Felt Compulsion 1 All Mountain Full Suspension

4.67/5 (21 Reviews)

FRAME: Compulsion Aggressive Trail/All Mountain Full Suspension Featuring Equilink, 145mm Travel, 6061 Series DB Aluminum w/Hydroform TT, Oversize DT & ST, Butted Seat/Chainstays, Cold Forged Yokes and Dropouts, Fully Integrated Head Tube. FORK/SHOCK: Rockshox Pike 426-U-turn Coil, Turnkey Lockout, 20mm Maxle, Adjustable travel 95-140mm, Motion Control, 32mm Aluminum Stanchions, Butted Alloy Steerer, Floodgate, Rebound & Compression Adjust; Fox Float RP23 Air, Pro Pedal 3-Position Lever, Rebound Adjust DRIVETRAIN: Deore XT “Shadow” Rear Derailleur, XT Front Derailleur, XT Hollowtech II Crankset, XT Rapid Fire Shifters, XT Cassette, HG-73 Chain WHEELSET: Shimano Deore XT M776 ALL-Mtn Wheelset, wi/ 20mm Front Hub, Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 Folding Kevlar Tires COMPONENTS: Deore XT Servo Wave Hydraulic Disc Brakes 180mm FT/160mm RR Rotors, Fully-Integrated Headset, Felt Form Freride Saddle, Easton EA-50 Seatpost, Easton EA-70 Stem, Easton EA-70 Monkey bar, Felt All Mtn Lock-on Grips

Submitted by todd

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2013

Strengths:    Smooth operator, rides over everything with smooth efficiency. Excellent climber - I like to bike on the road or trail to where I'm gonna drop in, climbs super efficiently for a bike with so much suspension. Also having the rebound adjustment on the Rockshox Monarch allows you to make adjustments for when you decide to take the plunge.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest bike out there - weight is noticed on anything you have to actually pedal on. While it is an excellent climber, it is definitely not the most ideal for more extended cross-country endeavors. Price is fairly high, while I am very satisfied with my purchase, I feel like a comparable bike may have been somewhat more affordable. However I hear that Felt has excellent customer service, so should anything major happen, I feel pretty confident in the company backing up its product.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, lots of fun, and it can do everything. Not necessarily a bike you would try to buy on a "budget" per se, but it definitely feels solid. Again, excellent climber when needed, although a bit on the heavy side for a cross country trek. On the down hill it will ride over everything so feel confident taking this bike on more challenging trails.

Submitted by Alainzen a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2013

Strengths:    Almost everything! Stiff and solid frame, versatile suspension, Shimano XT drivetrain, real All-Mountain bike.

Weaknesses:    Shimano XT wheels

Bottom Line:
Great all-mountain bike and very versatile for almost any riding style. Great climber as well as for downhill use. The bike's wheelbase is slightly longer than whatever I previously owned but you get use to it after few rides. The Shimano XT hydraulic brakes are great.
I just upgrade my bike with a Shimano XT 2 x 10 drivetrain and XTR brakes and I feel like I have a new bike!

Cons: Shimano XT wheels. Very stiff and solid wheels, UST, and light. The issues are coming from the spokes that won't keep their tension and the freehub that is not very reliable. But, to be honest, so far so good.

I highly recommend the bike to anyone who is looking for a state of the art bike that can do almost anything.

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro FSR, Giant Trance 1

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT 2 x 10 drivetrain, XTR 180mm brakes, tubeless tires.

Submitted by Moosey a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2012

Strengths:    suspension is amazing! bike handles well, jumps well, is fairly light, very strong. I love it.

Weaknesses:    None that I've really found, except you can't run a Roco Air on it... the piggyback is too big. Not the plushest I've ridden on Downhills, but I'm used to 8" travel bikes, and have a slopestyle tune on my shock...

Bottom Line:
I technically have a 2009 felt compulsion 1, monarch in the back, fox 36 up front. It's a bit steep, so here's the kicker to my build... RUN A LOWERED SHOCK! i run a 7.5" shock instead of a 7.785" shock, or whatever the stock length is. I run a quarter inch shorter shock. It does leave me with less travel technically, but it's still like 5 inches. I run a 6" travel fox 36 up front. The BB is nice and low, the HA is slack enough.

This thing rips! Its great on dirt jumps. I dirt jump the hell outta mine, and can't be happier. Equilink is some of the best suspension I've ever felt. It's simply great. This bike has handled some pro-sized DJ's, Northstar (some of the double black trails) and even some 10'+ drops. It's amazing. I simply love this bike. It's not the best on the DH, but it's fun and doable.

I'm surprised how strong the frame is. Cam Zink only rode 1 frame (technically 2 frames) his 2009 season. His first frame broke in the pre-season because of a mechanical error, and was completely unrelated to the bike. The other frame he rode the whole season, no incident. I've crashed hard on mine a few times (Damn thing broke my collar bone) and it's still ready to go. I can't say enough good about it.

