Ibex Bicycles Atlas Pro All Mountain Full Suspension

• Saddle: WTB Pure V Race FR
  • Pedals: Shimano M520 SPD Clipless

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Woodstock, GA USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2007

Strengths:    this is a follow up on a review from March 07. I now have over 800 miles on the Pro. I am 6' and 200 lbs. (L&F Society Member)
The ride is still VERY sweet. I would have thought I would have bent, broken or wrecked something by now. I have had some amazing crashes on this beast and I have luckily avoided all the big trees and boulders in those wrecks. I have also SAVED countless near wrecks, while careening down the hills!

I did replace the stock WTB Pure V seat as I bent the rails. So did my riding buddy (225 lbs), but a WTB Ti is doing well . Outside of that, I have only replaced the chain when it wore below the wear indicator tool. I anticipated replacing the cassette and cables, but not yet. I had to change the stock tires to Panaracers as I was getting a rash of high speed pinch blow outs and nearly ate a tree on one front blow out.
All else is still working flawlessly.
Your bike is only as good as the components and these ROCK!

Weaknesses:    Had 12+ blow outs with the stock tires in 600 miles and none in the last 200+ with the Panaracers.
WTB stock seat bent within 200 miles. Go to Ti rails if over 175 lbs.
Manitou Minute SPV fork does not seem to adjust well to small bumps, but can't bottom it out and pedal bob is very small. Manitou shock leaked for the first 30 miles, then stopped and is fine now. Pivot creaks when overtightened, but torquing to proper torque solves that. Found proper amount by trial and error. Could have called Ibex.

Bottom Line:
I am still shocked I only have had to replace the chain, tires and seat on this sweet machine in nearly 900 miles. I have let 3 buddies ride my bike and they all bought the Atlas. I even threw on a set of Mavic Crossride wheels to see if they would improve the bike and the stock XT wheelset still ROCKED.

If you aren't into LABELS,you will love this top of the line ride!

Favorite Trail:   Bear Mountain

Purchased At:   ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Motobecane, Gary Someone? and Cannondale

Bike Setup:   All stock EXCEPT, Ti railed seat, Panaracer tires.

Submitted by Jeston Norenberg a Weekend Warrior from Sunnyvale, CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2007

Strengths:    Beautiful bike, well built with outstanding component selection.

Weaknesses:    No travel adjust on the fork leaves the front a bit high on steep climbs. I'm not a fan of WTB saddles. Front suspension to rear suspension tuning takes a little trial and error.

Bottom Line:
Try to find this much bike for this money. I have been fortunate to have ridden a lot of bikes and wrenched for a shop and this bike is as good as bikes costing twice as much. I bought this bike as a longer legged alternative to my Rocky Mountain. As expected, the Rocky Mountain is better going up but the Atlas rules on the descents. This is a terrific All Mountain bike and I look forward to using it on the night portion of the 24 Hours of Adrenalin.

Favorite Trail:   Stevens Canyon

Purchased At:   1900.00

Similar Products Used:   Ibex Apogee XT, Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0, Rocky Mountain Element 50

Bike Setup:   Stock except Terry Fly saddle and Lizard Skins North Shore lock on grips

Submitted by Hosain Farr a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2007

Strengths:    Amazing components, frame design, customer service and price. I would have never thought that $2000 could buy you a bike this nice.

I weigh about 300 pounds and have given this bike some serious punishment, including a few 3'+ drops. Nothing can hurt this thing.

The Manitou Evolver series of shocks are the best air shocks money can buy and this frame comes with one.

Shimano XT all around with some XTR sprinkled in.

The frame geometry is great, really confidence inspiring both uphill and downhill. Virtually no pedal bob even under my significant mass.

Weaknesses:    The fork needs to be devolved for optimum small bump sensitivity. Sold out for '07.

Bottom Line:
If you are in the market for a bike that can do it all, climb 1000's of feet or take some big drops without a hint of a whimper then this is the bike for you. If you are even considering buying a bike look no further because Ibex has a winner on their hands with this one.

Favorite Trail:   Joaquin Miller Park

Purchased At:   WWW.IBEXBIKES.COM

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro SL, Rockhopper Comp, Schwinn High Sierra SS

Bike Setup:   Stock except for clear FSA bash ring, 2.5" Dissent up front, 2.35 High Roller in the back, Crank Bros 50/50X Pedals, Thomson Elite 410 mm seat post, 60mm FSA Stem.

Submitted by david from pinole

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2007

Strengths:    Solid

Bottom Line:
The Atlas with 5" travel feels like it has allot more than 5", has that endless feel that Ibex FS bikes tend to have. At 28 pounds this is super light considering im used to a almost 40 pound bike for my riding. Was using the Maxxis 2.35 Minions front & rear then switched the front to a WTB Dissent 2.5 & the Atlas almost turned into a DH bike. It is supper agile twisting through tree lined trails like Slalom gates. Have been riding everything from XC/AM/DH even a few decent sized drops with a ton of confidence. This has been the most fun bike i have ever ridden because it is so relaxed feeling doing everything. As mentioned before the bike can pull you out of a mistake, as if reading your mind really sweet when riding in a group & they say how did you pull out of that??

