carbon fiber in parts and bikes is a mixed bag. Some stuff has held up and some have not. My current personal steed is a Santa Cruz Butcher and I have spent time recently on a Nomad, Heckler, some steel single speeds both mountain and road and a cyclocross rig. In addition, I have ridden a several iterations of DW-link bikes which the Mojo SL is including an Iron Horse, Turner and a Pivot. Thus, I was interested to see how the Mojo SL, a full suspension carbon rig would fare.

Additionally, I will not regurgitate the specs on the bike as they may be found on the well done Ibis site. They have a swanky bike builder function similar to that found on the Santa Cruz site whom pioneered this approach. I will discuss the the build kit and the ride. The model I rode was the baseline SRAM X-9 equipped package sans any upgrades. The medium demo I rented from Roaring Mouse was matte clear with red links and weighed in at approximately 28 lbs. I shot the bull with Chris the owner and my bro's fav mechanic and all around way rad guy Charlie while another cat got the sled ready and vaguely dialed it in for me (more on this later). I have to give a plug for Roaring Mouse. This is one of the best shops I have ever visited. No attitude, killer service, cool product lines and a bunch that knows their shiz. I have been in a handful of other Bay area shops and Roaring Mouse makes it hard for me want to go anywhere else.

Plastic Fantastic
Four days on a bike will tell you nothing of it's durability, but I did get a very good sense of this bike's pros and cons regarding it's ride, set-up and well...mojo. Sorry; I cannot resist a bad pun. It is hard to knock the Mojo aesthetically as it is a sharp looking rig that does not resemble much of anything out there and the matte carbon on the bike's undulating highly manipulated monocoque frame echos a stealth fighter. The stealth attributes continue as this is not a noisy frame as many monocoques are. The multiple links/pivots that make up the DW-link system made not a peep either. I wonder how this will play out over the bike's lifespan.

The pivot/linkage area is quite busy as is par for DW-link bikes making derailleur installation/adjustments a game of "Operation". Fortunately I did not have to mess with it during my rides. However, this area collects every bit of crud possible from the trail. I cleaned it up with some trepidation after an extremely nasty ride. Hosing this spot down without blasting the gunk into seals takes some patience.

Now ride the dang thing
Patience was in short supply as I took off with my brutha on my first ride on the Mojo SL to ride Camp Tamarancho across the Golden Gate bridge in Fairfax. I had to do some additional fiddling with the bike to get things comfortable. Nothing out of the norm, but I did immediately notice some differences between my usual steed and the Mojo. The geometry is more forward biased in keeping things clearly in the XC/Trail category. The weight on this bike was not crazy light, but it could easily be built up in the low 20 pound range. These two factors made it feel much more skittish and unstable than what I was used to. Sure it climbed well, but not noticeably better than my heavier rig. Descending was good on the Mojo but not amazing requiring me to be picky with my line choices. The suspension was great rolling over the small chop, but bottomed pretty harsh on any medium drops or g-outs. Most of the terrain at Tamarancho was not that tough and this bike's 140mm's of travel was overkill in all but a few sections. The Mojo's wiggly feel on the harsher stuff made it feel flexy even though the frame was solid as could be. I later was able to fix much of this by spending a few more minutes dialing in the fork and shock. Nonetheless, the geometry was still steeper than I was used to. The first ride was still a blast and we ended up with big smiles, beers and a brat at the Gesalt Haus. Bring yr bike in, hang it up and get yr drink on...awesome!

Now it's Golden
The next day after a morning of running errands, I was itching to go turn some cranks. I decided to ride around town and hit the mild footpath trails in Golden Gate park and some urban as well. I added more air to the shock and tweaked the fork adjustments. Apparently, I found that the rear shock, Fox's popular RP23 had lost a great deal of air and caused the floppy feeling the Mojo had the day before. Hmmmmm...I stayed away from air shocks for a very long time and this was not very inspiring, but once the pressure was dialed the bike felt way better. The sloppy feeling was mostly gone and the suspension was not bottoming out as it had the day before. I still had to contend with geometry differences, but at least the tail was not a mess. I pedaled all over the park which has many rolling flowy paths. Nothing technical, mind you but fun stuff to just pump and carve around on. I then pedaled down towards the Haight stopping at American Cyclery to geek out over all the sweet road bikes and associated paraphernalia. The Mojo is a very distinct bike and even the shop rats were asking me all about it. I drank some espresso at a coffee shop and then pedaled my way back up to my brutha's place. The bike climbed without any bad manners and was not abominable on the street as many mountain bikes are. I chased down a couple of road bikers and a guy on a fixie without being too schvitzed. I took it easy that night as the next morning I was out run the Bay to Breakers 12K. I actually ran it too versus the bulk of the participants who are partying harder than is legal pretty much everywhere else in the US. 55, 000 + people, many in costume and many nude running/stumbling down the SF streets. Lotsa left-handed cigarette smoke wafting throughout too. Gotta love the place.

