Giant Reign 3 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.32/5 (53 Reviews)

The Reign 3 is a monster-travel machine and a freakish value. Its Giant rear suspension and Manitou Splice fork offer 150 and 130mm travel respectively to handle whatever you can dish out. Plus, the sweet components from Alex, Race Face, Easton and Shimano are built for flawless function and durability.

Submitted by Jordan Sutherland

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2012

Strengths:    Very strong bike. Light weight, socks up the bumps very well 6 inches of travel. Rock shox Tora forks
Manatue swinger back shock Shimano LX components really good if you upgrade brakes to juicy 5

Weaknesses:    Could be better at climbing but still good

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike highly recommend buying one.

Submitted by BradC a Weekend Warrior from North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2010

Strengths:    Value for money. GREAT entry level ride. Makes a newbie feel like a pro.

Weaknesses:    Currently, I am weaker than the product so could not tell you.

Bottom Line:
Great entry level bike. I'm a newbie and have PUNISHED this ride (lotsa crashes) - no problems, it is tough. Has taken me down some of the harshest trails the North Shore has to offer. I'm not talking Flying Circus or anything, but it can handle Ned's, C-buster, Pipeline, etc. with no problems whatsoever. It has been fantastic. Locking out the Fox pro pedal on rear with Maestro makes a massive difference for technical climbing without bobbing - really great. Soaks up bigger drops than you'd expect for an all mountain, and even thought it doesn't have the head angle of the DH rigs you can still handle crazy steep roll outs. A great all-rounder that rides a pay grade above what you paid. Now I've got my eyes on the 2010 Reign X0...

Favorite Trail:   Bridle-Old Buck-Neds-Bottle Top

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Westwood Cycle, Port

Similar Products Used:   '97 Kona Hahanna(!), and, once, a borrowed Kona Dawg

Bike Setup:   2009 Reign 2 - stock.

Submitted by red devil a Weekend Warrior from Scotland

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2009

Strengths:    Awesome frame and shock, mostly good components, great for up and down, pretty light, good value for money

Weaknesses:    Manitou Splice fork not so good... Seemed good at the time (due to lack of experience), and worked alright as a fork for about a year, then the bushings started to go, then the rebound went... Got some nice Marz AM3 now. Same situation with the Hayes Soles... Seemed good at the time, and worked nicely, but as time went by they just weren't up to the job. Hayes Strokers fixed that nicely. Rear shock, while good, does tend to lose air pretty rapidly. Maybe need to fill up about every 3-4 weeks, or less. Umm the LX mechs didn't work well for me. They worked, just not very nicely. Also the saddle is falling apart a bit now, but that's to be expected really. That about all I can complain about.

Bottom Line:
Amazing bike, when it's got the right components on it. Stock works absolutely fine, and could manage pretty much anything, it's just I'm a bit of a perfectionist and like my bike to run and stop nicely. Rear shock can handle the big stuff, from the drops to extreme brake bumps and high speed, and can handle equally the long climbs to the quick bursts rocky ascents. That is, when it has enough air in it. Most people saying it can't do up haven't got it set up right. When it is, it performs superbly. I can out do friends on hardtails due to the Maestro system giving me the stability on rocks and roots without the bob. So, I would defintiely recommend this bike if you're prepared to upgrade some parts, and if you aren't it will still do the job.

Favorite Trail:   Innerleithen

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Slayer, Giant XTC, uhh... Apolla Vendetta...

Bike Setup:   Much upgraded now. Stock, except for: Marzocchi All Mountain 3 forks, Hayes Stroker Carbon brakes, Shimano XT front and (Shadow)rear mechs, Syncros Gain Carbon bars, Thomson X4 stem, Dr Bomb grips, DMR V8 pedals

Submitted by BlackSCRunner a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Strengths:    6" Travel, Reasonably Lighweight, Awesome frame for the money, better deal than other Reign models, upgrade to suit, save money OR get it just like you like it!

Weaknesses:    Some components required immediate replacement due to my personal tastes; splice fork was junk way undersized for this rig, deraillers and shifters were terrible, this is mainly due to the foolish rapid-rise system. I swapped my old XT 9 speed triggers and deraillers in, problem solved. Stock bars are low and heavy, stock stem is to long, conti tires were terrible, trailbears rock! wtb saddle a little uncomfy for me, but not terrible...loveseat is overkill, but nice! grips were not good, oury is the way to go! The stock components work fine, I just did not like some of them. Friends have this bike stock and are happy. The bike is heavier than very high end 6" rigs, and of course high end hardtails. This is me being picky...

