Giant Reign X2 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Chain: Shimano HG-73
  • Rims: WTB Dual Duty FR

Submitted by rhyko a Weekend Warrior from Newport, Wales

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2010

Strengths:    Easy bike to ride, nice geometry, low centre of gravity, fairly slcj/relaxed angles.
Cant fault the frame much other than cable routing.
Feels like a bigger travel bike-good sus

Weaknesses:    Here we go:
QR rear axle-please, needs something beefier
Cable routing
Marzocci forks broke very quickly-fixed under warranty and sold em off
Weight, would love this bike to be lighter.
Brakes -hayes strokers, didnt like em so changed em
Narrow bars-changed em
WTB tyres have weak sidewalla and pinch on gnarly terrain

Bottom Line:
The frame rocks and as a whole bike its a bargain, although if you are a serious rider you will probably want to swap out a lot of parts, not only by choice but becasue most will die.
I definately do not regret buying this bike, was so much cheaper than a DH rig

Favorite Trail:   Cwmbran DH

Sunline V1 bars
Wellgo B52 pedals
XT rear mech
Shimano SLX brakes
rest is as standard i think

Submitted by rileychrishkek06 a Downhiller from Boyne City, MI

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    Great value for the price,excellent geometry, awesome color for '09 model, bomb-proof and stiff. Pedals great uphill considering the weight and the coil sprung suspension. for the price the suspension setup is great, I only weigh about 120lbs so I don't need any preload in the fork and it feels superb, and dispite being hard to get to the rebound adjust for the rocco it works great. and since theres no air to worry about, once you set it you can forget it. The sram x5 shifters and derailer are suprisingly reliable and easier to shift than any shimano setup i've used before.

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy, stem and handlebars kind of awkward in a downhill setting, front tire should be more beefy, pedals are junk.

Bottom Line:
for the price it's probably the most affordable big AM or small FR bikes you can get, with a few swopouts and adjustments it can be just as good as something a thousand dollars more. Two thumbs up.

Favorite Trail:   Boyne Mt. Downhill

Purchased At:   giant employee purch

Similar Products Used:   most similar bikes from trek, kona, haro, and other giants.

Bike Setup:   switched the stem for a 40mm, the bars for Titec el norte high rise, pedals for Premium flat pedals for FR and Shimano clipless for AM stuff, WTB Dissent front tire 2.5, gravity seatpost. the rest is stock.

Submitted by ammeriebx28 a Downhiller from Rockland, NY, U.S.

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2010

Strengths:    Durable, great stock parts, looks great.

Weaknesses:    Weight, a few stock parts I changed right away.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for the price. I've had it for a year and it can take a beating. I would recommend changing the tires though, they're really not durable enough and pinch flat often. It comes with some great stock parts too. I put a new fork, bars, and grips on and will be replacing the deraileur, though they are adequate enough. This bike is smooth and fun to ride, I would definatly recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   diablo

Purchased At:   Allendale Cycle

Bike Setup:   Giant reign x2, Marzocchi 888 RC3, mostly sram components.

Submitted by turnmeon a Weekend Warrior from Greece, Naousa

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2010

Strengths:    Great fit in my body size on M size (i am 85kg and 1,8m tall. Reliable parts. Perfect matching of low cost and performance.

Weaknesses:    None so far unless the stiff saddle

Bottom Line:
Very plush feel on the suspension even on downhill tracks.
Marzocchis look very tough till now and able to absorb big hits and drops.
I'd only change the gear shifters if i keep on peddaling...
if i turn to freeriding most i'd remove the front derailer and shifter and throw in a 66 rcv.
Great adaptivity in any trail.
Would not reccomend on cross country riders.
would definetely recc on freeriders and enduro riders.

Favorite Trail:   Holy Spirit to Naousa

Purchased At:   Theotokis Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Nothing is similar to this bike

Bike Setup:   Stock except brake disc wich now are 203-203 from 185-160 which was.

Submitted by jasons2008 a Downhiller from Mesa, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2010

Strengths:    Travel, SRAM components, bike geometry, maestro suspension, rigidity of bike, cable routing, Marzocchi 55R fork, Marzocchi Rocco R rear coil shock, color, price

Weaknesses:    Narrow handlebar with minimal rise, Avid Juicy 3 brakes.

Bottom Line:
I was worried about the weight of the bike, and if I would be able to throw it around or not. Compared to last years model (and previous years), Giant definitely shaved off some weight by reducing unnecessary bars and tubing, but compared to my XC bike, its still heavy. Also, I was worried that climbing was going to be a pain due to the weight. They guys at the bike shop told me it feels heavy in person, but on the trail, I will be mazed at how light it feels. I put it to the test.

I went out to McDowell Regional Park, and South Mountain in Phoenix, AZ, and man, when I got on this thing I was amazed at how fast, nimble, and light it felt. WOW! Climbing was not even hard anymore, thanks to Giant's Maestro suspension. Pedaling was so easy, I was wiping out the competition. No pedal bob at all, even with no lock out feature on the rear shock. Just like all the reviews say, point this bike where you want it, and there it goes!