Tired? Nope; let's go!!!
I ran the 12K quite fast according to my brutha and his friends. Then I meandered back to his pad only to turn right around still in costume as my brutha and his entourage said they wanted to go down and check out all the freaks. I was pretty tired, but I soldiered on and was rewarded with a big organic cup of joe from a bakery on our way. My brutha asks if I am not too beat if I would like to check out the trails down past Half Moon Bay at Skeggs point/El Corte de Madera. Ab-so-freakin-lutely!!! We packed up the bikes and went for it. I was a lil' tired, but the trails were so killer I found a second wind. These were the best most technical trails I had ridden in all of my visits out to SF. It really helped me see just how the Mojo would handle. It was also still somewhat wet from the previous nights rain adding to the technical demands. The Mojo climbed up even the steepest pitches admirably. I found that I was searching for traction though as there was a very specific point in which the wheels would break away on a climb. Conversely, descending still required me to pick lines and use a lot of body English to get the Mojo to dig in. I was not crazy over the WTB Mutano meats as the they just did not grab despite fiddling with different pressures. One thing that I would recommend for this bike as an immediate upgrade is some kind of adjustable seatpost. This is true for any all mountain or trail rig though as far as I am concerned and it is an upgrade option that is available through Ibis at the time of purchase. Having to stop to fiddle with lowering your seat is annoying. This bike just like many others comes alive when you remove the fanny hatchet from your posterior. My bro and I stopped to drop our seats on one of the really steep descents and were damn thankful as we would have certainly endoed down some of those pitches. The bike felt pretty darn good now going down and with air pressure dialed soaked up the big stuff far better. We barely scratched the surface there as the place is littered with ripping well signed trails. I want to go back sooner than later.

A rolling finish
I spent my last ride with the Mojo once again riding through the San Francisco streets. I now was pretty comfortable with the feel of the bike and now I could get it to perform as I desired on command. I found myself effortlessly bunny-hopping everything and tearing down the steep hills with abandon. Chris from the Roaring Mouse said if want to have a good time this was the bike to ride and I agree. I had a great time with it and I know in time I would have dialed it in to feel like just an extension of me (Eeeeeeeek!!! that is a horrifying thought to anyone that knows me).

The Mojo SL is great all rounder do-it-all trail bike and actually is quite a bargain compared to it's closest competitors with the X-9 kit mine was built with. The X-9 drivetrain worked flawlessly during my time with it. I did have a few minor complaints with it though. First, the new 10 speed X-9 looks cheap compared to the previous versions. The matte black finish with white accents and big logos screamed department store. Others I was with also noticed this. Second, I have not run a "big" ring in more than 10 years so it was kinda weird having a triple. I realized that I had to actually use it going down as the chain dropped a few times when I forgot. I would go with a 2X10. Finally, that crisp audible clank that is ubiquitous with SRAM shifting was more subtle. This did not effect the performance, but I missed hearing that noise. The Ibis branded cockpit (stem, bars, grips) were adequate but nothing special. I think the bars at 660mm were too narrow and the stem at 100mm was too long. Maybe Ibis was feeling nostalgic for the late 90's, but not my cup of tea. Ditto for the foam lock-on grips. I prefer very thin grips and these were a bit too thick for me. The brakes, Formula's RX did not impress me. While, they had tons of power they were way too grabby and very on/off with lil' modulation available. They reminded of early disc brakes so maybe that was in keeping with retro cockpit. I was not crazy about the WTB tires, but to each their own. Enough complaints.

In closing I would like to thank...
The Mojo SL is a damn fine bike and overall a blast to ride with really minimal bummer issues. It is a proven winner and will satisfy a multitude of riders looking to build a lightweight and fun trailbike. I suppose my biggest issue is that I do not ride a trailbike and I was pushing the bike to more than it was designed for. I likely would have been in hog-heaven aboard the Ibis Mojo HD with its slacker geometry and increased travel. The SL for a rider like me feels almost XC in nature. I have said for years that one should chose a bike for not only the way they ride, but on the way they want to ride. When riders ignore this bikes fall apart quickly. I know that I would beat the tar outta the SL and would be dealing with maintenance issues at least if not warranty issues at worst. That said, who would love it? Certainly the trailbike contingency and riders coming from an XC background. This bike would be terrific as an enduro racer as it can built really lightweight. I loved it as it got me out riding around SF on a seriously sexy rig and out to some ripping local trails. Je ne sais quoi? No baby, it's got mojo to spare!

