Diamondback Mission All Mountain Full Suspension

4.44/5 (68 Reviews)

Featuring 6” of front and rearTravel,The Mission isTruly an all mountain specialist. Light onThe climbs and confident onThe descent,The Mission is spec'edTo be a versatile and efficient rideThat is sureTo please riders of all styles. Frame: Mission All Mountain 6" 6061-T6 Weapons Grade Aluminum w/HydroformedTopTube, Butted / Formed DownTube / Seatstays, Under Arch Seatstay bridge,Tapered HeadTube Knuckle BoxTechnology, ISCG, 142x12mm E-Thru Axle Drop out Rear Shock: Fox Float, Adaptive Logic

Submitted by bambut jutz

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2014

Strengths:    stating the obvious, downhill, this bike is well designed, cornering, handles really, really good, specs are really nice, fox ctd suspension, float 36 160 mil front, and back, sram and shimano derailer, shifters, avid elixir brakes, 200 mil disc brake in the front, 180 at the back, can really stop on a dime.

Weaknesses:    weight, roughly around 32sh or so lbs heavy, still need to upgrade to a dropper post

Bottom Line:
2014 db mission, overall probably rate this bike as a 4/5. the bike really handles like a gem on switch backs, going downhill, cornering really excels. climbs pretty good considering the head angle is around 67 deg i think. this is my first fs bike, first one was a gt karakoram 29er, so i always compare the two, pros and cons. on the climb, i find myself leaning forward more compare to my 29er(again head angle this bike being an all mtn bike). the reward is on the way back to the parking lot, considering most trails usually starts out with the climb right away so at the end of the ride you'll be all smiles riding back to your car. you can easily get carried away cause this bike handles very well going down.

Submitted by Sam Robbins

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2014

Strengths:    Descends well and the frame is stiff. I've taken over 4ft drops and it takes the hits well; that is saying a lot because I weight 230 lbs on a good day. It's a solid bike for us big boys and DB has been good to me on the warranty. I must have gotten a lemon and broke the frame in 6 months. DB sent me a brand new frame and paid for all the work to swap out all of the components. I also warrantied the seat-stay and DB didn't give me any trouble. I can't say the same for the bike shop I've had to work with.

Weaknesses:    Many people complain about the bike being heavy, but like I said, I weigh 230 lbs on a good day, so I can't complain about a bike that weighs a couple more pounds than other similar bikes. Needs a dropper seat. Also the brakes are squeaky buy I don't notice that on the single track.

Bottom Line:
I felt like I needed to write a review for bigger guys looking for a new bike. You can't take advice too seriously for 160 and 170 lbs guys that work at a bike shop. They will never understand how often big athletic guys break our bikes. Next time I will buy two bikes so I always have a bike to ride when I have to warranty a frame.

Unfortunately, I live 2.5 hours from the nearest DB dealer so warranty issues are a pain. On the other hand, I've been able to work directly with the DB warranty department. I've emailed them pics and video and they shipped the seat-stay directly to me.

Favorite Trail:   Captain Ahab

Duration Product Used:   less than a year

Purchased At:   Promotive

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rock Hopper and Rocky Mountain Element

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Philip McCombie a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2013

Strengths:    A versatile bike & good value.

Weaknesses:    TORA 318 front fork in inadequate for jumps & steep downhill runs.

Bottom Line:
I consider the color of the bike as battleship grey - so I figure the bike is more military than sporting. Easy enough to ride on the pavement, easy enough to ride on the beach at low tide. It will go up hills & won't break on rough tracks. It won't win a sporting event but it might win the war. If you want bling then get yourself some gold teeth & earrings.

Duration Product Used:   5 years

Price Paid:    $1939.00

Purchased At:   Sydney

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose ECD, Norco Atomik, Mongoose Otero, Mongoose Tyax

Submitted by Bryan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2013

Strengths:    I got this bike last year and it is fantastic. It eats up the trail, loves to jump, and sucks up steep rollers. You can ride it everywhere. It is stiff, strong and instills confidence in the rider. It has been extremely dependable and has been riden hard 3-5 times a week. It wanted fox suspension at an affordable price and Diamondback was a great choice. Specialized and Giant were 1500 -2000 more. The 36 Fox float fork was icing on the cake.

Weaknesses:    It is heavy but the stiffness and dependabilty more than makes up for it. It is tough to make very steep climbs which is also made up for on the downhills and everywhere else. I replaced the weak wheelset after a few months with $300 freeride wheels from Spank.

Bottom Line:
Affordable, stiff, strong, dependable & AWESOME!

Submitted by capt.balljack a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2013

Strengths:    Fit and finish is top notch. Bottomless travel. Confidence inspiring. Quiet. DB is returned to it's former glory.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a bit spendy. Resale. Hecho in China.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. My last 3 bikes have been SC Hecklers and this one just blows doors on them. I hate leaving reviews for several reasons, but when I noticed that nobody has come forth about this bike, I felt it my duty to end the silence. I climb with it I rip down with it and it tips the scales @ 28lbs.! DB, at one time was the best. Then something hapened and they were crap. Now they have reinvented themselves and are most likely the most underrated bike out there. Lots of deals out there for this one. For sure worth a look.

Favorite Trail:   depends

Purchased At:   pro deal

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Foes XCR, Intense 5.75

Bike Setup:   Rock shox lyrik, all Sram XO, WTB wheelset.

Submitted by Hidayat a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2012

Strengths:    suspension is a RP23 High Volume making the suspension feel more linear. the bike feels great when ur hucking and can really take a pounding.

Weaknesses:    the linkage nuts came loose on the trail..locktight fixed that. alittle heavy but not so u notice on the trails. the rear shox need to be pumped just a little higher than spec or else it will feel sluggish. climbing is good as long as u engage the propedal.

Bottom Line:
i bought the frame only on ebay because it was cheap. USD500 brand new! (shipping included) i wasnt expecting much from a diamondback frame. now my perspective of DB has totally changed with this bike. its such a good bike at such an afforadable price point. too bad many riders out there still thinks DB is a grade B product. DiamondBack is freaking ACE!

Submitted by lifanus a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2012

Strengths:    Stable ride (the faster the speed, the more stable it becomes)
Much better cornering compared to my old XC frame
Easy rear suspension maintenance
Confident inspiring during descents, the drops that I was afraid to do with my old xc frame now is a piece of cake.
Climbs well even without a lock out rear shock.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy
Hard to find rear triangle bolts and nuts, have to order a whole kit including bearings with Diamondback for over $100 even if you just need a replacement bolt.

Bottom Line:
Got the frame used to replace my old XC bike. What a difference in ridding quality. I was so afraid on my old XC because it was really hard to control going fast or slow and now I can climb and drop all the parts of the trail that I was afraid to do with my old frame.

Favorite Trail:   DORBA

Bike Setup:   SLX

Submitted by Largextracheese a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2012

Strengths:    A true do it all bike.
Very predictable suspension movement
Good ramp up and smooth action throughout the suspension movement.
A bike you can take on any trail and not be unprepared...versatile.
A good jumper with great cornering ability.
A comfortable position for long days in the saddle.
Price
Easy to reach shock adjustments.
Low maintenance (no bearing issues)
Good pedaler with minimal suspension movement during long climbs.

Weaknesses:    Flexy rear end (hard to discern until you push it really hard)
XL frame has a seatube that sticks up too far (can't lower the seat down far enough for the steeps)
Understated graphics and hard ano finish.
The Fox rp23 propedal is undetectable in the different positions (no biggie as the suspension still works well)
Not the lightest frame.

Bottom Line:
I had my 2011 xl Mission 3 setup with a Fox 36 160mm Fork. This made the bike way more versatile in the rough stuff without adding a ton of weight. I rode this bike in the bike park with jumps and drops, as well as on long xc rides, I never felt that the bike was outmatched for the PNW terrain. Overall a good bike with a great pricepoint and good performance. A do it all.

Favorite Trail:   Gravy Train

Purchased At:   JK Bikes

Similar Products Used:   2001 Enduro
2003 Enduro
2006 SX trail
2011 Giant Reign

Bike Setup:   XL, XO shifters and derailleur, xt cranks, Fox 36 160, Avid Elixers.

Submitted by Boulder_AllMTN a All Mountain Rider from Boulder, CO, Boulder

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2012

Strengths:    Great All-Mountain Bike! Shocks are amazing, brakes are amazing and I am a huge fan of the geometry. Straight up burly bike and if you looking for something that can go anywhere "especially down" then this is your bike.

Weaknesses:    I've seen people complain about the weight, but I when in doubt get stronger. I have enjoyed my climbs and the down hill capabilities more than makes up for the weight.

Bottom Line:
This bike isn't gonna win any endurance races but if your looking for a down hill crusher that can get to the top of anything then get this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro

Submitted by AHUD a Weekend Warrior from COSTA MESA, CA

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2012

Strengths:    BOMBPROOF, FRAME FEELS GREAT, MOSTLY NICE STOCK COMPONENTS, CLIMBS WELL, JUMPS WELL FOR THE WEIGHT, DESCENDS LIKE A BEAST, ALL BLACK-LOOKS BADASS. UPGRADE A FEW THINGS AND YOU HAVE A BIKE THAT CAN COMPETE WITH ANYTHING ELSE

Weaknesses:    NONE CEPT THE SEAT POST AND SEAT CLAMP SUCKS, MINOR SWAP OUT THOUGH.

Bottom Line:
THIS BIKE MAKES ME WANT TO RIDE EVERY CHANCE I GET. IT IS UNBELIEVABLE FOR THE PRICE YOU PAY FOR IT. I HAVE RIDDEN OTHER MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE BIKES AND I WOULD NEVER TRADE THIS BIKE FOR ANY OTHER BIKE EVEN IF YOU PAID ME. DIAMONDBACK STEPPED UP THE BAR WITH THIS BIKE AND THE SCAPEGOAT. ITS FUNNY THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE SEE DIAMONDBACK AS A DEPARTMENT STORE BIKE, I WOULD URGE YOU TO RIDE A MISSION THEN YOU WILL PROBABLY RETHINK THAT. I HAVE NOTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT THIS BIKE. THE KNUCKLEBOX IS A VERY WELL ENGINEERED SUSPENSION SYSTEM TOO.

Favorite Trail:   SANTIAGO

Purchased At:   USED

Similar Products Used:   SPECIALIZED PITCH, KONA COILAIR

Bike Setup:   DOUBLE HOLZFELLER 24-36, 2.4 TUBELESS MAVIC 819 UP FRONT, 2.3 PROWLER REAR ON SUN, MARZOCCHI 55RV 160MM, FOX RP23, BLACKSPIRE STINGER, EVERYTHING ELSE STOCK

Submitted by rob a Downhiller from colorado springs, co USA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent on the downhills

Weaknesses:    Terrible Climber

Bottom Line:
If you gotta ride your bike up the mountain before hitting up some gnarly descends it's gonna take a lot of energy out of you. Lots of pedal bob with the rp 23 but understandable for the amount of travel, the talas 36 rc is an awesome fork, the specs on this bike are awesome, specially the hammer schmidt, i love that thing! very forgiving when taking the wrong line and it comes out the corners quick. Really proud of what db did with this bike, the knuckle box really is an awesome set up. my buddies are riding on specialized enduros and I'm smoking them down the trail. SHouldnt buy if you're planning on doing lots of climbing. excellent on technical sections. The tires are SIICK! The Mavic crossmax are great and take a pounding.

Favorite Trail:   Capt'n Jacks

Purchased At:   promotive.com

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky

Bike Setup:   Stock, changed the saddle angle. getting ready to switch the saddle, wtb is too uncomfortable on the climbs.

Submitted by gschacht a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2011

Strengths:    Value, ride, looks, you ride in it, not on it, etc.

Weaknesses:    a bit heavier than I would like - 30 lbs, 10 oz with Conti Mountain King UST 2.4/2.2

Bottom Line:
$540 new frame , including delivery! Most parts were bought on sale - wheels purchased new for $500 plus shipping from Colorado Cyclist. Ride is fantastic - low speed damping with 2011 Float RLC is fantastic. Rear with RP23 /Boost is as good or better than my 2007 Mission with a DHX Air 5.0/small can with much less work setting it up. The picture shows the winter setup for the mud/wet.

Favorite Trail:   Forest Park trails/fire lanes

Purchased At:   BCMULTISPORT

Similar Products Used:   2007 Diamondback Mission 3, 2010 Sortie 2

Bike Setup:   Large, 19 inch - Fox Float FIT, 2011 RLC 150/15mm, Easton Havens, SLX 9 speed double crank, 22/36 with bashguard, SLX front der., XT rear der., XT shifters/brakes, Syncros 90mm/12 degree stem, DH bars - 26.25 X 50 rise, ODI grips, Raceface seatpost, Specialized saddle, Chris King Bottom bracket - now running Hans Dampf tubeless

Submitted by dubinjs a Cross Country Rider from Boyds, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2011

Strengths:    Eats up the DH! Hammerschmidt is king. Not sure that I would ever buy another bike without this crank or something similar. Great BB clearance, even on a SM frame.

Weaknesses:
a bit heavy. Not the best in the flats or climbing and you need to keep the Pro Pedal on for these sections or you feel the drag.

Bottom Line:
A great bike that can tear up anything that you throw at it. Once you dile in your riding style and make the appropriate upgrades and adjustments, the bike becomes part of you. i usually have a little trouble keeping up with people on the climbs, but make up for it on the DH quickly. It climbs well, you just need to work a little harder. I love this rig!!

Favorite Trail:   Frederick Water Shed

Purchased At:   Performance, Rockvil

Similar Products Used:   none. Other bike for 7 years was a HT Klien Attitude.

Bike Setup:   hammerschmidt crank, Easton Haven wheels, Easton haven 55mm stem, Easton Haven 177mm low rise carbon bar, rockshox Reverb hydraulic seat post, WTB Rocket V SLT, Shimano XT pedals, Maxxis Ardent 2.4 up front and 2.25 in rear(Tubeless set up), Ergon Grips, Avid disc, Fox Rp23 rear, Fox Talas 160 Front

Submitted by cyber96 a Cross Country Rider from Hatfield, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2011

Strengths:    Weight to suspension ratio, Truvativ hammerschmit AM crank, Elixer CR5 brakes

Weaknesses:    Weight (34lbs for Lg frame), Weight of the crank, paint job.

Bottom Line:
After riding my KONA (which is a AM frame) for XC I decided to actually go with an AM bike that came in 1/2lbs under my Kona. My search was as follows: I wanted a AM bike, lighter then 34.5lbs that had fantastic components. I mainly ride XC, I weight in at 179lbs and am 6'1. The Lg was a great fit for me. As the bike stands for XC, the tires are to big (2.5 front and 2.3 rear), the forks do not have adjustable travel so with the 160mm front climbing is interesting.

Overall, I love the bike. I was a DB hater until I got this bike. They still make great high end products. Just watch out for comments on the trails.

Favorite Trail:   Penny Pack

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Prodeal

Similar Products Used:   Custom build Kona Dawg Deluxe, Scott Spark 29er, Schwinn Rocket 1

Bike Setup:   Stock besides ODI Rogue grips, Nite Rider MiNewt 300 light, Shimano pedals

Submitted by bryantaber a Weekend Warrior from Southeast, Mass

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2011

Strengths:    This is for just the Mission frame. I bought the frame for 400.00 practically new. I upgraded from the Float R to the RP2 w/ lockout and added a 6inch RS Revelation 150mm for the front. The bike pedals so unbelievable. My previous bike was a Giant Trance 4.2 inch travel. This bike pedals just as good as the maestro suspension. After I added some Iodine wheels to lighten the centifals spin and the overall weight, this bike really came alive. I LOOOOVE riding this bike now. I have opted out of some DH trips to do some trail riding. Very agressive on the downhills and bike is such a great climber now. Get the lockout options if you have the oppurtunity. Makes a big difference.Also if you can get a hydraulic seatpost. I use the air charged command post. sort of a long frame so I use a 60mm stem instead of the 70/90mm they come with stock. More agressive for the decents.

Weaknesses:    Just a little flexy in the rear. Tends to be a little noisey with the chain slap.

Bottom Line:
I looooooove this bike as a frameset then built up with my own choice of parts. Great value. These frames are almost identical to the much more expensive commencal meta 5.5. The meta and mission are almost identical in terms of performance. My buddy has one. He paid 4500.00 for one whereas the Mission msrp is about 2100.00 specd he same.

Favorite Trail:   Wompatuck

Purchased At:   pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance.

Bike Setup:   Mission w/ RP2 w/ lockout. Revelation 150mm, Iodine wheelset, Command post. Gamut p-20 single ring 32t, shimano xt hydro m755/800 brakeset. XT crankset.

Hikers Misbehaving,Causing Trouble on East Bay's Mission Peak

[url=http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/article/Crowds-overrun-Mission-Peak-in-Fremont-to-shoot-5755479.php#photo-6864529]Crowds overrun Mission Peak in Fremont to shoot selfies - SFGate[/url] Often, the hikers are unprepared for the challenge. Calls for paramedics are common on weekends. Many hik ... Read More »

Mission Inventory?

Looking to pick up a DB on pro deal. I need a Medium frame and the Mission 1 and 2 are sold out. Anyone have any insight if these will come back in stock for pro deal. This is what I really want but would consider getting the Mason FS instead which I could order now. I want that Mission 2 so bad ... Read More »

Mission Peak Sunday August 24th

Hello, I'm a relatively new rider ... trying to get up Mission Peak this weekend. I'd love to ride with someone more experienced. I've tried it a couple of times in the past ... I think I made it about 3/4ths the way up. Mission Peak Ohlone College route Sunday August 24th 6AM start Park [URL="htt ... Read More »

Mission One 27.5 Wheels = Junk

Just wanted to share some thoughts about the wheels on the Mission One. I absolutely HATE these wheels. They look good, but in action they are terrible, especially for an all mtn bike. They are soft and flex way too much. I've ridden about 70 miles or so of rough S. AZ terrain so far. I have been ... Read More »

Trails near Mission Bay ?

I am going to be in the Mission Bay area next week with the family and thought I might try to get away to do a ride or three. Any group rides day or night? Or other suggestions? Looking for XC, techy, chunky, flowy, 12 to 30 miles. Willing to drive 30 minutes or so to ride. Thanks in advance.Read More »