Giant Reign 2 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.5/5 (103 Reviews)

Six inches of aggressive Maestro Suspension offer maximum control when it’s needed most. With a balanced ALUXX SL aluminum frame, including a super-stiff OverDrive front end and 15QR thru-axle fork for maximum control, you’ll master technical climbs and flow down rough descents on the all-new Reign.
  • Fox 32 Float RL with 15QR thru-axle, 150mm travel, tapered steerer tube suspension fork, Fox RP2 Boostvalve with XV sleeve, rear shock
  • SRAM/Shimano component mix with Shimano M445 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Giant Connect alloy handlebar, stem and seatpost
  • DT Swiss 465D rim, Giant Tracker (F, 15mm)/Shimano M475 (R) hubs, stainless spoke wheelset
  • Color: White/Red

Submitted by Oceandive

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs well, no bobbing. Descends like it should, very well. Plush suspension, there when needed.

Weaknesses:    Seat post doesn't seem to come up all the way unless I lower completely then let it try and snap up. Brakes a little weak and would probably be first upgrade. Front is light in the climbs, but very manageable.

Bottom Line:
    After reading many reviews of reign vs I final decided to take the plunge like most of the reviews said. Bang for buck this is a very nice ride. Most everything else with these components and parts put the bike closer to $3000 and out of my range. While a lot of things opened up at $3000, this bike is great at $2200.

Coming from a hardtail 29, this is definitely a different animal. Doesn't climb or roll as well, which is to be expected, but it climbs great none the less. It descends a hell of a lot better and makes you more confident. Breaking is very nice, just needs more power. On steep climbs never lost traction or slipped the rear. You won't beat your xc friends up, but you will stay with them and enjoy the ride down more.

Bottom line, if you're on the fence then you should lean towards the purchase side. I did and have 0 regrets of not jumping to the $3000 category. It's a great bike.

Submitted by jj vance

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2013

Strengths:    This bike pedals fantastic for an All Mountain Machine. I think the value of this bike is incredible when you look at the specs and match against other All Mountain machines. Plush 6" of travel that can handle about anything you need.

Weaknesses:    None so far .... Color?

Bottom Line:
    I live in Bend Oregon and am blessed with a fantastic network of trails. I was being pushed to a 29'er but rented the Reign a couple of times at Hutches Bikes (great staff). Bombing down some of our jump trails I found the bike responsive, playful, and very stable in all conditions. It blew me away on the how well it pedals up hill (been riding a 2005 Kona Primo Dawg). I swear this bike makes me a better rider. Bought on clearance and could not be happier with the bike. I weight 165 but if you weigh more than 200, you might want a beefier rear shock spec. Bike is easy to set-up and dial in to your preferences. Glad I pulled the trigger and bought this bike ... could not be happier.

Submitted by lee

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2013

Strengths:    very strong frame, I have hammered my reign 1 for a long time and its never failed... 15ft drop offs and downhills that killed a kona stinky!! my spec is not standard. the original brakes are weak so put some hope mono 4 pots and 203/185 discs on, I have marzocchi 888's, fox rp23 maxed out by tf tuned (suspension wizards) and hope pro2 evo's with halo sas wheels. go for a 2x10 set upfor great all mountain fun.

Weaknesses:    look after the bearings regularly. grit does get behind the dust caps and swap out the standard headset. fsa pig is good as replacement with no fuss. standard wheels are good for novices but cant handle heavier stuff.

Bottom Line:
    a great all round bike for the price although you will need to upgrade parts as you progress. 6" travel is good and handles pretty much most unless you are a maniac. put on a coil rear shock or get your air tuned for big hits (tf tuned). the rock shox fork is mediocre and not infalable... swap it out asap for better or triple clamps if you want to go bigger. the brakes are not sintered and wear fast... I swapped out for hope 4 pots with floating rotors and I stop on a dime!! ive owned one better bike for similar duties and it cost more so this is a bargain if you can put up with slightly disappointing equipment.

