Felt Compulsion 3 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Crankset: Truvativ "Blaze", 3-Piece Crank, Cold Forged Aluminum
  • Chain: Sram PC-951 (9-Speed) Silver Outer

Submitted by Moosey a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2012

Strengths:    suspension is amazing! bike handles well, jumps well, is fairly light, very strong. I love it.

Weaknesses:    None that I've really found, except you can't run a Roco Air on it... the piggyback is too big. Not the plushest I've ridden on Downhills, but I'm used to 8" travel bikes, and have a slopestyle tune on my shock...

Bottom Line:
I technically have a 2009 felt compulsion 1, monarch in the back, fox 36 up front. It's a bit steep, so here's the kicker to my build... RUN A LOWERED SHOCK! i run a 7.5" shock instead of a 7.785" shock, or whatever the stock length is. I run a quarter inch shorter shock. It does leave me with less travel technically, but it's still like 5 inches. I run a 6" travel fox 36 up front. The BB is nice and low, the HA is slack enough.

This thing rips! Its great on dirt jumps. I dirt jump the hell outta mine, and can't be happier. Equilink is some of the best suspension I've ever felt. It's simply great. This bike has handled some pro-sized DJ's, Northstar (some of the double black trails) and even some 10'+ drops. It's amazing. I simply love this bike. It's not the best on the DH, but it's fun and doable.

I'm surprised how strong the frame is. Cam Zink only rode 1 frame (technically 2 frames) his 2009 season. His first frame broke in the pre-season because of a mechanical error, and was completely unrelated to the bike. The other frame he rode the whole season, no incident. I've crashed hard on mine a few times (Damn thing broke my collar bone) and it's still ready to go. I can't say enough good about it.

Favorite Trail:   One Way

Duration Product Used:   about a year and a half

Purchased At:   Cam Zink

Similar Products Used:   RM Slayer SS, Karpiel Disco, Intense M1, Evil Revolt, Cannondale Rush, Haro Porter.

Bike Setup:   7.5" monarch in the back with slopestyle tune, Fox 36 Van R up front, 160mm.

Basic build other than that. Short stem, wide bars, low seat..

SENSUS SWAYZE GRIPS!

Submitted by svmike a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2011

Strengths:    Review for the 2009 Compulsion 3:
Great parts kit out of the box. Easy set-up. Pedals better than I thought it would. Handles rough terrain with ease and pulls me through hairy situations when I get in a little over my head. Just point and go; she'll take the abuse and come back for more. No problems with suspension pivot points. Off the shelf fork and shock = easy to find parts and replacement units. Keeps me smiling :)

Weaknesses:    The stock tires...bleh!
Should come stock with white saddle and grips instead of the black units(petty I know).

Bottom Line:
best $1900 I ever spent!!! Yeah, it's not as high tech as some of it's rivals, but the Compulsion 3 keeps a smile on muh face whether I'm cruising through downtown Houston, playing on stairs, hitting the trails or even playing on the dirt jumps. Huge BANG for the buck IMO.

Favorite Trail:   Anthills

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Bob Cycle Center

Similar Products Used:   just a hardtail

Bike Setup:   wtb silverado saddle, wtb wolverine race tires, odi ruffian grips, kona wah-wah pedals. Only reason for the saddle and grip change were because I wanted them to be white. The oem Felt XAM saddle is pretty comfy and I should have kept it.

Submitted by FeltDH a Racer from Maine

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2011

Strengths:    Very good sus. design, strong, solid bike, nice fork (RS Pike) good climber and awesome descender.

Weaknesses:    Kinda heavy, but other than that best bike I've ever had

Bottom Line:
I ride this bike in XC races and then slam the seat down and switch pedals to go hit some DH trails. This is a very solid bike and there really aren't any weak links in the spec list like most bikes. Eventuallly I will upgrade the Wheels and shox but they are very nice for now.

Favorite Trail:   Snowbowl, Camden maine

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakota comp, Scott Nitrous 30,

Bike Setup:   Full Shimano SLX, RS Pike Fork, WTB AM wheels, Kenda Nevgals

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    Bomber on the drops, very comfortable at high speeds on smoother trails

Weaknesses:    Tora fork is inadequate for someone who rides more aggressively, am going to upgrade to something that is better

Bottom Line:
This is a great entry level bike for the price and I'm going to make it a lighter setup

Favorite Trail:   hard to pick just one

Purchased At:   Poison Spider

Bike Setup:   full XT,Maxxis and Tioga 2.25 tires,E.Thirteen bashguard, raceface front cog,

Submitted by prfp213 a Cross Country Rider from CT

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    Great Components for $, Equilink Suspension

Weaknesses:    Crap bash guard on on the blaze crank

Bottom Line:
Haven't had the bike for very long, but love it so far. Couldn't ask for more at this price point.

Favorite Trail:   Indian Ledge

Purchased At:   Outdoor Sports

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by joel davis a Cross Country Rider from yorkshire

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2009

Strengths:    good brakes altho i had to have a change due to over use.sus front and back are very good to me sofened my land afew times

Weaknesses:    having problems with back chain slipping gears when back supension goes down

Bottom Line:
very good bike over all

Favorite Trail:   lady bower