Gary Fisher Fat Possum XT All Mountain Full Suspension

• Bontrager Race Disc wheelsystem
  • Shimano M520 ATB clipless pedals

Submitted by jrzypossum a Weekend Warrior from cherry hill,nj

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2009

Strengths:    Everthing has not disappointed me yet

Weaknesses:    Stock tires,seat

Bottom Line:
Has done everything I expect.been riding mountain bikes for about 6 years.will be my last bike I probably own.cranks got loose but tightened them and have not been a problem since.would recomend this bike to people wanting a good all arounder.

Favorite Trail:   neshaminy high school

Purchased At:   D&Q

Similar Products Used:   Jamis dakar

Bike Setup:   Easton ea30 bars hayes stroker carbon brakes specialized phenom seat thomson seatpost wtb weirwolf 2.3 crank bros 5050 pedals rest is stock

Submitted by retrobeast a Weekend Warrior from san diego, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2008

Strengths:    the looks, the rear shock, the solid build

Weaknesses:    seat was kicking my butt so i replaced it.

Bottom Line:
I put lx components on the xt because I had the parts available due to buying a smaller lx possum.
I have been doing 2-3 foot drops, climbing hills like i am on flat land, and just plane old enjoying the hell out of the fat possum.
they are getting cheaper as time goes on so get one and enjoy the dirt.

Favorite Trail:   does not matter

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   ibex section 29er, gf cake 3 dlx, khs alite 3000

Bike Setup:   xt frame with lx components

Submitted by Tim Sabourin a Weekend Warrior from la canada, CA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2008

Strengths:    bombs down Hills. comfortable on rough trails. OK climber. shocks are great and the stand over height makes for fast exits when you need to bail.

Weaknesses:    Bontagger Crank sucks, makes a lot of noise, doesn't shift good. Bontagger big earl tires where not impressive. Problems with rear rim.

Bottom Line:
This bike has potential. I need to change the crank and rear rim before they drive me crazy. the bike looks cool. Thank God my Bike shop has a 1 year service plan, They are working hard on my bike to keep it running. I DO LOVE BOMBING DOWN STEP ROCKY LOOSE SINGLE TRACKS WITH DROPS. THIS BIKE WORKS GREAT FOR THAT.

Favorite Trail:   sunset ridge

Purchased At:   pasadena cyclerly

Similar Products Used:   none this is my 1st MTB

Bike Setup:   stock except for seat and tires

Submitted by leifgren a Cross Country Rider from Irvine, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2008

Strengths:    Climbs really well, drivetrain is pretty good for the price, suspension work well for me. Geometry just works for me. I love the narrow bars.

Weaknesses:    Cranks! I put off reviewing this bike for almost a year just to give them a shot. Then I had my left crank fall off on me while riding yesterday. Luckily I carry a tool and was able to put it back on, but it looked a little stripped out. Going to pull my XT cranks off of my hardtail and put em on. Also, the 6" rotors seem a little weak to me. That's an easy fix with the Hayes brackets you can buy though, so no biggie. Brake levers could be less of a "V" shape so they reach closer to the end of the bars.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike brand new, sight unseen, solely based on the reviews and Gary Fisher's reputation. I'm so stoked a took the leap of faith. The bike geometry is dialed for me (5'11" 165 lbs., size Medium frame). I've traded bikes with friends during rides (SC Nomads, Hecklers and built Kona Dawgs), and I couldn't wait to trade back. The cranks almost ruined my first ride back at Whiting since the fires, but luckily I had a tool. I got a ridiculous deal on mine, so 5 chilis all around.

Purchased At:   MTBR classifieds

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension, but I've ridden a bunch of friends' bikes, including Nomads and RFXs, and no way is there a couple grand worth of diference.

Bike Setup:   Stock. Throwing on the XT cranks this week, and hopefully getting some bigger rotors soon.

Submitted by pmrider a Downhiller from CO

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2008

Strengths:    It jumps well

Weaknesses:    Gary Fisher missed the pivot point- w/ the air shock it had to be run very firm for me not to be sitting in the middle of the travel and bottom out all the time- then w/ a firm setting the bike was all over the place- my old 4-banger was way plusher then this bike- lots of flex- felt more like a 80mm XC bike then an all mountain bike

Bottom Line:
This bike sucked- the only good thing it did was jump- w/ the airshock pumped up hard the bike was compact enough in the cockpit and really jumped well- but other then that it really was not fun to ride- could't handle rough trails- and made my 170mm bullit feel like a dirtbike in comparsion

Similar Products Used:   Bullit, Schwin 4banger,

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by kmoo1302 a Weekend Warrior from san diego ca

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2008

Strengths:    as I am getting back into the sport after a 5 yr lay off, All I can say is "my things have changed'. float shock is great as is the swinger in back, brakes are also nice once you get used to the touchiness(?).

Weaknesses:    As for the afore mentioned crank set, I have had no problems so far, check it before and after every ride( I,m 56 yrs old and don't heal like them youngins do).

Bottom Line:
as I stated I'm a little long in the tooth to be doing big drops , but so far this bike is great, no repairs in the first 150-200 miles and my back is still working like it should. for
xc and some down hill this bike is the ticket. And the frame is MADE IN AMERICA!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   noble canyon

Purchased At:   trek san diego

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS1, GT XCR1ooo

Bike Setup:   stock except for new seat,longer stem, and crank bros platform pedals

Submitted by Roger a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh, NC US

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2008

Strengths:    The Fat Possum XT is great BUT:

Weaknesses:    Fisher / Trek need to recall the Bontrager Race GXP Crank that comes on this bike. Others (read reviews of the crank) have had their left crank arm loosen, strip or come off. My son had this happen last week almost resulting is a nasty accident. PLEASE REPORT THIS TO THE CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFELY COUNCIL AT: http://www.cpsc.gov/talk.html

Mine is in the shop now - dealer says they have seen 3 in the past 2 weeks and are asking Trek/Fisher to replace the crank. It's time they dealt with this properly before someone is badly hurt.

Bottom Line:
Bontrager Race GXP Crank is a safety hazard!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Arizona Retailer

Submitted by Dan from Valencia, Ca., USA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2008

Strengths:    I bought this bike for the price.
It's a good do anything bike. I've ridden it in 100+ degree dry weather and in the rain on muddy trails and it handled both really well. I've taken it up/ down fire roads, hit bmx tracks and neighborhood jumps, and ridden to the mall with my wife.
It's a good climber (I usually do winding single track). I'm not sure if you would want to take it on any hard bombing runs but it handles what I put it through like a champ (the highest drops I take are around 4 feet).
I bent the cool 06' General Lee orange frame and Gary Fisher replaced it with the plain 07' gray one.

Weaknesses:    My first frame bent. But I have to say that Gary Fisher was really good about replacing it.

Some lateral movement from the rear (not too bad though).

I HATE the Bontrager crank set because it keeps coming loose. It really ruins the whole experience for me.

Bottom Line:
Like I said before, I bought this bike for the price and I GOT WHAT I PAID FOR(that crank set really sucks).
It's fun and it suits me for now.
It's a great value for the $1600 I dropped.

If you are looking for a bike to have fun on, 4 or 5 times per week, in just about any condition this bike is for you.

If you are a serious rider and want a xc race bike or a hardcore hucking machine, look elsewhere.

Favorite Trail:   I've got a few

Purchased At:   Passadena Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Chumba, Yeti

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from Wethersfield

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2008

Strengths:    Single pivot rear, Fork, Geometry, Color, Components except for the front derailure.

Weaknesses:    Rear swing arm flexes easily

Bottom Line:
This is by far the most fun bike I have owned. Bombs downhill, Climbs great with my fat a$$ on it. Great all around bike. If you can only afford one bike this should be the one.

Favorite Trail:   West Hartford Res.

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Trek Liquid 25, Diamondback, GT I-Drive

Bike Setup:   Kenda Nevgals, Easton Bar and low rise stem for better climbing

Submitted by Jeff Bercaw a Weekend Warrior from Rocklin, California, USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2007

Strengths:    Awsome paint, Perfect suspension set-up for me, XT works well, Fork impressive, Rear suspension works well with very little suspension bob

Weaknesses:    Lateral rear stiffness is not what i would like it to be, BB HT a little high

Bottom Line:
Excellent all around bike takes my crashin' and keeps on bashin' still has excellent paint

Favorite Trail:   Culvert, to Confluence

Purchased At:   Bob's

Similar Products Used:   Marin Quad XC

Bike Setup:   Stock with WTB gel seat

Submitted by Krazy Mike a Weekend Warrior from Morton, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2007

Strengths:    light-ish(for what it's intended to do)
works well as a XC bike
looks pretty cool
good travel for XC
comfortable

Weaknesses:    stock seat is uncomfortable(that's easy to fix though)
Not great for huge drops (bigger than 7 ft)

Bottom Line:
Overall it's a great bike for most anything that will come at you in freeride or XC. The 6 in travel is very nice. I LOVE IT!!

Favorite Trail:   Comlara

Purchased At:   some guy I found who wanted to sell one on craigslist (you should try it)

Similar Products Used:   tried my uncle's HiFi

Bike Setup:   all stock except rockshox pike 409 fork and specialized seatpost

Submitted by G N a Weekend Warrior from Wellington, Fl. USA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2007

Strengths:    The bike is much lighter than it appears. The bike really is a beast on the trails. I ride at Markham Park often, and anyone riding in South Florida knows how technical those trails are. This bike handles well all around. Grips on every climb with ease, and handles like a dream on the way down. The 6" of travel on rear suspension make the difference on the landing, along with the Pike front susp. Easy adjustments on the suspension for your favorite ride. I like the thru-axle on the front quick disconnect. Smooth shifting too. Good choice on the tires as well. Every time I go to the trails and unload my beast, it turns many heads. The bike is a true beauty. The paint job, and color make it a real eye-catcher. The old pic on the Fisher site does not do it justice. It is a must see.

Weaknesses:    None yet, still beating on the bike. I've read the other reviews reference the cranks. I haven't experienced that yet, and hoepfully I won't. So far, so good. The plastic flats that clicked into the egg-beaters finally came off on the trails, and useless end caps on the grips as well. Put plugs in to cover up the holes.

Bottom Line:
This bike was a superior deal once the new Possums came out. It's like buying a car, just wait for new models to announce release, then get the one left over from the factory. I recommend this bike to any weekend warrior who really wants to enjoy their ride, especially if your approaching middle age; full suspension is key.
This will most likely be the last bike I purchase, as it is all I need. This replaced my Trek 4300 Disk, which I sold to recover a little of the cost.
It did take a while getting used to, as it is a very different feel from my Trek. I'm sure as much as I am riding, wear and tear will take it's toll. Overall I am extremely pleased with the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park, Sunrise, Fl.

Purchased At:   Wheels of Wellington

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel, Iron Horse Warrior, Specialized Stump Jumper, Giant whatever.

Bike Setup:   Stock Gary Fisher Fat Possum XT

Submitted by Myron MacNeil a Cross Country Rider from Poway, CA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2007

Strengths:    This is an update to my previous review on the Possum. We took a trip out to Gallup New Mexico to ride their new trails. Awesome experience, great trails! The town could use some upgrades. Bike was bullet proof. I rode my Possum with a Giant NRS C2, an NRS 2, a brand new Titus and a Cannondale. I was the only one not adjusting brakes or suspension. Ha!

Weaknesses:    Compared to the bikes above the Fat Possum is a heavyweight. Is what it is, Fat. I also noticed an issue with the Genesis geometry (is that the phrase ?). On tight switchbacks there's quite a bit of bike sticking out in front. Makes tight turns a challenge. Not a show stopper, just a technique adjustment. OK, with some of the ridgeline trails it's a challenge, but fun!

Bottom Line:
I'm no lightweight, 6'1, 220. The Possum rides smooth, the suspension took every rock, tree and mud challenge I in-expertly crashed into. The bike made my trip a GREAT experience.

Purchased At:   TREK San Diego