Favorite Trail:   One Way

Duration Product Used:   about a year and a half

Purchased At:   Cam Zink

Similar Products Used:   RM Slayer SS, Karpiel Disco, Intense M1, Evil Revolt, Cannondale Rush, Haro Porter.

Bike Setup:   7.5" monarch in the back with slopestyle tune, Fox 36 Van R up front, 160mm.

Basic build other than that. Short stem, wide bars, low seat..

SENSUS SWAYZE GRIPS!

Submitted by gusans

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2012

Strengths:    Equilink, Rock Shox Pike and a very well made frame

Weaknesses:    Deore rear hub could need some extra maintenance if you ride hard on it.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike, surprisingly good for climbing, when riding can't notice the 32.2 lbs, and for going down is really stable and fun at the same time.
i bought a 2008 model, with low miles and very good condition and am very happy with this bike.

Submitted by svmike a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2011

Strengths:    Review for the 2009 Compulsion 3:
Great parts kit out of the box. Easy set-up. Pedals better than I thought it would. Handles rough terrain with ease and pulls me through hairy situations when I get in a little over my head. Just point and go; she'll take the abuse and come back for more. No problems with suspension pivot points. Off the shelf fork and shock = easy to find parts and replacement units. Keeps me smiling :)

Weaknesses:    The stock tires...bleh!
Should come stock with white saddle and grips instead of the black units(petty I know).

Bottom Line:
best $1900 I ever spent!!! Yeah, it's not as high tech as some of it's rivals, but the Compulsion 3 keeps a smile on muh face whether I'm cruising through downtown Houston, playing on stairs, hitting the trails or even playing on the dirt jumps. Huge BANG for the buck IMO.

Favorite Trail:   Anthills

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Bob Cycle Center

Similar Products Used:   just a hardtail

Bike Setup:   wtb silverado saddle, wtb wolverine race tires, odi ruffian grips, kona wah-wah pedals. Only reason for the saddle and grip change were because I wanted them to be white. The oem Felt XAM saddle is pretty comfy and I should have kept it.

Submitted by FeltDH a Racer from Maine

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2011

Strengths:    Very good sus. design, strong, solid bike, nice fork (RS Pike) good climber and awesome descender.

Weaknesses:    Kinda heavy, but other than that best bike I've ever had

Bottom Line:
I ride this bike in XC races and then slam the seat down and switch pedals to go hit some DH trails. This is a very solid bike and there really aren't any weak links in the spec list like most bikes. Eventuallly I will upgrade the Wheels and shox but they are very nice for now.

Favorite Trail:   Snowbowl, Camden maine

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakota comp, Scott Nitrous 30,

Bike Setup:   Full Shimano SLX, RS Pike Fork, WTB AM wheels, Kenda Nevgals

Submitted by mac8005 a Cross Country Rider from klamath falls

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2011

Strengths:    This bike is bullet proof. I have crashed on it four times now; its got a couple scratches, and I bent the handle bars. Considering what I crashed on. The only thing that got damaged was me. The suspension is as forgiving as it gets.

Weaknesses:    This bike is almost 40lbs so when you go for a cross country ride you will be punished, until you go down hill.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for beginers!!! But, you've gotta have a wild side to get all the enjoyment. Bottom line: pay the price to reap the benifits, fitness wise and the wind wistling through your helmet jetting down a hill.

Favorite Trail:   bogus basin idaho

Purchased At:   meridian cycle idaho

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    Bomber on the drops, very comfortable at high speeds on smoother trails

Weaknesses:    Tora fork is inadequate for someone who rides more aggressively, am going to upgrade to something that is better

Bottom Line:
This is a great entry level bike for the price and I'm going to make it a lighter setup

Favorite Trail:   hard to pick just one

Purchased At:   Poison Spider

Bike Setup:   full XT,Maxxis and Tioga 2.25 tires,E.Thirteen bashguard, raceface front cog,

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2010

Strengths:    It has the best rear suspension i have ever tried
the Deore XT is amazing. The Rock Shox are so awesome and they and they are very smooth. The frame is so hard and stiff which is good.

Weaknesses:    The Fox float r is a bit too bouncy

Bottom Line:
Awesome its the best bike EVER
I recommend it to Anyone at any age.

Favorite Trail:   BT nature reserve trails

Purchased At:   Bikehaus

Bike Setup:   Cant remember in my head

Submitted by DrewN209 a Weekend Warrior from Stockton, CA - USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2010

Strengths:    Full XT drivetrain; Cranks, Wheels, Brakes, etc. Light and rigid w/ a plush ride. Suspension adjustablity is limitless.

Weaknesses:    The cables being routed on top of the downtube pretty much make the waterbottle cage mounting bolts completely useless...

