Ibis Mojo SL-R All Mountain Full Suspension

The Ibis Mojo SL-R is the end all be all for a lightweight efficient pedaling cross-country bike. The Ibis bikes as a whole are extremely versatile and can be built in many custom configurations. This machine was built for destroying the almost impossible climb.

Ibis Mojo SL-R All Mountain Full Suspension Pro Review

The Ibis Mojo Mojo SL-R is indeed the new Ibis bike for 2011. It is a 140mm travel all mountain bike that incorporates all the latest technologies and standards. No, it’s not a 29er or 650b and yes, it is another 140mm bike in the Ibis line-up. So while it’s not the most ground breaking new product intro around, it really is a a very good evolution of the Ibis Mojo line. Continue reading →

Submitted by TheRedMantra a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2012

Strengths:    The bike is aesthetically pleasing. From any angle it looks like a work of art. Mine is orange and the color is outrageous. It really pops in the sun.

The bike is available as a frame or in many configurations so it can be easily customized.

It handles very well. I always feel stable on the downhills and in the techiest shyte.

ibis is well known for their above and beyond attitude when it comes to customer service. I feel comfortable dealing with them and I believe that they will do right by me as best as they can.

Weaknesses:    The finish is not so bueno. When installing the bb in the first frame ibis sent me the paint around the bb shell cracked. The paint was also chipped a bit on the top of the head tube around the hole for the headset. The frame came with some minor cosmetic defects but nothing really noteworthy in my opinion. I do not know that paint cracking is a common problem but I have read about the same issue on a silver frame that belongs to another forum member.

The frame was quite a bit heavier than the claim ibis made when it announced the bike.

The cost is hard to justify when there are cheaper bikes that perform very similarly.

Bottom Line:
The frame is over ibis' initial claimed weight, however it is still light enough for me. The frame is strong and it performs well. It is nimble, agile and stiff. I have been riding mountain bikes regularly for 13+ years and in that time I have ridden many types of them. This frame is responsive and can handle most obstacles I am capable of overcoming and presumably those obstacles far beyond my capacity to comfortably navigate.

The quality of the paint is disappointing. I put my deposit down two weeks after ibis announced the bike and I wanted an orange one. I waited ten months and finally got it in February of this year. When the guys at my local shop and ibis (via email and phone) inspected the crack they deemed it to be cosmetic and not structural. Without even waiting for me to ask ibis offered to send another orange frame my way when they had some more inflow. They said it would be fine to ride the one they sent and when the new one became available they sent it to me at no cost. ibis even paid for the shop (different shop than where I bought it) to strip the first bike down and to build up my new frame. They also covered shipping both ways.

The bike is absolutely gorgeous. I get a lot of comments about how unique it looks. I am a big fan of bikes that not only ride amazingly but do so in a style that suits me.

The wait was agonizing. There is no excuse for taking so long. I really hope ibis has learned some valuable lessons from this ordeal. I do not know what the wait is like now or if there even is one. What people should realize is that early adopters chose to buy what they buy. I did feel a little led on by overly optimistic lead times but at no time was I being refused a full refund on my deposit. From my understanding ibis does not get any money until the frames are shipped to the dealers. They have been amazingly responsive to the battery of questions in the forums here on mtbr and to many phone calls and emails from eager purchasers. They stand behind their products and have been in the mountain bike industry a long time.

The bike handles like a dream. I feel that ibis put a lot into this bike. Some call it trendy because it has the same geometry as the SL but the newer features that are "must haves" like the 12x142mm maxle, bb92, tapered headtube. Is the bike overkill for your average xc rider? Yes. Is the bike a downhill monster? No. Does the bike do what I want it to do? If by that I mean does it not only comfortably float uphill but glide down? Yes, it certainly does. I have ridden the bike around Flagstaff, AZ this spring and this summer have spent a good bit of time riding in South Florida (Oleta, Markham, Amelia so far). ibis' designers used input from some amazing pro riders and testers. It was not built purely for looks. This is really a do everything bike for me. It does feel like overkill for much of the riding in and around Miami but it still rides amazingly well here. When I take the bike to some real mountains I have what I need and then some.

The cost does put a lot of people off. Remember that you are not only buying the bike but the customer support you should expect to receive at that pricepoint. I do wish the warranty were a bit longer but I can dig it.

