Giant Reign 0 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.55/5 (44 Reviews)

Six inches of aggressive Maestro Suspension offer maximum control when it’s needed most. With a balanced ALUXX SL aluminum frame, including a super-stiff OverDrive front end and 15QR thru-axle fork for maximum control, you’ll master technical climbs and flow down rough descents on the all-new Reign.
  • Fox 32 Talas FIT RL with 15QR thru-axle, 120-150mm travel, tapered steerer tube suspension fork, Fox RP23 Boostvalve with XV sleeve, rear shock
  • Shimano Deore XT M770 componentry with Avid Elixir CR disc brakes
  • Giant Contact alloy handlebar, stem and Crank Brothers Joplin-4 seatpost
  • DT Swiss Tricon M1700, Giant LTD edition wheelset
  • Color: Black/Neon Green

Submitted by Enduro Minded Mtber

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2014

Strengths:    Very Light (with upgrades mine is 27.9 lbs.), super comfortable, climbs like a goat, descends very well, dropper is a nice addition, looks nice?

Weaknesses:    I've been having lots of problems with chain dropping, and I have now broken 4 chain guides. Dropper occasionally needs some work or fiddling with the cable.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike for around a year, put nearly 2,000 miles on it, or 150 hours or so. I ride almost any trail in the Southern California area. Mostly around OC for anyone wondering. Laguna to the Santa Ana Mountains, I do it all.
Like previously mentioned, this bike climbs very well. It is one of the lightest aluminum AM/ Enduro bikes I have ridden. But, descending is where it gets a little "loose". Talas was a waste of time because it was not able to handle large rollers and rock gardens without getting completely "G'd out". Float CTD is working great( i keep bottoming it though, it constantly needs more air). Also, I had Easton Haven 2013 wheels which i decided to put on this bike (i have pushed these wheels very hard and they have never gone off true).
Now for the drivetrain. X9/X0 components are awesome.Carbon Cranks are cool, but it is inevitable that you will scratch the bottom of them, but it does not affect performance. Brakes work really well, although they are sometimes loud and fade quickly. The chainguide is where the problems are coming from. If and when your chain comes off, it will be very difficult to get it back into the chain guide. Also, as I have previously stated, the chain guides keep breaking just from normal use. So, I did not replace the 4th one. I just live with the chain slap and put a chain stay protector on.
All in all, this bike is probably the best bang for buck unless you find a higher spec'd bike on sale or something. Goes up and down extremely well and will continue to do so for years to come.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Laguna/ Aliso

Duration Product Used:   a year

Purchased At:   The Path Bikeshop

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Teocali, Santa Cruz Bronson, Kona Process and Tanuki, Turner 5. Spot

Bike Setup:   Upgraded wheels to Easton Havens, Bars to Easton Haven carbon, stem to Easton Haven, Fork to RS Pike solo air, Front tire to Schwalbe Hans Dampf.

Submitted by GRANT

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2013

Strengths:    none worst bike ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    this bike is the absoloute worst bike ever made the frame is to weak and the back shock sucks it cant even five set of stairs without blowing out the seals and feeling like crap! the bottom bracket gets clipped on all the rocks the seat is to light weight and the fork just sucks it gets blown out to easy and the tires are horrible and the stock pedals have no grip at all the rims bubble to easy and fold really easy the back derailure cant even withstand a bump from a rock without bending and coming off the seat post is to high the handlebars are to short and shifting gets completley deystroyed within a month and the brakes get warped just by normal use.

Bottom Line:
NEVER BUY THIS WORTHLESS DUMPER BIKE UNLESS YOU WANT TO SNAP YOUR FRAME AND BRAKE EVERY PART ON YOUR BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by T.R.

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2013

Strengths:    Very capable bike on the XC side of 'All Mountain' Goes up and down anything the rider has the skill to do. Lightweight for what it is, great Maestro suspension.

Weaknesses:    The stock 32mm Talas fork isn't up to the task as well as some other minor component issues. That's the reason I knocked the rating down to 4 chilis.

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my review below. I now have roughly 9 months and 650 miles on this bike on the very technical trails of northern Colorado.

