Giant Reign X0 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.83/5 (23 Reviews)

Bolstered by 6.7 inches of active Maestro Suspension travel and a burly but beautiful ALUXX SL aluminum frameset, you’ll conquer rough allmountain terrain like never before. Stable geometry, a tapered OverDrive headtube and air or oil shock-compatible shock mounts make Reign X the master of all terrain.
  • Fox 36 TALAS FIT Float RLC with 20mm thru-axle, 120-160mm travel, tapered steerer tube suspension fork, Fox DHX 5.0 rear shock
  • SRAM X.0/X.9 componentry with Avid Elixir CR disc brakes
  • Giant Contact AM handlebar and stem with Crank Brothers Joplin 4-R seatpost
  • DT Swiss EX1750 Giant LTD edition wheelset
  • Color: Polished/Copper/Anthracite

Submitted by Noam a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2013

Strengths:    Great geometry that make you feel "at home" the minute you get on it and gives you a lot of confidence
Great suspension, back tire sticks like glue to the ground
Can do EVERY THING you want, from jumping, to climbing and going fast down hill

Weaknesses:    Bottom cable routing
Chain tensioner is useless

Bottom Line:
Got my 2011 new at 2013 from dealer leftovers for cheap and upgraded the brakes to Saint, shifters to X0 and rear derail to X9 type 2 and also front fork to Rock Shox Lyric solo air.. WOW, what a bike, I thought my Trek Remedy was owsome... I can climb, jump, corner and all other things we do out there with much more confidence and stability then ever. The bike geometry is great, it gives you the feeling you have ridden this bike for ever... Since it has a long wheel base, I find it much easier to climb technical elements and to jump from medium hights.
If you like aggressive all mountain riding then this is the bike for you.

Purchased At:   Israel

Similar Products Used:   Trek Remedy, Specialized Enduro

Submitted by Tobias

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2012

Strengths:    - extremly good suspension - Maestro works outstanding. No pedal bob when sitting on the bike. Eats EVERYTHING which crosses its way!
- bearings last very long. I run mine the second season and no replacement is needed
- very light frame (approx. 2900 gr. at size M)
- Geometry is good - long wheelbase, long chainstay, long bike at all - so it want to be smashed!

Weaknesses:    - on some frames the link of the maestro systems seems to break
- on long, steep climbs (over 15 degree) the fork should be travelled
- ISCG-mounts are twisted so not every chain protection will fit. Mount on BB is for sure possible

Bottom Line:
I own a 2010er frame which I set up totally custom. Head angle of mine 2010er frame was a bit steep. I installed an angle set and it feels now perfect. Don´t know if they made minor changes in the production for the 2012 but I know a test where they measured a head angle of 65,5 - perfect! The vivid air in High tune is the perfect shock for the bike. Like mentioned the whole bike is long with long chainstays. So it is not a flickable playbike. This bike wants to be punished hard and driven fast. If you are riding slow and technical trails every day, you probably should look for alternatives. And again, go for the Vivid Air with this frame!

Submitted by SwedishSTile a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2012

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, Agile, great in the air, great in the rough stuff

Weaknesses:    Downtube cable routing puts your cables at risk for damage.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2012 X0 frameset. I built mine up with a Fox Talas 180mm FIT RC2 fork. This changes in my mind the intended use of the bike while changing slightly the geometry. My intended use for this build is heavy AM to light FR and DH use and it serves that role admirably.

The bike has fantastic cornering geometry, even with the longer fork. It sticks like glue and transitions extremely well. I think a lot of this is due to how stiff the front of the bike is. The tapered head tube (I am running a tapered steerer as well) adds noticeable stiffness and front end tracking over my previous 2008 Reign X.

The bike climbs extremely well and descends even better making it a very capable AM sledgehammer. I ride everything on this bike that I previously tackled on my Santa Cruz VP-Free and I almost never miss the extra 1.5 inches of rear travel.

My only gripe about this bike is that it does not have the same pop off of jumps that my old reign did. I am not sure exactly why this is, but for whatever reason I do not seem to get the same spring from the rear of the bike when hucking it.

If you have never ridden a parallel link suspension design I highly recommend you find one and try it. I have ridden everything from virtual pivot to FSR to single pivot and in my experience the parallel link designs are just better. They maintain pedaling ability without as much sacrifice to downhill performance as the VP and FSR designs and are nearly as good as a well designed single pivot on the downhill with much better uphill ability. Maestro and DW link bikes are excellent choices but so are independents like Canfield Brothers.

