Ellsworth Moment All Mountain Full Suspension

4.82/5 (99 Reviews)

• Rear Travel: 5 in. / 6 in.
  • Shock Options: Air: Fox AVA R Pro Pedal 5.25", 5th Element 5.25" Coil: Romic D 6", Fox Vanilla RC 6"
  • Fork Travel: Recommended 125-150mm

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Rex Plunger

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, forward, but stable posture. !!GRIP!! and smooth ride, long frame is confident but still seems a on the twitchy snappy edge like a fast and light cross country frame.

Weaknesses:    Not enough time to ride it.

Bottom Line:
    Solid, driven, and controlled bike, best when used with all real (springs) suspension, and very active. Othello, this frame will make your ride a blend of quick and snappy maneuvers and comfortably controlled swoops and flows. Fast, fat. Ellsworth suspension. Expensive, but a good mid-life-crisis killer.

Submitted by Desert Ripper a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2013

Strengths:    Phenomenal suspension. Great climber. Ohh, did I mention amazing Suspension (that is why we buy these crazy bikes right?). Beefy chain stay and impeccable welds.

Weaknesses:    Loaded hubs. I have broken 3 of them since riding the Moment. Weak.

Bottom Line:
    Supple suspension in all conditions. Herculean swing arm keeps the flex at bay. This is the one bike that I have ridden that maintains stability at high speeds in rough terrain. 3 or 4 foot drops in the desert keeps me coming back for more. Seriously fun. Disappointed in the Loaded spec package especially the rear hub. The Avid Elixirs are spongey.

Favorite Trail:   Southern Utah anywhere

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Las Vegas Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback, Specialized, Giant

Bike Setup:   SRAM. 2 x 10. Havoc bars and 35 mm stem, KS 120mm dropper post.

Submitted by waterwall a All Mountain Rider from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2012

Strengths:    versatile, strong, do-it-all bike

Weaknesses:    anodized coating scratches easily

Bottom Line:
    Great all-around bike, light enough where you can use it as an AM machine. Very quiet (no squeaking / creaking from the bearings - I've never replaced mine and had the bike for 4+ years) - good suspension design allows for some mountain-goat climbing action. This was my do-it-all bike and at 28 lbs it was phenomenal. The anodized coating, however, picked up a number of scratches, but then again - what bike doesn't do that? Overall, this is an awesome ride - highly recommend. Definitely in the top 5 bikes of all time.

Favorite Trail:   UCSC

Purchased At:   pro-deal

Similar Products Used:   mojo sl, santa cruz bullit, santa cruz heckler, and many many others.

Bike Setup:   AM set up w/XTR, DHX5 air, 36float front.

Submitted by latoks a Weekend Warrior from uk

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2011

Strengths:    Beautifully made,top quality.Amazing do all bike.Longer top tube than most,cockpit doesn't feel cramped as others can.

Weaknesses:    Bearings are not protected against the elements,which means if you live where it rains ie. UK they require a lot of tlc.27.2 restricts choice of adjustable seatpost options.

Bottom Line:
    After riding many different bikes over the last 15 years this is the best so far,Ok it requires more maintenance than say a single pivot but rewards you with a super plush,confidence inspiring ride.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in the Alps

Purchased At:   Freeborn

Similar Products Used:   Numerous

Bike Setup:   Fox talas,xtr,raceface cranks,mavic sx

Submitted by stash77 a Downhiller from grand junction, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2010

Strengths:    Stability, balance, cornering, feels lighter than it is, if that makes sense. Plush suspension. This is truly a nimble and quick bike.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    The bike is simply amazing. The build I chose was quite expensive but has been well worth it. Good deals on the frame can be found and you don't have to go all out on the build like I did. The only thing I might change is the rear shock. I think coil would be better.

Favorite Trail:   Current one

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign

Bike Setup:   I-9 enduro hubs, ZTR Flow rims, Fox Talas 36 fork, DHX Air, Hammerschimdt cranks, Magura Marta brakes, Maxxis Highroller UST, CC headset, Shimano XTR for everthing else.

Submitted by dfacerdm a Cross Country Rider from Sd CA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2010

Strengths:    Do not buy. This frame design is defective and dangerous! Email for details. heyheyheyna@gmail.com

Bottom Line:
    Ellsworth is an ego maniac that will not admit his Moment is defective. There have been tons of complaints and with each person they pretend it's the first time they heard it.

Purchased At:   0

Submitted by justbuster69 a Cross Country Rider from Lemery,Batangas,Philippines

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2010

Strengths:    hefty drop outs

Bottom Line:
    just a GREAT bike frame!it gave me the confidence to go down descends that i would normally wouldnt attempt to go down to.its nimble and it turns on a dime.Although the first few uphill rides will remind you that the frames a bit hefty,you will eventually get used to it so i dont consider it a disadvantage.its money well spent!

