GT Force All Mountain Full Suspension

4.4/5 (89 Reviews)

The Force is as rugged and burly as they come. Built with the same personality and capabilities of the Force Carbon, but in a more affordable package, this ride shreds every inch of mountain. 150 mm of travel, Independent Drivetrain suspension, and lightweight components makes the Force a true All-Mountain ride.
  • Frame: GT designed 6061 Monocoque frame with Independent Drivetrain suspension. 150mm of r wheel travel. With new forged I-link. New pivot design and taper head tube
  • Fork: Rockshox Sektor TR R Coil, 150mm travel, tapered alloy steerer, 15mm drop-outs
  • Crank: Shimano Non-series 36/22 with bashguard
  • Rear Shock: Fox Float R Shock custom tuned

Submitted by Alexenduro a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2013

Strengths:    Very flickable bike and feels light.

Weaknesses:    Handlebars are narrow and the tires are a bit skinny.

Bottom Line:
I rented this bike in Park City, Utah when the original bike shop I was going to rent from gave me a bike with bad brakes(needed to be bled). This bike completely surprised me. I went to the Canyons resort bike park and was able to hit the 30ft gaps with ease and throw whips no problem. The bike has a short cockpit and the bars are a bit narrow. Overall the bike performed great for what I was doing. If you want to see video footage of the bike, look up fulcrumproductionbox on youtube and look for the video titled "Rally Cat at the canyons".

Duration Product Used:   3 days

Submitted by Pavel

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2013

Strengths:    fantastic and plush all-forgiving suspension
good components setup for 2013 model
'normal' weight for 150mm travel bike - the weight which you expect it to be.

Weaknesses:    external cabling
default tires (Maxxis Ardent 2.25) aren't good for wet terrain which I have in Moscow
Comparing to VPP suspension from SantaCruz GT's IDrive look a bit complex to maintain and clean, but it might be just a matter of practice

Bottom Line:
being a hardtail rider before I finally switched to full-suspension all-mountain GT Force 1. All in all bike worth it's money till last dollar - good handling, components setup, not too weighty (pretty much as I supposed it to be for all-mountain bike). Very forgiving CTD front fork and rear suspension. For my 181cm of height M size fit well, however L would be good as well - just a matter of what you're used to. Climbs very well - with 2x10 setup I switch front very rare, everywhere on the trails where I ride I climb with same speed as on hardtail (of course with rear suspension in Climb mode).

Submitted by Nathan hill a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2013

Strengths:    Its strength! this bike is amazing. I first got a GT force 1 aluminum and was so impressed I had to get the top shelf model. The suspension is active but never bouncy. If you have a BMX back ground or that type of riding style you will not be disappointed. I found the pivots easy to service - not that I needed to but when I first got it I wanted to see if it was a pain so I took it apart and serviced it and reassembled it - not difficult. Took me about an hour, maybe less next time. That was on the first force I bought and still have - has not needed to do it again yet

Weaknesses:    Non as yet

Bottom Line:
Totally impressed! the parts spec is incredible and these can be got relatively inexpensively used. I would rather have my farce carbon than any Yeti, Santa Cruz or Ibis Mojo for sure. Im not trying to impress w/ a brand name just enjoy the ride. GT got it right w/ the I-drive!

Submitted by Wyatt

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2013

Strengths:    Great value for money, sturdy frame, geometry, no pedal bob

Weaknesses:    doesn't come with quick release collar for seat post

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I have ever purchased. I could not find any other bike at this price that had the same level of specs. The FOX CDT shock is awesome - at the flick of a switch you can open full speed compression for downhill descents and then switch it to trail mode for flat single track etc. The Sektor fork is surprisingly plush and sturdy.
I-drive is easy to maintain as it works just like a headset, all you need it a set of Allen keys.
Great for all-mountain riding, XC and beginner downhill tracks.

Submitted by Charles Evelyn

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2013

Strengths:    gets you into mountain biking.

Weaknesses:    oh where to begin ........ the only thing that is worth anything is the sektor forks. the wheels were garbage, the frame is garbage, and so is the drivetrain.

Bottom Line:
if you don't ride very hard and are not looking to grow as a mtber then buy the bike. if you plan on growing and becoming a fairly decent rider save your money buy not throwing it into the wind with the pos bike. i have had it for less than a year already bent the wheels, cracked the frame(which apparently is common with these bikes), and have had to replace those ****ing brackets that holds on to your rear wheel and derailleur i don't know how many times. ***k this bike!

