Ellsworth Epiphany All Mountain Full Suspension

4.83/5 (115 Reviews)

Taking the legendary performance and handling of the Epiphany and adding 40% larger wheels while maintaining the same geometry as it's 26" counterpart, the Epiphany 275 is great option when choosing your next trail/all mountain bike to ride anything, anywhere! 27.5" wheels are here! Not sure if you want to go 26" or 29" on your next trail bike? The new wheel size splits the difference and gives you the best of both worlds. Looking for a bike that can rail through corners, accelerate with lightening speed, keep your momentum going while rendering the roughest terrain smooth?! The Epiphany 275 delivers with a frame that is hand made here in the USA! This is the perfect bike for your ride everything and ride it hard all day long rides. Where will the Epiphany 275 take you on your next adventure? Features: -Sizes: S, M, L, XL -Available Colors: Blue, Black, and Nickel -Head Tube: Tapered 1.5", 44mm top and 56mm bottom headset cups -Suspension Linkage: Ellsworth ICT -Tire Clearance: 27.5" x 2.4" -Front Travel: 140-160mm (5.5-6.3") -Rear Travel: 140mm (5.5") -Rear Hub Spacing: 142mm x 12mm thru axle with carbon seat stay.

Submitted by Diegobustillos a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2013

Strengths:    Cornering. No brake jack.

Weaknesses:    Horrible small bump compliance. steep head angle for its intended purpose. A lot of BOB when pedalling.

Bottom Line:
I rode this bike for about 2 months. A lot of long climbs and steep terrain. The bike excels tight switchbacks and flowy trails. I found that if the terrain gets too technical the bike would get hung up on the back and would not respond very well. Climbing is absolutely dependent on pro-pedal and even then if you stand the shock will fully compress creating a lot of unwanted bob.

Similar Products Used:   Trek Remedy, Turner 5 Spot, Specialized Enduro Evo, Pivot Firebird.

Bike Setup:   XT setup. Rock Shox Pike. Stan's Flow. Avid Elixir brakes.

Submitted by durianC a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2013

Strengths:    Beautiful frame. Handles really well in the climbs and descents. I appreciate an American made frame.

Weaknesses:    Frame strength Warranty. I first saw Ellsworth at the Sea Otter Classic. After talking to the folks in the booth and explaining that my then current bike was 10 years old, they assured me that an Ellsworth would last me 10 years. Try less than 4. Last year my seat stay snapped. They crashed replaced my seat stay but I had to purchase new rockers to the tune of $400 for compatibility. Bikes all fixed up and 10 months later my seat tube snaps in half on a mild climb. I expect a lot more from a frame that is domestically built and carries a $2400+ price tag. I had been wanting to get a Moment and two of my friends drooled over the new Epihany 275 at this years Sea Otter. None of us will be buying Ellsworths in the future.

Bottom Line:
Beautiful bike. I'm a 220lb rider. Maybe if I was 170 I would buy it again.

Favorite Trail:   China Camp SP, Paradise Royale

Bike Setup:   Fox Talas Fork, XO grip shifters, brakes, rear derailleur, XTR front derailleur, crankset, King hubs.

Submitted by Cody Ewing a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2013

Strengths:    EVERYTHING!

Weaknesses:    NONE!

Bottom Line:
I am a 300lb rider. I ride 4-5 times a week and mostly through the dirt/sand lots and over enough curbs and wash board areas to satisfy anyone. The Epiphany is quick to react and is so easy to manuver that any obsticle seems trivial. When I do get a chance to do some climbs and rough decents, I never feel out of control and neverfeel that the rear sus has failed. This bike is the standard all bikes should be held to.

Favorite Trail:   Germany!

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Bike Setup:   I run, Race Face Atlas crank and rings, Avid Jucy 7 brakes, SRAM X.0 front and rear derail and shifters. Race Face Next seat post with a WTB label seat. Thompson Elite stem with Race Face Atlas bar. Oury grips and Crank Brother Mallet 3 pedals.

Submitted by Randall Reel a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2012

Strengths:    The frame is light, ridged, strong, and has excellent trail feel. It possesses the very difficult to achieve quality of having plenty of travel and handling capability for tougher terrain without feeling soft climbing or on easy terrain. The more vertical angle of the top rear triangle arm contributes to the balanced feel and lack of negative traction issues from breaking/pedaling etc.

Hard to get the balance of low weight, 145mm + travel, "magic geometry", and rigidity.

Mine is built with XT and XTR, Chris King hubs & headset, Thompson seat tube & nick, ZDR rims, Nobby Nic tubeless. Also, Fox Talas and a DHX shock which works very well, better downhill capability.

Weaknesses:    Possibly expensive depending on your budget.

Bottom Line:
Strongly recommended for all mountain riders for whom climbing efficiency is important as well as excellent downhill capability. Very few aluminum bikes can combine the factors: weight under 28lbs, strength/rigidity, handling capability, and feel like this one does. I’ve ridden Ibis, Santa Cruz, Yeti, Pivot, BMC, Intense, Devinci, and others.

The frame is manufactured in Washington and/or Vancouver by aerospace welders etc. There are just a handful of mountain bike manufacturers in the US and Canada that are not made in Taiwan.

Submitted by Zach Attack a All Mountain Rider from Geneseo, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2012

Strengths:    this bike has a monster tapered head tube, ICT Suspension is very fluid and reliable, the SST.2 tubing is also a very nice feature, lastly the fact that this can be a 22-24 lb. bike

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This bike is an amazing ally on the trail, it is so reliable that i cant use it for everything from parks to the local cross country trails. Bottom line is that this is an amazing bike, capable of any thing you can throw at it.

Favorite Trail:   Golden Hill

Purchased At:   Tryon Bike

Bike Setup:   i have a full X9/X0 drivetrain, Fox factory suspension front and back, Chris King Threadless Headset, Shimano XT trail pedals.

Submitted by Mapkos13 a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2011

Strengths:    The bike is super stable at speed. Great bump absorption. The ICT kicks butt with little pedal bob.
Light, fast and so far bullet proof!

Weaknesses:    I would say the cost but I got more than expected this round-

Bottom Line:
This is my second Ells and it is bad A$$! The Moment was great and this thing just rocks that with more travel and less weight. The attention to detail that Tony is putting into these is amazing. Nice little branding touches everywhere from the ICT in the rear to the support above the bottom bracket to the lock on handgrips.

This thing absolutely bombs down the trail taking everything you can throw at it. I run it a little stiffer than the 25% sag. The Fox shocks are super nice and offer tons of adjustability just need to dial her in and your set.

You could def. build this down to sub 23 lbs. I bet but I don't mind where it's at now. (26.4)

If you have the money or can find one. throw your leg over it and I'll bet you'll be trying to figure out a way to take it home.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Through Ellsworth an

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Moment

Bike Setup:   Full SRAM XO, Ellsworth XC Wheelset, Chris King HS, Thomson Seat post and stem

Submitted by Jack Jack a Cross Country Rider from SG

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent to handle in tight singletrack, on extremely steep drop, the bike handle well, Stable on high speed downhills.

Weaknesses:    none for far..

Bottom Line:
Great bike to have despite the pricy tag
Medium frame was what I bought.
Bike was fitted with a 90mm stem and 680mm carbon low riser handlebar, which give me a good balance of quickness and control .
The ICT seems to have been purpose-made for adventure racing and endurance racing/epic/trail events.
As this was my first attempt in a full suspension bike
Alot of research had been
One of the major consideration was that the bike had to be stiff, efficient,low-maintenance,able to climb steep hill of all be robust enough to take my bashing.
2 Choice came to my mind , Turner and Ellsworth and due to the fact that the LBS make me a offer on the Epiphany that i couldnt gave up on. I took the bait
Bike was set up with 2011 XTR parts and the light weight Ellsworth XC wheel, so it comes in at just a little over 25 lbs or 11.4kg

The rear end look bling and is stiff thanks to the awesome ICT and the one-piece rear triangle that the bike encompasses

The rear 5inch suspension design is great for some crazy adventure racing and epic riding... Once you get the sag done up correctly, Climbing have no issue and even if it hits a bump,the suspension soaks it up.
The stiff and reliable 15mm thru-axle 140mm Fox fork also complements the frame perfectly. Its quite a adrenline rush to go up and down the trails especailly when going through steep drop or technical portion of a trail with a bike that take everything that you throw at it.

Similar Products Used:   None so far

Full XTR Drive Train
SEATPOST: Thomson Elite
SADDLE: EHB WTB Silverado Ti Solid
Maxxis CrossMark/ Kenda Nevagal
WHEEL SET: Ellsworth XC 26"

Submitted by Bikethrasher a Cross Country Rider from Eagle

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2011

Strengths:    Great all round Trail bike. One of the best suspensions on the market pretty light for and aluminum bike.
Made in the USA

Weaknesses:    Haven't had any issues with this frame so far.
I would like to see cable guides for my gravity dropper post and a BB30 bottom bracket shell. Ellsworth already addressed the tapered head tube which is great to see.
I do notice a little bit of kick back on ledgy terrain.
It dosen't handle out the saddle sprints as well as a DW link bike but I'm still faster on this bike at this point.
I'm not going to complain about the price a Stumpy S-Works frame is alot more and isn't any better.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up review. I'm still very happy with this bike and havn't had any issues with any of the parts. The Edge wheels are still true after 1000 plus miles. The XX drive train is on its second chain and still running smoothly. The Formula R1s are working to perfection as expected. The Fox Fork and Shock are in need of a rebuild but that's to be expected at this point. The Gravity Dropper is awsome as expected I have yet to have an issue with any of their posts. The Thompson stem and King headset and BB Well they are Bomb Proof. XTR Cables and Housing are still the best out there.

I still feel this is one of the Best Trail bikes money can buy. Ellsworth keeps improving on a great bike that few riders will find fault with. I spent most of last summer trying to find something to complain about. There simply isn't much aside from personal nitpicking, it's that good.

Buy this bike if you love riding single track at high speed. Buy this bike if your a strong descender but need some climbing help it will help. Buy this bike if you 're still on the 9er fence. 5in travel 26in bikes are still faster and more capable than 9ers. Buy it if like me you can't stand paying the same money for a Big Brand Bike. Buy it because it's made in America.

If your like me and are still on the 26er/9er fence this is going to be a great year for you and I. Ibis, Pivot, and possably Stana Cruz are going to be bringing some longer travel 9ers to the market. This will be a make it or break it point for me. I've ridden some good 9ers but they still fall short when it comes to trail riding. I know more than a few people who love the 9er for racing but still trail ride on a 26er. Pivot and Ibis could change that. We will see this fall.

Always looking for the perfect Trail Bike.

Enjoy the Ride, Jamie

Favorite Trail:   Any singletrack

Purchased At:   Moontime Cyclrey in

Similar Products Used:   I ridden pretty much all the new non big brand bikes in this price range. Ibis, Turner, Yeti, Pivot, Ventana, Niner, Ellsworth, Foes. All these companies make great bikes it just comes down to what works for your style of riding.

Bike Setup:   Fox Suspension, Sram XX Drivetrain, Formula R1 Brakes, Edge Composites Am Wheels and Bar, Thompson 4X Stem 100mm, King Headset and BB, Candy 11 Pedals, Gravity Dropper Turbo post, Specialized BG saddle, XTR Cables and housing, Lizard skins Grips, Tires vary

Submitted by nsynk a Weekend Warrior from Keighley England

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Strengths:    versatility, pedability, suspension action, weight

Bottom Line:
Fantastic. Great bump absorption/ suspension action and pedals incredibly well. With the use of a cane creek angleset geometry is fine tuneable. I have mine set slack and low (67.5 degree head angle and 13.5 inch bb height). very stiff and direct and stable at high speed but handles well at slow speed too. Great bike. Importer Freeborn were really helpfull too. Price was comparable to other top end bikes.

Favorite Trail:   portes du soleil france

Purchased At:   Freeborn

Similar Products Used:   orange sub5, marin ridge zone, Ellsworth id, Ellsworth moment

Bike Setup:   foxrp23 boost valve, Rockshox Revelation rlt ti, xtr, haven bar/stem, hope tech 2, Mavic crossmax st

Submitted by holywood a Weekend Warrior from redding ca

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2011

Strengths:    Paint is awesome.Usa built.Climbs like a like an animal thats been shot at.

Bottom Line:
I was having problems with climbing on my old am bike so i started looking for a new frame.I got a sweet deal on this lightly used frame.I had to learn how to ride all over.It corners like its on rails.Where i had to push before,i can ride now.I can ride this bike farther harder and at a better pace.It is making me a better rider.To me its the best of both worlds am/xc.

Favorite Trail:   to many to list

Purchased At:   .Used at esp out doo

Similar Products Used:   Giant a/c2 Norco Fluid 1

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Epiphany Xt 150 Talas Race face cranks Elixir R Wtbs xfusion post

Submitted by bearbait90 a Cross Country Rider from Nottingham, England

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2011

Strengths:    Quality of build, anodising, and most importantly the superb ride quality.

Weaknesses:    Can't fault the product.

Bottom Line:
I ordered the bike and paid in full mid November, and was promised on a couple of occasions by the UK distributor I would definitely have it for Xmas. Well, as you might have guessed, it didn't arrive until late January. Not sure if they are incompetent or dishonest, but good luck to any other Brit who has to deal with them. I should add that I am not referring to Freeborn. Anyway, the frame finally arrived and it has a manufacturing defect on the head tube and needs to be replaced under warranty. So all in all not the best start, but these things happen. Whilst I wait for my new front end, I've built the defective frame up and am now out and about, and.....

...Despite the negatives of buying this frame, it is, as I expected, an absolute joy to ride. The quality of my 2008 Epiphany has been incredible, and when I saw the SST.2 I had to have one. I've decided to keep the 2008, I can't let her go. I've ridden Turner's and Yeti, but for me the quality is second to none. It's difficult for a direct comparison of my two Epiphany's, I've changed the riding position significantly from a racier set up to a more comfortable, all-day set up. However, it seems rock steady on fast descents, and the climbing ability of these things never ceases to amaze me.

Yes, they are expensive. But having tasted what you get for the extra money, I have to give this a fat five chilis for value for money, for me it's just so much better than similarly priced bikes. Overall, a fat five chilis, the bike is simply incredible.

Favorite Trail:   Ladybower, Peak District

Purchased At:   sShokwave, Nottingha

Similar Products Used:   2008 Epiphany, Turner Flux

Bike Setup:   Epiphany SST.2 Black with red rockers & kit. Fox F-Series 120, Stans ZTR Olympics on XTR hubs, Juicy Ultimates, X0 gears, XT chainset, Thompson post & stem, Syncros carbon bars.

Submitted by Casquete a Cross Country Rider from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2011

Strengths:    Weight, construction, looks, the ict suspension sistem, the way it climbs, the way it feels on the trails, everyting...

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike ever. I can´t find words to describe the way it feels on the trails. It climbs like no other bike out there, with no energy loss because of the ict sistem.

I used to love my old Scott Spark, when i say love belive me, but that love ended the day that i rode for the first time the epiphany with its 140 mm front and rear suspension it feels like a rocket...

Botton line it is a must have bike.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Rush, Scott Genius

Bike Setup:   Fox Rp23, Fox 32 Series, Shimano XT Dynasis, Ellsworth XC Wheels

Submitted by ofrdbykr a Weekend Warrior from Evergreen, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2011

Strengths:    efficient climber, good descender, great all-around bike. Can be built up light for XC, but better yet, more rugged for AM riding

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike and one I would keep in my stable for a long time. Of my 4 bikes, the one I use the most (also have 5-inch travel SS, Ellsworth Rogue FR, and Kona Stinky for bike parks. I use the Epi on most group rides and after work to get a quick workout in. Climbs well, which is needed on the front range, but can also scream on the downhills.

Favorite Trail:   Whole Enchilada, Moab

Purchased At:   Singletrack Factory,

Similar Products Used:   Orange Sub-5, Ellsworth Moment, GT-STS

Bike Setup:   Fox Talas 130, Hope hubs w/Mavic tubeless rims, full XT, 2x9 setup with bashguard

Submitted by skugdale a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2010

Strengths:    Sorry to have to write this, but nothing really.

Serious problem with suspension linkage.

Weaknesses:    Rocker arm suspension linkage. Now had two snap, in identicle place

Bottom Line:
The first magnesium alloy rocker arm failed after 12 months, forward of the main pivot point - on the right hand side which secures to the shock.

Replaced on warranty with a re-designed linkage. 3 yrs later this one failed - in exactly the same area - conclusion - the problem still exists. I only do XC type riding.

Who wants to ride a bike when you have little confidence that the suspension linkage might snap like a carrot, while you're 20 plus miles away from your home/car, in the middle of the dales, or remote area? It wasn't what I paid a lot of money for.

Okay, so another warranty claim - oh there's no stock in UK, Fantastic Ellsworth! I tell you what, this frame will be going on e-bay, I'm going to get an Orange 5.

My advice to buyers is this - there is a serious issue with the suspension linkage failing, it hasn't been sorted. Ask yourself if you want to push your bike when you've only completed half your planned ride. The other option is to carry a spare rocker arm in your CamelBack - Ellsworth what a joke, oh yes you had a bike called a Joker, how appropriate. Rant over, sorry folks

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock Trail

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Isis

Bike Setup:   Sram XO, Revelations, Chris King, Mavic XL, Hope Mono M4's, Thompson, SDG Bell etc etc

Submitted by scugdale a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2010

Strengths:    Mmmmmmmm? Not the suspension linkage. Beautiful ride, works well

Weaknesses:    The rocker arm/suspension link. The origional snapped after 1 years mild use, the second 'modified/improved version' lastest 3 years then snapped like a carrot

Bottom Line:
The problem of the suspension was supposed to have been solved. This clearly hasn't. A replacement should be received soon, BUT - my confidence in the bike has gone. Who wants to be stranded 20 miles from your car because the kit isn't fit for purpose, and expensive kit! I think the frame will be going onto e-bay and an early Christmas present in the form of an Orange 5 frame.

I forgot to mention the linkage failed identically, in the same place as the last one - forward of main pivot, right hand side. Sorry Ellsworth, the bike is rubbish. I dont want to go on a bike ride carrying a spare rocker arm in the Camelback - just in case! Hopefully the replacement wont be made out of a carrot, like the last two.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock Trail

Purchased At:   Freeborn

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Isis

Bike Setup:   XO, rockshox revelations, thompson, mavic, hope etc

Epiphany SST1 conversion from Trail to XC, possible?

Hi guys, I'm pretty much a newbie in MTB. Therefore any advice is most welcome. Well, a little about me.. I'm a road cyclist for the past 20yrs, therefore I kinda prefer an XC setup rather than trail (with lots of slack). I’m on the Epiphany SST1, with Lefty. Currently in Tokyo and riding trai ... Read More »

torque settings for rocker arm and rear triangle Moment and Epiphany

Does anyone know what the torque settings for rocker arm and rear triangle are for the Moment and Epiphany?Read More »

Turner 5 spot vs Ellsworth Epiphany

Trying to decide the better bike - 2010 Turner 5 Spot, or 2010 Ellsworth Epiphany SST1? Similar builds. Looking for a ride to handle the rougher trails of PA - rocks. As well as everyday/all-day funhog to keep my old man's (47 yrs old) back pain-free, and have some fun on the trails doing some ... Read More »

Epiphany rear shock!

Hi all Has anyone ever use a fox 7.875 x 2.25 rear shock on a SST 1 Epiphany?Read More »

Epiphany 275

Just ordered a frame from them using the loyalty program. Great customer service by the way. Anyone have one of these/ride one of these? Can't seem to find anything on this bike. Wish it was in the shoot out. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this, maybe see some build pics. Ridden the 26" ... Read More »