Bottom Line:
I haven't been looking at the newer models (from Giant or anyone else) since I bought this bike. So, I don't know if there are better bikes for the money out there now, but when I bought this, there weren't. I moved from a hardtail to this, and I rode a LOT of FS rigs (including some MUCH more expensive models) before deciding on this bike. You can ride it as is, or upgrade to suit, and the frame is killer! I only notice that my bike (sporting 2.5's) is slow/heavy on pavement or open fireroads when the XC boys blast by me, but on tight gnarly single track, steep downhills, and rock gardens, I feel right at home. I think on some stuff I am a lot faster, a lot easier on my lightweight hardtail, but on anything rough I am having a LOT more fun on this bike. FWIW I like the looks of the 2005 design better than the newer models through 08. As I look now, the '09 does look pretty sweet though! If you are looking for a 6" travel bike on somewhat of a budget, I would strongly consider throwing a leg over one of these!

Favorite Trail:   The next one I find

Purchased At:   Slick Rock Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro, Bighit, I test rode a lot of bikes in this category I wish I could remember them all, but the Reign beat them all!

Bike Setup:   Currently Marzocchi Drop Off Fork, Nixon Platinum Fork is out for repair, but works very well, not too long lived before it broke though :-/ Raceface bash ring, Oury Grips, XT standard trigger shifters & deraillers, trailbear tires, azonic loveseat, answer protaper bars, truvativ short 31.8 stem, thomson short 31.8 stem is out for replacement, stock hayes sole brakes w 6" rotors, but eyeing the elixir CR's, cateye enduro 8 computer, stock pedals, stock cranks & BB, stock swinger shock.

Submitted by mtnbikerb a Weekend Warrior from Baton Rouge

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Strengths:    Soaks up hits,bumps,rocks,and roots really well with little to no chain slap.

Weaknesses:    Bobs like a cork while fishing for bream. Sluggish Climbs. Rear Shock needs to be rebuilt.

Bottom Line:
Good investment for entry level full suspension but I wish I could afford a Santa Cruz or Rocky Mountain which would probably reduce the bob. Nevertheless, would recommend.

Favorite Trail:   City Park

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Had a GT XCR 3000 Idrive before this.

Bike Setup:   Standard Components but added a race face stem to shorten the feel, I'm 6'2" and ride the 21XL. The bike feels a little big sometimes even though a have correct leg angles. Added some platform pedals. Upgraded the disc brakes to Hayes 9's b/c the sole felt mushy all the time.

Submitted by dudezer88 a Weekend Warrior from Longmont, CO, United States

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2009

Strengths:    Great Frame Design and Rear Suspension. Really soaks up the bumps and big hits. Most components are decent spec.

Weaknesses:    Hayes So1e brakes will probably break, Splice fork is heavy and not very supple, stock tires are pretty sketchy

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike to have for technical riding. The splice fork is pretty clunky and heavy. I replaced it with a Magura AM fork and everything got smoother.

The Hayes brakes are cheap. They do have good power and modulation if you're a lightweight like me (150lbs), but I can see how they would not be adequate for heavier riders. They also aren't very durable, I broke a seal or something on the rear brake after only half a season of riding.

The pedals, drivetrain, rims, and Shimano components are all top notch. If you have the scratch to go up a model (Reign 2 or 1) you may save yourself some money in the long run but this bike is perfectly upgradable down the road.

Favorite Trail:   Hall Ranch

Bike Setup:   Replaced Splice with Magura Laurin 130 (excellent so far). WTB Velociraptor in back Conti Mountain King up front. Will very soon have Avid Elixir CR's.

Submitted by 9teen8ty4 a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2008

Strengths:    Bought the 2006 model of this bike last year in 2007. Have really enjoyed riding this bike at my local trails. The frame is definitely the best part of this bike, as well as the Fox Float R that comes stock. The sram X-7 shifters and rear derailleur that come stock are great too. This bike is great for riding on challenging up and down single track trails, and some light freeride stuff.