Overall the Reign X is an extremely competent bike. It is a one bike quiver. I have an 08 glory DH and a VP-free and I have not ridden either since building up this bike. It really is that good. I turn down the talas and flip the pro pedal for climbing and cross country rides, and open everything up for bombing the steeps and hucking jumps. On very fast downhill the bike could use another 3/4 inch between the axles, but overall performs amazing considering its intended use

Favorite Trail:   Anything

Similar Products Used:   Ibis Mojo HD, 2008 Reign X1, Giant Glory DH, SC VP-Free, Canfield Brothers The One, Giant Faith

Bike Setup:   DHX Air, Fox Talas 180mm FIT RC2, MRP G2 chain guide/bash, Avid Elixir CR's, Hadley/Mavic 729's, Maxxis Minions, Sram X9 rear mech and shifter, Saint Cranks, Sunline V2 Pedals, Race Face Atlas stem and bars, ODI grips, Chris King BB

Submitted by cascademtnbiker a All Mountain Rider from Myrtle Creek, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2012

Strengths:    This review is for the 2011 Giant Reign X0 frameset only since no components are oem.
The frame is light, strong, easy to climb; pedal platform is awesome when in the 36T chainring, more bob when on the 22T. This bike rails corners and feels great in the air. Frame is light for such a capable bike weighing in at 6.3lbs (without shock for the large). Complete bike weighs around 32lbs with the Fox DHX air, and 34.5lbs with CCDB.

Weaknesses:    Bottom out bottom out bottom out. I weigh 180-190lbs. I send it all the time, but max drops are less than 4 ft to flat, and I bottom out every time. I used the original Fox DHX air and ran it at max bottom out resistance with 200psi, 280psi in main chamber. Then I switched to the Double Barrel w 650# spring running low and high compression maxed out I still bottom out. There's something with the suspension geometry that doesn't like me. The pedal platform is sweet but it seems the leverage ratio must be increasing throughout the travel stroke. The good thing (or bad) is that the upper shock mount bolt bends to relieve some of the stresses when maxing out the travel. Just bunny hopping on the pavement I use nearly all the travel.

Other than bottom out there's no weakness that I've experienced.

Bottom Line:
I like this bike for aggressive trail riding but doing moderate to big jumps/drops not so cool. When I switch to this ride my speeds increased noticeably and guys I ride with can't keep up. I'd give 5 chilis if the bottom out issue could be solved. I'm surprised there's not more people complaining about this issue. I haven't broken the lower links, yet!

Favorite Trail:   My local trail I built

Purchased At:   custom build

Similar Products Used:   '02-04 Specialized Enduro, others not worthy enough to mention.

Bike Setup:   Cane Creek Double Barrel w/ 650# coil, Fox 36 RLC, Crank Bros Joplin 4, Raceface Atlas 36/22 with black spire bash and tensioner, Syncros 32 DH rims, Nevegal tires. Avid juicy brake with 203/185 rotors

Submitted by jj nicholas a Racer from Laguna Beach CA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2011

Strengths:    With a 7inch travel fork it can handle pretty much anything like the very capable faith, but the reign x can climb when it is needed

Weaknesses:    Not the best climber, but I also have it set up for very and I mean VERY aggressive riding.

The rims are solid but the rear hub is weak sinse it is an XC racing hub

Bottom Line:
The best aggressive AM bike on the market, it tackles the hits and drops with ease, at the end of the day you can pedal it anywhere. light, agile and the miestro suspension is very smooth and ramps up well

Favorite Trail:   Telonics

Similar Products Used:   Gt sanction, kona stinky

Bike Setup:   08 totem solo air, DHX 3.0, sram xo

Submitted by M1 a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2010

Strengths:    Value. Factory spec. Weight. Performance. Geometry. Climbs great and decends even better.

Weaknesses:    While I love the geometry, the low bottom bracket takes some getting used to. Pivot bearings only lasted about 1 year. Stock tires. Not much to complain about considering all the positives.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic bike at a great price. When I initially purchased it, I was primarily riding and racing cross country, but this bike has elevated my interests to include primarily much more agressive trails now. It has been able to handle eveything I've been able to throw at it including downhill bike park runs. I haven't riden every brand out there, but do find it interesting that a reviewer would claim this frame doesn't compare to the "higher quality frames out there" and then list a bunch of frames made by Giant for other companies as a point of reference.

Favorite Trail:   National

Purchased At:   Bobs Bikes

Similar Products Used:   2005 Giant Reign, Trek Remedy, Specialized Enduro, Raleigh 2500XT and many older designs that aren't even really comparable.