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Pisgah Forest NC

Purchased At:   Roaring Mouse

Similar Products Used:   SC Heckler's, Nomad, Butcher, Bullit

Bike Setup:   see below...

Submitted by olijay a Weekend Warrior from Iceland

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2012

Strengths:    Beautiful, light, agile, incredible climber, solid descender, easy to work on.

Weaknesses:    Flexy, but that isn't as big a problem as you would think.

Bottom Line:
I got my Mojo SL as a surprise replacement for my broken bike just two weeks before a planned trip to Les Gets in the french Alps. That didn't leave a lot of time to get to know the bike before putting it through some of the most challenging terrain on earth but after just three weeks of riding this bike left a seriously good impression. The first two weeks were useful in getting it set up to my liking for my local trails, which are mostly quite mild. The shift in scenery to the Portes du Soleils region in the western Alps really brought out the best in this bike; it's really quite amazing that one bike can handle mild-mannered XC rides on a sunday with a couple of hours to kill, but when you bring it to the bike park it only asks for more. You can feel it flex under you (both front and back) but it's never a scary or uncomfortable feeling. From what I've read from others, it's more noticeable for bigger riders (I'm 200lbs). If you set it up with the right amount of sag for what you're doing you'll never feel that you're asking too much of the bike.

This is truly a sublime bike with very few weaknesses. I'm not the most skilled of riders but I do believe I've put my Mojo SL through some tough times over the past few months. It did need some maintenance after a week abroad (lower bearings needed replacement), but as most people know, a week of riding in serious terrain is like a year of riding for the weekend warrior on local trails. The bike is very easy to work on and spares are readily available locally.

This is one of those bikes that I feel can handle almost everything. You can set it up for XC racing and it never feels like overkill. You can set it up for trail riding and it feels amazing. I've taken it to the bike park and while I won't be doing any Rampage-style stunts, nor will I be winning any DH competitions on it, it's still a lot of fun.

Favorite Trail:   Reykjadalur

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Scott Ransom 2007

Bike Setup:   RockShox Revelation Team (2010), Fox RP23 (2012), ZTR Olympic Freeride w/cheap hubs, X7 drivetrain, Formula RX brakes

Submitted by CactusJackSlade a Racer from Sierras - California

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2011

Strengths:    This is a GREAT all mountain OR cross country racer (if you set this up with a Terralogic fork or a fork with a lock out)

This bike can be built up extremely light - I got mine down to 21.5lbs in race trim.

Great customer support, bike handles extremely well, a home run for Ibis IMO

Weaknesses:    The first nude carbon frames had a rubberized coating that did not hold up well with cleaners... this has since been resolved. Some people complain about it not being stiff, I have never felt that at all.

Bottom Line:
GREAT and fun all around bike. The cusshiest and most responsive bike I've ridden. Very good racer too if set up properly. Definitely would recommend this to others.

Favorite Trail:   The Whole Enchilada - Moab

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur XC, Ventana Fuego,

Bike Setup:   Either a Carbon Lefty with lock-out or a Fox Terralogic fork, XTR, Stans wheels

Submitted by MojoPat a Cross Country Rider from Auburn CA USA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2011

Strengths:    Climbs like a billy goat. Stiff as can be but i did add the lopez link.

Weaknesses:    RP23 i hate the rear shock WTF was fox trying to do. The shock has way to many settings and is way to complicated. Im not the only person to say this.... BUT... after tweaking and 2 months of hating it i found its sweet spot.

Bottom Line:
I hated the bike when i first bought it. When i bombed down hills super fast the bike wouldn't track straight and i would find myself off in the bushes. I changed the tires and played with the RP23 rear shock "i hate it" and i also bought a Lopez Link to stiffen the rear. It all worked. I found the sweet spot on the shock. Got way better larger tires for cornering and gripping up in my local area dirt and the Lopez Link added stiffness to the rear. Now the bike climbs like a bat out of hell and zooms down trails without drifting all over the freekin place. HONEST MOMENT HERE..... The bike brings me inner peace now that i worked out the kinks. BUY ONE AND TUNE IT TO YOUR STYLE.

