Ibis Mojo HD All Mountain Full Suspension

4.85/5 (41 Reviews)

The Ibis Mojo HD is the bike of all bikes, the jack of all trades; from crushing the KOM to smashing your favorite local descent this able bodied stallion is tough to beat. Compatible with both a 140mm travel or a 160mm travel rear shock the Ibis Mojo HD can be built in many different ways. Paired with a 140mm or 150mm fork the HD 140 is perfect for most trail riding applications. Paired with a 160mm or 180mm fork the Ibis Mojo HD 160 can be found airborne cruising effortlessly over even the most technical descents.

Submitted by Eder a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2014

Strengths:    Lateral stiffness, pedal efficiency, suspension, weight, geometry, dh capability.

Weaknesses:    Hummm, I really don't notice weakness in this amazing bike.

Bottom Line:
I've had many full suspension bikes. This is the art state trail/am bike. I use Fox 36 180 air and CCDB CS air, what makes the Mojo HD be so good almost as DH specific machines. After many years, finally, I believe had met my definitive "do it all" bike.

Favorite Trail:   Blackcomb

Purchased At:   Brazil

Similar Products Used:   Specialized SJ FSR, Cannondale Moto, GT Fury Carbon, Evil Undead Carbon, Remec WC Carbon, UMF Freddy,

Bike Setup:   Formula brakes, KS seat post , Fox 36 180 air Talas, tubeless Continental 2.25 tires, CCDB air CS, hope hubs, Chromag handlebar, full Sram XX, E13 chainguide.

Submitted by Leah a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2013

Strengths:    Once tuned feels good to ride

Weaknesses:    Cost of bike, build, IBIS CUSTOMER SERVICE

Bottom Line:
I will admit that this bike rides very well, however the build of the bike is somewhat suspect and after a year of moderate riding the bike has and is falling apart. Wheels, shocks, pivot bearings, etc have all had major service. Even worst is dealing with Ibis to rectify and issues. Not returning emails or phone calls or providing little guidance seems to be the norm... Looks as if Ibis is headed down the road of other boutique brands - High cost / poor service.

Duration Product Used:   1.25 yrs

Bike Setup:   Fox 36 Talas, DHX4, Stans Flow, XT build

Submitted by Eric H a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, Looks, Ability to do all and do it well, almost zero pedal bob, etc etc etc

Weaknesses:    Cane Creek 40 headset sucks that came with it, OE tires leave something to be desired, and It wasnt free???

Bottom Line:
Ive ridden and owned a ton of top name bikes. Im one of those guys that cant help himself and gets new bikes more than I should until now. I will not own another bike, period. I snagged a great deal on an upgraded 2012 Mojo HD 160 with XT components, upgraded wheels, Float 36 RC2/Float RP23 Kashima and Easton Carbon bars for under $4000 shipped new. This bike just blows me away. It can climb better than most every XC bike Ive owned, It descends better than any AM bike Ive ever owned. It weighs in right around 27lbs which for a 160mm travel bike with heavy duty components is incredible.

The one suggestion I have, go with a 1x or 2x drive-train option like the SRAM XO. Mine came with the 3x10 XT and honestly you just don't need all those extra gears on this bike plus it made chain slap/drop chains an issue. Tires aren't the best and also the Cane Creek 40 headset is pretty crappy, doesn't stay tight.

Other than those few issues this bike is honestly a do it all bike. I am impressed every time I take it out. The DW suspension is stunning, literally almost no pedal bob. Not to mention the aesthetics of this bike, I get stopped all the time on the trail asking about it. Just a piece of artwork if you ask me.

Similar Products Used:   Most of the major brands of AM and XC bikes

Submitted by Javier a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2012

Strengths:    Look, good climber, rigid, customer support

Weaknesses:    My front Talas comes with a lot of stinction, when service it it perfoms very well, BUT the rear travel it´s too linerar. I solved that with the fox volume reducer, it will be cool with a little bit lower BB area (personal preference)

Bottom Line:
Awesome rig

Favorite Trail:   Jlo

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Ibis Chile

Submitted by manchvegas

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2012

Strengths:    IMO The mojo HD is the most versatile bike on the market, let me count the ways...
set up as 140mm rear to 140-160mm front or 160 rear with 160-180 front....
Can be set up for xc as complete 140 at around 24-25 lbs
or run as full DH with coil front and rear 160mm rear and 180mm front.
can be run with anything inbetween those two extremes. I use my bike for everything from xc to straight up jump park lift access trails.

