GT Force Carbon Expert All Mountain Full Suspension

• Brake Levers: Shimano XT Hydraulic
  • Spokes: DT Swiss 1.8 stainless steel

Submitted by Timoshenko

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2012

Strengths:    bought in 2011, great bike, recently added Reverb seat post which changes ease of use and improves overall performance.

Weaknesses:    creaks very quickly but first decent service sorts this out, fox talas front forks can be unreliable, away to fox for a full innards replacement so will update following further use, only 70 hours so under the recco'd 100 service interval. Line routing is poor but can be changes to prevent wear of frame

Bottom Line:
would consider buying GT again but may look elsewhere, new, old stock made this a reasonable purchase, good componentry, poor back up from dealer so now getting services elswhere.

Submitted by Krom's disciple a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight, Durable, performance, handles well on the down hill, independent drive train

Weaknesses:    Could have gone with better handle bars, to many pivot points, the bike creeks after about six months

Bottom Line:
The bike is great on the down hills and climbs. I've had my bike for a year and it's beginning to creek. The bolts come loose in the pivot points so I'm always having to make sure they are tight so my bike can't be heard a mile away. I believe the bike should be serviced every 6-12 months. Grease needs to be added to reduce the metal on metal grinding. Overall it's a good bike but I'm not sure it's worth the price. It's a good intro bike for the beginner but I would not recommend it for advance riders.

Favorite Trail:   National (South Mountain)

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche 1.0

Bike Setup:   2009 GT Carbon Force Expert, full shimano XT build, FSA K force carbon handle bar.

Submitted by DanLeeGT a Weekend Warrior from berwick,pa

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2011

Strengths:    sub 30 weight, price, capability, comp spec, adjustable front travel

Weaknesses:    cable rub, needs stock stem and bars replaced immediately, shocks-needs tuned and front talas needle broke off. the new ones come with tapered ht, stock rear maxle,one peice swingarm, and cable guides:(

Bottom Line:
Great bang for buck, gt rep told me lifttime warranty on frame. Which isnt much lighter than metal frame because its built to be strong not uber light weight. So a carbon force is stronger than metal force it should be up to par which sanction. With this understanding i hucked my stock bike over six foot no breakage. I wouldnt recommend that on daily basis though. im six foot two and got xtra large which i like cuz i can stretch out and earn my turns and when trails get tight and tech i drop my fork which sharpens handling. Get one while there on sale!

Favorite Trail:   8,nfs

Purchased At:   gaintnerd

Similar Products Used:   gt mararthon

Bike Setup:   stock except haven stem and bar and maxxis tires.

Submitted by jmz2309 a Weekend Warrior from Columbus Ohio

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2011

Strengths:    XT parts, carbon, Suspension, and Comfortable

Weaknesses:    rear brake line through the seat tub and triangle

Bottom Line:
After putting about 150 miles on this bike I wanted to write a review. I have the 2009, GT force carbon expert, size small, with all XT components. I am 5’ 7’’ about 140lbs.
I mostly ride XC single track but wanted a bike that rides more like an AM bike. I was looking for a bike that had more than 120mm travel but something I could still race on. I like the feel of the 69% head tub which gives it more of the race feel than a downhill or even AM bike. So this bike fix what I was looking for. The only thing I have changed are the tires to something lighter and now have the bike down to about 26.3 lbs.

First I love the carbon I have never rode on carbon before but it really dampens the ride and its not as bumpy. So far the carbon has been great and very efficient. Both Fox shock and Fork works really great with this bike. The fork can be adjusted to 110mm 130mm and 150mm but does not have any lock out which is a disadvantage if your use to one.
With any full suspension you will get some bob in the rear shock and that is true with the I drive design. But once I got everything set to what I like the bob was not bad, one of the best full suspension I have ridden. When going up a long climb you can always lock out the shock and this bike will really climb with the best of them. When riding with a group the group losses me when I am going uphill or starting to get my speed back from a turn. But once we go downhill or on a strait I catch up. Not the fastest or slowest bike but a sturdy bike. With that said this is a really fun bike to ride, you can ride it all day and throw just about any type of trail at it.