Weaknesses:    The main weaknesses that I found are the, stock fork (replaced it with a Rock Shox Pike 454), stock wheel set (replaced it with Mavic 729 disc), stock brakes (replacing them next season with avid juicy 5's or 7's), and finally the stock tires (replaced them with Kenda Nevegal 2.35 Tomac's)

Bottom Line:
Stock, this is a good all mountain trail bike. With a few tweaks and upgrades this bike can be a great all mountain trail bike. Been riding it for nearly two whole seasons up here in Canada, and this bike has not given me any major headaches yet. Buy this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley Trail

Purchased At:   Cycle Solutions

Similar Products Used:   Nothing.

Bike Setup:   See product weaknesses.

Submitted by Octiva a Weekend Warrior from Macau SAR, China

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2008

Strengths:    Long travel gives more fun on stairs and lower drop-offs. Geo's very fit for me, drivetrain's fine

Weaknesses:    A little bit heavy for me. Rear Shock without lockout. Tora fork sucks so I changed a Vanilla RLC on. Stock wheelset's suck too, waiting for a new X430/XTR disc wheelset. Stock WTB 2.3 tires are weak on stairs

Bottom Line:
Not BAD!!!

Favorite Trail:   Stairs

Purchased At:   Wing Lei Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Stock bike except the Vanilla RLC and Specialized Pro 2.3 tires

Submitted by sharpbrick a Racer from Norwalk, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2008

Strengths:    the rear suspension is great and the ride position is good. the frame is very solid. climes very well and descends like a bat out of hell! the ground clearance it good for a bike of this type too.

Weaknesses:    the Hayes sole disk brakes [the 6in rotors are not enough] watch the rear suspension bolts, on my bike they have a tendency to come loose. [that could be because i ride hard almost every day]

Bottom Line:
this as a amazing bike for what it costs, is amazing at going downhill as well as up hill and the Maestro rear suspension is great! I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS BIKE TO ANY ONE WHO WANTS A ALL MOUNTAIN BIKE!

Favorite Trail:   Indian Ledges

Purchased At:   smart cycles, Norwal

Similar Products Used:   Specialized XC, Kona Kikapu

Bike Setup:   Hayes 8in rotors, bash guard, Fox float R, Rockshox Tora 302 air

Submitted by Nick a Weekend Warrior from Orange, CA. USA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2008

Strengths:    Awesome frame, great suspension design. Solid on the downhills and a real steady climber (as long as you don't stand up to climb) I am 6'4 and can make it bob a bit when I really grind. Great bike for your buck, this was my first MTB so I was not sure how commited I was going to be....Now I am hooked.

Weaknesses:    Hayes Brakes were a joke, I actually had the front ones break and had to send them back. The headset made me hunch over a bit too much, and I've already blown the seals on the front forks. (looks like the same complaints as everybody else)

Bottom Line:
Great bike for your buck, solid craftsmanship. I knew I was compromising the componentry when I setteled for the bottom of the barrel Regin "3". The frame is pretty much the same as the higher end model so at least I can build up the compenents as the wallet permits me to do so.

Overall it's a great bike for a beginer or new-comer to the sport-you can get in and not break the bank. And it's got plenty of room for improvements.

Favorite Trail:   Fullerton Loop

Purchased At:   Orange Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Easton 2" Rise Bars, Easton Neck, Serfas Grips, Avid Juicy 5 Brakes front and rear, Maxxis High Roller Tires.

Submitted by Guelbert Abellana a Cross Country Rider from McAllen, TX

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2007

Strengths:    Climba like a goat.

Weaknesses:    The stock hayes sole brakes and stock fork.

Bottom Line:
This bike makes me ride like a pro!

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Manitou nixon elite fork
Manitou 3-way SPV rear shock
Shimano LX front/rear der.
Shimano LX crankset
Shimano LX front & rear brakes with LX integrated brakes/levers
8" front/rear rotors
Easton 50 midrise handlebars, easton 50 90mm 5 deg rise stem, easton 50 seatpost
2.3 chunder tires

Submitted by Dino from T.O., CA., USA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2007

Strengths:    Solid frame and pivots, no bob, absorbs everything, great price for what you get, decent looking.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy, but how many "affordable" 6-inch travel bikes aren't? Sole brakes aren't the best; Splice fork sucked

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money-especially if you get a deal like the one I got. With the components I added/swapped out, it's a pretty nice bike; even if still a bit heavy.