I still think this bike is the perfect 'one bike quiver' for me but have noticed a couple weaknesses (mainly in component spec). First, the stock Fox 32 Talas fork is not quite up to the task on this bike. My Talas had issues from day one anyway ( and went back for warranty service) but even when it was working, the Talas was just too flexy for the kind of riding this bike is capable of. I switched the stock fork out for a 2014 Rock Shox Pike and it's incredible...the Pike is so much stiffer and more active than the Talas was and I can now truly push this bike to its (and my) limits. I will also say that if you want to be able to climb anything technical, I would highly recommend an adjustable travel fork if you switch out from the stock fork.

When I made the fork switch, I also went back to a 'regular' 1 1/8 tapered fork and lost the 'Overdrive 2' setup with the 1 1/4 taper. This gives me more stem and headset options if I ever need them and standardizes the bike a little more.

The stock Schwalbe Nobby Nic tires weren't up to the task in the rocky, technical areas that I ride and I had destroyed the rear in around 160 miles. I got about 250 miles out of the front before it was shot too. The Nics sidewalls are WAY too thin for aggressive riding in rocky areas. I now have 2.35 Nevegals on the front and rear and they have been bulletproof for several hundred miles so far.

The stock brake pads in the Elixir 9 brakes are the worst noisiest things I have ever used. I ditched them and bought some cheap Serfas pads that run circles around the stock Avids.

Other than that, the bike has been brilliant. I haven't had any issues with the pivots, rear shock, or most of the rest of the components. The stock Giant/ DT wheelset is a technical wonder; mine are still dead straight and they have been pummeled with rocks...there are dents and gouges out of the rims and bent spokes and they are still perfectly tensioned and true. The frame took a huge rock to the lower tube on a descent which left a good size dent but it hasn't affected anything with the integrity of the frame.

I don't really care what the future holds with all this 27.5 wheel size nonsense. I'm going to hold on to my Reign until I break it in half. It's a great bike.

Purchased At:   Breakaway Cycles

Bike Setup:   Stock with 2014 Pike fork, Nevegal Tires, aftermarket brake pads, Thomson stem and post, Easton carbon bars.

Submitted by Farmer Ted a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2012

Strengths:    sram XO/ x9 spec, chain guide, no chain slap!, plush, lightweight, adjustable travel fork, maestro suspension, the perfect all-around bike

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This is for the 2013 model. I wanted something with more travel and stability than an XC bike or even a trail bike for our super technical trails here in Northern Colorado. I ended up with the Reign because I didn't want a 29er for this kind of riding and no one does 'bang for the buck' better than Giant. I'm mainly an XC type rider, I guess; I ride up and down everything the mountain can throw at me and have been doing so for 25 years back when a mountain bike was just a 'mountain bike'.

But enough of that. I was pretty sure the Reign was what I wanted but I also wondered about it's weight, climbing ability, the slack geometry, etc, etc. My concerns turned out to be moot as I have found the Reign to be the ultimate do it all trail bike for me. I have cleaned all of my local technical climbs on it just as I have with my XC bike. The travel adjust feature on the Talas is very helpful for climbing...just drop that front end down when it gets steep going up and it feels like a short travel XC bike. On the climbs and the flats, the Maestro suspension rewards a smooth pedal stroke with no real bob to speak of. I run mine wide open pretty much all the time and don't bother with the fiddly compression adjustments on the shock or the fork; I'm not a real believer in compression damping and only use rebound damping on the rear to keep the pogo stick effect down. I like my suspension to be as active as it can be at all times, not choked off with damping. I do, however, use the 'climb' setting on the fork and shock for short stretches of pavement that link me from trail to trail...kind of how I used the pro pedal setting on the older Fox stuff.

Descending on this bike is a treat...it just sucks everything up you can throw at it. You'll come up on a weird rock section where there's no good line and think 'this is going to hurt' and the bike just sucks it up and flies through it with total stability and control. Amazing. On smooth, twisty descents it's very stable at speed but still reasonably 'flickable', even with the slack head angle.

The Sram X9, X0 component spec has been perfect. I was a little worried about having carbon cranks on a bike like this, especially with the rocks in my area but I've had nothing to worry about so far and have based them on a few rocks. Others that I know who have run these cranks say they are indestructible. The roller clutch equipped rear derailleur and the MRP 2X chain guide eliminate 99% of chain slap even in the roughest sections...I'm not kidding. I am totally blown away. You don't really even need to run a chainstay pad. I've become a Sram convert over the past few years and expect great durability and longevity out of this drivetrain. I was a little skeptical of the 2x drivetrain since this is my first one, but so far I like it. It's geared as low as my 3X9 bikes and is just missing a little bit of the high gearing but I can live without that; it's not really a 'big ring burner' type bike anyway. As long as it's geared low enough to get me up that steep technical stuff, I'm happy.