Favorite Trail:   Clementine loop

Purchased At:   Victory Valero

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR Elite

Bike Setup:   X-9 component group. Industry Nine hubs...so sexy. Race Face atlas cranks. Fox Float 32 in front. RP23 rear shock

Submitted by pjm a Cross Country Rider from PC UT

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2011

Strengths:    All-carbon constr.-no more broken aluminum frames(I hope)
Smooth look. Rubber paint(chip resist) DW link. Very cool design..

Weaknesses:    None so far...Carbon frames are so very succeptible to rock damage. To eliminate this potential, I just smeared clear Silicon Glue under the downtube, BB, and forward swingarm areas 1/4" thick to protect from rock damage...do not ding the carbon!!! I suggest this to all carbon frame owners....This provides dense rubber protection that is bulletproof!!!!!

Bottom Line:
I break all aluminum frames within one year, and I never leave the ground or crash.(200lbs+) I was looking for a frameset which had a bit more travel and was not ALUMINUM beercan construction-every one of which are MADE TO FAIL. I have destroyed and would destroy ALL aluminum beercan frames and after one or two warranty replacements, the ALU TAIWAN frame makers refuse to help me any more!!(ie-KONA)
Once I stopped thinking about the new ride, and finally adjusted to it I was way faster than usual on a multitude of Singletrack loops..scary faster. It didnt feel like it!
It didn't feel quick or snappy at first, as the frame/fork seemed a bit "dead". I'll use another word to describe it...."suave"-smooth. I believe the reported rear end flex feel in smoother turns is just suspension feedback, and NOT FRAME FLEX!! I will revisit this within one year, and if this frame holds up, I will give 5chilis all around.

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   2nd hand

Similar Products Used:   many many aluminum FS frames which I have broken every one of...NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Bike Setup:   custom.-W/Fox Talas FIT RLC 110-150mm

Submitted by sardonicus a Cross Country Rider from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    light weight, beauty, supple suspension

Weaknesses:    a bit flexy for heavier riders

Bottom Line:
I sampled many a bike before settling on the Ibis. There are many good bikes out there and this bike has a particular personality that takes some time to uncover. The carbon frame, rear triangle and DW link conspire to give the sensation of flex in the rear (this is with the Lopes link). But, as I've gotten used to it, I've grown to like it. It feels like the snap of a tennis racquet when you hit the sweet spot. The bike whips around corners unlike any others I've tested and the lightweight snappiness makes this bike feel very much like a proper XC bike with lots of travel and an eager willingness to jump things. I typically ride 3-4 days per week, I weigh 170lbs and ride hard and fast. I've ridden this bike all over MA, NH and VT at nearly every notable riding spot. This bike has not broken, fallen materially out of tune or given me anything but a good time. I do wish it had a more slack headtube angle, but then this would be a different bike altogether. In general I'm very pleased with this bike and would recommend it. 3 chili's for value, cause this bike is no bargain basement. But 5 chili's overall cause it IS a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   fellowship of the wheel

Purchased At:   wrenchscience

Similar Products Used:   appropriate competitors from Turner,Santa Cruz, Ellsworth, Giant, Pivot, Specialized and more

Bike Setup:   wrenchscience XT package

Submitted by pluzall a Cross Country Rider from san francisco

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2011

Weaknesses:    lower link bearing had play - could be fixed - replaced with new one by shop
- frame is not very stiff, even with lopes link
Frame alignement - swingarm wasnt centered
overall fit and finish of carbon frame a bit sloppy for a high-end frame

Bottom Line:
bottom line is this bike was a disappointment - i really wanted to like it - but it never felt right - might be a "its not you baby, its me" situation - im amazed how much positive reviews this bike gets
Handling was off - tried all kind of tires - i could never trust the bike in turns- had a tendency to quickly wash out in the front - bike never felt intuitive, felt dead
It has some weird hesitance in drive train when climbing over steps, like old school pedal feedback of a high pivot design
Switched to a blur xc carbon recently- (with less travel...) and wow - its like a revelation - WAY faster uphill - and im im faster downhill - even with the "whimpy" 4 " travel - Blur holds lines the ibis can only dream off - handling is telepathic
- i'd be curious to ride the Blur SLR - they might have adresses the stiffness issue, with through axle in back etc - and with an angleset - the weird steering could be sorted out...