Favorite Trail:   Bobot's trail

Purchased At:   ebay.ph

Similar Products Used:   jamis xam-2
    specialized fsr

Bike Setup:   talas rc2,avid elixir cr, thomson stem and seatpost,mavic crossmax sx

Submitted by drnich a Weekend Warrior from Hidden Valley PA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2010

Weaknesses:    Still looking

Bottom Line:
    What can I say that hasn't already been said in previous reviews. I built this bike 5 years ago as a 28 lb trail bike. Since that time I havegone through 3 forks, 2 shocks, 2 sets of wheels,etc etc.
    The only parts from my original build is the CK headset and the seatpost.
    My wife says I have $10 k in this bike and she is probably not too far off.
    Still waiting for a frame to surpass it as I would like to replace it someday.
    Maybe a Moment 29er......

Favorite Trail:   Laurel mountain

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Submitted by Kurt Leitkowski a Downhiller from brookfeild,ma,usa

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2009

Strengths:    is a amazing in the air and handles like its on rails such a fast ride .

Weaknesses:    rear axle could be a little thicker but I have never had a problem with mine and i usally rool off around 6'=9' roll offs with ease

Bottom Line:
    if you want a all around amazing bike this is it ive ridden all kinds of bikes this bikes is by far one of the fastest ive ever been on it is the best bike i have riden for instance it adds the extra confidenc in a bike that free riders like me like too much cus now I dont have the fear that is my bike gonna take it , now its can i take it wich is a alsome feeling. I would recomend this bike for more advanced ride though for the fact of the price of the build its not cheap and isnt for a beginner.

Favorite Trail:   my freeride spot

Purchased At:   goat wheels

Similar Products Used:   I used to ride a A 06 big hit and loved great bike bike but cant compare with the ellsworth is just so much faster

Bike Setup:   I have it setup as a 18 speed , with a xtr setup with a smash gaurd on her plus i have bommer tst up front to locke out the 160 mm of suspention with is nice when you are climbing at all . i have avid juicys all around with a 180 mm rotors on mavic wheels great wheels by the way . rolin on 2.25 michilen dh tire love um only way to go .

Submitted by mimi1885 a Weekend Warrior from Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2009

Strengths:    Solid, Stable, geometry, attention to detail. Great customer service.

Weaknesses:    Weight, huge walking beam is blocking the view of the cassette. I wish the seatpost size is either 30.9 or 31.6

Bottom Line:
    I had my second ride on the Moment today and I was surprise yet again. The bike is Solid as a rock, great climber and rock solid descender, handle switch back with ease.

First thing first, the frame has a beautiful finish. with the large walking beam it looks scary. Great attention to detail, carbon bridge is a nice touch although, I was told that it does make contact to the QR collar when bottom.

Climbing
    It's a great climber, while it pedals heaver than my 32lbs Reign, it making up big time on the technical climb. I cleared sections that I couldn't clear on my reign and 5.5. The pedal bob is quite minimal I didn't bother setting the pro pedal on the DHX air.

Cruising the single track and descending
    This bike is just plain awesome. I descent the first part of my familiar singletrack with switch back at the bottom of the long first straight. I just nailed the straight and carve that SB I just couldn't believed it. It's so balanced and stable. I did a couple of high speed drop over the water bar just routine on this bike. I'm quite impressed.

I took the indicator off my shifter to make more room on the bar with all the remotes. Usually is ok on my other bikes I just have to look down to see how many gear I have left but on the Moment is quite difficult to do because it's hard to see.

I highly recommend this bike to people who's considering a beefy do it all kinda bike that's not afraid to shine on the climb. I'll post the update in a few months. I'm sure it will be good

Favorite Trail:   Rock-it

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Mojo, ML8, ML7, Motolite, Racer x, Intense 5.5, Reign, Trance, Ransom, Prophet, Well I own a lot of bikes so I can keep trying new things

Bike Setup:   AM set up,, Magura Wotan, XT Grouppo except the Crank I ran SLX 2X9 set up with bash guard. Industry nine enduro, kenda 2.35 Stan tubeless. 4" AMP seat post carbon OS bar 647 pedals, total weight of 31.87 lbs

Submitted by Steel Freak a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix AZ

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2009

Strengths:    Great Handling, Durable, Good Looking, Perfect All Mountain setup and good XC training (Because its heavy)

Weaknesses:    None but it's too heavy for racing XC but that's not the right tool for that job.

