Ibis Mojo HD 140 All Mountain Full Suspension

Eagle-eyed scrutinizers of the Mojo HD have noticed the two removable tabs for the upper shock mount on the Mojo HD frame. A few of you have even surmised that this means we have some tricks up our sleeves as to what you can do with the Mojo HD and shocks and travel and such. You surmisers are right, we do have a couple of tricks up our sleeves. One is the the Mojo HD 140. By simply changing out the upper shock mounts (we're calling them Limbo Chips) and substituting a shock from the Mojo or Mojo SL (7.875" x 2" travel vs 8.5" x 2.5" for the HD), travel is reduced to 140mm, opening a new world of possibilities. Click on the details tab to the right for actual part numbers.
  • 140mm rear wheel travel
  • 68º head angle with 150mm travel fork
  • 6.1 lb frame
  • 13.5" BB height

Submitted by mazspeed a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff and strong, fast peddler, strong climber for an AM bike, Excels at downhills. Accurate and very well balanced.

Weaknesses:    Price, but all top flight frames are this much.

Bottom Line:
Ok, well I have tried many different bikes before I was able to get this one. I rode many Specialized epics, and stump jumpers, Santa Cruz Nomads, AL and carbons. Yetis and Trek's. I rode everything and the one l liked best other than the HD was the Stump jumper. The Nomad was close as well, but I was slower going up, and slower going down, and felt my energy was being wasted a bit more. Very plush bike though. The HD felt right, right off the bat. I demoed one out in Med and had a total blast. No backend flex, felt very fast downhill, about as fast as the Stump jumper and climbed a bit better.
I have had an issue with rear shocks as this bike is really too good for even my level, and I would say I am an advanced rider. You can pitch it in turns, and it's just a point and shoot, much like an Epic, it just feels lighter than it is. My bike is 28.5lbs and feels like 25. You can just throw it around and have total control. Not something you can do on a Nomad. Bike technology is great as you have a 140/160 bike that climbs as good as a cross country racer, yet you can do 10 foot drops on it and keep going. It's one of the very few bikes if not the only one that can do so many things so well. The only issue I have had is shock tuning. When you have a bike that can do everything so well, you need to pay more attention to shock tuning. The rp23 is a good shock, but it really needs to have a personal touch for that rider. A lot of bikes should have this done, and this is no exception. It is just an incredible frame.

Favorite Trail:   St joseph's hill, El Sereno,

Purchased At:   Ibis

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Santa Cruz, Yeti, Pivot, Ibis, Trek, Giant

Bike Setup:   Mojo HD 140mm, 150 Fit Fox fork, I9 wheels, full 2012 XTR drivetrain, hope brakes, jop 4 seatpost, twenty6 pedels

Submitted by dacarbon a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2011

Strengths:    Here's a laundry list of strengths of this bike:

- Dwlink, dwlink, dwlink. This suspension rocks.
- Carbon fiber, light and strong and stuff
- Long travel feeling on the downhills, taut on the uphills
- Front and rear thru-axles
- Near-perfect geometry for do-all riding
- Ibis customer service is top notch
- Stock build kit comes w/formula brakes and stan's wheels, AWESOME.
- Carbon fiber cable guides and anodized parts are cool!
- 1.5" tapered steerer tube is cool looking, as is the metal head badge

Weaknesses:    Um... it's kinda pricey. You can buy the SLX kit bike for $3300, sure, but that's not exactly the best spec and you'll not enjoy the lightweight gear with that build kit. Which is kind of a bummer.

There are no ISCG tabs, which is not a big deal for me but some people think that sucks.

There was a long wait for the black color - I had to wait 2 months. YMMV.

Bottom Line:
The HD 140 is an impressive blend of bikes. You get the stiff chassis of the HD with the more XC-oriented geometry of the SL, with a minimal weight penalty. With a little bit of imagination, you can make this a 25lbs bike for marathon racing and epic trail days, or you can build it up a little thicker and make a beastly all-mountain machine.

The whole time, you're going to enjoy all of the benefits of long-travel without any of the drawbacks. The bike pedals incredibly efficiently, too much to be real. It climbs technical singletrack like a goat, and it BOMBS like a rockstar. It loves to jump, it loves to carve, it's an all-around answer.

My friends all call this the cheater bike. Why? Cause it can descend like a longer-travel freeride bike, then pop the joplin up and you've got a climber's friend. In between, you can huck all the jumps and features you want and never feel any weakness in the frame or components - it is pure airtime bliss.

It is NOT the lightest bike out there, so if you are a weight weenie racer-type, you might wanna look elsewhere. Or get an SL WTF and you can get it down to 22.8 lbs, stock from the factory. But if you're a racer-type, you're probably not reading this review anyway.

Favorite Trail:   Warrior Creek, Dark Mountain, anything in Bend

Purchased At:   Cycling Spoken Here

Similar Products Used:   2006 Rocky Mountain Element 30, 2009 Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 29er hardtail, 2008 Stumpjumper FSR pro, 2010 Trek Fuel EX8, 2010 Trek Remedy 9.9, 1996 Trek 930 hardtail (yeargh!)

Bike Setup:   Stock XT build w/Talas 150/130 upgrade, Joplin 4R, Cane Creek 110 headset, Easton Haven carbon bars/stem swapped out for the stock stuff, Time ATAC pedals. 27.8 lbs loaded for bear, including pedals and stan's in the tires.

Submitted by akaktm a Weekend Warrior from Valencia, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2011

Strengths:    Coming off a Mojo SL and a Blur LT carbon, I was hoping to get the stiffness of the SC Blur Carbon (impressive stiffness) with the efficient pedaling of the SL coupled with slightly slacker angles. The HD hit the spot. For aggressive trail riding where you've got to turn the pedals to earn your turns, the HD is super. A fantastic compromise between pedaling platform and plushness.

It pedals more efficiently and with less bob than the Blur LTc and seems to be almost as efficient as the Mojo SL. The stiffness is on the same level as the Blut LTc.

Of course, the Mojo design is a classic as well with it's organic curves that look like they came straight from Maranello.

Weaknesses:    Of course, it's pricey buy you knew that already. It's also heavier than the Blur LTc and the Mojo HD--but again this is expected. That's why there is an SL.

I could not locate a good set-up guide for the bike and mine didn't come with one. The back brake is tricky until you realize that removing the upper suspension link and rear shock mount is the key.

Finally, the RP23 doesn't seem ideal for this application, but I haven't had enough time to dial in the settings, so I'll reserve final judgement and try to report back.

Bottom Line:
First, Marshall at Uranium Cycles in Moab was awesome to deal with!

Coming of a Mojo SL and Blur LT Carbon made for very high expectations for this bike. I wan't unhappy with either the Blur or the SL, but I like to tinker and experiment. I wanted to have a bike with the efficient platform and general geometry of the SL with the stiffness of the Blur. Owning a Blur LTc showed me that the SL, although adequately stiff, was far less stiff than the Blur and I liked the confidence from the stiffness of the Blur. So, I wanted a great pedaling platform for the climbs with a deep and smooth suspension. The HD is as close as I've found.

The HD pedals wonderfully and climbs nearly as well as my SL, but is noticeably stiffer. The HD pedals more efficiently than the Blur LTc, and seems nearly as plush over the small stuff and feels as bottomless as the VPP on bigger hits. Over the small stuff, I'd say the VPP has a small edge, but that's what suspension design is about-trading off small compromises. I do think the RP23 is adequate, but not great in this application. May need to visit PUSH or may need to see what the guys at Marzocchi can come up with.

I've only got four rides on the bike. If any of my opinions change, I'll update later. If you are hesitating, don't! Order now.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list