Favorite Trail:   mt tam

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   multiple horst link designs, turner bikes, blur xc carbon

Bike Setup:   fox talas rlc, xtr, avid ultimate, DT swiss 240 w tubeless mavic 819 rim, thompson sp, thompson stem

Submitted by Big Dipper a Weekend Warrior from Rossland

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2011

Strengths:    .

Weaknesses:    .

Bottom Line:
So here’s my first mountain bike review. I just picked up a Mojo SL. Got the chance to peddle one after the inaugural ride of an man week trip to Idaho. Max from the Idaho Salmon Cyclery saw our BC plates and pulled us out of the pub for a second lap down raw fresh trail linking to game trails from the 7000’ local fire tower to the north fork of the Salmon River. I don’t know if it was just not knowing the trails or the near death experiences of the stampeding massive bovine or rattlers, but Max always pulled away on his Ibis within the first few turns. Over the winter I was jonesing for a replacement to my 5 year old Intense 5.5 I had since mvong to Rossland from North Van and started cruising the net. Checked out the NSMB beta on the Mojo from Sharon’s review to Obsession’s recommendation as a great Shore XC ride. Also checked out the styly rides posted on MTBR, then decided to pull the trigger.

So I'm now sitting pretty with the Matte black SL pretty much with a stock XT build plus a Talus 32, stem and headset upgades and a KS adjustable post. Back here in Rossland I was waiting on the snow to melt after the lifts stopped turning and ending the easy turns, I finally hit Spring Cleaning for the inaugural ride after the crew shovelled out the snow to open conditions. Flew up the hill like I was in mid-summer form on this light rig and caught a couple padding up at the trailhead with full face, goggles and pads. They gave me a courtesy nod sussing me out clipped into the mint showroom Mojo and turned tail as not to let the XC gimp ruin their holeshot. I gave them a couple of minutes then gave chase to reeled them in through the rocks and squire pass just to flat a minute later. Stan’s goo flying everywhere for a while but things firmed up with some pumping and I was on my way again....everything all twitchy, though understandably as this bike was lighter than the modified hard tail I cut my teeth on on the Shore. Ended up spreading out the inaugeral sortie further than anticipated given the fun factor and easy peddling. Overall first impressions: 1) cabble routing was an eyesore but was soon forgotten, 2)sh1tty grips got to go, 3) lighter rubber from Cali isn’t enough for BC AM riding but save them for the US road trips, 4) I hope the Stan’s Arch rims take the abuse with fatter rubber, 5) otherwise everything was crazy fast, up and down, and plush all over. I expect I'll be able to push this bike well past my limits real soon. I give 'er 4 chillies on either side until I know more. Once dialed in, I'll give an update.

Favorite Trail:   7 Summits

Purchased At:   Revolution

Similar Products Used:   .

Bike Setup:   .

Mojo SL or SL-R with 27.5 Front and 26" Rear? Anyone?

I like the ride of both my 26" Mojo HD and 650b TRc bikes. I also like the fit and weight of the Mojo SL or SL-R. Why not combine both? I'd rather put 27.5 on the rear too but the SL or SL-R won't fit my tire choice, the Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35. Anyone run this combo of 27.5 front and 26" rear?Read More »

Will a 12x135 rear wheel fit a 10x135 Mojo SL?

I'm looking to get some new wheels for my Mojo SL and really like the Mavic Crossmax SLR wheelset. However, the SL comes with 10x135, and the SLR's are 12x135--and it doesn't look like Mavic makes an adapter. Anyone know if these wheels will work with the SL? Thanks!Read More »

Mojo SL, blown Fox RP2. 2014 Float X?

This weekend I was riding hard the Mojo Sl Special blend, and apparently somehow moved the lockout lever while descending. Later I found my shock leaking oil, with the lever stuck between the descend and propedal option. I managed to move it to propedal, but can't move it back out. Also the rebound ... Read More »

Mojo SL Owners, Tell Me About it!?

I'm looking into making a 650b Mojo SL build. I've currently got a Trc 650b'd and 26" HD. Rocking the TRc 650b but prefer the DW link. SO I thought why not a 140mm SL DW-link 650b build. That will be lighter than a modified 650b HD. You boys that have 650b'd your SL, tell me your experiences if ... Read More »

Reached in the Mojo SL Special Blend grab-bag, here's the build I got...

I just ordered one of these for my GF (she's a lucky lady). First off, has the Special Blend been discontinued? I didn't see it on the Ibis site. Second off, the build I got was a bit different from what was described on the Competitive Cyclist website. The good: Deore brakes (instead of Eli ... Read More »