Submitted by adamuchan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2013

Strengths:    Great frame, great wheels

Weaknesses:    Rock Shox forks(Creeking at steerer & crown), monarch rear shock(Blown twice),, Avid elixir brakes (3 months use and are to the steel, crap feedback when get hot), sram crankset teeth are week and are already wearing

Bottom Line:
    In NZ I have a 2013 reign 2 and so far after owning for 3 months, The rear shock has blown twice the front for forks have separated from the steerer tube and are now creaking, the head bearings make this loud crackling sound when you turn the handlebars. Im not a fan of the componentry on this bike it really bums me out.
    I have a 2010 Specialized pitch which has avid elxirs 3's on it and the pads have gone 2 years after replacement.
    It appears that the pads in the factory models arent sintered and die real quick.
    The main moan about this bike is the amount of time its been in the shop with shock and fork issues. I was told to buy this and not the reign 1 as the bike mechanic reckoned that they have more more forks coming back than rock shox and when rockshox moved their operations over to China their quality control went right up.
    Bollocks!!! My mate has the same reign, has the same issues, bike shop manager has the same reign and when I went in this morning her bike is sitting on the bench in bits as her shock had just blown also.
    gutted... My advice.... buy the Reign 1

Favorite Trail:   huckleberry, Rotorua Redwoods NZ

Duration Product Used:   I ride 5 - 6 days a week

Purchased At:   Rotorua Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Pitch Pro

Submitted by Largextracheese

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2012

Strengths:    Light but strong, fantastic climber, stiff frame, very good braking, great geometry.

Weaknesses:    Fox rp23 is lackluster, cablerouting is not ideal, needs a straight seatube.

Bottom Line:
    This is the best all around (2011 reign 2) bike I've owned. Nothing on mine is stock other than the rp23. I finally found a bike that is an adept climber yet can clobber the same trails that I ride my DH bike down. I've got a fox 180 float on the front and the bike just makes me super confident on the steeps. I was really surprised at how light this frame was when I got it. I have rode nasty northwest steeps for months and have yet to find a weakness other than the fox rp23. You can feel the shock holding the bike back from it's potential. A coil is in my future. Awesome bike!

Submitted by runningchicken

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2012

Strengths:    Very solid bike at a great price! I have had the bike for 2 weeks and have ridden everyday since the purchase. This bike rides like butter in all conditions and so far handles extremely well. The geometry and sizing of the bike feels great for my size (5'11" 170lbs/size large).

Weaknesses:    -The Elixir 1's are garbage
    -The X5 shifters are not bad, but not good.

Bottom Line:
    Great bike and would recommend to all riders.

Submitted by jmm337

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2012

Strengths:    Awesome geometry, suspension and handling. So epic on down hills

Weaknesses:    Press fit bb does not allow for a chain guide. Cable routing tens to rub on mistro link. Steerer tube size means you need to buy giant stem.

Bottom Line:
    Buy it. This is hands down the most fun bike to ride. I race DH so tend to ride it as if it was my dh bike, and it handles it surprisingly well. I'v done xc races on it, not ideal, but quite fun when you leave the carbon 29ers behind.

Submitted by hooverGiant a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2012

Strengths:    Overall this bike is pretty strong! Not too heavy, great company, for the money good components! A good bike out of the box, could be an awesome bike with some upgrades!

Weaknesses:    Rear shock "pro-pedal" is crap! I don't buy it and don't like it! I would rather have a lockout than pro-pedal... Basically all the pro-pedal does is slow the rebound alittle! I have adjusted pressure several times and some, and after talking to others on the trails having the same issue I came to the conclusion it doesn't work! My next upgrade is a rear shock!
    Also Giant could of put a little better fork on the bike, but I really can't complain about it.

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the 2012 Reign 2.. Overall I love this bike! Other than not having lockout for them uphill XC/AM trails, this bike rips! It flows good, easy to handle and looks good..

Favorite Trail:   Deer Valley

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rincon.
    Rocky Mountain.
    Trek.
    KHS.
    Santa Cruz.

Bike Setup:   2012 Reign 2: all stock except: Atlas bars, Straitline De Facto pedals, Straitline BashGuard, 2X9 setup with 24t/36t, Race Face grips, Salsa seat post lock, SRAM 991 chain..

Submitted by -sly- a Downhiller from Moscow

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2012

Strengths:    First of all I am glad with its weight my stock bike(L-size frame) has only 13.7 with BMX Utmost pedals. Also it looks pretty good, and I have a stomach feeling that it would be good in real trails.