The one item I do not like is how GT brought the rear brake line through the seat tub and triangle. Because these parts move the cable started to wear the clear coat off of the frame. I ended up moving the cable outside so I don’t have this issue anymore I just zipped tied to the frame and works great.

Over all a great bike and I would suggest this bike to any one if it fits their needs.

Favorite Trail:   any

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Bike Setup:   all stock but new tires

Submitted by rmarques79 a Weekend Warrior from Ponta Delgada, Azores

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2011

Strengths:    Lighweight, very responsive, XT group on the transmission and Fox handling the suspension part...

Weaknesses:    Maybe: everyone I talk about this bike say it will break :(

Bottom Line:
Had this bike for one week now...bought it to a friend of mine...took it to an All Moutain/Enduro/Freeride trail, massive, 13km...and apart from the normal noises...the bike looks though, light, responsive and very easy to handle...
I think this bike, with it's 150mm travel front and rear, is a mean machine who alows us to climb moutains and just let it rip' them down!
I've read the reviews here and it was you guys who gave me the confidence to buy this rig!

Favorite Trail:   Monte Escuro

Purchased At:   A friend

Similar Products Used:   Mondraker Dune 2009 (it's my other bike)

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by u238marshall a Weekend Warrior from Moab

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2010

Strengths:    The GT Carbon Force Expert benefits from a full 6" rear suspension in a world of 5.5" bikes. The I Drive design is noticeably efficient while the travel feels deep compared to similar bikes ridden including the Ibis Mojo and the Turner 5Spot. Once we swapped out the original bars and stem for something more suitable for a great trail bike we found the handling to be very predictable and the bike to pedal especially well over rough terrain. In fact I would venture to say that it pedals better over the rough than nearly any other bike we've tried. Frame rigidity is excellent with no noticeable rear end flex.

Weaknesses:    Original spec on this bike includes a zero rise stem that is on the longish side and a pair of narrow bars that don't flatter the bikes handling.
Also the suspension pivots came dry and creaked right off the bat. A little grease solved that problem.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome for someone looking for a great riding carbon trail bike. 2009, 2010 and 2011 are using the same great carbon frameset and the full XT 2009 bike is a steal at nearly $2000 off the retail price.

Favorite Trail:   Whole Enchalada

Purchased At:   Uranium Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Turner 5Spot, Ibis Mojo, Santa Cruz Blur LT and Nomad

Bike Setup:   XT parts
Talus 150-130-110 fork with 15mm qr
Mavic 719 rims on XT hubs

Submitted by hcontramaestre a Weekend Warrior from Guaynabo, Puerto Rico

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2010

Strengths:    Bike climbing perfect. (I-Drive works)
Bike really eat the bumps when you go down.
Carbon frame really strong made the confidence to go down fast.
Group Shimano XT, Fox Components, (Best value for your money)

Weaknesses:    Weight, Front suspention Fox R (Could be upgraded to RLC), slide the seat post.
Frame graphics design (Could be improve).

Bottom Line:
Is the better option if you want get more for your money.
Perfect ride with that bike for all mountain routes and some XC.
You can go down for downhill trails and take the chicken way for some big jumps and rock gardens.
Use the propedal and you will climp like a goat!

Favorite Trail:   Depend of my mud!

Purchased At:   GT Retailer

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro & Epic.
Treck Fuel & Remedy

Bike Setup:   Handlebar & Stem Sunline Vone 745 all mountain series and Wheels Mavic CrossMax ST.

Submitted by dfuzz78 a Weekend Warrior from Renton, WA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2010

Strengths:    This bike pedals like a hardtail but is a very active, plush suspension design.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
When I first rode the bike (tested at Performance)it was like riding a bike I had ridden for years; like an old hat, I guess you could say. It pedals strong and you don't get the sensation of pedaling a sponge like my old GT LTS(which is still a great design!) It handles great and will follow any line that I point the handlebars at! I thought there would be lots of amplified trail noise due to the large mono carbon frame, but there is little to no noise from the tubes! That really impressed me. There was no transition period to get used to this bike, I just hopped on and rode hard and the bike was flawless and helped me ride stronger.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS
Giant AC-2

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR mix.
Panaracer Smoke & Dart tires
Selle Italia Pro-Link saddle

Submitted by turbofisch a Cross Country Rider from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2010

Strengths:    Overall performance. Amazing it's better in technical climbs than the GT Team Marathon XC Bike.
If you like flowy singletrails and want to upgrade from a XC bike, give it a try!