Suspension was so plush. I was so excited to take jumps because it felt like i was floating on water when I landed. Just in two rides that I have put on this bike, my confidence has gone way up. I think I am going to get myself in trouble with this thing! Love the 6.7 inches of travel in the rear. No problem on jumps and big drops.

I give the Reign X2 5 chilis for the bike, though it has small weaknesses, but nothing to complain about, and give Cactus bikes, in AZ, 5 chilis for their service.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Downhill

Purchased At:   Cactus Bikes

Bike Setup:   2010 Giant Reign X2- everything stock so far

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Huddersfield, England

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2009

Strengths:    Total Value for Money. Great handling, great suspension. Loads of fun to ride!

Weaknesses:    front end is a bit 'twitchy' when landing drop offs and jumps and the hayes stroker ryde have very little modulation.

Bottom Line:
awesome bike. I really love riding it - can't wait for next summer - It's gonna be great!

Favorite Trail:   Wharnecliffe

Purchased At:   JE James

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by reignx2 a Downhiller from Davis, CA United States

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2009

Strengths:    super good for cornering, jumping, downhilling, and really easy to go fast on DH runs.

Weaknesses:    needs to come with a better fork. the marzocchi 55r has only 2 adjustments, feels sticky and leaks oil. giant should start putting avid breaks on their bikes.

Bottom Line:
really good bike for the price and can do everything. youll be able to keep up with you buddies who are on DH bikes.

Favorite Trail:   livewire

Purchased At:   northstar at tahoe f

Similar Products Used:   remedy, sx trail

Bike Setup:   mostly stock, sunline v-1 os bars, selle italia seat, sram x-9 derailur, ODI ruffians lock-ons.

Submitted by highstandards a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2009

Strengths:    The ride and HANDLING! Just glued in the corners. Pedalling is good but not great. Hides its weight well.
This bike handles FAR better than the SX Trail II or Remedy 8. INTUITIVE and EASY to go fast. Versatility. I can ride with my DH buddies or tackle an 8 hour epic.

Weaknesses:    Weight. Suspension adjustability..."rebound dampening" on rocco r is virtually non-existant. Fork is not great, just ok. Seatpost clamp never did work right, then broke. Pedals are garbage.

Bottom Line:
I like it better than The Remedy 8 and SX Trai(2008). Those bikes are significantly more expensive (but lighter).
Neither can equal the inspiring handling of the Reign X.
The best bike if you're on a budget and can only afford one bike.

Similar Products Used:   Remedy, SX Trail

Bike Setup:   Stock plus lock on grips NRG pedals

Submitted by NoSkillz#1 a Weekend Warrior from Eureka

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2009

Strengths:    Incredibly nimble for a beefy frame and slacker head angle. Really pedals well for being more on the DH/FR side of the "all mountain" spectrum.

Weaknesses:    Kind of heavy if your used to XC type bikes, but I don't notice it while I am riding at all.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, cannot say enough good things about it. Goes uphill pretty well, and bombs downhill. The price is really incredible. I was going to buy a new fork, but after running the 55r for a while, I don't mind it. I will just hammer it until it is dead and then get a new one. I did upgrade the rear shock though, it is way nicer to climb when you can lock up the rear end a little. With that said, the Maestro system is incredibly stable and plush.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Haro, Specialized, Fisher, GT, etc., etc..

Bike Setup:   Marz Roco TST'R. 40mm stem. Bontrager saddle. 50/50 pedals. The rest stock.

Submitted by CoedY a Cross Country Rider from Northampton,UK

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2009

Strengths:    After riding a lightweight xc bike for years then switching to the Reign X and taking it DH I found myself hitting stuff I never thought I'd be able to. It takes some fair drops and rough terrain easily. The low, laid back centre of gravity definitely helps here. It climbs ok for a heavy bike, though it could benefit on a propedal for this.
Overall it handles well whether going up or down.

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side, but that's what you expect with the bottom of the range X. I rode it only a few days at Whistler Park - I got 2 pinch flats on 2 runs on A-line, so i'd recommend putting different tyres on, as well as locking dh grips, and a seatpost shorter than the 6ft long one it seems to come with :p

Bottom Line:
Great AM bike, good for a little of everything. Excellent for the money, and looks real sweet.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Whistler, BC

Similar Products Used:   Norco Fluid LT

Submitted by Delay1234 a Downhiller from Beaverton

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2009

Strengths:    Great frame design. I am 5'11" and was torn between the medium and the large size. The medium felt good when I was moving slow and just messing around. The large (which I ended up purchasing) felt a bit more stable at higher speeds and I was still able to "man handle" it the way I wanted to. The cutout where the rear shock is located makes for a great low center of gravity. The low center of gravity definitely helps in the corners.

The quick release front axle is simple to remove and makes breaking the bike down easy for transportation or on the trail flat repairs.