The Splice fork developed some kind of noise, so I bought a (barely) used Nixon Platinum with 145mm travel, and that really complemented the rear susp. nicely.

The Sole brakes are a bit better now, but the adjustment screw in the lever still backs out a little-probably fixable with some loctite.

Favorite Trail:   Procupine Rim

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Similar Products Used:   Nothing with quite this much travel. I also have a Weyless XP with a Fox Vanilla RC and 5th Element-which I really like.

Bike Setup:   Manitou Nixon Platinum fork, 2.5-inch rise h-bar, Mavic 717 wheels w/Nevegal and Pracer Smoke, Eggbeater pedals

Submitted by jaydub a Downhiller from boise

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2007

Strengths:    Great rear shock! still running, Manitou Swinger with SPV 3 way. Wheels are sturdy and light. Great downhill bike! I am 50 years young and need the kush!

Weaknesses:    Hayes sole brakes, ugh. Manitou Splice fork (can you say inconsistant?). The bar stem was too long, replaced with short one. I am 5'9" and the wheel base is a bit long.

Bottom Line:
A GREAT first bike! I wasn't sure I would like MTB but I got hooked and after a couple hundred miles, have upgraded most of the components. I like the frame that well but am interested in the 2008 version (lighter!). Like I said I need the kush ride it gives, especially after adding the Fox Float R. Oh, man, let it rip!

Here is what I have done with it after wearing it down! 3 chains and 3 rear tires, but it took a lot of rides to do it!

the Sole brakes broke, replaced with avid juicys; I got sick of the splice fork 6 months later, replaced with Fox float R; shifters kinda wore out, replaced with shimano xt; bent middle chain ring (soft and stressed?) and wore out cassette, replaced with truvativ gtx and sram cassette.

Favorite Trail:   sidewinder

Purchased At:   bobs of course!

Similar Products Used:   first mtb; I own a trek fuel e6 also as a backup.

Bike Setup:   Fox float R fork; Manitou Swinger SPV 3 way; Truvativ GXP crankset; Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic discs; Shimano xt shifters.

Submitted by Nam a Cross Country Rider from Socal

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2007

Strengths:    climbs better than my old 4" FSR bike and descends a hell of a lot better. This bike has helped me really step up my game. You can fly through rock gardens with no brakes and just point the bike down and it will go there.

Weaknesses:    seat stay bearings went bad in a few months, upgraded to Enduro

Bottom Line:
for the money, it is hard to beat the package that Giant gives you. I bought the frame only so i was able to build it to my own spec, but with some changes to the stock bike it can be a sweet ride indeed.

Favorite Trail:   Luge, Oaks

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Bike Setup:   Z1 Light ETA, SRAM X9, XT cranks, Juicy 7 brakes 203/180, custom wheel set

Submitted by Mungo a Cross Country Rider from Ayr

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2007

Strengths:    It is not too heavy!! It handles round the corners really well jumps effortlessly. The maestro suspension system really works well on the uphills and on the downhills it is superb!!!!!! the forks are really PLUSH!!!! I love it!!!

Weaknesses:    non so far

Bottom Line:
THE BEST

Favorite Trail:   Wolftrax, Laggan

2012 Reign 2 or new Trance 27.5 3

I have a budget of about 2000. for a bike for my son.(experienced rider) I found a clean 2012 reign 2 for around 1200. I priced a new Trance 27.5-3 for about 2000. Big difference in price that would be used for dropper post ect. Is the reign a good bike or would you buy new with the warranty ec ... Read More »

18" FS Giant Reign 3?

Im looking for another bike and came across this on locally and wanted to know your opinions on his price and upgrades he has added. I'm currently riding a trek 3500 and would like to get my feet wet on a decent FS bike. This is the Craigslist add for the bike. [url=http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik ... Read More »

200 fork on a gaint reign 3?

Can i put a 200 m"m fork on my gaint reign 3 2007?Read More »

Is this a good deal on a 2005 Giant Reign 3? please help

Hey guys I am pretty new to mountain biking, I currently ride a 2007 specialized hardrock sport. I was wondering if this was a good deal, and a good upgrade for me to start getting into the full suspension bikes? I do not have much money to spend on a nicer new bike. [url=http://orangecounty.crai ... Read More »

Is this a good deal for a 2005 Giant Reign 3?