Fezzari Alta Peak All Mountain Full Suspension

4.21/5 (24 Reviews)

New higher end air fork, XT 10-speed drivetrain, Elixir 5 brakes, and a look to go with it. We have also re-designed the headtube and bottom bracket shell. With more machining and refining, we have made it lighter stronger, and added ISCG mounts for more drivetrain options. A great value for the serious rider. New look. New components. Better ride. Better value. We start with the new F6A Tapered frame. It provides better pedaling up and down hills with less bob; better cornering with offset chainstays for more lateral stiffness; better performance and durability with sealed bearings on the pivots; lower standover clearance to jump on and off easier; a slightly more relaxed head angle (67 degrees) improved control in cornering and descending; and finishes that are second to none. Other benefits include:

• A bend in the top tube to give lower standover clearance because often when you need to put a foot down on the trail you're not on level ground and you need as much clearance as you can get.
  • Bearings on every pivot (rather than bushings which is the industry standard) that provide superior performance and durability.
  • Off-set chainstays for more lateral stiffness.
  • Hydroformed (drawn) tubes, rather than traditional gussets provide superior strength and durability, and are lighter.
  • Improved suspension that incorporates the most proven 4-Bar Link rear suspension on the market with refinements that distribute bump stress through four links and provides a more vertical wheel path than many other full suspension frames. A vertical wheel path means that when you're pedaling the bike won't bob up and down, but it will still absorb the bumps.
  • Butting (thinning the tubing walls in the right places) to lower weight. The frame weighs just 6 lbs.
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty on the frame - the best in the business.

Check out more reviews on the new Alta Peak 27.5 here.

Submitted by GCBikes a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2013

Strengths:    Price, half decent components, smooth ride

Weaknesses:    Frame and setup quality

Bottom Line:
The bike fit well and rode great at first. Was looking to get into a decent mid-range FS but didn't have a ton of money to spend.

At about 3 weeks the freewheel gave out and had to be replaced
At about 1 month I noticed just about every spoke on each of the wheels was loose to the point of falling out. I am well aware of a break-in period, but I have never seen so many loose bits after just a month on any other bike.
About the same time the bottom pivot bearing fell apart...litterally. Apparently they forgot to put locktite on the tiny little screw holding it together. Luckilly I found the screw on the trail after my frame collapsed on me mid ride and was able to make it back to the trailhead.

At about 3 months rear frame cracked. Replaced via warranty, but with a fight because I had added a bashguard instead of a 3rd chainring... and they claimed this was evidence of free riding which would void the warrenty.

Customer service was ok... mostly email, about a responce a day when dealing with warranty issues.

If I had it all to do over again I would have spent an extra grand and gotten a much nicer well built bike from a respectable dealer.

Duration Product Used:   4 Months

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   fezzari.com

Submitted by Tyler Williamson

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2013

Strengths:    Riding position and suspension. The fact that it was built using the 23 point system so it is tailored for me.

Weaknesses:    I have yet to discover a weakness.

Bottom Line:
I have to be honest, I have not taken my bike out much. I can say that the customer service I received was top notch despite reviews I read on the internet. My brother rides a Fezzari, and recommended them to me. I ordered the Alta peak and needed it by a certain date because I have a yearly trip to Moab planed with all the guys in my family. We have done it for the last 7 years. The Alta peak was on back order for my size, but they contacted me quickly and offered to substitute a 2012 Nebo Peak frame so I could have the bike for my trip. (The Nebo is most expensive frame they offer). They built and shipped the bike extremely fast. It was easy to put together, the frame is beautiful, they provide all the tools and instructions, and it was worth every hard earned penny! It makes my old bike feel like a pile of rubble. Needless to say, I am extremely pumped to get to Moab and so off my purchase, and then tear up some trails. I am confident that my rides are going to be a lot more fun. Thank you Fezzari. Keep up the good work. Summer can't get here quick enough.

Submitted by KMiller

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2013

Strengths:    Suspension and stability are good.