I have decided that if I had to only have one bike that fit the type if riding in my area and does it all pretty well, this would be it. I am totally sold on the Reign as a true 'all mountain' pedal it up and down anything kind of bike. If that's what you're looking for, then this is the one to get.

Purchased At:   Breakaway Cycles

Similar Products Used:   no other AM bikes but I have a Giant Anthem X (26") and had an older BMC Trailfox

Bike Setup:   Stock with tubeless conversion, traded the dropper post for a Thompson, and Easton carbon bars.

Submitted by ecly13 a Racer from San Diego

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2012

Strengths:    Best Damn value in the bizness. If your new to the sport buy a giant. They give you everything necessary to get off on the right pedal(LOL).

Weaknesses:    Once you can distinguish between frames you'll want something burlier.

Bottom Line:
I loved my reign, but i need a more capable AM bike. The thing is sick and you will never regret spending the money on one. Only reason im buying a diff frame is because i wonder if a diff bike really can make you ride better. I'm getting a nomad and im wondering if my skills will get better. Rider or equipment?? Dont know yet.

Favorite Trail:   Noble canyon

Purchased At:   Bicycle warehouse

Similar Products Used:   Nomad, tracer, blur, and a 29er specialized.

Bike Setup:   stock reign zero components

Submitted by chpnke a Cross Country Rider from Mexico

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2010

Strengths:    Sturdiness, Who cares about how much this bike weights, it is absolutely capable of tackling steep climbs and on the descent feels like a DH bike

Weaknesses:    Frame dents easily, lack of bottomless feeling

Bottom Line:
This review is sets after years of ridding XC 100mm rigs (Element 70)
When climbing feels as efficient as the Element 70 (except on pavement uphills) i Was surprised how efficient climbing was, all i had to do was pedal in riding position where i felt as if i was walking on air. Usually on the element 70 i have to move all around the saddle alot while climbing somtimes as if im drowning, havent yet documented wich one is fastest to the top, but i can say the reign is fun to ride uphill. on the way down is a WOW, this is the true all mountain bike. I blazed through parts of the trial where i usually had to walk down. i went down parts where i havent even attempted. I had so much fun i did another lap.
This is the True All Mountain bike.

Favorite Trail:   El pinal

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Blur Lt, Ibis Mojo, Nomad, Pitch, Slayer.

Bike Setup:   2008 Frame with DHX 4.0 Air & 2010 Talas RLC Fit 150mm. Sram X9, Crossmax, Straitline 65mm Stem. Frame size L I am 5'10

Submitted by sigalution a Weekend Warrior from Layton, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2010

Strengths:    Asymmetrical head tube, press fit integrated BB, maestro suspension

Weaknesses:    DT Swiss used a proprietary nipple that has no known spoke wrench. Wheels must be returned to manufacturer for truing.

Bottom Line:
Does it all. Climb, drop, jump, style.

Favorite Trail:   Corner Canyon, Draper

Purchased At:   Biker's Edge

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Butcher, Nomad. GT force, Cannondale Jeckyl

Bike Setup:   Talas 32 RLC, Full XT Dyna-sys, Avid Elixir CR, Fox RP23

Submitted by Winnie69 a Downhiller from Victoria

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    The bike is very strong had no problems so far. It is also easy to though around and gets over most things that get in it path. Loving IT!!!

Weaknesses:    None Yet! If you where going to cross-country it can be a bit slow but you could set it up for it if you got the money.

Bottom Line:
Great bike well worth the money. Strong recommend this bike to people who wont to upgrade to downhill.

Favorite Trail:   You Yangs (track 13)

Purchased At:   A Friend

Submitted by stevieg9876 a Downhiller from West Yorkshire, UK

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2010

Strengths:    Looks Sh1t Hot!
20 inch frame great for 6ft 2 person
Great kit for money

Weaknesses:    DHX5 shocker bit on the soft side but you soon get used to it!