I love the Sram set up on the bike. I have found that the Sram set up works much better than the Shimano set ups I have used for the same type of riding.

This bike has proven itself to be very versatile. I use it mainly for downhill style riding without it being a downhill style bike. This bike makes drops and jumps feel like you're hoping off a curb and handles very well at high speeds. After tearing down your favorite hill the X2's dual chainring set up will help you get back to the top with plenty of gears for climbing.

The bike is very comfortable while climbing and riding harsh trails. It is much more comfortable than the hardtail bikes I am used to.

Love the stock Kenda tires.

Last but not least... It looks mean.

Weaknesses:    My biggest beef with this bike is also one of the reasons I like the frame design so much. The position of the rear shock makes it difficult to access the air valve unless you have skinny fingers. The plate that protects the rear shock is inconvenient to remove and the tiny screws would be hard to keep track of if you had to add air on the trail. I have not yet had a problem with this since my hands are on the smaller side and I usually just adjust the pressure before I leave for a ride anyway.

Depending on your weight the stock rear shock might be a little "soft" for some riders. I am in the 195 range with gear on and usually just bump up the pressure closer to the max if I am carrying a pack.

I have heard of people having trouble with the 55R fork but mine has been problem free (knocking on wood) so far. It feels a little sloppy when it's cold out but gets better once you move around a bit.

Cheap looking chainring guard.

The bike might be on the heavy side for some riders (38lbs ish) but since I have been using this bike for downhill riding it hasn't bothered one bit.

Bottom Line:
A lot of bang for your buck compared to the other bikes in the same category. Great design and very comfortable ride. Great freeride rig even though it wasn't entirely designed for that purpose. I take this bike off drops (not huge drops, more on the medium side of things) and jumps. This bike has given a lot more confidence on trails I wouldn't touch before. I love this bike and would recommend it to anyone that is looking for that "big bike" feel and doesn't want to break the bank.

Cheers

Favorite Trail:   All Black Rock Trails

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Fat Tire Farm

Similar Products Used:   Kona Coiler

Bike Setup:   Swapped out the pedals for a pair of Specialized Lo Pro Mags. I also changed to OD2 lock-on Ruffian grips. I cut the seat post down and inch to be able to lower it more for the steep stuff.

Submitted by Decamun a Downhiller from Friday Harbor, WA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2008

Strengths:    Sturdy, Plush, Balance suspension (if you adjust it right) Bottomless travel. Light, good components, looks sweet! Easy to fix. The list goes on and on.

Weaknesses:    Suspension can be a bit to soft, and the back shock makes sucking noises, easy to get flats, but no complaints, and no huge failures yet.

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing. It climbs almost as well or better than my hardtail would recommend it to anyone who had enough money. But I wouldn't use it for XC, and I think I might still rent at whistler this summer (more out of love for my bike, than because i don't think it could take it. Have you SEEN the last season rentals? I'm not subjkecting my bike to that.)
If you want a great all around bike with more than enough travel, for a decent price, go with this. My friend has the same bike, and landed a ten foot drop wrong on it. The bike flew twenty feet down the trail, and it's not even scratched. The only thing a little wrong with it was the derailer, which took about ten minutes back home to fix. The only reason i didn't give it five chilis is because im a little worried about my back shock.

Favorite Trail:   Lower River Run (Local) or Frieght Train to A-line

Purchased At:   Center Cycle, WA

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stab Supreme Garbanzo, assorted hardtails, Specialized SX trail.

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign X2, stock, except for the pedals

Submitted by ManH a Cross Country Rider from Princeton, NJ

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2008

Strengths:    Comfortable, good for rough crossings.
May be I should get the Reign 2. But just can't get over the 160 front and 6.7 inches rear travel.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, roughly 38.2 lb
I measure the length of the exposed part of the fork tubes which is less than 160 mm. So there is no way the front suspension can travel 160.

Bottom Line:
It is my ultimate comfort bike. I ride for exercise and enjoy the scenery and I enjoy it much better when my butt doesn't hurt. I have a Forge Sawback 5XX which is a good strong hardtail, but my butt felt quite painful after 2 hours. With the Giant it is still OK after 3 hours. Many people said you can climb better with a hardtail, but I find that the Giant can climb much better than the Forge, especially when the going gets rough. Probably the rear wheel is staying on the ground instead of bouncing around and my feet find it easier to stay on the peddle. Now I can just peddle up a 4 inches step because of the front suspension and the less steep head angle. With the Giant an ordinary rider (admit it) can probably ride better but not faster. Also not for long ascends. If you want a lighter bike it is better to start with a X0 or X1, or just a Reign 2.

Favorite Trail:   Raritan Canal towpath

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by sirchase a Downhiller from Idaho, USA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2008

Strengths:    Turning, climbing, descending.

Weaknesses:    front derailer adjustment

Bottom Line:
This bike is a f***ing shred machine. I love it. Just built this one a couple of days ago, but I had a stock one up on the mountain and it was great. Climbs and descends like butter, or gravy.

Favorite Trail:   the fast one