Gary Fisher Roscoe III All Mountain Full Suspension

4.83/5 (12 Reviews)

• Frame: 6011 hydroformed butted aluminum mainframe & swingarm, G2 Geometry, top swing magnesium link, semi-integrated E2 headtube, ABP
  • Wheels: Bontrager Rhythm Pro Scandium, 15mm QR thru-axle, Bontrager XDX tires
  • Componentry: SRAM X.9 front derailleur, SRAM X.0 rear derailleur, SRAM X.0 shifters, Truvativ Noir crank, Avid Elixir CR hydraulic disc brakes
  • Suspension: Fox Talas FIT RLC, 140-120-100mm adjustable travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown; Custom Fox Float RP23 with DRCV, Boost Valve, 3-position Pro Pedal

Submitted by Leon Van der Veen a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2012

Strengths:    great GF steering, nice package, easy set up, floats in the air and lands like a superb dirt bike, climbs fast and easy, no extra fussy linkage, so nice details and finish, unbelievable grip and tracking with Nevegals, super fast XC use with XC race tires, feels like a custom race set up with minimal tuning, makes good rider rip & poor rider keep up, really is the best bike I have ever ridden. Love the so-cool offset spoke set up, makes a stronger, straighter rear wheel. Thanks GF!

Weaknesses:    back brake a bit mild, grips only for tiny hands, vile grey paint, shifts itself on big landings, heavy axles.

Bottom Line:
Fisher, now Trek, HAVE to be losing money on every lower end Roscoe. These materials and parts cost even if you make/buy hundreds. No wonder Trek dropped the Roscoe. That frame material is spooky close to recent high-perf cost-no-object aircraft parts. Only the axles, brake pads and grips are low budget. Even then I can`t bend an axle, so they will do for a while yet!
If you really do use chair lifts a lot buy a heavier package. Big guys and most others can not do better than a Roscoe for most other riding. Though that Cannondale sure was fast on XC trails. The easy susp set up is a MUST DO before you start. Don`t mind a little drifting, it`ll hook up again.

Favorite Trail:   Crank-it-up, Whistler

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   Secret Cycles, Coqui

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel, Cannondale XC race something, Specialized Epic, Transition 450, Cove Gspot( wow that is good, more all mountain), a GF crome-moly hard tail with magic good steering and climbing, Brodie Cretin( can`t climb but loves air).

Bike Setup:   grips meant for long range use from Mountain Equip Co-op, Nevegals, small block 8 or Maxxis XC tires, susp dialed for my size( a lot), everything lubed properly, wheels trued a few times,

Submitted by Mtnbiker a All Mountain Rider from Golden colorado usa

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2012

Strengths:    Great full suspension bike awesome shocks durable bike great travel

Bottom Line:
Best bike I have ever bought

Favorite Trail:   matthews winter

Submitted by MooBaaLaLaLa a Weekend Warrior from Peak District U.K.

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    Overall a fantanstic , quality bike. I've rode it hard , and crashed it harder and have had no problems with it. I've not had to do much work on it, probably due to the first owner speccing it out with the below upgrades.
I love the geometry, I'm 5ft 7' and 146 lbs , the small frame fits perfect. The wide bars put you in a great aggressive position for attacking the down hills and it climbs beautifully as well. A complete all round bike, light but very sturdy so it can handle tough rocky descents.

Weaknesses:    swing arm thingy that attaches rear shock to frame was replaced under garrantee. It seems that there has been no thought into the cable routing which is annoying considering the price of this bike.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, I'm still growing into it. It's very capable and you just want to keep pushing yourself on the downhills. Afterall you don't know your limit till you fall off! :) The way the bike feels when you ride it is like the bike becomes an extention of yourself and inspires confidence. The cost new is scarey but keep your eye out on the second hand market. I can't see myself changing it for another full sus. bike, just going to replace parts as they wear out.

