Gary Fisher Roscoe II All Mountain Full Suspension

4.7/5 (10 Reviews)

• Frame: 6011 hydroformed butted aluminum mainframe & swingarm, G2 Geometry, top swing magnesium link, semi-integrated E2 headtube, ABP
  • Wheels: Bontrager Rhythm Comp, 15mm QR thru-axle, Bontrager XDX tires
  • Componentry: Shimano SLX front derailleur, Shimano XT Shadow rear derailleur, Shimano SLX shifters, Shimano SLX crank, Avid Elixir 5 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Suspension: Fox Talas RL, 140-120-100mm adjustable travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown; Custom Fox Float RP2 with DRCV, 2-position Pro Pedal

Submitted by lee smith a Weekend Warrior from victora bc

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2011

Strengths:    the best bike on the market only from the g2 geometry and is the most advansed tech bike on the market to this day and for years to come i recomend the the roscoe 2 because its a epic bike and one of the best best i rode

Weaknesses:    the humming of the avid rotor

Bottom Line:
the most advansed tech bike on the market the best i ever rode

Favorite Trail:   wistler

Purchased At:   obsession bikes in n

Submitted by dirtbag a Weekend Warrior from kansas city, ks

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2010

Strengths:    handling through ruts, roots and rocks

Weaknesses:    tires for sure

Bottom Line:
I read alot of forums before buying this bike. One in particular that was interesting was the differences between the roscoe and the yeti 575. Well, the yeti 575 is legendary amongst hard-core riders and by the end of the forum, there were enough posts that the yeti 575 riders were getting pissed because so many people were saying that the roscoe addressed some of the handling issues that yeti could not get perfected. I think the yeti is a bad ass bike, but in the same breath i will say that the roscoe is the best handling bike that i have ridden to date. It is a little heavy but it is basically a all day trail bike that can descend faster than a trail bike. Too bad they are not going to make them since Gary Fisher is now Trek. If you run into one, I suggest trying it out. It is stupid fun to ride.

Favorite Trail:   hi-line

Similar Products Used:   most major bike companies mid to high end bikes

Bike Setup:   some carbon, kenda nevegal, thomson, straightline

Submitted by moutanbiker a Downhiller from colorado

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2010

Strengths:    really climes like a dream so much fun and really good suspension design i also really like the brakes cuz the stop on a dime and i can do killer stopies

Weaknesses:    can handle any thing above a 3 foot drop unless you have a ton of air in the rear but i usaly don do to many drop offs

Bottom Line:
if you jump your bike daily and ride it hard then get a remedy if you are a little less extream (Not me) get it

great bike does every thing

Favorite Trail:   slick rock (Moab), moor fun (Frujta)

Purchased At:   Campus Cycles

Similar Products Used:   trek remedy is similar but a bit more beefy than the rosco
fuel ex 9 is less beefy than the rossco
but i haven't rode those bikes in a while

Bike Setup:   stock except for i converted to tubeless and i love tubeless tires

Submitted by Cameron Hays a Racer from Carmel Valley CA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2009

Strengths:    This bike is a great bike. It is heavy, but the suspension is really plush.

Weaknesses:    Weight. The tires that come on it wear really fast

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing, it can handle anything you can throw at it. Great bike for training on if you race.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   San Francisco bike s

Bike Setup:   stock: avid elixer brakes, fox talas, fox float, xt, slx

Submitted by sharprw a Cross Country Rider from Norwalk, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2009

Strengths:    Very stable feel, climbs like a billy goat and decends like a alpine racer!! This bike has very good all around stable feel and everything I have pointed it at it soakes up with ease!!

Weaknesses:    The stock tires are junk as far as I am concerned!! They lost there grip soon after being new and will push out from under you in a turn so be careful. I was told the have a predictable slide but thats crap and so are the tires!! The cockpit seems to be a little small for me but I am 6'1" and it just needs a new stem and maybe bars!! The seat is a little hard and could also be replaced!

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is so far this is a great bike and really handles very well!!! I have quite a few rides on it and am curious to see how it will with stand and hold up over time and am keeping my fingers crossed for now!!! I would recomend this bike to anyone who is looking for an all around bike as the suspension is great and is stable through the rough stuff!! If your looking for a downhill mostly bike look elsewhere but for an X-country, AM bike this will do you just great. I haven't taken big drops on it yet but it will soak up the 6 footers well but it's not designed for the big stuff!! Will see what the future holds but for now I am stoked!!!

Favorite Trail:   Turnball Canyon

Price Paid:    $1950.00

Purchased At:   Wouldn't you like to

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Slayer, Specialized Enduro ridden but not owned, Motobecane.

Bike Setup:   So far it is in stock form except for the computer, but all is changing now just wanted to wear out the tires completely first even though they are crap but at close to $60.00 a pop can you blame me?

Submitted by dawgcatching a Cross Country Rider from Bend, OR

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2009

Strengths:    Very stout frame, uses a tapered head tube for steering precision, 15mm TA, all-mountain width 28mm rims, custom suspension valving, good brakes, pedals very well

Weaknesses:    Lack of plushness, Bontrager parts cut a few corners, tires are lousy

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this a few times prior, but this ride I got out on a 5-hour ride with lots of climbing, lots of descending, and some technical sections thrown in. Overall, I was fairly pleased with the ride, as the geometry felt very dialed and the bike handled very well. Super stiff laterally, nearly zero flex can be felt. This would be a great bike for 24-hour racing with some lighter wheels to get it close to 27lbs.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get over the fact that the bike, for it being a very stout, well designed heavy-duty trail bike, just didn't have a very plush rear end. It was night and day when compared to my 150mm travel Terremoto: the Roscoe in comparison felt like a 110mm travel bike. Sag was set to just over 30%, yet I bottomed it out at 80% of full travel, which doesn't happen on my other bikes. I got bounced around a bunch and had to carefully choose a line: usually on a 140mm travel bike, I can just point and shoot through all but the really rough stuff. This bike, it wasn't the case. As it pedaled very well, it reminded me of my old 120mm Stumpjumper Pro, in the fact that it was more of an "efficient" trailbike rather than a "technical, plush trailbike". Which is fine, but looking at the Roscoe and how beefy the bike looks, one would assume it to be a heavy-duty, AM bike that can handle any technical situation. While it is technically capable, it is nowhere near as controlled in rough terrain, as say a Rize 3 from Cannondale. It does pedal a bit better though. Not as plush or controlled in rough terrain as my Ventana El Ciclon either (125mm of travel, the 2008 version). FWIW, I am 150lbs, and perhaps the custom rear shock is valved for a heavier rider.

You may need a better set of tires. The Panaracer Rampage 2.35 up front was a big improvement in the loose, sandy soil we ride here.

Overall, I really like this frame, and it seems geared to those who want available travel without losing pedaling efficiency. There is a place for that type of bike: not everyone wants the same type of trail bike, or lives in the same place, and therefore choice is good. The Roscoe doesn't feel quite like a 140mm bike (more like the Hi-Fi 26" instead, which I rode in fall of 2007). Personally, I like a plusher bike (I could really care less about suspension bob and efficiency, as I know how to spin and keep it to a minimum. Anyone trail rider who worries about pedal bob should just buy a cheap pair of rollers instead, it will make them a stronger rider and minimize bob). My preference for a 140mm bike is that it allows me to tackle any reasonable trail obstacle with minimum effort on my part, so I can ride longer. This bike doesn't quite have that feel. For those looking for a snappier, more efficient ride, this may be your bike, or those who don't ride really rough trails. It fits well with the Fisher lineup, more of a racier, snappier feel throughout all of their bikes, as well as a full stable of race bikes. Overall, a great bike, but not quite what I was looking for. I can recommend it highly for more of an XC-oriented long travel feel.

Favorite Trail:   Umpqua

Similar Products Used:   Owned: Ventana: El Ciclon, El Rey, X5, Terremoto, El Salt: Cannondale Rize, Rush; Hi-Fi 26", lots of other bike demoed.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock, but replaced the post and saddle with my own, put on a Thomson stem, and my own DT Swiss 5.1/240 wheels, as well as a Pana Rampage 2.35 up front and a Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 in back.

Submitted by Opp a Downhiller from Dominican Republic

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2009

Strengths:    It's A all Day Bike, with great suspension set, the best part it's that you can do anything with this bike, up hill, single trails, jumps, downhill, this bikes works like heaven

Bottom Line:
there isn't a day that i don't think on riding my bike ..It rulez

Favorite Trail:   EL Higuero.

Purchased At:   Planetbike Dominican

Similar Products Used:   Remedy, Santa Cruz Heckler

Bike Setup:   stock, tubeless, change the tires to bontrager 2.35 Big Earl, change the disc rotors, put some alligator on .. and my bike is lighter now it's 28.5pounds and this makes it better,

Submitted by spliffman30 a Weekend Warrior from Warwickshire

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2008

Strengths:    downhill/uphill this bike seems to eat terrain

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
i have ridden this bike for less than 2 weeks, i took it to afan and god was it good, it was cold and slippery but the roscoe just ate the terrain and with those big tyres it hung on and handled everything that was thrown at it. I would recommend anyone wanting a proper ALL mountain bike to get a proper demo on this.

Favorite Trail:   Afan

Purchased At:   About Bikes Blackmin

Similar Products Used:   prophet 1000

Bike Setup:   stock even with those massive xdx 2.4 tyres

Submitted by TimRXC a Cross Country Rider from La Mesa CA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2008

Strengths:    Solid frame, Excellent on singletrack, climbing, descending, switchbacks.Responsive and fun to ride,very stable feeling,confidence inspiring. In a class of it's own.

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavier than 4-5" XC bike, but quite a bit lighter than a 6" downhill bike

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike for all-around use.Very sure-footed on loose conditions (climbing or descending).The big tires help traction and add suspension.SLX drivetrain (great shifters),Elixir brakes(solid), FOX front & rear shocks, Rhythm Comp wheelset w/15mm frt axle, seat & post,RXL stem, lock-on grips--ALL work well. Not much of anything to change. It weighs 30lbs, 2lbs more than my EX-8, but I'll probably lose 3lbs around my waist from riding it.
Excellent for group rides,night rides,exploration/adventure/death march rides. It will also make the 25lb Klein feel pretty good on racedays.
The Roscoe bikes will be a hit.They have created and filled a new niche. Great all-around, fun, capable, machine!!

Favorite Trail:   Martha's,Sweetwater,Mission,Hollenbeck,Morena,Laguna

Purchased At:   TREK BICYCLE SUPERST

Similar Products Used:   '07,'08 TREK EX-8's, '01 KLEIN Adept.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except pedals, and RED bottle cage (needed some color) Tire pressure FRT 28#, RR 32# Shock FRT 75# RR 160# Rider wt 180#. Shortened stock bars from 28" to 25.5"

Submitted by Richard Amneus a Weekend Warrior from Southern Oregon

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2008

Strengths:    Great climber, capable descender New 15 mm thru axle is the future of this type of bike.

Weaknesses:    Not as supple as my Remedy 9.

Bottom Line:
After 4 short rides(40 miles offroad) I have decided the rear shock needs to be set at 35% sag (comes with a nice sag gauge). Pro pedal is set fairly firm so with the rear shock in pro pedal it climbs great. Benefit of G-2 geometry is that with the front shock set lower it still feels great. (I never used the talus front shock on the EX9 because it felt like I was pushing into the ground). New Bontrager tires feel great in current tackey conditions on decomposed granite in the pacific northwest. Climbs steep stuff easily, descends predictiably. Awesome on tight singletrack.
Remedys raked out front end gives it more stability but makes it a little more difficult in tight stuff. Remedy and Fuel EX also have a slightly more plush back end. Until I got this bike I was riding my Remedy 70% over the Fuel because of the confidence it gave me. I would even ride it up Mt Ashland over the Fuel because of the confidence on the descent. With this bike it is going to be a harder decision.

Favorite Trail:   Return on the Jedi (Taylor creek trail)

Purchased At:   BikeKraft

Similar Products Used:   Fuel ex9 2008, Currently have Remedy 9 also.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock (changed seat and pedals) Will convert to tubeless. Grips are nice lock on but wanted a little more cushion.

Wanted, Ideas for lighter wheels for my Roscoe II

It's a long travel XC bike, short of all mountain. I absolutely love the bike!!! I mainly ride it as a XC bike that wont hurt my 42 year old back. I'm pretty athletic and could do with a lighter set of wheels; the stock ones are pretty stout. I'm thinking the Easton EA 70 for the 15mm through ... Read More »

Broke my Fisher Roscoe II. XC or Freeride bike

Apparantly it's an "All Mountain" bike according to classification, but to me it's really just a long travel (120-140mm adjustable travel), 31 lb Xcountry bike. I've never really ridden the bike on anything that I consider more than a XC trail, my biggest drop was not more than 2 feet, but while w ... Read More »

Paid Spam: 2009 Gary Fisher Roscoe II for sale

My new bike's here. Need to sell this one. [URL="http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=33254&cat=3"]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=33254&cat=3[/URL] Cheers.Read More »

Paid Spam: 2009 Gary Fisher Roscoe II for sale

[url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=32212&cat=3[/url]Read More »

Slight issues with Roscoe II

Loving this bike but have had some bothersome issues after the first few months of riding. My pivot bolts loosened up big time after the first few rides to the point that the linkage had play. Tightened them back up but some are still coming loose on their own. I greased the bots that fit into th ... Read More »