Bottom Line:
Had to wait 10 weeks for the bike to arrive due to out of stock, I almost cancelled it, but man am I glad I didn't - well worth the wait. This bike looks and goes great, and with the addition of the Pure Race seat dropper it is a fantastic bit of kit. I am 6ft 2 and my cube ams pro (2o in frame too) was a bit on the small side, but the Giant Reign 0 fits like a glove. I now know what the reviewer mean when they say you site into a bike. I always felt to sit on the top of my cude, but with the reign you feel part of it. It has done wonders for my downhill confidence levels - go and buy one!

Favorite Trail:   LLandegla

Purchased At:   All Terrain Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Previous bike was a cube ams pro 100

Bike Setup:   Talas 32 RLC,DHX5 Rear Shock, added a Pure Race i900 gravity dropper seat

Submitted by thedustybin a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2010

Strengths:    Does everything very well. The bike to do it all. Downhill, uphill jumps... if you land pretty smooth i would be happy for 4 foot drops no worries.

Weaknesses:    On downhill runs the forks feel a little on the light side. A pair of fox 36 talas would be simply awesome, however it would reduce the xc ability. Could think about swapping the rear shock for a rp23 if you dont do downhill type riding.

Bottom Line:
2010 reign 0. This bike is fantastic. I rode for 40min up the hill to get to the top of the downhill track. Wind the front forks down and put pro pedal on and you are riding a xc bike (but it weighs 13.2kg). Pedals very well especially out of the saddle. With some xc tyres on like a crossmark it would be fine to do the odd enduro and xc race (as long as you dont plan on beating the pros). Then on the way down wow! It really felt like i was on a DH bike. If you had a set of fox 36 you could race it on the less rough DH tracks. It is nimble, sticks to its line, is stable at speed and immediately feels at home. The brakes are magnificent as is all the running gear. Wheels are strong and light, and it is very well priced. Rear shock set up can be fiddly so get it dialed at the shop, then it is sweet. Buy one. you will be very happy!

Favorite Trail:   Doongala

Similar Products Used:   All sorts

Bike Setup:   Standard

Submitted by cesalec a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2010

Strengths:    Light, beautiful frame, can take a beating, the 0 comes with a TALAS, nice fork, probable better would be a revelation.

Weaknesses:    BB height (at least on mine, 2008)....it is so low that when the shok is active, your feet will hit every single small rock around....

Bottom Line:
Great bike, i just wish me feet would not hit every single small rock in the trail..l

Favorite Trail:   Lanser see

Purchased At:   Intersport Innsbruck

Similar Products Used:   GT Force, IH 7.3...

Bike Setup:   Everything original, except the tires (Schwalbes FA)

Submitted by DanaYares a Downhiller from Petaluma

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2009

Strengths:    Everything!! This bike is light, stiff, amazingly capable. Don't even bother learning how to corner, this bike will do it for you. Rocky steep climbs... pfsit... No problem. Rocky technical descents... double pfsit... I even pulled way from my husband a few times. This bike has changed my world!

Weaknesses:    doesn't come in pink. Jury's out on the WTB wheels.

Bottom Line:
I am a girl expert level DHer who has been using a Coiler Deluxe as an all mountain bike, and suffering mightily on the climbs as a consequence. Where I live you have to climb in order to descend. I didn't want to give up descending quality for climbing efficiency so I suffered to the point of not wanting to ride anymore. I couldn't be convinced that a 30lb, air sprung bike could meet my descending needs... Boy was I wrong! This bike ROCKS, I ascended & descended my local favorite trails faster than ever before.

Anyone want to buy a Kona?

Favorite Trail:   Impossible to say

Price Paid:    $2030.00

Purchased At:   Ceasar's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Enduro.

Bike Setup:   Fox DHX 4.0 air shock, Fox 32 15mil TA Float, Elixir brakes, X9 shifters, WTB wheels.

Submitted by Michael Ball a Weekend Warrior from Spain

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2009

Strengths:    Frame finish,climbing,descending,geometry,specification for the money

Weaknesses:    Standard tyres

Bottom Line:
This bike does everything.I've had to spend virtually nothing on this bike after 2 years of hard use apart from routine maintenace and pads and tyres.
I keep thinking about changing it but i can't see a bike that can rival it for the money,or give me as much pleasure as this bike does.Some people say its bland,what they mean is its really competent and gets on with the job.

Favorite Trail:   Savage,Sierra Espuna