The reason I gave a value of 4 instead of 5 is because of the quality of the paintjob. I could have bailed on the bike and got a Pivot or something along those lines. I wanted the ibis and I wanted the color I got. ibis offered me other colors around October when I thought I couldn't hold off any longer. I had parts laying around waiting for a frame. It was very frustrating. I was the one who decided I could wait as long as it would take. I do feel that some of the lead times were optimistic early on, but after a while ibis was straightforward with me and said that they couldn't give me an accurate estimated delivery date. I really wish the finish was better. On my second frame the paint is chipped around the headset. I must remind myself that it is only a mountain bike, destined to be chipped and scratched. After defiling a few Kleins it bothers me less than it would have ten years ago, but a poor quality paintjob reflects poorly on the quality of the bike and the company who produced it.

The reason I gave it a 4/5 overall score was because as nice as the bike is, when based solely on performance I feel that the bike is rather pricey. Customer service is terrific. Is dealing with ibis better than dealing with Specialized, Giant, Cannondale and many of the other big'uns? In my experience yes. Does that mean that those companies offer poor customer service? Not at all. Also ibis gave me a nice gift for putting in my deposit in April of last year and waiting so long for the bike.

Please remember that when people build/buy bikes that are this expensive they are often not motivated by logic but by passion. If you're going to hate, hate for a good reason. Hate the performance. Hate the service. Don't hate the bikelust.

Favorite Trail:   Shultz Creek (Flagstaff, AZ)

Duration Product Used:   6+ months

Purchased At:   Sunnyside Sports, Be

Similar Products Used:   Mojo SL
Mojo HD

Bike Setup:   Magura Thor T140 with 20mm Maxle
Hope Pro II hub with Mavic ex721 rims
Raceface SixC Crankset (36t)
XT 9 spd cassette, Saint m810 shifter and rear derailleur
MRP 1.X guide
Canfield Bros Crampon pedals
EC90 Post w/ wtb saddle
Point 1 Racing split second stem w/ Haven carbon bars and ESI chunky grips

Submitted by Argentiere a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2012

Strengths:    Black/blue Medium frame: mine fortunately was well painted and finished: 140 Fox Float R Kashima forks: Canecreek angleset set to 68 degrees: (standard is 69): XTR race groupset build: 180mm disc on front and 160mm on rear: 40/28 double chainset with 11-36 Cassette: Crankbrothers Iodine 2 wheelset with Maxxis High Rollers: Easton Haven carbon riser bars with Crankbrothers stem: Rockshox Reverb seat post. Crankbrothers Candy C pedals. Fizik Gobi Muzzle XM saddle.
Super smooth suspension makes this bike a delight to ride: light enough to make it relatively easy and fast on the ascents and seriously good fun with super sensitive steering on the descents: soaks up the bumps and its traction and control even on the mud inspire confidence and a real desire to push it hard. Feels like it has massive potential and it is certain that I will give up before it does.....

Weaknesses:    XTR front derailleur does NOT work with original 44/28 XTR Crankset. Direct mount on the frame only allows it to sit at a maximium height that is insufficient and the derailleur catches on the 44T chainring when the chain is on the 28T ring. Had to replace 44T with 40T outer (but I believe 42T will also work). Also the standard 1300mm cabling on the Rockshox Reverb seat post is not quite long enough if cable routed under the downtube. Took a bit of adjustment to get the seatpost height to my liking.

Bottom Line:
Already own Trek Remedy, Cannondale Jekyll & Scott Genius Mc that are all very good rides and this is definitely on par with them. 5" travel front and rear makes it feel very smooth and has extremely quick responsive steering. A relatively recent acquisition and I confess I need to get it into Wales or in the Lakes to really push a hard 40-50 miler on it. But so far a superb machine and one I am proud to own. Looks the business especially with XTR build and Iodines.

Favorite Trail:   Cyffilliog Challenge Route

Duration Product Used:   Remedy 3yrs Jekyll 2ys Genius 7yrs

Similar Products Used:   Trek Remedy 9.9
Cannondale Jekyll Hi Mod 1
Scott Genius MC

Bike Setup:   Remedy 9.9 frame with XT and X9/XO components: Easton Haven Alloy Wheelset with Nobby Nics and KS 900i dropper post
Jekyll Carbon Hi Mod 1 (standard factory edition in Green)
Genius MC 20 frameset with XT/XTR componentry, Mavix Crossmax ST rims with Bontrager XD4s

Submitted by ramen_bowl a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2012