Weaknesses:    Customer service is very disappointing. I ordered two Alta Peaks, one for myself and one for my son. A person from Fezzzari called me and asked if they could use a frame from a different model for my son's bike. I reluctantly consented. The frame does not match the fork. My son has narrrower shoulders than I do, but they sent wider handlebars for his bike than for mine. The seatpost for my bike had several scratches when it arrived. . I have made the repeated mistake of ordering accesories from Fezzari. I ordered four spare 26" mountain bike inner tubes from Fezzari, and they sent me four 29" inner tubes. I ordered a set of front and rear mountain bike fenders, and the rear fender they sent me requires that it be mounted on a seperate "BeamRack", and is not useable by itself. The shipments have not been accompanied by either an email invoice or invoice with the package. The lack of understanding and caring about their shipments is quite disappointing to me.

Bottom Line:
Customer service is poor

Submitted by Vince

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2013

Strengths:    The component package is outstanding for the price. The 23 point custom set up ensured the bike fit me perfectly when it arrived. I had several positive experiences with customer support. They were able to talk me through adjusting the rear brakes and rear derailleur. I was apprehensive about purchasing the bike based on previous customer service reviews, but my experience was very positive.

Weaknesses:    Maxxis Larsen TT tires. No color choices.

Bottom Line:
I’ve ridded the bike almost every day for four months and I love it.

Submitted by Chad

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2012

Strengths:    I have really loved My Alta, it pedals great and climbs awesome, especially having the lockout on the rear shock. Biggest strength is taking it downhill, you can really feel all of the six inches of travel. Fezzari support was great to work with and tuned the bike specifically for me. The fit of the bike has been perfect and quality has been great.

Weaknesses:    For the Money it is an awesome bike, but now that i love mountain biking so much i want to upgrade to the Fezzari Nebo peak.

Bottom Line:
Built for my size, budget, and riding style. what more could you ask for!

Submitted by Dean

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2012

Strengths:    The bike is awesome

Weaknesses:    The company and staff sucks dont believe any of the satisfaction promises.

Bottom Line:
The bikes are awesome--but i will never deal with this company again.

Submitted by dan

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2012

Strengths:    Let me think..................................................................................still thinking

Weaknesses:    CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS,
and lack of colors, the set that come with it is like sitting on nails.

It was so bad I had to force a reserve charge on my credit card and now I am looking into sueing them for harassment.

Bottom Line:
I ordered a 19" frame Alta Peak with up grades. I got the 21" Alta Peak with the upgrades I thought no big deal--I am a big guy--after all they are the profeesinals (HA the joke was on me) They are no more professinal then the a beach bum.

When fianlly the bike arrived after waiting 2 weeks for it--it arrived damaged.
Paint chipped off and gears would not work. Once I called the company I was told they would send me a new rear derailuer and it would be 3 to 5 days before I get it. So instead of waiting I told them I'll get it fixed and they said they would refund up to the cost of the derailuer (well I never got the money). After takig it to the shop to get fix the serice tech pointed out so other damages.

At first i was nice and asked for a new bike to be sent out and Fezzeri (Steve and another guy) Cust. Service said if I return the bike; i would have to pay for the return freight and pay for any damages. I already spent $2,7000 and waited 2 weeks to get the bike spent $80.00 fixing the bike and the tech was saying it was going to be about another $800 to fix the damages. That was not what i wanted to hear or should have heard.

Dealing with them for nearly a month,I went to my bank to try to reverse the charge and the bank and i did a 3-way call trying to fix the issue. Again I was told that Fezzari's 100% satsifaction policy(there's a reason way you only see half the logo on their website). They enformed me and the bank rep the return policy and i would have to pay for the repairs. I After explaining to them only damages on the bike is how it came to me. They said I would still have to pay for the repairs. Luckily the conversation was recorded by my bank (Bank of America rocks). BoA Basically said due to defictive equipment they reversed the charged.

I am now trying to do what is morally right and get them the bike back--Fezzari still wants to be butt heads about it. I am under no legal obligation to sent it to them and they stil want to be buttheads.

After dealing with the Customer NON-Service and their disire to do right for 3 weeks--I went to the bank and reversed the charge.

Submitted by Tim a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2012

Strengths:    Price. Weight (29 lbs.) and balance. Higher end components. Customer service. 6" travel. Solid construction.

Weaknesses:    Elixer 5 brakes. Maxxis Larsen TT tires aren't great.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike in February of 2012. I have ridden it 3 days a week since then at the time of this writing (May 2012). I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so it's been though some very muddy and less than ideal conditions it's entire life thus far and has held up great.

I'll start with the good: VALUE. You won't find a better deal in terms of price and the quality of components you get. For $1899 (total, no tax- factory direct pricing) you are getting easily a $2,300-2,500 bike at your local shop after tax. Couple that with 0% financing for 6 months and I just couldn't pass it up. The frame is well-designed/built and is a solid base to build on. The front Sektor RL shock is SUPER soft and cushy. And the 6" of travel is absolutely the best feature of this bike. I use ALL of it when I ride and will never go back to anything less. Some reviewers have said that their shocks seemed too come with low PSI from Fezzari, but this is why they ask you what type of riding you do and how aggressive you are. I found the setup to be nearly perfect. Either way, get a shock pump for $15 if you need to and adjust to your needs if you're not happy. The rear Ario RL shock is also works well. This is my first rear suspension bike, so I can't compare to a Fox or anything different but so far so good! Both front and rear shocks come with lockout options, but I find I only lock out the front on big uphill climbs. The frame design has very minimal rear pedal bob. My back has thanked me, coming from a a hardtail.

Shifting is quick, smooth and mostly silent. I haven't had skipping gears or anything negative to report. Chainslap is already pretty minimal and is also mostly silenced by the neoprene frame sleeve provided by Fezzari, so that's appreciated. It's a nice change of pace to have a bike that doesn't sound like it's about to rattle itself apart.

The negative: The Elixer 5 brakes. Let me start by saying these hydraulic brakes are an absolute upgrade from anything less. If you are coming from V Brakes the difference is night and day. However, Avid's are known to squeal and make the dreaded "turkey gobble" sound and vibrate. This is a sign of warping the rotors and has lead me to have terrible vibrations from the rear brake and diminished stopping power. That being said, Fezzari support has been great in helping me out. They first sent out a new back rotor and pads (which I paid $30 for, thinking I didn't bed the pads in correctly). However a week later, even after bedding them in correctly, the noise and vibrations were back. A quick check of the back rotor showed that it was warping already. I contacted support once again, sounding like a broken record (and annoying, I'm sure) and they went ahead and contacted Avid directly. Apparently there was a "bad batch" of Elixer 5 rotors in production...Fezzari went ahead and sent me out a set of HSX rotors (same ones for X.0 and XX brakes) for me to swap out, free of charge. At the time of this writing they are being shipped, so hopefully this fixes everything. As for lever feel, they are a little squishy, but I'm finding that every now and then a few quick pumps of the brake juices them back up. If I had to do it over again, I'd have Fezzari outfit the Alta Peak with different brakes and everything would be top notch.

Also, the Maxxis Larsen TT tires are less than desirable for anything other than hard pack. I ditched them and put on some Maxxis Minions and haven't looked back. I might make the TT's my summer tire, though. Fezzari will swap new tires for you if you ask when buying.

Conclusion:

If you're in the market for a great full suspension bike, look no further than the Alta Peak. I had originally started thinking I would get their entry level Wiki Peak or Abajo bikes, but the Alta upgrades were too great to pass up at the price. Upgrading a bike after you purchase it is a pricey endeavor. Do it once and do it right. The difference for me was 6" of suspension travel, better wheels and brakes (for the most part). Don't worry about losing any customer service from not buying a bike locally. The Fezzari staff are always helpful and have been very quick to respond to my emails.

I've had quite a few people at my local trails ask about the bike and are amazed at the price and components. Some have heard of Fezzari and some haven't. But I've nothing but good things to say about them. I think I've even converted a few people along the way.

Happy riding!

Favorite Trail:   Duthie Hill

Purchased At:   Fezzari.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock.

Submitted by charlie1volley a Weekend Warrior from san diego, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2011

Strengths:    Great performance and fun (caveat: I am not an expert)
Good looks (even has flecked paint in the black and copper paint)
Great value
Shipping with Fed Ex 3-day was awesome
Customer service: sometimes great but sometime definitely not, see below
Great fit/tuning other than shock tuning left a little to be desired

Weaknesses:    Customer service
Tried to sell me a 2010 frame without telling me. Said I could get a "black and white" frame in 2-weeks less time--said it was "exactly the same as what was online, just black and white". I said OK thinking no big deal, not really set on a particular color. After giving my order, did some more online poking around on the Alta Peak for interest and happened across a pic of a 2010 frame which curiously was black and white. So I asked them to send me a pic of the bike I would be receiving and lo and behold it was a 2010 frame (completely different graphics and I'm pretty sure different specs but I'm not 100% sure than the 2011). I came seriously close to cancelling my order but ultimately decided to go through with it.
Poor attention to detail/communication: had to order and re-order helmet, accessories multiple times; did not receive initial receipt until a week after order. Had to request other receipts multiple times; had to explain I was already approved for financing 3 different times

Lead time
4 weeks -- more practical for people who already have bikes, I lost out on a lot of good summer rides with buddies.
Not ready out of the package
O-ring on hub spacer snapped, basically unridable--good turn-around for replacement (same day shipped (Fri) arrived (Mon) but lost another weekend of riding.
Maxle axle not in instructions, had to utube to figure out how to put in properly
Must have patience to learn or be already fairly savvy with bike mechanics
Shocks not tuned well, especially front (was at 85 PSI which is the lowest end of the recommended PSI for the 160-180 lbs range), I gave them my weight as 185 lbs. Rear was much too soft as well, but benefit of the doubt since this seems to be largely a rider preference and there was no recommended PSI for weight listed on the shock.
Discrepancies on advertised parts v. received. Advertised RockShox Ario 3.2 rear shock. Received RockShox Ario RL shock. Advertised SRAM S1000. Received Shimano FC-M552 (Deore). Quick google search appeared they are roughly the same in price so I haven’t pursued it.

Bottom Line:
Overall: great bike, great value; frustrated by customer service--sometimes received excellent service, other times very poor. Would be a 4/5 if they hadn't tried to sell me a 2010 frame under the guise that it was a "black and white" 2011. Hopefully isolated incident. Recommend to someone seeking a great value who is mechanically savvy with a bike or willing/able to invest a modest amount of time learning. Definitely order a shock pump. Once everything is set up you will have a blast!

Favorite Trail:   Penasquitos Canyon Twister II

Purchased At:   Fezzari online

Similar Products Used:   Low-end Specialized DS bike (can't remember type, borrowed for one ride)

Bike Setup:   Same as online description, differences noted in review

Submitted by RiderNH a Weekend Warrior from NH, USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2011

Strengths:    So far it is solid and sharp looking bike. It feels light, flickable and goes where I point it. The suspension soaks up the bumps and I'm the only one holding this bike back. Great fitting bike and I felt at home on it right off. Much better then my hardtail.

Weaknesses:    RD needs small adjustment but can work around it until I adjust it. Really not the bikes fault so no weaknesses right now.

Bottom Line:
My bike was delivered in a nicely packed box. It came with all the hardware to finish putting it together. The bike did come with the RockShox Sektor R Solo Air 150mm and not the Sektor coil with u-turn. The Fezzari website was wrong and is updated now. The bike also had 2.0 tires when it should have had 2.35. Fezzari offered to change those out but I was okay with 2.0's. I'm using the bike more for cross-country then all mountain. I had Fezzari swap out the stem and change the bars. That cost me $15 and was well worth it for me. The bike weighs about 29 lbs on my bathroom scale. I absolutely love this bike so far! You will not be disappointed in purchasing this bike. I'll add a review at the end of the season.

Purchased At:   Fezzari.com

Similar Products Used:   Marin B17 - not really similar in my book.

Bike Setup:   RockShox Sektor R Solo Air 150mm, Truvativ Team 710mm, 70 x 10mm stem, 2.0 Maxxis Larsen TT

Submitted by R1d4mlr a Weekend Warrior from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2010

Strengths:    I've had this for a season now and I absolutely love this bike. It does everything great. I ride hard and the bike has taken a beating. All the components have held up well. It climbs great and descends excellent. The suspension is great. The 2010 suspension - Rockshox Recon fork and Rockshox Ario shock - have performed great. I definitely recommend this bike. My next bike will be a Fezzari, too. I'm convinced they're the best value out there.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Component by component, you'll get no better value out there. But I think the best part is the frame. It handles like a dream. After one season of hard riding, it feels the same as when I first bought it.