Bike Setup:   Stock 2007

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Nakusp, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2009

Strengths:    Top notch componentry, slack geometry, low center of gravity. Avid Elixirs are superb brakes with amazing modulation.

Weaknesses:    Chain guide a bit noisy, but easy to get used to.

Bottom Line:
At first I thought I was buying too much bike for my style of riding, but I am so happy with this ride! It is a solid climber, wicked descender, suspension is easy to tune to your preferred riding style, and it looks darn good! I am far more confident on the steep stuff now and not afraid to hit the jumps. This bike loves to fly and is forgiving of less than perfect landings. The low center of gravity feels great and the bike handles like a charm. The 67 degree head angle has impressed me completely. I'm looking forward to getting it onto some long epics.

Favorite Trail:   Seven Summits

Purchased At:   Gericks Cycle, Nelso

Similar Products Used:   My only other decent bike was a Specialized Enduro, a completely different bike.

Bike Setup:   Original stock set-up with Fox Float 36, DHX 4.0, Sram X0/X9, etc etc.

Submitted by dannymac a Weekend Warrior from shirley, new york

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2009

Strengths:    great all mountain bike. handles declines awesome. easy climbing. jumps great. fox suspension great.

Weaknesses:    original suspension set for 150 lb rider. had to get new springs for heavier person.`

Bottom Line:
AWESOME BIKE

Purchased At:   selden bikes and boa

Bike Setup:   felt the angles of bike were great

Submitted by sofarider1 a Downhiller from medford, oregon

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2009

Strengths:    lightweight. corners with precision.climbs like a goat. very good all mountain/light freeride set up. hauls up and hauls down. beautiful lines. love the top tube seat stay lines.this bike is truly the best all around performing bike i have owned.

Weaknesses:    low bottom bracket takes time to get used to.smashing pedals. not really a weakness because the low bottom bracket makes this thing rail corners and way stable.
getting to shock for bottom out resistance is tough. once you set it though your good.

Bottom Line:
of all the bikes i have owned this bike is the best all around performer. i feel i have finally got my true all mountain/light freeride set up. slam the fork and raise the saddle and this thing climbs like a goat. raise the fork slam the seat and it mobs. the best cornering ability of all my bikes. this thing is truly a trail eater.

Favorite Trail:   time warp

Purchased At:   spin cycles

Similar Products Used:   bikes i have owned/still own.... santa cruz chameleon, jamis dakar, craftworks frm 125, ellsworth joker, kona stinky deluxe, heckler, transition bottle rocket, turner highline.

Bike Setup:   custom build. picked up a brand new 08 frame with dhx 3.0 coil for $800. already had all the parts on my heckler....fox 36 talas rc2, fox dhx air 5.0, thomson x4 elite stem & seatpost, shimano xt crankset,gamut bashgaurd,stinger,sram x9 rear, shimano xt front,trail king pedals, wtb lazer titanium, juicy 7, dt swiss hubs, mavic 235 hoops, tioga factory dh 2.3

Submitted by James from CHCH, NZ

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2008

Strengths:    Light for what it is. Excellent value for money. Versatile Easy to manual. Pedals very efficently. Build kit is excellent (Float36rc2, X0, Raceface etc).

Weaknesses:    Flexy. Mid stroke wallow. Not enough brake for intended purpose - needs bigger rotors. Stock Kenda tyres are pathetic. Anodising is cheap and easy to scratch.

Bottom Line:
I purchaed this bike for use as a heavy duty trail/light DH bike. I already had a Heckler which I use for more general trail duties, but I still needed a bike which could climb to reach some of the more remote jungle and alpine trails around here. Sadly, the ReignX didn't live up to expectations. It climbed fire roads pretty well, was well balanced in the air and on buffed single track it decends competently, but on technical terrain it was disapointing. There is significant flex in the rear end, and the DHX air wallows around in the mid stroke more than on some other designs. Its a poor technical climber, and pretty average for low speed highly technical descents. There were chainline issues as well. At speed it's stable and corners OK, but to be honest the lighter duty Heckler is better, and so was my old Bullit. Compared to the Bottlerocket which replaced it the Reign was markedly inferior - the BR totally outclasses the Reign on high speed descents, jumps and technical terrain, although it is a little less efficent on the climbs.

You could partially fix the shorcomings of the Reign by fitting a smaller air can to the DHX and using a bolt thru rear axle, but I didn't consider it worth the effort. I sold the ReignX0 frame and kept the (excellent) build kit.

I think the ReignX0 is fantastic value, and would make a great fun bike for people who are just getting into freeriding or heavy duty trail riding, but for those that have been riding for a few years and are used to higher quality frames the shortcomings are a little too obvious.
I guess you get what you pay for.

Similar Products Used:   Heckler, Bullit, Bottlerocket, Norco Six, Orange 222 and I've ridden plenty of other nice bikes over the years.

Bike Setup:   Swapped tyres out for minions. Otherwise stock.

Submitted by billy kraebel a Downhiller from cutchogue

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2008

Strengths:    this bike is endless, once you have the suspension tuned in perfect this bike is awesome it flys like a bird and climbs like a xc bike.

Weaknesses:    none, except mountaing a chainguide

Bottom Line:
this bike is endless. get a set of 24's for dirt jumping

Favorite Trail:   diablo new jersey

Purchased At:   COUNTRY TIME CYCLE

Similar Products Used:   reign x1, anthem advanced

Bike Setup:   stock besides maxxis minion tires 2.7 and cranks bros 5050xx sealed petals and a e13 drs chainguide, im also gettin a set of 24' halos to dirt jump it.

Submitted by James from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2008

Strengths:    Pedals great, stiff frame, slack geometry, solid build, decent room in the cockpit, great stand over, low seat tube, shorter chain stays (super easy wheelies, and quick handling), very low center of gravity (super stable in corners and in the air).

Weaknesses:    BB a hair low some days if I'm not on it or riding through a lot of rocky climbs where I need to pedal the whole time.

Bottom Line:
If you are an aggressive trail rider with an interest in jumping, the Reign X is one of the best all around bikes I’ve ever ridden. They hit it right on the head with this design. The cockpit is just long enough for trail riding (I’m 5’10” on a medium) and yet the bike is very flickable and easy to get the front wheel up when needed. The 24/36 chain ring setup is getting to be something I really like. I compared it back to back with a Nomad setup for the same weight and the Nomad felt like it had an inch less travel and had noticeable, in a bad way, pedal feedback. The reign gives you just a little chain tension as the back wheel hits something while pedaling, but it’s just enough that your foot’s momentum pushes through and the bike just sticks to whatever it hits. Also, the Nomad feels way shorter in the cockpit which is fine for descending steeps but sucks to pedal. The Reign X feels more like the SX trail in geometry, but is built lighter out of the box and that makes it a much better trail bike IMHO. I think with a coil they are within ½ lb for the frameset, but the Reign can run an air shock while keeping 6.75” of rear travel, so it can be built much lighter if you want.

The only real issue I have had is getting used to such a low BB. (13.8” with my current tires and fork) I think they should have spec’d it with shorter cranks to make up for some of that. Oh well, when I get some extra cash I’ll put on some 165 or 170’s. It does try to drop the chain a bit, but I think I’ll add a Blackspire Stinger to help with that. Usually it just drops it to the small ring and one pedal stroke puts it back up, but I’d rather not have to deal with it. Pretty common for most longer travel bikes I’ve ridden. Some of it is my tendency to back pedal as I come up to techie stuff. Old habit ;)

The low top tube and seat tube is so nice when I put the saddle as low as possible and take the bike to the dirt jumps or crank berms. The frame just slides back and forth under me and can be laid way flat while keeping my body pretty upright for traction. Tons of space in the cockpit. This bike is my one bike I travel with. I have a 5”+ travel all mountain/XC bike and an 8” DH bike and this is the only bike I would never leave behind. The last two weekends in Moab have been heaven. I just wipe it off and lube the chain and it’s ready to go again. Definitely 5 flamin' chilis.

Favorite Trail:   To many to pick one

Similar Products Used:   SX trail, Gemini, Stinky, Coiler, 7 point, Nomad, Bighit, Ellsworth ID, GT Idrive

Bike Setup:   Med frame - 66 light, Gravity Dropper, WTB Ti saddle, 108pt Hadley rear hub w/Mavic 719 rim. 2.35 Nevegal DTC's, Ghetto tubeless, MG1 pedals, 34.4 lbs!!!

Submitted by John a Downhiller from Gaithersburg, Md

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2008

Strengths:    This things is crazy for being classified as an "all mountain" bike. The suspension design stiffens while pedaling. The slack gemoetry of the bike allows it to fly down hills and progressively gain more and more control with the greater speed you get. The amount of travel on the suspension is astronamical.

Weaknesses:    I've yet to find one. It is my first full susp. bike, so i feel like the rear tire is always flat, but thats just me.

Bottom Line:
Holy Sh&t balls. I took this thing on a 15ft. drop. Didn't feel a thing. Buy one. You'll love it

Purchased At:   Germantown Cycles

Bike Setup:   Stock with a 7' rotor in the rear, E13 DRS guide, and Kenda Blue Groove in front and Nevegal in the rear.

Submitted by Will a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2008

Strengths:    Great price, amazing suspension, solid components

Weaknesses:    low bottom bracket means you are banging your pedals on rocky climbs (this is completely offset by the bikes handling on the descents and something you will quickly adjust to)

Bottom Line:
This is truly a do everything bike. Climbs slowly (but in truth, regardless of bike I have ALWAYS climbed slowly). inspires tons of confidence, my biggest concern now is carrying too much speed. The bike handles the rough stuff so well and with so much poise that when I do get into trouble, I quickly find out just how far beyond my normal comfort level this bike has taken me. I have been on this bike for almost a year now, and can't think another biek I would rather be on, regardless of price.

Favorite Trail:   Blackrock

Purchased At:   Bike n Hike

Similar Products Used:   Nomad, Jamis Dakar, Trance

Bike Setup:   mostly stock, AMP seatpost, 50/50 pedals

Submitted by Jack Jacometti a Downhiller from Werribee Vic Australia

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is super light, corners really well, very stable, floats well in the air and drifts pradectably.

Weaknesses:    At the start i had the rear shock set up a bit soft and it seamed there was not enough travel. But since then i have stiffend up the rear shock and now i have no complaints.

Bottom Line:
I am light (60kg padded up) so this is the ultimate dh bike FOR ME. It is light (around the low 16kg mark) well balenced i dont feal there is not enough travel when it is set up right. It is the best bike i have owned. I ride mostly DH and free ride stuff. It performs unreal through the ruff chatery rock gardens jumps like i am Steve Rominuk. It has made a better more confedent rider. I gave it 1 chili for value because i dont now how much it has cost me and i dont want to no. If you are a big person it might not be the bike for you if you want to do DH on it.

Favorite Trail:   Travs diamond

Purchased At:   G and D cycles werribee

Similar Products Used:   I am a dh kind of guy so this is my first shorter travel bike but i used to have a 2006 big hit 3 which i was going to keep but i was so inpressed with the reign x i got rid of it as the reign is a better DH bike for lighter ridder. My frinds have these bikes and i have ridden them all as well iron horse sunday, 2006 kona stab delux, demo 8 and my gt ruckus hardtail.

Bike Setup:   I changed a lot of parts as this is my dh bike. So her it goes i have 2007 66 RC2X fork, 690mm syncros bar low rise, truvativ 40mm long 0 rise stem, odi ruffin lock on grips, juicy 7's 8" rotor up front 7" rotor out back, syncros dps 32 rim with a dt swiss hub up front, doubel track rim dice hub 36 spoke out back, sram xo medium cage derailer, x9 shifter, e 13 lg1 chain guide (it is a 9 speed), bontrager 165mm king earl cranks, crank brothers 5050xx pedals, dhx 5.0 coil rear shock with a 450 pound ti spring and mixxis minnion front and rear spacific tyers 2.35.

Trek Slash 8 or Giant Reign X0

What do you guys/gals think? I am an aggressive rider that is looking for a bike that can climb with decent efficiency and freaking shred the DH haha. Happy posting! :DRead More »

Reign X0 and Reign X1

I've been scouring the internet in search of finding the weights of both these bikes in a large, does anybody out there have the true weights of these bikes? Thanks in advance!Read More »

Reign X0 vs. Reign weight.

I couldnt think of a better place to ask this question; What is the weight difference between the Reign X0 and the regular reign? Is there? I want to say that the X0 would have a "thicker" frame but not sure..:confused: I'm talking about the frame, i'm not so worried about the components.. Thanks! ... Read More »

2013 Reign X0.

I currently run a '12 Reign 2, and after much thought and riding I'm thinking about going with a 2013 Reign X0 instead. I was originally going to upgrade my Reign 2 brakes, shock, fork(which I would also have to at least get a new 20qr front wheel to match with fork) and decided it probably wasn't w ... Read More »

Will a Cane Creek DB air fit 2008 reign X0?

Gday, As per the title. Its a 7.787" x 2.25" shock to fit. I emailed Cane Creek and they said the coil would fit but had never heard of a case where an air was fitted, so no help. Anyone have some knowledge? Or would anyone have some dimensions of their Air's air can so i can try to measure ... Read More »