GT Force 2.0 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.63/5 (16 Reviews)
Weight : 30 lbs MSRP : $2649.00

The Force is as rugged and burly as they come. Built with the same personality and capabilities of the Force Carbon, but in a more affordable package, this ride shreds every inch of mountain. 150 mm of travel, Independent Drivetrain suspension, and lightweight components makes the Force a true All-Mountain ride.
  • Frame: GT designed 6061 Monocoque frame with Independent Drivetrain suspension. 150mm of r wheel travel. With new forged I-link. New pivot design and taper head tube
  • Fork: Rockshox Sektor TK Solo Air, 150mm travel, tapered alloy steerer, 15mm drop-outs
  • Crankset: SRAM S1400 Non-Series 39/26 2x10
  • Brakes: Avid Elixer5 185mm rotor
  • Saddle: WTB Devo Comp
  • Rear Shock: Fox Float RL Shock custom tuned

Submitted by eric a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2012

Strengths:    feels like it can take anything, solid bike. Adjustable seat post while riding. FAST on the downhill. great gearing for uphill sections

Weaknesses:    none so far. except I miss my front suspension lockout switch I have on my other hybrid bike.

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying I do NOT know a whole lot about all the different levels of components and differences between frame styles and such. I like to ride, that's it.
I bought this Saturday (9.15.2012) at jensonUSA. Amazing price on the 2012 closeouts and they were so nice to put it together for me right there so I didn't have to drive back all the way from santa monica. I'm coming from a 2010 GT transeo 2.0 so this is my first full suspension bike and first mid level mountain bike. So far I love it.! I got more than twice as far up this trail than last time i went on my transeo due to the better gearing, and it feels a lot more rugged and stable. Gives ya more rider confidence. On the downhill it was Very Fast. My favorite feature is the HiLo adjustable seat post. Much nicer than jumping off the bike every ten minutes to adjust to the trail. Looks sick with the white paint and red aluminum hardware. All around I couldn't be happier and wish I had more free time to get out there.! also I got a Large frame and am about 6'1" and 225lbs. Seat seem a little high when I have it up for climbing but it might just be the difference in geo going from the transeo street/trail bike to a dedicated mountain bike. A few more rides and I'm sure the transeo will feel weird if/when I get back on it. If you wanna keep your bill under $1900 and get a killer bike, I think this is a great option. Also don't know how much it weighs but feels pretty light lifting it in and out of my buddies truck bed.

Favorite Trail:   kanan in malibu

Purchased At:   jensonUSA

Submitted by xeric13x a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2012

Strengths:    iDrive system, Feel solid, Decent parts

Weaknesses:    Factory wheels don't stay true, Not of fan of the grips, Creaky, Powerlock on the chain (WTF?)

Bottom Line:
This is my first bike after being out w/ an injury for almost 2 years and I've had it for about 3 months. It pedals like a hardtail and the bike itself feels really solidly built. Seems like it will basically take any abuse and it just keeps on ticking. I'm used to riding a hardtail, so this thing does feel a bit on the heavy side which is expected w/ a FS bike. The parts are decent minus the wheels and grips. The wheels do not say true. The grips just aren't very sticky, but I like grips that feel like bubble gum and fatter. I also swapped out the pedals to ones I like more, but the factory pedals felt pretty grippy on the test ride. I think another review said it does ride pretty high up which you get used to pretty quick. But having a higher BB = the ability ride ride over taller obstacles w/o issue. The chain is a Sram chain and the 10 speed Sram chains have PowerLock (not PowerLink). PowerLocks are about $4 to replace and are "supposed" to be replaced after taken them off. My chain has been replaced with a KMC. Overall, the bike is awesome. Nothing NEEDS to be swapped out except the garbage wheels. Luckily I got mine cheap enough used (and only a year old) that I can upgrade the already pretty good parts.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by interprint ltd a Cross Country Rider from NZ

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2012

Strengths:    Feels lighter than stated,exceptional climber,feels unburstable

Weaknesses:    can creak if not lubed correctly ,they generally are not from factory,once relubed especially in pivots and spider you will have no creaks at all

Bottom Line:
fantastic all round bike for the travel you get on these no complaints here,climbs as well as my old specialised epic ever did and a whole lot more comfortable.

Favorite Trail:   Queensharlett

Bike Setup:   standard but for the bars,melt those down for your boats anchor

Submitted by JayRob100 a Downhiller from Aliso Viejo

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2011

Strengths:    Take the rock garden smooth, with the adjustable front fork for fast recovery. Adjustable seat makes it easy to move from downhill to cross country and back to downhill. Love the basic colors, black and white on the 2.0.

Weaknesses:    The front cables and would change out the components with the sram X7. the chain makes noise going down the hill.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and it has really worked for me. I started with a hardtail and traded it in after 60 days for this one. I don't even think or look at other bikes right now, because this bike has taken me everywhere and back. I am 6'4" and 275lb, this bike has not had a problem other then replacing the chain.

Favorite Trail:   Rock It

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Rear 6" Fox RT, RockShox Front 6", GT Handle, Sram Drive and Av-brakes, lever seat. 2.40, not for cross County.

Submitted by fatwheels a Weekend Warrior from Morrisville NC

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2011

Strengths:    tough, good components, great for what i want it for

Weaknesses:    original parts were too weak and were replaced asap.
heavy
suspension fork is not very stiff torsionally, but it is a 9mm drop out

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike if you upgrade stuff from stock. much of the original stock parts are not very strong and do not fit the bike very well. The bike pedals well, despite being 34 pounds, but you definitely feel the weight. have upgraded this bike to the max, but will be buying a different bike in the future. this bike is extremely loud and squeaky and you need to disassemble and reassemble the i-drive system to get it to shut up. the frame is very stong, and can take a 20 foot drop no problem. the suspension cannot. upgrade the components, and you will enjoy the bike much more, and it will ride better and faster then before.

Favorite Trail:   286

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   performance bike

Similar Products Used:   k2 factory 4.0

Bike Setup:   replaced much of the original bike
parts that were replaced along with the parts that will be replacing them
slx rear deraiuler-replaced after crash with xt
chain-broke so upgraded to tougher chain
handlebars-heavy and not wide enough-upgraded to 28 inch bars
stem-way too long-went with 50mm stem-much better
tires-upgraded to kenda nevegal 2.3 with stick-e huge improvement
shifters-lx to xt-big difference
brakes-juicy 3(crap) to bb7(awesome)
wheels-stupid wtb crap to easton haven(awesome and light)

Submitted by balance a Cross Country Rider from Finland

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2011

Strengths:    Smooth suspension, stiff frame, comfy in moderate speeds, good looks.

Weaknesses:    Inefficient power transfer, badly built factory wheels, frame prone to creaking, turkey gobble from rear brake (Avid Juicy 3 fault really), really soft nuts for frame bolts, very high riding position because of the high bottom bracket (makes you feel clumsy in low or high speeds), really heavy handlebar, too long stock stem (for me at least)

Bottom Line:
Coming back to mountain biking after several years I was first very pleased by the comfy feel of the GT force 2. I did buy it partly because of the positive reviews in here. After some 1300km and bent wheels (needed truing just after 100km, no jumping, spokes were _very_ loose), cleaning the linkage to tame some creaks, and changing several components for the bike for better fit I decided to get a hartail for winter riding. This summer, a year later, when I started to ride my GT again after getting used to my hardtail I became very frustrated with the inefficient power transfer and the high riding position and decided to swap the frame. Now all my GT components are on Canyon Nerve ESX (06) frame and I can confirm that it is more efficient for pedalling and feels more agile and solid in different speeds. Obviously it is a lighter frame also. I can do 50km rides now without frustration..

So bottom line: Ok and comfy for getting down the hill in moderate speeds and for shorter rides. Not very agile in slow speeds, solid in higher speeds or competent for longer rides.

Similar Products Used:   Earlier GT and Haro full sussers, several hard tails

Bike Setup:   Sun/Mavic tubeless custom wheels, Nobby Nic/Mountain King Supersonic tires, Koryak riser bar, Fox rp2 rear shock

Submitted by jakethesnakeGT a Weekend Warrior from Arcade, NY USA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2011

Bottom Line:
I really do love this bike. It's been a reliable rig and seems brute so far. GT has always made some nice stuff, and def built some tough frames. Everything seems to work smooth and takes hits well. Under full force uphill cranks there is an odd knock sound that seems to come from somewhere around the frame pivot, but as I'm still breaking it in getting things adjusted and dialed in,.. probably just some fine tuning needed in the rides to come. Not many of us are huge fans of uphill work but without a doubt, the design of the i-Drive setup GT uses really makes climbing pretty effortless. And through nice rhythm sections where you can really flow it keeps the rear end connected to the ground well. All around I'm psyched with the bike. Def have plans to go to a shorter stem than the Ritchey that came on it. Feels too long and un-responsive in swithbacks. Other than that,.. you will love it if you ride it!

Favorite Trail:   All of them.

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   2009 GT Force 2.0 with a Sram components group. Nevegals front and rear, Rockshox 'Rev' 140mm fork, Fox Float RP2 with pro-pedal. Tru-vativ Stylo crank and Juicy3 disks with 185mm rear and 203mm front rotors.

Submitted by JaxRox a Weekend Warrior from Bloomington, IL

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2011

Strengths:    Components are mostly reliable. Plush ride. Decent climber. Feels stable. GT frames are bombproof. Lotsa bike for the price.

Weaknesses:    Juicy 3 brakes. Nevegals roll kinda slow. Standover height seems kinda high.

Bottom Line:
It's a good bike for the price. I only weigh about 165 pounds, but I beat the hell out of this bike. The SLX components, Fox suspension, and GT frame continue to perform. This is a true all-mountain bike. I ride it with flats and hang with the XC crowd, but bomb hills, hit jumps, and huck drops on it too. The Neves roll kinda slow, but they bite on corners and I don't care about racing so it's no big deal. I wouldn't buy it to race XC, and I wouldn't buy it as a DH rig, but it fits nicely in the middle. It's a great all around bike.

P.S. Try getting some new experience descriptions mbtr. None of them really fit for me.

Favorite Trail:   Whichever one is closest.

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Tubeless Nevegals. Truvative AKA stem. The Ritchey that came with it is too long IMO. Everything else is stock.

Submitted by lmchew a Cross Country Rider from malaysia

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2010

Strengths:    is good for me at this time

Weaknesses:    litte big knocking sound when give force to peddle

Bottom Line:
won change to other bikes for next two year.

Purchased At:   malaysia

Bike Setup:   brake is doere xt n fox float rp 2 n fox float r 32 n shimano slx set

Submitted by jt@justdrift a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2010

Strengths:    Good quality components for the price, climbs very well, the ride is plush, frame seems sturdy for XC/AM. close to 6" of travel front and rear.

Weaknesses:    standover is a little tall. It feels like I'm up so high when on the bike. I would upgrade the 2.10 nevegal tire in the rear to a 2.35 for better grip.

Bottom Line:
For the price I paid, this bike is very hard to beat. It's got a lot of potential for upgrades down the road when I do wear out or outgrow the parts. The weight is about 31 lbs, and can definately be lessened by using lighter wheels/tires, lighter handlebar/stem/post/saddle combo.
As it is, it's definately a big improvement in riding the rocky terrain we have here in Vegas. I used to have to work much harder in climbing the loose-over-hardpack type surfaces with the bigger stuff allover. Smaller drops (anywhere from 2-4 ft.) are good with this bike and I'm sure it can do more in the hands of a more capable rider.
I would say if you want to get an all-mountain bike that climbs really well, but can do the descents too, this bike is for you!

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg XC/Cottonwood

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized hardtail bike.

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock.

Submitted by jesse a Racer from Kawana

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2009

Strengths:    lightwieght frame,
steering angle

Weaknesses:    havent found one yet

Bottom Line:
great bike for almmost anything does downhill fine but it can turn around and go straight back cuz of light wieght frame. I would recomend this bike to anyoe wanting anall rounder.

Favorite Trail:   Noosa

Purchased At:   gold cross cycles

Similar Products Used:   norco fluid

Submitted by carlos r a Weekend Warrior from tucson,az

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2009

Strengths:    strong,value,components,suspencion performance

Bottom Line:
its hard to beat this bike in value and performance,this bike is a great climber rig i love going up hill and this bike deliver with out any fancy sock or fork adjustment,it just need to be pedal,i ride arizona deset trails they are hard and unforgiven,and this bike its taking abuse and its holding well,my next steep will be wheels upgrade,2 pound lither than stock,so i can climb way more faster,gt force is a great bike and i love it

Favorite Trail:   arizona trail

Purchased At:   performance bicicles

Similar Products Used:   marin quadtrail,gary fisher marlin,specialize hardrock,ironhorse bike

Bike Setup:   easton carbon bar,tubeless kit(stans)wtb devo saddle,

Submitted by byronwk a Weekend Warrior from fayetteville, ar, usa

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2009

Strengths:    Great at cornering. The suspension feels a little less than what it says but gives the bike an extremely smooth ride. The SLX crankset is amazing.

Weaknesses:    The 6 inches of suspension feels more like 5 in. and the shock seems to leak air every now and then. Some creeking noises when pedaling uphill but nothing too noticible.

Bottom Line:
I've had a blast tearing up the trails with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   slaughterpen, bentonville.

Purchased At:   louis and clark outf

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for shimano dx pedals.

Submitted by motogsxr a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2009

Strengths:    The I-Drive works great! Almost little to no peddle bob when on seat. Soaked up all the bumps, drops, jumps I could throw at it.
The Nevegal tires seem to grip very well.

Weaknesses:    Didn't get RP23 rear shock - Not really a weakness but wanted to state it.
No other weaknesses thus far

Bottom Line:
This is a lot of bike for the price. It was listed for $2,499 at Performance but I was able to pick it up for $1,800 out the door after all of their sale promotions.

I'm just now getting back into Mountain biking and taking more technical trails. This is a great solid bike. I haven't had any creaking issues yet, didn't go through any water yet :)

You want a really great quality, solid, and stable bike...pick this up.

Purchased At:   Performance

Nevegal Tires
SRAM X.9 Shifters & Derailers

Submitted by Justcruizing a Downhiller from Cape Town

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2008

Strengths:    Built quality, value, suspension simple to set up, handles well in tight single track, easy to throw around. Feels much lighter than it looks. Floats over ruts and bumps nicely.

Weaknesses:    Lock out would have been great up front. Handle Bars weight more than the frame...well almost. Chuck them. Still might be a little long for some. I ride a small.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden full suspension for 10 years now...I planned on getting the latest GF Roscoe 1 but the price!!!man! it's steep.....this bike climbs like a 3.8inch pony. Still not sure if it really is a 5.5 inch. My GF DLX 1 seemed to have more rear suspension when the going got tough however this nips into corners very quickly sadly lacking in the GF and I'll be using it for long enduro rides and getting my fitness back so it's perfect. Got it down to 12.7 kg and heading for 12.5 after chucking stem, seatpost and WTB Rocket for ti version plus a Alu bolt kit soon. Chucked the LX crank and thrown on a Aerozine orange anodized adjustable crank length. looks insane! overall I'm very happy with the bike. Is this a all Mountain bike....mmmmmm Don't buy it if you want to rip downhill...buy it if you want a bike that does it all accept hard tec trails or downhill riding. Obviously this won't replace your downhill bike.

Favorite Trail:   Hidden in the hills of George