Submitted by Nate

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2012

Strengths:    great looks - strongs welds - super easy to service pivots, and easy to get too - good price - great suspension design (Yeti SB66 is a knok-off of the idrive) yes it works and w/o the crappy pivot bearings the yeti has, read the reviews, lots of unhappy yeti customers.

Weaknesses:    the derailuer hangers are really expensive

Bottom Line:
I was happy with the bike i had but got the GT force because i had read great reviews and happened across an awesome deal. WOW the ride is incredible, RP23 on the frame works great and i have had no creaking as yet but for the 2010 that i have its a simple BB tool to disassemble, not a big deal. A one piece rear triangle means a latterally rear end. And yea i stand by my statement that Yeti copied the i-drive. its basically up-side-down but the phisics are the same and i would not trade this for the SB66 because it has a low bottom bracket and the GT has a much higher one (thats a personal preferance thing) Any way a great bike. if i change it will be for a carbon fiber GT force frame.

Submitted by eric a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2012

Strengths:    feels like it can take anything, solid bike. Adjustable seat post while riding. FAST on the downhill. great gearing for uphill sections

Weaknesses:    none so far. except I miss my front suspension lockout switch I have on my other hybrid bike.

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying I do NOT know a whole lot about all the different levels of components and differences between frame styles and such. I like to ride, that's it.
I bought this Saturday (9.15.2012) at jensonUSA. Amazing price on the 2012 closeouts and they were so nice to put it together for me right there so I didn't have to drive back all the way from santa monica. I'm coming from a 2010 GT transeo 2.0 so this is my first full suspension bike and first mid level mountain bike. So far I love it.! I got more than twice as far up this trail than last time i went on my transeo due to the better gearing, and it feels a lot more rugged and stable. Gives ya more rider confidence. On the downhill it was Very Fast. My favorite feature is the HiLo adjustable seat post. Much nicer than jumping off the bike every ten minutes to adjust to the trail. Looks sick with the white paint and red aluminum hardware. All around I couldn't be happier and wish I had more free time to get out there.! also I got a Large frame and am about 6'1" and 225lbs. Seat seem a little high when I have it up for climbing but it might just be the difference in geo going from the transeo street/trail bike to a dedicated mountain bike. A few more rides and I'm sure the transeo will feel weird if/when I get back on it. If you wanna keep your bill under $1900 and get a killer bike, I think this is a great option. Also don't know how much it weighs but feels pretty light lifting it in and out of my buddies truck bed.

Favorite Trail:   kanan in malibu

Purchased At:   jensonUSA

Submitted by Timoshenko

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2012

Strengths:    bought in 2011, great bike, recently added Reverb seat post which changes ease of use and improves overall performance.

Weaknesses:    creaks very quickly but first decent service sorts this out, fox talas front forks can be unreliable, away to fox for a full innards replacement so will update following further use, only 70 hours so under the recco'd 100 service interval. Line routing is poor but can be changes to prevent wear of frame

Bottom Line:
would consider buying GT again but may look elsewhere, new, old stock made this a reasonable purchase, good componentry, poor back up from dealer so now getting services elswhere.

Submitted by xeric13x a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2012

Strengths:    iDrive system, Feel solid, Decent parts

Weaknesses:    Factory wheels don't stay true, Not of fan of the grips, Creaky, Powerlock on the chain (WTF?)

Bottom Line:
This is my first bike after being out w/ an injury for almost 2 years and I've had it for about 3 months. It pedals like a hardtail and the bike itself feels really solidly built. Seems like it will basically take any abuse and it just keeps on ticking. I'm used to riding a hardtail, so this thing does feel a bit on the heavy side which is expected w/ a FS bike. The parts are decent minus the wheels and grips. The wheels do not say true. The grips just aren't very sticky, but I like grips that feel like bubble gum and fatter. I also swapped out the pedals to ones I like more, but the factory pedals felt pretty grippy on the test ride. I think another review said it does ride pretty high up which you get used to pretty quick. But having a higher BB = the ability ride ride over taller obstacles w/o issue. The chain is a Sram chain and the 10 speed Sram chains have PowerLock (not PowerLink). PowerLocks are about $4 to replace and are "supposed" to be replaced after taken them off. My chain has been replaced with a KMC. Overall, the bike is awesome. Nothing NEEDS to be swapped out except the garbage wheels. Luckily I got mine cheap enough used (and only a year old) that I can upgrade the already pretty good parts.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by cbastante a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2012

Strengths:    Solid frame, not a lot of flex. Geometry. Smoothness over the rough jagged stuff. Ability to flatten any rough terrain with authority. Eats stumps and obstacles like they arent even there. Comfortable ride all day suspension

Weaknesses:    Fox R rear shock, and Mag 32 Fork.....Dont even think about riding around with this fork....it absolutely SUCKS! Blew the seals on it the first time out. Hey, what do you expect from a good frame, value parts.....You are going to have to upgrade eventually to get the parts that you want on it.

Bottom Line:
I have owned this bike for two seasons now. Paid 1100 for it delivered, which in itself really allowed me to upgrade to the parts that I wanted. I love the fact that it is a big burly frame. I am 215 lbs, and not a small guy, and it seems to fit me quite well. I looked at some other bikes by Giant, Trek, and Cannondale and they felt comparably small to this bike. Overall the geometry just "feels right". Since I bought the bike, I have upgraded the handlebars to Easton Monkey bars. Put a Sektor Rock Shox Fork up front....by the way, its an amazing match for this bike. 6 Inches of travel on the front and back. Put a RP23 Large Volume rear shock, and replaced the chain with a more durable O ring. I plan on changing the cranks next, and also getting rid of the Shadow SLX rear Deraileur and replace with something more precise.
Overall though, I have been mountain biking for a pretty long time, and I have to say I have nothing but good things to say about this bike. It does just about everything right, and is very reliable....The Nevgal tires have been good to me. I hear a lot of people saying that they suck, but I have not had one flat......could have something to do with putting heavy duty green slime tubes on front and back. I agree that the tubes that came with the bike pinched too easily, but CHANGE THOSE TUBES, and you will not have a problem. I bash it pretty hard, and I recommend this bike whole-heartedly!

Purchased At:   Pink Bike

Submitted by ryocuellar@gmail.com a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2012

Strengths:    suspension Idrive Pivot are amazing , I have problem riding hard tail, but this bike make smooth any dirt trail, power over any surface floor , grades on fork are amazing very secure for downhill

Weaknesses:    cables running are rubbing frame , I have it to set some tie rod to stop and some electric tape, heavy compare to similar bikes

Bottom Line:
I recommended this bike on 26 suspension great performance according for value is the best bike

Favorite Trail:   amelia eratheath park

Purchased At:   on line

Similar Products Used:   Mongose full supension coil, specialized hard tail

Bike Setup:   all mountain bike

Submitted by interprint ltd a Cross Country Rider from NZ

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2012

Strengths:    Feels lighter than stated,exceptional climber,feels unburstable

Weaknesses:    can creak if not lubed correctly ,they generally are not from factory,once relubed especially in pivots and spider you will have no creaks at all

Bottom Line:
fantastic all round bike for the travel you get on these no complaints here,climbs as well as my old specialised epic ever did and a whole lot more comfortable.

Favorite Trail:   Queensharlett

Bike Setup:   standard but for the bars,melt those down for your boats anchor

Submitted by sensi1 a Weekend Warrior from dayton, ohio usa

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2012

Strengths:    climbs very well handles well after u take the kenda nevagals off. consistent performer

Weaknesses:    it will creak every now and then kinda heavy but sturdy front fork is kinda weak at small bumps but will take the big hits

Bottom Line:
an excellent bike for most trails and light all mountain use it will take just about any trail you throw at it. the bike looks fantastic and rides just as well. the value factor was a big plus in what i got for my money and Performance Bike gave me a very good deal. wish i had the money for the carbon version!!

Favorite Trail:   MoMba bike park

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   mongoose giant cannondale

Bike Setup:   Sram x-9 across the board Avid elixr 3 brakes kenda small block eight tires

Submitted by Krom's disciple a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight, Durable, performance, handles well on the down hill, independent drive train

Weaknesses:    Could have gone with better handle bars, to many pivot points, the bike creeks after about six months

Bottom Line:
The bike is great on the down hills and climbs. I've had my bike for a year and it's beginning to creek. The bolts come loose in the pivot points so I'm always having to make sure they are tight so my bike can't be heard a mile away. I believe the bike should be serviced every 6-12 months. Grease needs to be added to reduce the metal on metal grinding. Overall it's a good bike but I'm not sure it's worth the price. It's a good intro bike for the beginner but I would not recommend it for advance riders.

Favorite Trail:   National (South Mountain)

Purchased At:   Online