Bottom Line:
Absolutely love this bike. I'm 5'10" and the medium fits me perfect and feels so light and flickable underfoot. Plush ride downhill and screams up hill like no 150mm travel bike should. I got a new 09 on closeout for 2100.00 dollars off and I couldn't be happier.

Purchased At:   Bob's Cycle Center

Bike Setup:   100% stock w/ Deore XT clipless pedals.

Submitted by burlzee28 a Weekend Warrior from Franklin, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2010

Strengths:    This bike is smooth as silk both up and down hill. The Equilink technology really works. Climbs like goat and bombs down on rails.

Weaknesses:    The front end seem light when going up steep hills. I found using a taller gear corrected the problem.

Bottom Line:
I bought this as a frameset and built it up during the winter. With the early spring around here I have been out quite a few times in the past month or so. This bike is amazing. I have ridden a Jamis XLT for the past 4 years and really liked the bike alot. Until now that is. This Felt is so smooth and effortless to ride. The Equilink works perfectly. I have never found the need to use the pro-pedal, The suspension design is that good. This bike i definately worth checking out if you have the chance.

Favorite Trail:   Lost Wall

Similar Products Used:   2004 Jamis XLT 2.0

Bike Setup:   XT drivetrain, Avid Elixir Brakes, Thompson Seatpost and Stem. Fox Fanilla RLC, Fox RP23. Maxxis Ignitors w/ stans tubeless

Submitted by bubble1983 a Cross Country Rider from Nottingham

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2009

Strengths:    Well built, goot stuff on it. Nimbul

Weaknesses:    Loooong 90mil stem, and odd bars.

Bottom Line:
I've hit trees, walls at stupid speeds and all thats broken was the seat. I do everything on this bike, just a little heavy for long xc rides at 32 pound. Don't know what the special edition has the normal hasn't, apart from it's white, i got number 181 :) and for 1000 pound... its pretty dam good all mountain bike. Just the pike 409's have steel springs, so beware of sagging over time.

Favorite Trail:   Edale Loop

Purchased At:   Evans cycles

Similar Products Used:   Scott Ransom

Bike Setup:   50mil truvative stem, scott dh rised bars, V8 pedels, freedom disc wheelset, highrollers.

Submitted by prfp213 a Cross Country Rider from CT

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    Great Components for $, Equilink Suspension

Weaknesses:    Crap bash guard on on the blaze crank

Bottom Line:
Haven't had the bike for very long, but love it so far. Couldn't ask for more at this price point.

Favorite Trail:   Indian Ledge

Purchased At:   Outdoor Sports

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by muzzleman a Weekend Warrior from Schelkovo, Moscow region, Russia

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2009

Strengths:    The good suspension bracket, bicycle vigorously enough goes to uphill, is stable on descents. This bike the best choice for ride in style all-mountain. Equipment SRAM is perfectly entered in the bicycle concept.

Weaknesses:    For heavy riders brakes are rather weak, on descents it would be desirable more capacity. The standard saddle very inconvenient, reminds a chair for tortures

Bottom Line:
It is an excellent bicycle, with perfect suspension Equilink. It not only looks great, but a??? works like a dream. During using a bicycle, there are no censures to work of components of a bicycle.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in the Crimea

Purchased At:   www.sportacademia.ru

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance X2, Cube Fritz

Bike Setup:   standard spec- rockshox pike (with x-firm spring), xt front mech,SRAM x9 rear mech, sram x7 shifters, wtb speeddisc wheels, truvativ cranks- new syncros seatpost (400 mm), and Selle Italia C2 Gel Flow saddle, DMR V12 pedals.

Submitted by ACorlett a Cross Country Rider from Fife, Scotland

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2009

Strengths:    Quality kit, efficient rear suspension

Weaknesses:    Weight, truly useless bottom bracket, non-adjustable coil fork

Bottom Line:
Wheels are a bit heavy, as is the whole thing. Bottom bracket is utter rubbish. Started squeaking after less than 10 hours riding and, despite lubing, is now squeaking, groaning and cracking. Am hoping that a swap to a Superstar ceramic BB will address this.
Wanted a bike that was more fun than an XC bike on the descents and rough terrain, and was prepared to sacrifice some climbing ability. On long land-rover tracks and road sections, this bike drags more than a shorter-travel or lighter more XC-orientated bike, but as soon as the ground gets technical, the bike rules.
It clambers effortlessly over the rootiest, rockiest stuff, irrespective of how steep up or down. The weight doesn't even come in to it then. It just barges through the most technical of sections - the Pike is genuinely awesome.
Rear suspension is every bit as efficient as Felt claim, but is fully active, too - hence it's excellence on technical uphills.
Bottom line is that it's just plain good fun. It makes you ride harder and faster than is probably sensible - have gotten more cuts and bruises than usual, but have had way more fun than usual! It can handle everything I need it to, and makes me want to ride more and encourages me to push my limits.
It's everything I hoped it would be!

Favorite Trail:   Anything in the Cairngorms