Looking for a bike that can make you a more confident rider then buy a Atlas the grin will never leave your face & you will start pushing yourself further than you ever felt possible yet making it all look easy.

Purchased At:   ibexbikes.com/

Similar Products Used:   Ibex Asta, Versus Blitz & II, SC Supa Ate, Marin Team Issue, Etc.

Bike Setup:   Atlas Pro, Built from the frame up but close to the fully built Atlas Pro from Ibex. Cost more doing a build than buying the bike ready to ride, dang that hurt.

Submitted by Poh Soon Teng a Downhiller from San Pablo, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2007

Strengths:    Price. Very light. Nimble. Strong. Perfect geometry for AM/FR. Stiff suspension for pedaling but plush for when not pedaling. Extremely tossable. Very close to a slopestyle bike and very well all rounded. Light enough to throw around in the air and on the trail but strong enough to take the abuse

Weaknesses:    None that i can think of...

Bottom Line:
The bike was built from a frameset. Extremely tossable and flickable like how a slopestyle/fr bike should be. Also has potential to do DJ. The bike came in at about 28lbs or so after the build and it's been doing some major DH while i was behind the saddle with some pedal time to get to the DH trails. It climb insanely well cause of pedal tension when pedaling due to the high single pivot design so the suspension did not bob. But when the pedals were let go and you hit the rough stuff, suspension soaks up everything. The Manitou ISX4 is definitely on the highend side of air shocks. I can say it's one of the best air shocks i've ridden. Very impressed with it and how the it acted with the leverage ratio on the bike. Very plush in the beginning with a very good bottom out ressistance. And when i say plush, i do mean plush and it was linear like having a coil on it.

Coming down the DH stuff with a 5" bike was definitely interesting. It's not like coming down with an 8" bike or so but it was definitely doable, fun and did i mention pretty fast for it's amount of travel and weight? It did not have the point and shoot of a DH bike like how it stays on course with the weight and momentum of a big rig but it was more of a easier to get off course but easier to save as well. A lot of last minute moves can be done cause of the low weight and reactive rear end due to less weight in linkages in the rear. The whole bike is just tossable. I've actually had 2 really close calls with it but manage to save it with the bike.

Here's a review i wrote on the forums...

and a video to get the idea on what the Atlas was going through in Joaquin Miller Park, Oakland. That blue bike in the vid is basicly a 6.7" travel version of the Atlas. It's a discontinued model. Ibex Zone FR-1

Favorite Trail:   Cinderella, Chaparal, Solstice

Purchased At:   Ibex Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Ibex Asta, Ibex Zone, Versus Blitz, Versus Blitz II, Ironhorse 7point3, Norco Shore, Raleigh RAM 4.0

Bike Setup:   Manitou Minute 120mm, Manitou Evovler ISX4, 2.35 Maxxis Minions DHF/DHR, Answer Protaper, Shimano XTR/XT drivetrain, Holzefeller cranks, Sun Singletracks, Avid Juicy 7 with Dangerboys, etc

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Woodstock, GA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2007

Strengths:    Component selection is top notch. Go ahead, price out the components listed and see how much they would cost you without the frame! Try $2500+. The single pivot and all geometery compare to the tried and true of the Uber bike builders for $4K+ with lesser components. The set up out of the box was amazing! The tires, fork and shock were already at the proper pressure? I don't know if they set them before they ship them or what. XT all around except the rear DR is XTR! Top of line Manitou fork and shock. Even came with Shimano 540 pedals!! Also got a free pedal wrench and multi tool!

Weaknesses:    That you actually had to pay for it?LOL!
The only thing I am concerned about is my fat butt tends to bend cro-moly rails on saddles. We will see on this WTB Pure V. This is a new bike and I will follow up this review in a few hundred miles.

Bottom Line:
I have been trying to talk myself out of spending anymore money on my 2004 3" trailbike. But after my riding partner got the Atlas Sport, I was amazed at the sweet riding machine he got for $1299 I had to try the top of the line Atlas Pro. The set up was so easy, but I do maintain my own bike. The ride is hard to describe the luxury of a good 5" trailbike compared to an aging 3" bike. I am going faster, blasting through nastier stuff and now, hucking off the boulders and jumps I used to avoid. I can only pray that in a few years, when this great ride is ready for pasture, that Ibex has another get bike ready!

This is a new ride for me and I will update this review. Feel free to email me questions. I would be happy to show it off if you are ever near Blanket Creek Trails in Woodstock, GA.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek