GT Sanction 1.0 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.76/5 (17 Reviews)

It's Enduro. Not Endurance. With the advent of 20 minute-plus downhill racing comes a need for a bike with an optimized blend of downhill-specific and pedal-friendly geometries. With the Sanction, this need is addressed. A lighter, more versatile cousin of the Ruckus, the Sanction is the bike of choice for riders looking for a dominant Super D or Enduro Racer. Its relaxed geometries even make it a decent choice for riders whose line choices are so bad that they'd be better served riding an Enduro bike instead of their lightweight Endurance rig - just ask Tyler, GT's marketing guy.

Submitted by sirscoobydoodoo

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2012

Strengths:    tough frame, great choice of components, confident-inspiring descents, easy to service

Weaknesses:    weight makes it tough on climbs, creaks at dropouts (resolved), original leaky RS Lyrik fork (replaced), takes a while to dial in the shock (DHX Air 4)

Bottom Line:
I have the 2008 1.0 model. At first I hated this bike - the creaking drove me crazy. I had clicking noise on the dropout where the brake caliper attaches. A little bit of teflon and loctite resolved it. Then the fork started to leak from the Mission Control damper. The fork has been replaced. Next a creak had developed. I serviced the i-drive pivots but the creak was still there. I finally found it was coming from the drive-side dropout so a little more teflon and loctite resolved it. With all these problems, you would think I would knock it down a star or two. After a little bit of servicing, which all mtn bikers do anyways, my bike is noise-free and rides great (it always rode great that's why I didn't give up on it). I did replace my fork with a DT Swiss EXC 150 with 20mm TA. I have mixed feelings about switching to a 32mm stanchion fork - I saved 2 lbs but my ride is not as stiff and lost the adjustable travel from my 2-Step Lyrik. I've managed to reduce my bike to just under 30 lbs with pedals for mostly trail use.

Components: SLX brakes, Saint RD, LX FD, XT cranks, cassette, shifters, and pedals (running 2x9), WTB Laser V Slt, Answer ProTaper carbon OS bars, DT Swiss EXC 150 RTLC, stock wheelset and shock.

Submitted by Dawid

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2012

Strengths:    wyglad:) zwinnosc, szybkosc, hamulce, amor przód

Weaknesses:    .... moze tylny amor, manetki triiggery i cena calosci:)

Bottom Line:
swietny rower o prawie uniwersalnym charakterze z przewaga to zjazdów, przejechalem na nim kiedys 80 km po asfalcie na strzala i tez dawal rade:)

Submitted by james williams

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2012

Strengths:    the best of the best,

Bottom Line:
ive own so many mtb bikes in my days and i can say this is the best ive owned ,im retired pro downhill racer and this bike just flat out rocks, i ride mine every day and every day it makes me smile ,thanks gt

Submitted by chrisNZ a Weekend Warrior from north shore city, auckland, new zealand

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2010

Strengths:    Fantastic look, looks tough as hell. frame feels stiff when cornering but soaks up the hits and is plush as over the ruts and bumps.

Weaknesses:    a touch heavy when you`re riding long access roads in. how bout Carbon Sanction eh.

Bottom Line:
This bike inspires you to go faster harder and bigger than , well, bigger than i`m capable of. I have taking some massive stacks on this bike , end-o-ing half way down a hill after over cooking the jump on the crest, i saw stars, Sanc-y just needed the bars straightened. Rides thru rock gardens with ease and climbs pretty well. Virtually no bob with pro-pedal on.

Favorite Trail:   hot cross buns ( once you`ve got there )

Purchased At:   end of season sell o

Similar Products Used:   ridin-Enduro, specialized. Epipany, ellsworth. Marathon, GT. Zaskar SS, GT.

Bike Setup:   Monkey lite bars, crank bros dropper seat post, mountain king tires ( awesome) , and some crazy gold cabling .
Have replaced two-step with coil in fork, now very linear , and have both front and rear rebound wound right down, it now just sticks to the ground with no bucking.

Submitted by buckscountymtbr a Cross Country Rider from Quakertown, PA, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2010

Strengths:    Talas 36 Talas RC2 160 mm travel fork takes the hits without problem. DHX Air 5.0 XV rear shock smooths things out nice too. Smooth Hammerschmidt crankset with good ground clearance. FSA Gravity wheels seem indestructible.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy but expected on what is a pretty rugged rig.
Fork and frame don't seem to fit some roof/trunk racks respectively without adapters. Avid Elixir CR brakes only seem so-so.

Bottom Line:
I happen to luck into this bike at a Performance Bike store opening in Allentown, PA just as the 2010 clearance started and bought one of the last small-sized black frames remaining in their warehouse inventory. The double discount made me take a chance on the Sanction 1.0. I'm now glad that I did.

Its a beast of a bike visually (four other individuals' exact, coincidental words). Admittedly, the Sanction 1.0 is not for super weight-conscious riders, (especially once gear is added) but boy, oh boy, it can sure take the punishment. I weigh 210 lbs. and took it out for its first spin off 3-foot riverbanks and into a dry urban creekbed in my hometown filled with cinder block and chunks of concrete and the Sanction rolled right over the stuff without problem. Excellent ground clearance of almost a foot due to the internal Hammerschmidt. Nice adjustable suspension both front (I really like the Talas fork) and rear with minimal bob. All in all, decent components came stock. All I needed to add were a cage, and both Forte barends and platforms with a possible Shimano brakes upgrade to follow.

The Sanction 1.0 will definitely give you "bang-for-the-buck" performance if you're looking for a rig that could probably bridge the all mountain - freestyle divide without problem if necessary. At the very least, its an excellent AMB. This was something that I was looking due to the type of rocky, root-filled hilly singletrack I ride here in Pennsylvania.

Favorite Trail:   French Creek State Park

Purchased At:   Performance Bike All

Similar Products Used:   late 1990s Bianchi Peregrine hardtail retro rig (NOT similar)

Bike Setup:   FOX 36 Talas RC2 FIT fork, FOX DHX Air 5.0 XV 6" travel rear shock FSA Gravity wheelset, Thompson Elite stem and seatpost, Syncros carbon bar, Avid Elixir CR 185mm hydraulic disc brakes, Hammerschimdt internal shift crankset, Forte platforms, monocoque aluminum frame

Submitted by LLinks a Cross Country Rider from Morrow, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2010

Strengths:    Price, component spec, looks… all around badassness.

Weaknesses:    None found as of yet. It may be a couple pounds heavier than some other AM bikes, but I’m pretty sure that’s more of an indication of the type of riding this thing can handle rather than a weakness.

Bottom Line:
This thing is definitely confidence inspiring. Once seemingly sketchy sections of trails are now no problem. This thing eats up everything! At 250lbs (now you know why I really don’t care about a few extra pounds of bike), I can be pretty hard on bikes… This thing feels like it can take anything I throw at it. Just took it to Snowshoe for some downhill last week and it tore everything apart… including some 3-4+ foot drops. The only concern I had prior to buying this thing was its ability to climb with its geometry and 160mm of travel up front. The thing can climb! This bike is super bad!

Favorite Trail:   Caesars Creek, EI, Lake Hope

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Entry level Giant, Redline D660 29er

Bike Setup:   X9 / HammerSchmidt build, Fox DHX 5.0, Fox TALAS 36, Elixir CR brakes, Syncros carbon bar, CB Candy 3 pedals

Submitted by sanction rider 1.0 a Downhiller from Concord, California, USA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2010

Strengths:    Takes all the nasty drops, gaps, berms, jumps, and even the hills! Tough frame and good quality construction. The geometry is great, and the aluminum frame is not too heavy for a all mountain rig. I can ride every nasty rock on any trail and wont get bounced off. Just a smooth plush ride.

Weaknesses:    It takes some getting used to a slightly heavier bike and not having a third sprocket at the front derailleur. It is a bit of a change in climbing with a decreased head tube angle but you overcome all this relatively quick.

Bottom Line:
Probably one of the best trail, all mountain/ downhill bikes I have ever had the pleasure to ride. It has never disappointed me. Everyone who sees it appreciates its roots, and what the bike has become. It is a top of the line ride comparable to those of a more expensive breed. I let my friends all ride knowing they cant break it and everyone comments on the way it makes you feel like your floating down the trail.

Favorite Trail:   Butcher to Third Divide

Purchased At:   Performance Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Gt I drive 5 3.0, Specialized stumpjumper, Santa Cruz Nomad, Ironhorse warrior, Gary Fisher I cant remember, Ellsworth epiphany

Bike Setup:   I drive platform, Fox racing suspension, Avid disc brakes, and Hammerschmidt front derailleur. All add up to one mean package.

Submitted by bikerboy84 a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2009

Strengths:    climbing, downhill and everything in between.

Weaknesses:    all my mates want to ride it

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame with air shock and changed that after a few ride to coil to try it out and think that it has a better feel in the rough stuff.

Overall it is the best all mountain/freeride setup i have had the pleasure to ride so far.
I've set it up for the downhill but it still rides beautifully uphill.

If you like the rough technical style terrain then this bike will double your confidence while still being a very capable uphill bike
do try it!!!!

Favorite Trail:   anyting rough

Purchased At:   second hand

Similar Products Used:   have owned and ridden lots of bikes; currently have eight in the garage

Bike Setup:   santcion frame with dhx coil.
lyric fork.
kind shox dropper seat post.
stans flow rims with pro2 hubs(the best ever)
saint cranks.
ck headset.
raceface bb.
code 7 brakes with straitline levers.
kore bars and stem.
xtr derallieurs and shifters.
geax sturdy tires.

Submitted by Brydon a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2009

Strengths:    Cost, 6inch rear travel, nice looking bike, good all rounder.Purchased frame and shock only.

Weaknesses:    single pivot brake issues, fixed with a floating brake.

Bottom Line:
Like going down more than up, so set it up with some bigger forks up front, wider rims, two chain rings and bash plate oh yeah just made a nice floating rear brake that changes the way it feels coming into corners fells so smooth in the rear now, perfect set up.

Favorite Trail:   Flying Nun

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose teocoli.

Bike Setup:   Rockshock 318 8inch up front, fox air rear,wider rims for bigger tyres.

Submitted by hitechredneck a Weekend Warrior from colorado

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2009

Strengths:    tough, take take a beating, i have a few hard crashes and bail outs and few broken parts but the frame can take a pretty good beating.

Weaknesses:    leverage ratio with air shock.

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike. i had been out of biking for a few years and i walked into the local shop and starting looking at bikes. After chatting with the sales fella for a while i endend up on this bike. I like it after a few upgrades to make it a little more solid with maximus freeride bars and 70mm stem, wheels and a dhx 5.0 in the back to adjust ramp up for bottom out. At first i thought i bought to much bike cause i was dieing trying to move this bike around being a 33 lb build. After having the bike whip me back in shape, I was shocked how well it climbed with the idrive and NO pro pedal. then i pointed it down hill and wow what a blast!!! this thing feels at home going down it had more guts then me on the downhill takes everything i can throw at it from trestle bike park, to 15 mile climbs to ladders and skinnys and drops and the local jump/pump track. this bike is a for real do it all bike. I went and demoed the "god" of all mountain bikes the SC Nomad and was shocked that it felt alot like my GT only was twice as much and i had to use a propedal shock to climb it. Glad i demoed and did not fall for the hype, I hear GT had a few bad years and lost its "hype" But i can tell you the sanction does not fall into the bad years category! Get one while you can there not being brought to the US in 2010.

Favorite Trail:   secrets

Purchased At:   local

Similar Products Used:   SC nomad, yeti 575

Bike Setup:   saint brakes, cranks, lyrik front, dhx 5.0 rear, mavic crossmax sx,

Submitted by matt9210 a Weekend Warrior from Wanchai, Hongkong

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2009

Strengths:    climbs great and goes down real fast and confident.

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy but with the i-drive u never noticed it evenon climbs.