Favorite Trail:   Many

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper
Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by awhuff a Cross Country Rider from Payson, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2009

Strengths:    Solid, stiff frame; nice paint job; good cockpit feel with custom set up; excellent customer service and support

Weaknesses:    The front fork, Rock Shox Tora, is somewhat disappointing. The preload adjustment does not work very well and my wrists were usually sore after doing technical and downhill, rocky trails.

Bottom Line:
Other than the front fork, this is an excellent bike that can take anything you give it and leave you wanting to ride again and again. I highly recommend this bike for cross country, but to take it to the next level of an all-mountain bike, you will definitely want to buy a better fork.

Favorite Trail:   Goosebury Mesa

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign

Bike Setup:   I ordered it stock, but recently switched the Tora fork for a Rock Shox Revelation and that made all the difference. The bike is now a piece of art and ready to conquer any trail without leaving me with sore wrists. I absolutely love this bike.

Submitted by MC a Cross Country Rider from SJ,CA

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2008

Strengths:    The fit, it feels good, nimble, responsive, steady at speed. Damm good components for the price(XT,Mavic,Juicy,Maxxis). Rear shock (ario2.2)performs well.
Nice paint job.

Weaknesses:    The RS Tora 302. The bike is sold as a cross country, so maybe it is ok. However if you ride somewhat aggresive, Rocky/Rooty Trails, jump or drop 2-3' you might experience
problems with; Leaking oil, lockout no longer working.

Bottom Line:
I love my bike, it gets me excited about riding. I will definitly upgrade the front fork to something a bit more capable soon (55s or Vanilla), maybe change out the crank to XT down the road. I would recomend this product. One of my friends who rides a KT attack 2.0 is about to buy the new model. Another one who rides a very expensive Giant tried mine on a singletrack downhill that we were doing 28-32 on and he was surprised/impressed on how confident he felt on it.

Favorite Trail:   ChinaHole, Sgap,MiddleSteer, Nisene, Braile, RockyRidge

Purchased At:   fezzari.com

Similar Products Used:   I owned Rockhopper, then Mongoose. Have ridden friends Giant, Sjumper, GT Idrive, FSR XC.

Bike Setup:   Put on some Easton Flatboys, and use 2.4 Mraptors when needed, even though the Larsens that come with are very well rounded.

Submitted by paladis a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2008

Strengths:    Rear Shock, bike has little pedal bob and the front shock it nice as well. Both shocks can be locked out but that has not been necessary because the bike climbs well.

Weaknesses:    Maybe the weight, I thought it would be lighter then my previous bike and it is but not by much.

Bottom Line:
The Alta Peak has allowed me to enjoy MTB again. I bought my son a Trek 4300 so we could ride together. I went to the LBS where I got my sons bike to purchase a FS bike for myself and that is when I went into sticker shock. I couldn’t believe the prices of FS bikes, I tried several bikes and some of them I really liked but I could not bring myself to drop 1700 on a bike that had components which would need to be changed out soon. I started to ride my old Mongoose which I bought 8 years ago, after riding it a few times last summer (after a 10 years hiatus from MTBing) and most of this summer I realize I had no choice but to buy a new bike. First I brought it in for a complete tune up but still the ride just didn't make me happy.
And then came my Alta Peak and I am happy, it has brought joy back to MTBing for me. And for almost half the price my LBS was asking for similarly equipped bike. I love the bike; the ride is night and day from my previous MTB. The rear shock is amazing, there were times when I thought it was not working but when I got it out on the trails and put it through its paces I realize it was working perfect. When I first sat on the Alta Peak I was disappointed, the cockpit seemed all wrong and felt uncomfortable but then after my first ride I realize the Alta Peak fit me perfectly, my previous bike was way too small for me. The Alta Peak which was configured according to my measurements fit me like a glove. So far it has been a great experience, customer service is great and the product is even better. If anything changes I will report back but for now I say the Alta Peak is a winner.

Favorite Trail:   Stephens State park