Weaknesses:    I guess if I had to give it some weaknesses it would be how it comes stock, with three ring or 2 ring front chainring and no chainguide. though easily fixed.

Bottom Line:
I have been on my Mojo HD for over a year now and have it set up 1x10 with the mrp G2 chainguide. I set it up with 160 rear and 160mm front for all around trail rides and I bought a 180mm coil fork for running at the park days. with dropper post and 180mm coil fork the bike is still stupid light at 31lbs which is great for a very capable DH/park bike. I will say every bike I've owned before my Mojo HD there was something I really didn't like and always wanted something different/better. I can honestly say now, I don't really care for another bike, I see myself keeping this bike for years to come. The biking industry will have to do something seriously drastic to improve on frame technology to get me to even think about trying anything else for a long time... thanks IBIS!!

Submitted by rompemonster a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2012

Strengths:    Plush and great 'round' pedaling. Closest to a do-it-all bike I've experienced as XC + uphill is doable due to low weight (my setup is at 12.5kg with 2x10 and 2.4" tires) and pedaling efficiency (despite long travel). Work with 650 so you can change the bike entirely by changing wheelset. Finishing is great and so is the Instruction book...

Weaknesses:    some limitations on FD direct mount set-ups (chain-rings) but that can be accommodated if selecting other FD mountings. Does not have ICG tabs (not that that bothers me as I have the xtr Shadow RD ;)
for a rider at ~180cm you probably will find yourself in the upper range of M and the lower of L (which can be pro so you can actually choose frame size upon your riding style :)

Bottom Line:
After 6 months I couldn't be happier -the bearings are mostly easy to clean and more-over when/if to be replaced it is extremely easy (never seen any bike where replacement is that straight-forward and standard). Riding wise it is second to none in the 160 range

Favorite Trail:   TW2, Puncak, Bogor

Purchased At:   Private

Similar Products Used:   Spesh Enduro
(and tried a host of other in the same range before ending up with Mojo HD)

Bike Setup:   XTR group trail/race groupset (2x10), Bos Deville, Podium MMX f + Alpine r w. i9 classic; Conti X-King RaceSport 2.4/Hans Dampf Trail* 2.35 (both tubeless); enve 800 bar + renthal grips; reverb -all clocking in with pedals at 12.5kg

Submitted by James a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2012

Strengths:    Best Bike Ever

Weaknesses:    Best Bike Ever

Bottom Line:
This bike replaced my V10 and I haven't touched my Ti hardtail this year. All of the previous reviews say it all. Amazing climber and quick agile descender. Yes a DH bike will blow it away in reality, and a hardtail or XC bike will out climb it. But this bike makes riding fun again overall. Just enough plush to haul ass downhill and it climbs up like a XC FS did on 3 year ago technology. Its expensive, but 3 bikes is more expensive. Be happy like me again and buy this bike.

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Switch, Santa Cruz V10, second gen Aluminum Nomad, various hard tails.

Bike Setup:   180 mm Totem, Vivid Air, 1 X 9 setup,

Submitted by Brian_Pal a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2012

Strengths:    Mild-mannered, stiff, lightweight, pedals well, descends well. The versatility of being about to run in 140mm mode for trail riding or put a 180mm fork up front for resort riding is outstanding.

Weaknesses:    Cable routing - it could use internal routing for a dropper post like the reverb stealth, and not a huge fan of how they route cables on top of the top tube.

The RP23 that comes with the bike is 'ok', I am getting along with it for now but I will definitely upgrade at some point. For a bike of this caliber I think a more tunable rear shock is almost a necessity.

Solid builds on this bike don't come cheap.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a true all-arounder. Mine is set up to be pretty light (27.75 lbs), but with components that can be ridden hard. I dont feel disadvantaged at the weekly XC rides, and also take it to the lift-served resort on the weekends.

Before I purchased it I demo'd the Yeti SB-66 twice, as well as the Pivot Mach 5.7C. While both the Yeti and Pivot are outstanding bikes, the Ibis stood out to me as the superior bike. It's combination of weight, strength, stiffness, and pedaling characteristics is unmatched. I've demo'd a quite a few bikes and the HD stands out as the best bike I have ever ridden.

Favorite Trail:   Chimney Gulch / Apex

Purchased At:   Wheel Power Cycles -

Similar Products Used:   Yeti SB-66, Pivot Mach 5.7C, Intense Tracer VP, Intense 6.6, Transition Dirtbag

Bike Setup:   Brakes: XT 780 Ice Tech
Fork: 2013 Fox Float 36 RC2
Weight: 27.75 lbs

Submitted by Salespunk a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2012

Strengths:    Climbing - Goes up much faster than any of my previous shorter travel bikes which include a Tracer VP and Epiphany. This is not "it feels faster", the times are GPS verified.
Descending - Absolutely crushes my previous bikes which is to be expected. I also considered and rode a NomadC before purchasing and while the Nomad was more plush, I don't think it was any quicker.
Stiffness is off the charts with the Carbon and the 12 mm through axle rear. The attention to detail in the finish is amazing as well. Flexibility is second to none with the ability to run 140 or 160 travel in addition to 650b wheels. I have not ridden anything but 160/26", but have friends with 140 and or 650b.

Weaknesses:    The RP23 is overmatched by the abilities of this bike. I did not realize it until I demoed a Monarch Plus RC3 and the difference was night and day. Also I believe the low rebound tune on the RP23 leads to premature failure. A lot of people are running rebound almost maxed out on the RP23's which is leading to cavitation in the shock. Have had this happen on two different RP23's and also broke some sort of rod in one of them.

The only other weakness is that four of my riding buddies have now bought HD's after riding mine so we look a bit weird going down the trail.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely incredible bike both up and down. Several people in my group are now riding HD's. One of them came off an older Trek Fuel with 120 mm of travel and he swears the HD climbs better. I have used GPS on my bikes for the last three years and can state that without question it climbs faster than my old bikes. The only weakness I see in this bike is the rear shock. Ibis should really make something else optional whether it is from Rockshox or Cane Creek. Some people claim that the Nomad is a better descending bike, but I would disagree. It might be more plush, but it is not any quicker. The Nomad/VPP bikes sit lower in the travel which slackens the bike but that has nothing to do with speed going downhill. Also demoed an SB66, but think that it was really let down by the 32 on the front.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with chunk

Purchased At:   Cal Coast Cycles

Similar Products Used:   NomadC Demo, Yeti SB66 Demo, Tracer VP (previous bike ridden in 150 mode), Ellsworth Epiphany

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Easton Haven Carbon wheels, Formula The One brakes, Reverb Dropper

Submitted by Huck Pitueee a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2012

Strengths:    The bike squirts foreward when you stomp on it. Great for out of saddle pedaling. Laterally ridgid. Good geometry for agressive riding. Good price for frame only purchace compared to others including aluminum frames. Very good customer service. The bike pedals so well you don't need a granny gear for all mountain riding.

Weaknesses:    I had problems with pivot bearing life but Ibis sent new links with no problem. The stock RP23 was ok but an upgrade to a RS Monarch rc3 plus really made the bike more plush without sacrificing pedaling efficiency. Looks 1960's modern artsy.

Bottom Line:
After two years I love this bike like day one. I've been riding seriously since 1984 and this bike really stands out because of it's pedaling performance. Like people keep saying. It's like a hardtail.

Purchased At:   Laguna cycles

Bike Setup:   Totem solo air, Rockshox Monarch rc3 plus, One by ten drive with mrp chain guide.

Submitted by Ami a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2012

Strengths:    This is all in one bike that do it all. Climbs like an hard tail, descents like a DH bike, goes through rock garden without loosing the capability of continue pedaling and and moving on. It is an amazing bike!

Weaknesses:    None so far (well, the price)...

Bottom Line:
This is the bike I has been dreaming about for a while. They do it all and I cannot wait till my next ride every time.
Really recommended!

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro Expert 2008

Bike Setup:   Kit X9 used.

Submitted by OLEAJE a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Strengths:    -Climbs like a goat and descends like a rocket !!!!!! If you descend very hard and jump.. you could change your RP23 !!, remember this is a enduro bike no dh !!
-The most important advantage is: Ibis´s Customer service !!

Weaknesses:    -A little nervous bike because the wheelbase is short...
-Some times I've had my chain stuck between the front lower link bolt and small chain ring .

Bottom Line:
It´s a "All in One" bike !!!