Bottom Line:
great value for money...was planning on getting an ellsworth epiphany but with the bargain and the set-up it had on ebay...glad i decided to go for this one.

no regrets and will ride this AM/FR rig for a long time. climbs better than my XC rig and definitely more confident on the downhill ride of any trails.

with this GT Sanction i can climb up the trail together with my buddies with XC set-up without being left behind sometimes i can even outclimb them at the same time can do downhill rides with my buddies with DH set-up.

i think this is one of the best if not the best all around, all mountain bike out there.

Favorite Trail:   Tai Mo Shan

Bike Setup:   gt sanction with fox dhx air 5.o and magura wotan fork, chris king headset and bottom bracket, shimano hone cranks, xt brakes, shifter, derailleur and casettes. mavic 819's with hopr pro2 wheelset fitted with maxxis advantage tires, thomson stem and seatpost plus ritchey carbon wcs handlebar.

Submitted by Chayseh a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, New Mexico

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Strengths:    The set up on this bike is amazing. It will climb like a goat. The I drive system is perfect. The travel will make you hit some drops that you may not have hit before with ease.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
It's a great bike. GT got it right with this one. It has handled everything that I have put in front of it. Enjoy the ride up and take a hell of a trip down.

Favorite Trail:   Sandia Ski Area

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Giant Pistol

Bike Setup:   Durolux suntour fork w/ Remote Adj, Fox DHX Air 3.0, Sram X-7, Shimano disc brakes, Torsion rims wrapped with Kenda tires 26x2.35.

Submitted by manical man a Weekend Warrior from adelaide, south australia

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2008

Strengths:    responsive, agile, light but strong and ready for tough trails and big obstacles

Weaknesses:    found none

Bottom Line:
my next bike will be a GT

Favorite Trail:   free lunch, fruita

Similar Products Used:   cannondale prophet

Submitted by ehansen007 a Downhiller from Aliso Viejo, CA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2008

Strengths:    Built like a tank!. Fully loaded at great price. Lyrik fork is amazing once set up correctly. Great paint job. Amazing climber for it's category.

Weaknesses:    Built like a tank! A little heavy. Crank Bros Acid Pedals are throwaways.

Bottom Line:
I was considering buying a bike to replace both my Mongoose Teocali Super 5.5"(which is the best bang for the buck anywhere as far as I'm concerned) and my Kona Stinky 7", and I had the choice made up for me when someone stole the goose out of my garage. Now the Stinky's up for sale while I try this bike out.

This bike truly blurs the line between freeride and all mountain but I'd have to say it's more of a tough all mountain bike that can pedal uphill and handle good sized drops vs a real freeride bike. We've all seen the ads by now about "it's not freeriding if you have to buy a ticket" I do buy that but not in full since it doesn't have a full coil setup that soaks up huge drops or rocks like a true free ride bike would. Still, it's pretty plush.

What you end up getting with this bike is a stellar package that you can take anywhere and do almost anything with. I can keep up or beat most of my buddies on the climbs and just bomb downhill while jumping over stuff. Truly versatile. BUT, for this bike to really come alive, I believe you have to forgo the factory shock settings both front and rear and set it yourself, install a shorter stem and some hi-rise bars. I changed the bars and the stem before the first time out but it was still hairy as I used the factory recommended settings and it was way to stiff, not soaking up the usual babyheads and shale on my local rock garden. I came back and immediately went to tubeless (as with all my bikes), and went to work setting the sag. Setting stag was very tricky so I just kept working it until I had the most travel setting without bottoming. Next ride out it was heaven! This thing climbs like a heavy hard tail with the propedal! I've love the 2-Step fork. I'm still bedding in the brakes but I hear from most that the XT brakes are awesome once bedded in.

So things to switch out:
Bars
Shorter stem
Try Tubeless!
Pedals-unless you like that griding sound Crank Bros pedals make
Add a Chainstay guard

With these mods, I managed to shave a pound off the bike and may go with some XT cranks to lighten it up even more. I'm at 32.5 and dropping!

Favorite Trail:   Stair Steps