Bottom Line:
    The Bike is a bit over kill. I will never use the outer limits of this Machine. Makes me feel like a better rider than I am. Originally bought it to train on hill climbing to supplement my Road Cycling. Outstanding Product.

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classic SOMO AZ

Purchased At:   Bicycles Johns (Acto

Similar Products Used:   Kona Coiler

Bike Setup:   Custom Wheel-set Chris King Hubs, Hope Disc Brakes, Spram Shifters. 2.5in front tire, 2.3 rear.

Submitted by whoopdydo a Cross Country Rider from Whistler BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2009

Strengths:    -super stiff and responsive
    -active suspension under all conditions
    -climbs like a hardtail
    -descends like a DH bike
    -fairly light build (33 lbs)

Weaknesses:    The price!

Bottom Line:
    I've only got a dozen or so rides on this bike, but I'm thoroughly impressed by the ICT suspension and overall responsiveness of this bike. I've found myself throwing the bike into situations where my old heckler had limitations only to find the bike pulling me through and kind of surprising me. There's a whole new level of trust in what the bike is capable that's been quite refreshing for me. I feel buying this frame was worth every penny.

Favorite Trail:   Comfortably Numb

Purchased At:   Fineline Ride Shop,

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler

Bike Setup:   Chromag bar/stem/seat post, king head set, XT brakes/shifters, Saint deraileur/hubs/axle, XT cranks/integrated BB, SLX fr deraileur, SLX drivetrain, Kenda Nevigal 2.35, Mavic 321 disc rims, Fox TALAS, Fox DHX5 coil, lizzard skin grips.

Submitted by mikesg a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2009

Strengths:    solid, no squeaking / creaking noises, pivots are bullet proof, geometry is amazing - great cornering & climbing (ICT)

Weaknesses:    too expensive, a little heavy

Bottom Line:
    Good bike, i have it set up as an all-mountain-do-it-all type of bike and it works really well as such. When I show up to XC races on it, I can usually sense the fear on people's faces ... it must be the 6" of travel with that coil shock =).

Favorite Trail:   UCSC - all of them

Purchased At:   pro-deal

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz: hecker & bullit

Bike Setup:   full xtr, fox 36 float, fox dhx 5.0, mavic crossmax xl

Submitted by scott sumner a Weekend Warrior from walnut creek, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2009

Strengths:    Astonishing traction and handling: between the Moment frame, the Fox shocks (especially the adjustable Talas travel), Stan's notube rims, and the TRULY REMARKABLE Rohloff 14-speedhub, this bike handles technical terrain like a spider running across a rock wall.

Weaknesses:    Weight. Expense.

Bottom Line:
    Anyone who rides anything other than a single speed MTB ought to invest in a Rohloff Speedhub.
    Drivetrain derailleurs and shifting are absolutely the bane of MTBers. Nothing can shake your enjoyment of a ride like shifting issues. Rohloff solves that - for good.
    What I didn't appreciate until I started using the Speedhub is that it makes single track easier - instantaneous shifting >> means optimal gearing >> means better torque and leverage on the bike.
    Chain-slap? Never again. Wrong gear? Never again. Derailleurs? Never again.
    I loved my Ellsworth Id, but the Moment blows it away. The suspension is plush, it hugs everything. The instant center tracking and the Horst linkage keep everything in line and on the trail, even through rough technical terrain.
    As built, I've turned the Moment into a 32-33 pound trail bike. It climbs great, but it's not a cross-country rig. No question, this is a big investment. But I won't be servicing much other than changing tires until it is time to service the Fox shocks.

Favorite Trail:   Shell Ridge, Walnut Creek, CA

Purchased At:   cyclemonkey.com, Oak

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Id - for about five years.

Bike Setup:   Rohloff Speedhub, Stans no tube wheels, WTB Moto Raptor 2.24 tires, Fox Talas.

Submitted by jjcools a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2009

Strengths:    Reasonable weight, great suspension design, and handmade in the USA.

Weaknesses:    Price is steep but on par with other US production bikes. Not many dealers here in Nor Cal.

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike, the ride is amazing and the handling is amazing. Took this thing to Bootleg, Moab, Gooseberry Mesa and all over Nor Cal. It is a blast to ride and makes me smile more than any other bike I have ridden, the smoke finish is really cool looking also.

I think people will hate to hate and others will ride their bike cause they love to be on two wheels. Give this bike a demo if you want a great performing bike with an active rear suspension system. I would recommend going coil front and rear though. I am not a huge fan of the air on the Moment. I give it a 4 for value but I think I would do that to any bike in this price range. I love it but that is a lot of cash.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa