Gary Fisher Hifi All Mountain Full Suspension

Frame HiFi Platinum Series 6061 T6 buttet and formed aluminum. Disc specific. G2 Grometry. Asymmetic swingarm with FourBarrel dropout pivots Wheels Bontrager Race Lite Disc. Bontrager Jones XR 26x2.25/2.2 tires Suspension Manitou Minute Super Air w/lockout, 120mm travel. Fox RP23 Camponentry Shimano XTR rear derailleur + LX shofter & front derailleur.

Submitted by Mitch

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2014

Strengths:    Climbs well. Tires work great with the right pressure in them. (50psi for knarly stuff, 65psi for the road and clean trails) No problems in 5 years of riding. Minimal maintenance. Love the full xt set! No shift problems.

Weaknesses:    I bought it a little small. (17.5inch for my 5'9" frame) I have a long torso and shorter legs so I am. Tough fit. I fixed it with a high rise bar (8bit joystick) and moved the seat back as far as it would go. I will say the paint seems to chip pretty easily.

Bottom Line:
Overall a good do-it-all 29er! That rear carbon fiber works wonders and the geometry climbs well and wants to go faster. I bought it new for over $3G and it was worth it IMHO.

Submitted by DVW a Cross Country Rider from Greensboro, NC

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2010

Strengths:    Well matched component set, good suspension, big beefy front tire keeps on rolling over the roots and rocks.

Weaknesses:    The dang grips... they stink. Do yourself a favor and pick out a good set when you buy the bike, otherwise your palms are gonna hurt if the trail is even mildly technical.

Bottom Line:
Very nice bike for the average, to medium aggressive trail rider. Would be even better if you could find one on sale.

Favorite Trail:   Wild Turkey

Purchased At:   Trek Store

Similar Products Used:   '96 Old School Trek carbon Y Bike. '86 Hard tail Gary Fisher Dinosaur.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by FisherCaliber a Weekend Warrior from Maryland

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2010

Strengths:    This review is of the 2009 base model Hi Fi.
G2 Geometry! As with my 2007 Caliber, Gary & Keith outdid themselves by refining an already good thing. The handling qualities of this bike are superb! It makes you a better rider. Going from the 80mm travel of the Caliber to the 120mm of the Hi Fi has been a revelation.

Weaknesses:    The stock Bontrager grips suck. Much too thin and hard. I replaced them with Serfas gel grips and my hands are happy.

I can see upgrading the rear derailleur eventually. The Deore works well, but is nowhere near the smoothness of the SLX or XT model.

There were some frame breakage issues with earlier model Hi Fi's. I'll find out if the completely redesigned 09 frame takes care of that "problem".

Bottom Line:
I think that I got a really good deal finding this bike on sale for a grand. If you want a bike that can carve the singletrack, climb decently and then roar downhill in complete control, buy this one.

Favorite Trail:   Any good singletrack

Purchased At:   Hudson trail outfitt

Similar Products Used:   2007 Caliber
1990 Hoo Koo e Koo
1988 Ross Mt. Hood

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the grips.

Submitted by Holdin27 a Cross Country Rider from Walnut Creek, CA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Strengths:    I love the G2 Geometry and I got the Pro package so the components were nice. The trails have been beat up so far this year so I've been climbing with the shocks wide open and rarely feel like I'm losing too much with the RP 23. This bike has been tight the whole time I've had it, never has been in the shop after 2 years and have never had any issues despite some tough rides. I've ridden through water, mud and have thrown it down some rocky, tough trails. This bike make me a better, more confident rider and the full suspension eats up anything I through at it. I've gone from picking the smoothest lines on downhill rock patches to just staying loose and letting the bike impress me on the nastiest stuff.

Weaknesses:    I've been pretty happy with this bike, but did replace the factory BR tires which just seemed a little too slippy for me.

Bottom Line:
Loved this bike, makes me happy I sought it out.

Favorite Trail:   The Devil's Backbone

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Bike Setup:   The pro package and I put Ergo grips on for longer rides and had to get an after market seat post after an ill advised attempt at a hydraulic post.

Submitted by Hughjack20 a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2010

Strengths:    Nice handling, good climbing for a full suspension. Steering is very good. BR Jones tires are excellent and stick well on roots. Weight is reasonable for Al frame - if weight is important go with the carbon fiber version or get a hardtail.

Weaknesses:    The Avid BB5s are horrible. A must replace. Swingarm broke behind the back weld after 2 years of normal MTB riding. When broke the aluminum showed granularization indicating that the metal was probably not properly heat treated to begin with. The wheel mounts on the fork are aluminum, and after the skewer is removed to take off the wheel after about a year the metal appears to wear, making it hard to true the disk brake. Very frustrating. Someone needs to put a hardened metal mount on the forks to provide a stable seat for the skewer. I have had the same problem with all forks so don't blame this on Gary Fisher.

Bottom Line:
This has been a fun bike. However, after the swingarm break I am a bit concerned about the integrity of the frame. The BB-5s were a big disappointment, as the 2007 Avids had been pretty good.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge

Purchased At:   Cedar Bluff Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Previously owned a Cannondale V-400 FS.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except replaced the BB-5s.

Submitted by Train a Downhiller from Highland, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2009

Strengths:    Great at low speed maneuverability,climbs good for full suspension

Weaknesses:    chain slaps against rear derailleur making it a noisy ride. also will be upgrading from the avid bb5 & fb5 to the juicy 3 for sure.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money, provides for a fun and wild riding experience

Favorite Trail:   Ghost Falls

Purchased At:   Trek of AF

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   out of box

Submitted by Daviswebb a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2009

Strengths:    Suspension, handling, speed, comfort, looks, tires

Weaknesses:    None given the price bracket. Could be lighter with twinking.

Bottom Line:
Amazing amazing bike. I took it out yesterday on the Don River trail system, some tight wet single track with hidden steeps in thick foliage. Also some sand, and dry rutted single track.

This bike blew me away. First, the handling for tight blind corners with mixed gravel, mud and slick was nothing for this bike. Second, the downhill handling is stunning, it just goes where you point it. Third, the lockout on the front and rear works great for climbing or street. Fourth, the brakes are dependable, no matter how steep the slope.

I opened it up on the fire road and hit some nasty 2 foot rutts, it danced through them like butter. Then i ascended some very tight wet mixed roots and rock and it climbed effortlessly.

This is my first duel suspension bike. So I realize that my reactions are partly to the technology. But I test road alot of other duellies in this category and this one had the best fit, components and handling in the category. The G2 system rocks! I couldnt be happier. I am serious, I almost had a mystical experience on this bike!

Favorite Trail:   Squamish River Road

Purchased At:   Trek Store Toronto

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Trailhead 2008, Haro Escape

Bike Setup:   Out of Box

Submitted by Eagleboy a Weekend Warrior from St-Antonin, Quebec

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2009

Strengths:    Climbs great, descends great, looks great, pedals nicely. Seems tough enough although I've only been riding it for about a month.

Weaknesses:    It is somewhat heavy, but that is to be expected since it is the cheapest hifi model.

Bottom Line:
I absolutely love this bike. The suspension lets you ride longer without breaking your back. My HiFi climbs better than my lighter hardtail bike because you can sit and lay the power down without taking a beating from every bump and rock in the trail. With the propedal on she accelerates like a hardtail and with the propedal off she gobbles up bumps with no pedal-bob. Descending is super fun because the smooth front and rear suspension doesn't buck you around and you can pick up speed really quickly.

Many people have ragged on the stock tires, but I personally have not had any trouble with them climbing or descending, even through water and mud.

My only qualm with this ride (and perhaps this is unavoidable) is that the chain skips when the cranks get wet or muddy. After a few rotations this problem goes away.

I am really happy with my Hifi. I recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to break the bank yet who expects a high quality, sweet riding machine.

Favorite Trail:   anything long and technical

Purchased At:   purchased already us

Similar Products Used:   this is my first full-suspension bike. I used to ride a specialized hardrock.

Bike Setup:   stock except for shimano clip-in pedals

Submitted by SMD a Weekend Warrior from gooding, id, usa

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2009

Strengths:    Handles amazing, Tracks great. Shocks work well when dialed in correctly. Great price for what you get. Decent components as well.

Weaknesses:    only problem I have had is the paint chipping easily.

Bottom Line:
Was a year old demo when I bought it. Has been a great bike for me. Have put lots of miles on it and have not had any problems. Have been pleased with this bike so far.

Favorite Trail:   fisher creek

Purchased At:   Sun Summit Ski and C

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Lilkev a Cross Country Rider from Wyckoff, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2008

Strengths:    I use to think it was a great bike. I like the ride, compnents were a good deal for the price...

My local bike shop is the only strength in this bike! The guys rock!

Weaknesses:    ..... then I broke the rear drop out. He new one was redesigned. THe wheels are junk! I had a new set of wheels made and that's when my local shop found that I cracked the front triangle @ a weld and the rear triangle has a huge crack in right behind the right side crank.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy this bike! It's way too soft.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list

Bike Setup:   XL frame

Submitted by frankfitz a Cross Country Rider from Foxboro

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2008

Strengths:    warranty

Weaknesses:    'glass' frame

Bottom Line:
IT happened again (see July 5, 07)- the triangle (frame) cracked on my HiFi again. Twice in one year. Trek/Gary replaces it but I have to wait at least a month, sometimes 2. (And it's no fun walking out of the woods with a cracked frame) B4 the hifi, I had a Sugar and it cracked twice too- they replaced it the 2nd time with the hifi, otherwise, I would have switched to someone who makes a beefier frame.

Favorite Trail:   Borderland

Submitted by Russell Tanner a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2008

Strengths:    Fisher and their warranty. I cracked the frame and had a new one and bike rebuilt in less than two weeks. While my bike was out of commission I rented the new Trek Fuel ($3500) and as much as I enjoyed it I will keep my HIFI. I really love riding my bike. I feel like I can tackle anything with it.

Weaknesses:    I will probably upgrade the rear derail. Otherwise happy with components. Never gave the stock tires a chance. Had them swapped out for something more knobby.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. My buddy bought one a few weeks after me and he feels the same way. There are alot of other good, "cool" bikes out there that you could really decide over a coin flip but remember the Gary Fisher name.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Purchased At:   Discovery Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel.

Bike Setup:   HIFI

Submitted by Mike Reynolds a Weekend Warrior from Oviedo, FL

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2007

Strengths:    This is my first "shop" bike. Strong frame and good suspension, Manitou in the fork and Fox in the rear (love the pro-pedal). Price!

Weaknesses:    Chain slaps the derailer, sounds like a freight train going down the trail. Added a chain stay pad and had a linked removed. Next move, replace derailer?

Bottom Line:
Really enjoy the bike. Excellent cross country bike!!!

Didn't like the tires at first, but after adjusting pressure, really enjoyed the many trail differences (mud, sand, rock, limestone, gravel, even roots, etc), you name it and it grips it!

Would like to add pressure in the rear shock, I get a little sloppy at times landing large drops or jumps, causing the guide ring to slip off.

Favorite Trail:   Santos, Snowhill

Purchased At:   David's World Cycle

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2007

Strengths:    Geometry, lightweight, climbing, smooth riding

Weaknesses:    Rear shock and frame design, paint chips easily

Bottom Line:
Well, I promised an update to my original post. I was in love with this bike until a recent incident. The shock bottomed out and caused the frame fold in bringing the rear tire into the seat post. I was not taxing the shock at all either (scary). Check out the forum in regard to this issue. Trek knows this is a problem for XL frames, but has yet to recall the bikes. If you have an XL frame, take the bike in and get the shock linkage replaced immediately. Otherwise you re an accident waiting to happen. This seems to only be a problem with the XL 2007 models. Trek fixed the issue on the 2008 models. Trek is standing by their product too. They are sending me an 2008 frame with an upgraded shock and the bike shop is replacing all the other damaged components. In a few weeks, I should be on a new bike. Value is still there and if you proactively have the linkage fixed, you will have a memorable experience with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Sherman

Purchased At:   Bicycle South

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Gautam Bose a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2007

Strengths:    1) Incredible handling. I can now ride through most corners without touching my brakes. This makes a huge difference to my ride.
2) Very comfortable -- feels like it was made for me. Can't beleive the improvement over my hardtail (trek 6500), though that was a great bike, too. I can run fast over all kinds of terrain without feeling the bumps hitting my spine.
3) Love the disk brakes (Avid), I feel much more confident, knowing I can stop when I want to.
4) Love the color -- matte red. Much better than the ususal shiny finish.

Weaknesses:    a) Took a while to get it all dialed in. My first 2-3 rides were terrible, as I didn't have it adjusted right. But my LBS (Ultimate Bicycle) was great, and got it all sorted out. I've been flting since then.

Bottom Line:
A great value -- buy one! Good for All-mountain/trail riders. Not sure if it's right for downhill/free-ride (though there's a fair amount of travel in the shocks/fork)

Favorite Trail:   Ann Springs

Purchased At:   Ulitmate Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Prophet, which belongs to a friend. Test-rode a few others, including GT I-Drive 4.0, etc/

Bike Setup:   Upgraded derailleurs to XT/XTR, shifters to XT. Tires to Bontrager AC - X. Otherwise all stock.

Paid Spam: 2010 Hifi Frame

Frame for sale, 2010 Gary Fisher Hifi Pro, size medium. [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=87812]2010 Gary Fisher Hifi 29 Frame - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] I switched sizes to a large Superfly, so the medium must go. Thanks for looking.Read More »

Picked up my new to me used Gary Fisher HiFi

And can't wait to get it out on the mountain. [ATTACH=CONFIG]820519[/ATTACH]Read More »

2008 HiFi 29 -- Warranty?

Hey Folks, I'm new here, and hoping someone can help me out with this... If I've posted in the wrong place, my apologies. I have a Gary Fisher 2008 HiFi Plus 29 that broke the other day-- the "bridge" broke that holds the asymmetrical chainstays together. More info: I was rolling down a fairly sm ... Read More »

Trek HiFi Deluxe rear derailleur

Hey everyone, Does anyone know whether the rear derailleur is a long, med or short gauge. The bike is L and has a 11/36 cassette. Pretty sure I need a long, but wanted to make sure. Thanks,Read More »

2009 HiFi Pro - Help Me Decide

[url=http://iowacity.craigslist.org/bik/3635291219.html]Gary Fisher Hifi Pro 29"[/url] This bike is listed on the local Craigslist. I believe the seller will accept $650 for it. It is a 2009 Hifi Pro frame/shock that was a replacement for the seller's Sugar 293 with a defective frame. Front sh ... Read More »