Weaknesses:    could be a bit lighter..

Bottom Line:
Overall it made me more confident, faster and gives me much more fun riding the trails around.
This bike is much more fun, than my previous one. Therefore I have just sold my Team Marathon. I love light bikes so I'm thinking about tuning it with some lighter parts strong enough for my weight and style to ride. Apart of that it has an easy setup, just pump an ride.

Purchased At:   Shop

Similar Products Used:   GT Team Marathon

Bike Setup:   so far as built by GT

Submitted by MrGT a Cross Country Rider from Syracuse

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2009

Strengths:    Sucking up bumps.

Weaknesses:    A bit trivial but I cannot get the seat post to stop sliding down no matter how much I tighten it.

Bottom Line:
This bike has changed how I view technical cross country riding. It has made me much less timid on sections that I would give up on and even walk. It just seems to float over bumps. This bike has made me a better rider, keep it up GT, I knew you would not give up and this bike along with the 29er have kept me a GT guy.

Favorite Trail:   Kingdom Trails VT

Similar Products Used:   All GT bikes..

Bike Setup:   Stock, except cool lime green grips!

Submitted by norcalchico a Weekend Warrior from Chico

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2009

Strengths:    Light, Peddles great up hill, Smoooth.

Weaknesses:    None. I love this bike

Bottom Line:
Bike rides Great. Very happy with GT bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Bidwell park

Purchased At:   GT sales Department

Similar Products Used:   08 GT force

Bike Setup:   Factory stock

Submitted by JASE GOMEZ a Downhiller from moreno valley ca.

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2009

Strengths:    This bike rides like an xc bike and takes hits like a dh bike , i love it

Weaknesses:    rear rp23 needs to be stepped up from oem to pro tune.

Bottom Line:
This is the most fun bike i have ever owned, its versitle and tuff, forget that its carbon, rides like a dream would recommend it to anybody for all mountain and all day riding in all conditions !!

Favorite Trail:   all !!

Purchased At:   california cyclery &

Similar Products Used:   i-drive 5 1.0

Bike Setup:   xtr, mavic, fox,crank bros. seatpost and azonic carbon bars..

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2009

Strengths:    Long travel, quality components, Great Front and rear shock, carbon frame - Light!!

Weaknesses:    Factory setup of RP23. Propedal active - little to no change in shock performance (did not prevent bob at all)

Bottom Line:
I have evolved from a single, cross country full suspension to having a hardtail for racing and the Force for all mountain. Once the RP23 was re-valved I did not want to stop riding. Amazing performance downhill and light enough with RP23 and adjustable Talas to push around the flatter single track for several hours comfortably. Amazing all mountain bike!

Favorite Trail:   Youyangs

Bike Setup:   Factory bar valving in rear shock, sent straight back to Fox for intermediate pro pedal valving. Much better!

Submitted by WheelerDog a Cross Country Rider from aeplant853@hotmail.com

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2009

Strengths:    The suspension is phenomenal. 150mm with Fox RP23. A Talas up front with quick and easy length adjustments between 150 - 120 - 100mm. The different lengths provide for different ride characteristics. From short travel aggresive XC at 100mm up to the full 6" of travel to go down. The RP23 helps to tune the rear for the type of trail with the flick of the switch.

Weaknesses:    The Force is designed for solid 2+ hour rides. Unfortunatly I don't have those rides nearby in KY. Parks provide for tight singletrack where you're never going in a straight line. The bike comes set up with a 2.3 Nevegal on the front which is a big tire to throw around for a couple 15 miles.

Bottom Line:
I wanted this bike to find out how 6" rides on my local trails. Carbon lightens the ride which could easily be made to excel on tight, turning singletrack with some smaller tires and the suspension tuned for it. Very versatile, Great Trail Bike!

Favorite Trail:   Buckskin