Weaknesses:    1. Rear QR hub it is not good for this bike, I have to change it to a new hub 135x10mm.
    2. Brake and shifter hoses are runs to close to the rear shock stock and can rub it.
    3. And totally make me mad the new BB71 and no way for chain guide mount, Giant engineers are idiots with this solution! it is epic fail for such good bike!

Bottom Line:
    Very good bike with some stupid things in design.

Favorite Trail:   Bannoe hill

Purchased At:   Omni bike

Similar Products Used:   I have only one full suspension bike before it is Norco shore 2006, and it is very good bike if weight not take to consider :)

Bike Setup:   it has still factory setup, I only changed the rear hub as i said before and in future I want setup a bash guard and add a bionocon chain guide.

Submitted by Killing_UT a All Mountain Rider from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2012

Strengths:    The frame and bike layout is perfect! I bought a 11 on clearance at my local bike shop. I upgraded to XT components and shifters. I also had them put on some Avid 7s as well as put on some 745mm bars too!! Taking it to Moab this weekend! Cant wait

Weaknesses:    Not a huge fan of the components that came stock on it but they would be solid for anyone if they couldn't afford right out of the gate

Bottom Line:
    Any Reign anyone buys is going to amaze them! This bike is the all mountain climber and destroyer of hills!

Favorite Trail:   All of Moab!

Submitted by punkhead69 a Weekend Warrior from union city,ca usa

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2011

Strengths:    light and very steady.goes up the hill pretty good almost as good as an xc bike and you can bomb the down hill.maestro suspension kills it so far on all the bikes i have tested

Weaknesses:    the rear shock(fox rp2) needs a little bit more air than the normal set up. rear brake is a bit weak specially on highspeed downhills(maybe needs a bigger rotor)other than that the bike just owns!

Bottom Line:
    this bike will give you more confidence wherever you go!

Favorite Trail:   greenbelt trail hayward ca./JMP oakland ca.

Purchased At:   eden bicycles

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz heckler/santacruz butcher/bmc trail fox/bmc speed fox

Bike Setup:   just added rockshox rever command post and everything else stock

Submitted by Tone's L'axeman a Weekend Warrior from sydney city Australia

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2011

Strengths:    Massive bang for buck,lighter than my STP hardtail,maestro pivot strong and tight,great welds,nice geometry for chucking around,looks the bomb in saturn black/gold 2012,best reign colours ever IMO,feels great to ride anywhere

Weaknesses:    stem to long,changed to 50mm. bars to short and low,changed to 710mm 50mm rise. rp2 rear shock bottoms out on 4-5 ft drops no matter how much psi,fox could do better, avid breaks rotor rubs on pads sometimes after drops,no chain guide provision, bad squishy giant grips.

Bottom Line:
    This 2012 reign is black magik. with a few small changes its riding like a dream. nimble, no slop, im 80kg, 1m70cm, I ride a Medium size, and it feels perfect for me. If your round my height DONT get a Small size, its to cramped. This bike feels great on the trails, rides/feels like a D/J bike even with 6" travel. fox fork is tougher than i thought,holds up well to most abuse. This bike loves eating up city flights of stairs, im surprised just how well. Rides great uphill n better down. No pedal bob at all, with right psi in rear. The reign looks slick back in black. So buy this bike if your thinking bout it,you wont regret it. Hope this review helps a fellow rider out there, cheers n happy ridin....

Favorite Trail:   Any bit of bush

Purchased At:   inner city cycles,gl

Similar Products Used:   spec pitch comp,[reign kills it]

Bike Setup:   2012 Black/Gold reign 2,Medium size Blackmarket underboss stem 50mm, Deity DH/Street 710mm 50mm rise handlebar, Crank Bros 50/50 pedals, Odi rouge grips, rest is stock

Submitted by Steenbra a Weekend Warrior from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2011

Strengths:    Great suspension. Bang for buck!!

Weaknesses:    Depending on riding style, change the brakes

Bottom Line:
    Nothing better in the price range. Giant spec their bikes great for the price.. The design is flawless.
    All mountain machine but would need to change the Fox Float for more demanding downhill. With the pro-pedal at the back great for XC as well. At approximately 13kg a breeze on the climb..

Favorite Trail:   Huinganal