Strengths:    stiff, rear post mount brake tabs, 142mm rear axle, DW Link, customer serivce, aesthetics

Weaknesses:    paint finish (black/blue), didn't meet target weight, not compatible with all existing cranksets (only after it's shipped out did owners know)

Bottom Line:
Overall I have buyer’s remorse. I wish I had held off on purchasing the frame until I read some of the reviews of those who received the frame first. I have owned a Mojo SL and loved riding that bike, so I thought there’d be now issues since the SL-R had the same geometry and it was marketed as lighter then the SL. I was definitely excited to get the frame (black/blue), but when I inspected the frame the finish on the paint job was bad, I saw smudge marks on the frame, looked like someone pick it up while the paint was still drying. The lines on the blue stripes were poorly done too. Also noticed the cable stay on the back of the seat tube was moved from where it was on the first models shown. I feel it was moved too much because now the front derailleur housing cable touches the link. And like the previous reviewer, the frame didn’t meet the target weight. This was a big disappointment since I had spent a few dollars on lightweight components only for it's light weight to be negated from the extra fat the bike was carrying. I guess someone was a little too liberal on laying up the carbon. The shimano 38/26 crankset won’t work with the frame either, Ibis seems to push the triple crankset whenever someone mentions an issue with a shimano double crank.

Similar Products Used:   Mojo SL, Intence Tracer

Bike Setup:   XTR, Magura, Fox, Enve, Easton EC90 XC.

Submitted by ieeee! a All Mountain Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2012

Strengths:    Hey, It's carbon! Increased stiffness, lateral rigidity, Dw-Link system of suspension is a very effective design. Takes the best of both the SL Mojo and marries it with the unique qualities of the Mojo HD. Tapered head tube, 142x12 rear maxle, and rear post mount brake platform.
Promising nature.

Weaknesses:    Ow! Damn... well I think they are summed up in " The Bottom Line" for the most part; the inability to dial in a preferable chain line depending on performance rather than customer preference- to cut an argument short right there. Ibis relying on a separate factory to do their production, resulting in QC problems, unresolved and previous short comings w their frames. Not hitting the marks set by the bike's debut; and claims set one year ago. Engineering faults resulting in incompatibility w certain Sram and Shimano Cranks.
My Medium came in at 6 ounces over 5lb, for what is supposed to be a sub 5lb frame- not good. Their selected Shenzhen factory was rushed too, could meet demand thus CQ problems, out of spec. Carbon mold to finish not the greatest, including paint.
HTA could have been pushed out at least 1/2 degree to 68.5, tho I know Ibis says it is a RACE bike ( angle-setting headsets: CC, FSA, Works Components i.e, completely embraced, pushed, so you multiplying All Mountain types will want to buy a SL-R too!!!
Severe Fan-boy following thus allowing unremitting mistakes, unmet promises. Typical California savoir-vivre style PR brought to you ultimately by Chinese no-nonsense-work-ethic & price (well, not YOUR price). Last- and -in this case THE least, I have seen, felt, better carbon finish. Where that begins...? At least you could say...it's aesthetic!

Bottom Line:
My SLR came in six ounces over 5lbs, certainly not a sub 5; wish it was 4.85 medium. And if they utilized XTR 2x set ups, it certainly wasn't a 38/26 Trail version ( which by the way is a preferable chain-line for sure), no direct mount derail works. Irregardless of brand; the derailleur either bottoms-out on the frame, or the lower frame linkage swings up and hits it. Considering an optimal chain-line can not be had w a 2x, maybe 3X, even a 1X if the ring is relatively large, this...um...sucks, especially if using the newer standard/usage of 36 low cog in back, generally in a 10 speed stack.

Ibis was thrown a BIG FAT GIFT in the form of the Shimano Plus rear derailleur...much greater tension on the chain from the clutched cage. So, Ibis can sweat less of all the complaint of dropped chains and premature chain suck (which they dedicate a whole section to in their bike instruction manual; a how-to in keeping the chain in the very best shape w/o admitting the prevalence of suck BECAUSE of their carbon frames, at least the HD, SL, SLR). The QC is so-so, if you also include paint, molding consistency in lay-up and weight, and engineering.

Some customers are waiting till June 2012 for certain sizes/colors for a 2011 release.

So what could have been a Home Run, I give the bike a sliding double. Might sound harsh, but too bad considering it's primarily a second, even third generation bike for them. No excuses.

Favorite Trail:   N. Umpqua

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Mojo SL, Santa Cruz Nomad and Heckler, Trek Remedy long term test, Various Intense models, and other various VPP's. Pivot Mach 5.7...........

Bike Setup:   Revelation XX 150mm dual air, XTR Trail brakes w Ice Tech rotors 160/180, Easton Havens & Sun/Ringle' Black Flag Pro for race. Thompson rigid post and Joplin 4, Silverado, Vigo, Devo Saddles, Easton 70 Carbon bars uncut.
The components all measured up; the Shimano Trail 2x crank and the XTR Trail brakes are great. Again, The Shimano XTR Plus is a grace from heaven, ESPECIALLY for Ibis, for the infamous trait (above average -you got to freakin' admit- along w chain suck)
This derailleur even has an adjustable clutch!

Submitted by rriveroll a All Mountain Rider from Caracas, Venezuela

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2012

Strengths:    Very light for a 150mm bike. Very stiff aswell. Very efficient Climber with little squat when pedaling uphill. Very confortable.

Weaknesses:    I would say my old Ellsworth Epiphany has slightly better traction and slightly better Downhill characteristics. But maybe its just me adjusting to the DWLink or the Continental Mountain King tyres I am using (Im used to Kenda Nevegals)

Bottom Line:
I love my Ellswotyn Epiphany that ive beed riding for 2 years, but this Isib SL-R is light years away in terms of pedaling efficiency. It hadles very well and its a rocket.

I think Ill keep both, one for going up (IBIS) and one for going down (EPI).

Favorite Trail:   Paulinos, San Luis, MM

Purchased At:   Inversiones Bicicamp

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Epiphany SST, Trek Fuel 9.9EX
Tried a coulple 29ers before buying the IBIS, but felt like handling was no fun on them.

Bike Setup:   IBIS SL-R Large, Fox Talas 150, Stans Flow Rims with Chris King hubs. XTR Drivetain, Formula The One FR Brakes, Joplin 4 Seatpost, Continental mountain king 2.2 Tires. Cane Creek Angleset with 1.5 degrees cup.

Currently only at 26 pounds, but will put on a diet next week (XTR Brakes, Stans Arch EX Rims, DTSwiss Revolution Spokes) that should save about another pound. Will post when done.

Submitted by dfioc a Weekend Warrior from Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2011

Strengths:    Where to start? Stiffness, comfort/agility on any type of terrain, slick looks.

Weaknesses:    None! Simply an amazing bike.

Bottom Line:
I ordered this bike in April and was only able to pick it up less than a week ago. This review is based on only one ride but what a ride it was! The stiffness, ability to roll up and over any type of terrain with ease coupled with its sweet looks makes my 8 month wait well worth it! I do have to switch to a different stem but that takes nothing away from the eagerness with which the SLR wants to get out and climb or descend. Never believed that a 6 inch bike would feel so fast!

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list

Purchased At:   The Bike Company

Similar Products Used:   This is my first Ibis. Have ridden Giants (Trance X0 and Anthem X0) in the past.

Bike Setup:   Frame is medium with blue links; Fox RP23 Kashima shock; Fox Talas 150 Kashima fork; Cane Creek headset; FD/RD/Shifters/Pedals are Shimano XTR; Shimano XT cassette; Magura Marta SL brakes; Easton EC90 bar; Easton Haven stem; Rock Shox Reverb post; WTB Rocket SLT saddle; Stans Crest rims; Chris King hubs; Kenda Nevegal F/R tires.

Submitted by steve a Cross Country Rider from livermore,ca..usa

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2011

Strengths:    It does everything well, climbs, decends, you name it.

Weaknesses:    none. I had a mojo sl and my only complaints was frame stiffness and a 69 degree head angle. Those problems are gone with the SLR. The cane creek angle set put my head angle at 68 instead of 69. The bike feels almost as stiff as my HD.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome. I really dont see how a bike can get any better. No BS! You cant go wrong with one of these, even if you cant afford an xtr build. An slx or xt build is still better than 90 percent of the stuff out there. It climbs like a great 120mm bike and decends like great 150mm bike. PERIOD.

Favorite Trail:   United States-demo forest in santa cruz

Purchased At:   castro valley cycler

Similar Products Used:   mojo sl and HD. i have em both.

Bike Setup:   Full xtr 3 by 10. easton ec 90 carbon wheels. All the best and it rides like it. Only weakness with the setup is the guy riding it.