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2008

Bike Setup:   2012 Mojo HD, Fox Talas160, Kit: XT,
3x 10

Submitted by Dustin

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, seems to balance uphill and downhill performance, looks good.

Weaknesses:    Stock RP23 is undersized and under performs on this bike, I'm a bit heavier (210) and had constant bottoming out issues and eventually blew the shock. There seems to be lots of chatter regarding this issue, somewhat surprised that Ibis hasn't responded. This bike apparently comes with other shock options however when contact, Ibis does not have these options available... swapping a shock out after purchase seems to be a bad option.
Wheels - The Stans wheels (ZTR Flows) which come stock with most build kits have not performed well at all, they seem to be plagued with issues resulting from the build quality of the wheel, ie. the spokes constantly come loose due to low spoke tension and not using spoke prep.
Foam grips - needless to say these suck, mine lasted less then a ride, begs the question, why would you put crap on 5k$ bike....
Cost - I think that this bike is a bit overpriced, I think there may be some other bikes at lower pricepoint which perform as well. Are we buying the bike for the name and topportunityity to talk about it around the water-coolMondayday.. or because it is a reliable good performance bike.

I have only had the bike for a couple weeks and it has been to the shop multiple times or been down due to waiting for things to be fixed... Perhaps this may be bad luck however I suspect that the issues experienced are more deep rooted in the design and spec of the bike.

Bottom Line:
So, so bike which requires some upgrading after purchase to make it really perform.

Favorite Trail:   Oasis Downhill, Rossland

Similar Products Used:   Nomad, Giant Reign,

Bike Setup:   Mojo HD, XT kit, ZTR wheels, reverb dropper, fox rp23 (replaced with an RC4) and Talus 36.

Submitted by skyno a All Mountain Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2012

Strengths:    Climbs exceptionally well, descends even better! This thing will eat up just about any terrain. It truly is the one bike solution - now I have to figure out what to do with all my other bikes that will just sit and collect dust.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, but worth every penny.

Bottom Line:
Best bike I've ever ridden

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Similar Products Used:   Ibis Mojo SL & SL-R, Specialized Stumpjumper, SC Blur & Nomad ,Yeti ASR-5

Bike Setup:   Medium Frame, Blue links, XT kit, Fox Float RP23 & Float 36 RLC Kashima 160, Specialized Henge Comp Saddle, Deore XT FC-M785 175mm 10-Spd 38X26T crankset, Deore XTR Shadow+ RD-M985 SGS 10-Spd, Deore XT CS-M771-10, 10-Spd 11-36T, CB Mallet pedals, Stan's Flow Rims, DT Competition Black spokes, Ibis Hubs (20mm through axle front/12 x 142mm through rear), Maxxis Ardent 26x2.4 Front &n26x2.25 Rear - tubeless

Submitted by Bunjinjohn a All Mountain Rider from SoCal

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2012

Strengths:    Climbs as well as my original Mojo, but goes downhill way better.

Weaknesses:    Fox RP23 was overmatched by this frame. I replaced it with a Cane Creek Double Barrel Air.

Bottom Line:
I had a 2007 Mojo, and Ibis seems to have done everything I wanted to change about the Mojo, making it a little slacker, a lot stiffer and with a little more travel. Even being a little heavier overall (29.5 vs. 30.5 pounds), this bike climbs just as good at the old Mojo, which means it's still great. Even changing to a wide bar with a stubby stem didn't harm climbing.

The Mojo HD is a different animal than the original Mojo. I replaced the rear shock with a Cane Creek Double Barrel Air, which really makes the bike come alive. Switching from the Mojo to the Mojo HD, I didn't realize how much faster on the downhills I'd be, even on familiar trails, so much so that I was overpowering the Fox RP23. I find myself landing farther out on jumps than I had on the Mojo. The CCDBA is simply a burlier, yet far more sophisticated shock with no stiction, right out of the box. It should be an option on the HD.

I've had no chain suck (which was an occasional problem with the 3x9 setup on the Mojo), let alone chain drop that some posters mentioned with SRAM drivetrains. The frame, fork and rear shock combination is perfect for the rough, rocky, mountainous terrain around here. This is simply an awesome, confidence-inspiring bike. I jokingly call it my "foolhardy" bike because it taunts me to try more foolhardy things. The bottom line is that I'm extremely happy with this bike. It's not cheap, but if you live to ride trails, it's worth it.

Purchased At:   CalCoast Bicycles