Purchased At:   Second hand

Bike Setup:   Front and rear mech. XTR, Shifters XTR, Crank XTR, Shimano Saint brakes, Rubber queen 2.2 tubless tires, Bar: Salsa pro moto 710mm flat. Stem: 70mm Hope. Saddle SDG Formula FX I-beam, seatpost SDG i-beam alloy

Submitted by treens19 a Cross Country Rider from Marquette, MI

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2011

Strengths:    Handling. This bike is a blast. Predictable in corners (not with stock tires, tho). Love the G2 geometry. Great stock component spec. Climbs better than you would expect.

Weaknesses:    Tires. Get rid of them. Had a weird issue with my rear hub, but Gary hooked it up and got me a new wheel.

Bottom Line:
You'll have bugs in your teeth from smiling. Not a lycra-rocking race bike, not a chairlift bike, but that's the point. If you have only one bike in your quiver, it should be this one.

Favorite Trail:   Gorge-ous

Purchased At:   QSBS

Similar Products Used:   SC Heckler. Let me say I have always been a huge Heckler fan. I sold my Heckler and bought the Roscoe.

Bike Setup:   Stock. Love the x-o group. Maxxis Ardents. Went for the Joplin remote post. Highly recommend it. Had to cut a hair off the bars to handle the narrow UP singletrack.

Submitted by drunuts a Weekend Warrior from Northfield, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2011

Strengths:    The ABP and fox float give this bike a bottomless feel. It took me a ride or two to get used to the geometry, but once I felt comfortable, it is a real confidence booster. The frame's shape allows you to move and groove in the cockpit to easily shift your weight around. Nice wide handlebars for stability. Shimano hollow tech bottom bracket and cane creek headset makes for smooth bearing rotation and easy maintenance. The avid brakes are perfect for one finger braking. Super fast! Super fun!

Weaknesses:    The tires!! Get em off! Also, the retail price is ridiculous. I was lucky to find it barely used at an awesome price.

Bottom Line:
Gotta climb for those down hills! Why not take it easy on yourself?! This is PERFECT for the all around ups and downs of your local single track.

Favorite Trail:   Da Dam

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel, Gary Fisher Tasajara

Bike Setup:   Stock. Except switched out the tires to Kenda Nevegals. 2.1 in the rear and 2.35 in the front. I also changed up the gear ratio to a 2x9 with bash guard and chain guide.

Submitted by grootif a Weekend Warrior from Arizona

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2010

Strengths:    Light, Seemingly endless travel due to the Dual Chamber shock. G2 geometry inspires the ride. ABP makes a noticable difference. Nice components. Solid feeling bike, very comfortable right out of the box

Weaknesses:    No longer offered in the 2011 GF line up due to the redundancy of the Trek Remedy line

Bottom Line:
This bike JAMS. I can't wait for the next ride. It is too bad that GF is not going to offer the roscoe in 2011, because it is the perfect solution between the Trek Remedy, and the GF Hi-Fi.
Handling is unreal, it is so quick that it allows you to push it further in the turns. Love it.

Favorite Trail:   all Over AZ

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Used, Private deal

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro, Ironhorse MKIII, Cove G-Spot

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for the tires. Fox 140mm fork, DCRV shock. Bontrager wheels, bars, stem, seat post. XO rear Der, XT front. XT cranks. XO carbon shifters. Avid Elixer brakes. Kenda excavator tires

Submitted by Animal Doc a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2009

Strengths:    Good climber and great on down hills. Propedal works great for climbing and the active suspension while breaking on down hills is awsome.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike as an upgrade to an older Trek fuel that I have. I was wanting a bike with more suspension that could still climb well. In getting the used demo model I was able to get an upgraded bike that is probably more than I need at a good price. So far I have been really pleased with this bike. With the propedal feature this bike climbs better than my old bike and if it is any heavier I really cant tell at all. On the down hills the bike is great. The G2 geometry with the suspension and ABP have really increased my confidence and Ive already been able to clear some areas that I was not able to in the past. Anyone who is looking for a solid all mountain bike wont go wrong with the Roscoe.

Favorite Trail:   Bent Creek, Pisgah

Purchased At:   Liberty cycles

Similar Products Used:   Remedy, Mojo, Fuel

Bike Setup:   Stock, bought the demo model.

Submitted by DMOS a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton, AB

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2009

Strengths:    Frame stiffness, buttery travel, spot on geometry.

Weaknesses:    Pricey to purchase, proprietary parts.

Bottom Line:
So far very happy with my Roscoe. I received it as a frame replacement for my HiFi, after tacoing the frame for the second season in a row. GF/Trek has been very good to me!

Anyways, built with the upgraded parts that were donated from my '07 HiFi Dlx, the build for my 19" Roscoe III frame came in at 28lbs even.

While I notice the extra weight going up hills from my former 26lb build HiFi, this bike pedals just as well. On technical ascents it is faster, simply because the rear end is better able to deal with trail trash like roots and rocks, while being epically more composed over ledges and logs. The travel adjust is necessary on long steep pitches where you have to pedal versus depending on momentum. While originally I was going to get a Float or go extreme with a 36 Van, I'm glad I was able to acquire the Roscoe II spec fork for that reason alone. I'm not sure how much the G2 offset helps or hinders, but the bike doesn't possess any painful wheel flop tendencies while moving slowly.

Going downhill is where the bike truly shines. While certainly capable for a such a large bike in the tight singletrack, blasting down switchbacks or chutes is where it comes into it's own. Steps that used to cause unintentional dismounts are swallowed whole. The slackish geometry (and giant DH bar) inspire confidence compared to its more XC sibling. Given my riding season weight of 225lbs, the HiFi would feel like riding 2 unicycles from frame flex when bombing through the river valley of Edmonton. The Roscoe is better equipped to deal with my physique. Sadly this newfound confidence is tempered by the 160mm rotors on the leftover Avid brakes, they are not able to hold their own in this weight class.

In summary: This makes for quite the fun bike to ride as a Clydesdale. It is not going to compete with lightweight XC whips on a racecourse. Nor is it the optimal choice for DH shuttle runs. However, it is not going to be embarrassed at either. I rode it for a solo 8hr marathon and for my laps at a 24hr. It was complete overkill for the course, but I was comfy and when tired it made up for my bike handling mistakes. It was entertaining for runs at Rabbit Hill, though I avoided any large drops or jumps. And I think that it fits a reasonable 1 bike quiver solution as long as you aren't racing in any specific discipline. On the down side, the cost new is obscene, and I don't look forward to replacing proprietary suspension parts. Neither the shock nor the fork are going to be hanging in your LBS.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in the river valley

Purchased At:   Hardcore Bikes

Similar Products Used:   GF HiFi, Specialized Epic & Stumpjumper, Marin Mt Vision

Bike Setup:   * XT crank, cassette & rear derailleur
* Easton Monkeylite DH bar
* Time ATAC XS pedals

Submitted by packfill a Racer from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2009

Strengths:    stiff, innovative shock/fork, tapered headtube, plenty of tire clearance.

Weaknesses:    the bike retails for $5000 and doesn't come with tubeless rim strips or valves. the tires are pretty horrible. they have no side nobs. the only why they actually turn on anything less than hardpacked is if you run them at really low pressure (i was using (25~26psi). the fork blew out after about a month to where the talas feature didn't work at all. one last thing, a suspension bolt backed itself out after a few rides. this is a bolt that actually lived behind the chain stay, so you cant check it. needless to say, it backed into said chainstay. on the plus side, the chainstay and the bolt are now lighter as they both have had material shaved off. :) also, considering the type of bike that this is, it would have been nice to have top tube cable routing available for a seatpost remote.

Bottom Line:
I ride my mt bike almost everyday. Because of this, my race bike always seems to be in some sort of disrepair. So, i thought I’d invest in another bike. I wanted something different enough from my Scott spark to justify buying it....not that you really need to justify a new bike purchase. I did a bunch of research and the Roscoe was the closest thing to what I wanted. I test rode a 575, nice bike but the roscoe beat it out in several areas (more tire clearance, tapered headtube, ABP rear pivot, DRCV shock.....) and the new 5 spot was going to be a long wait.

I've very please with the roscoe. I’m 5'10". I bought a large and am running a little longer stem. I wanted it to still fit similar to my other mt bikes. It weighs in at a little over 29 lbs with the above set-up, minus the Joplin post.

The Roscoe climbs really well, and decends like crazy. I really don't use the talas feature on the fork unless I’m going up something really steep and I normally climb with the RP23 fully open (on trails). The avid brakes are superb. The power with the 185 front rotor is night and day as compared to my spark (xtr 160 rotors). The overall stiffness of the bike is also very good. The 28mm rims and 15mm thru axle combined with the tapered head tube on the fox fork makes for a bike that goes where you point it.

All said, this is a great bike. There are just a few minor issues that I’ve encountered.

Similar Products Used:   yeti 575,

Bike Setup:   stock, except swapped out sram shifters and derailleur for xtr, x-lite 100mm stem, wtb rocket-v saddle, joplin seat post, michelin Dry2s 2.3", shimano pedals

Submitted by DonCuillin a Weekend Warrior from Aberdeen, Scotland

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2009

Strengths:    Nimble, light for spec/travel. White is the new black it looks great!

Weaknesses:    Tyres not that great for wet roots which are typical of most of the local trails I ride. Have bought Bontrager Jones to upgrade to.

Bottom Line:
I wanted a change to my previous bike - more travel and a beefier bike. This is the one. I was initially looking at the Blur LT, but the price for high spec bike was just too much. The Roscoe 3 is the same price as the off the peg LT, but blows it out the water on components and hence weight.

I am looking forward to hitting some serious obstacles. As a middle aged rider, my wariness of hurting myself has increased over time! This bike gives me some more confidence!

Favorite Trail:   Witches Trails

Purchased At:   Alpine Bikes, Aberde

Similar Products Used:   Previous bike - Trek Liquid 25. Tested Roscoe against the Trek Fuel EX9.9 and an Ex8. Had also considered Blur LT.

Bike Setup:   As spec, but will change tyres.

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2009

Strengths:    S-T-I-F-F!!! love the frame, light for what it is at 28.4 lbs, the most simple, proven suspension design with innovative enhancements, top notch parts spec, Bontrager OEM parts beat similar stuff from Specialized, Race Face and only slightly behind Thomson, Rhythm wheels are excellent, Bontrager tubeless works better than the DT / Specialized stuff I used formerly, great new technologies in DCRV, RP24, tapered headtube, ABP, frame shape, super wide bars. This is an innovative, well thought out bike - and it works.

Weaknesses:    Proprietary fork offset limits after market upgrades as does rear wheel spacing. If Trek / Fisher ever abandon ABP, compatible rear wheels could be a very big issue for the long-term. After several rides, I believe this is a non-issue but, on my first ride the derailleur hanger snapped in half with no visible impact to the derailleur. Since replacing, there have been no problems - probably just a minor QC issue with the parts contractor.

Bottom Line:
After just a few rides, this is an admittedly early review but so far, it's almost all good.

I like the fact that this bike isn't just another 67 degree HA / 73 degree SA long travel trailbike. Fisher uses some innovative engineering and geometry corrected parts to reach what seems to be the best possible compromise between agile climber and confident descender.

With other bikes of this genre, it always seems that the design either favors climbing (for instance, the Enduro) or descending (for instance, the Nomad). Unfortunately, this always comes at a large cost to going the other direction (for instance, I don't think the Enduro descends as well as it climbs - not even close). This bike seems to cut it right down the middle. It honestly climbs as well as it descends and I think it does so largely because of the out-of-the-box engineering found in the super wide bars, strange fork offset and other minor tweaks found throughout this bike.

I won't go too far in to it with this review as it's early season, the trails are super tacky and I'm still in ski-season shape but, so far, I'm very impressed with Fisher stuff and this bike in particular. I love my HiFi 29er but needed something a little more fire road climb friendly (Fisher if you're reading this, us old guys need a 29er specific drivetrain.)

I'll post again in a month or two but, if you're considering this bike, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the least. I was never a Gary Fisher guy but between this and the HiFi 29er, they seem to be on top of their game in the two most popular categories - trailbikes and 29ers.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on...

Purchased At:   Lee's Cyclery, Fort