Diamondback Mission 3 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Kenda Nevegal 26x 2.35 Folding Tires
  • WTB Pure V Comp Saddle

Submitted by Hidayat a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2012

Strengths:    suspension is a RP23 High Volume making the suspension feel more linear. the bike feels great when ur hucking and can really take a pounding.

Weaknesses:    the linkage nuts came loose on the trail..locktight fixed that. alittle heavy but not so u notice on the trails. the rear shox need to be pumped just a little higher than spec or else it will feel sluggish. climbing is good as long as u engage the propedal.

Bottom Line:
i bought the frame only on ebay because it was cheap. USD500 brand new! (shipping included) i wasnt expecting much from a diamondback frame. now my perspective of DB has totally changed with this bike. its such a good bike at such an afforadable price point. too bad many riders out there still thinks DB is a grade B product. DiamondBack is freaking ACE!

Submitted by lifanus a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2012

Strengths:    Stable ride (the faster the speed, the more stable it becomes)
Much better cornering compared to my old XC frame
Easy rear suspension maintenance
Confident inspiring during descents, the drops that I was afraid to do with my old xc frame now is a piece of cake.
Climbs well even without a lock out rear shock.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy
Hard to find rear triangle bolts and nuts, have to order a whole kit including bearings with Diamondback for over $100 even if you just need a replacement bolt.

Bottom Line:
Got the frame used to replace my old XC bike. What a difference in ridding quality. I was so afraid on my old XC because it was really hard to control going fast or slow and now I can climb and drop all the parts of the trail that I was afraid to do with my old frame.

Favorite Trail:   DORBA

Bike Setup:   SLX

Submitted by Largextracheese a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2012

Strengths:    A true do it all bike.
Very predictable suspension movement
Good ramp up and smooth action throughout the suspension movement.
A bike you can take on any trail and not be unprepared...versatile.
A good jumper with great cornering ability.
A comfortable position for long days in the saddle.
Price
Easy to reach shock adjustments.
Low maintenance (no bearing issues)
Good pedaler with minimal suspension movement during long climbs.

Weaknesses:    Flexy rear end (hard to discern until you push it really hard)
XL frame has a seatube that sticks up too far (can't lower the seat down far enough for the steeps)
Understated graphics and hard ano finish.
The Fox rp23 propedal is undetectable in the different positions (no biggie as the suspension still works well)
Not the lightest frame.

Bottom Line:
I had my 2011 xl Mission 3 setup with a Fox 36 160mm Fork. This made the bike way more versatile in the rough stuff without adding a ton of weight. I rode this bike in the bike park with jumps and drops, as well as on long xc rides, I never felt that the bike was outmatched for the PNW terrain. Overall a good bike with a great pricepoint and good performance. A do it all.

Favorite Trail:   Gravy Train

Purchased At:   JK Bikes

Similar Products Used:   2001 Enduro
2003 Enduro
2006 SX trail
2011 Giant Reign

Bike Setup:   XL, XO shifters and derailleur, xt cranks, Fox 36 160, Avid Elixers.

Submitted by Boulder_AllMTN a All Mountain Rider from Boulder, CO, Boulder

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2012

Strengths:    Great All-Mountain Bike! Shocks are amazing, brakes are amazing and I am a huge fan of the geometry. Straight up burly bike and if you looking for something that can go anywhere "especially down" then this is your bike.

Weaknesses:    I've seen people complain about the weight, but I when in doubt get stronger. I have enjoyed my climbs and the down hill capabilities more than makes up for the weight.

Bottom Line:
This bike isn't gonna win any endurance races but if your looking for a down hill crusher that can get to the top of anything then get this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro

Submitted by dubinjs a Cross Country Rider from Boyds, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2011

Strengths:    Eats up the DH! Hammerschmidt is king. Not sure that I would ever buy another bike without this crank or something similar. Great BB clearance, even on a SM frame.

Weaknesses:
a bit heavy. Not the best in the flats or climbing and you need to keep the Pro Pedal on for these sections or you feel the drag.

Bottom Line:
A great bike that can tear up anything that you throw at it. Once you dile in your riding style and make the appropriate upgrades and adjustments, the bike becomes part of you. i usually have a little trouble keeping up with people on the climbs, but make up for it on the DH quickly. It climbs well, you just need to work a little harder. I love this rig!!

Favorite Trail:   Frederick Water Shed

Purchased At:   Performance, Rockvil

Similar Products Used:   none. Other bike for 7 years was a HT Klien Attitude.

Bike Setup:   hammerschmidt crank, Easton Haven wheels, Easton haven 55mm stem, Easton Haven 177mm low rise carbon bar, rockshox Reverb hydraulic seat post, WTB Rocket V SLT, Shimano XT pedals, Maxxis Ardent 2.4 up front and 2.25 in rear(Tubeless set up), Ergon Grips, Avid disc, Fox Rp23 rear, Fox Talas 160 Front

Submitted by cyber96 a Cross Country Rider from Hatfield, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2011

Strengths:    Weight to suspension ratio, Truvativ hammerschmit AM crank, Elixer CR5 brakes

Weaknesses:    Weight (34lbs for Lg frame), Weight of the crank, paint job.

Bottom Line:
After riding my KONA (which is a AM frame) for XC I decided to actually go with an AM bike that came in 1/2lbs under my Kona. My search was as follows: I wanted a AM bike, lighter then 34.5lbs that had fantastic components. I mainly ride XC, I weight in at 179lbs and am 6'1. The Lg was a great fit for me. As the bike stands for XC, the tires are to big (2.5 front and 2.3 rear), the forks do not have adjustable travel so with the 160mm front climbing is interesting.

Overall, I love the bike. I was a DB hater until I got this bike. They still make great high end products. Just watch out for comments on the trails.

Favorite Trail:   Penny Pack

Purchased At:   Prodeal

Similar Products Used:   Custom build Kona Dawg Deluxe, Scott Spark 29er, Schwinn Rocket 1

Bike Setup:   Stock besides ODI Rogue grips, Nite Rider MiNewt 300 light, Shimano pedals

Submitted by Twisted1 a Downhiller from Seattle Washington

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Strengths:    Looks, low bb height, strength, product list

Weaknesses:    None... Well frame sizes are not really correct

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is this bike is awesome. Yes you do need to change out some of the factory parts to be able to fit your riding style, but once it's all built up.... Ready to bomb down the mountain! I used to have that dumb ass mentality that if the bike isn't this name brand or cost this much it was junk. Sh1tttt diamond back got it goin on now. Yes it isn't really fair to compare the session to the mission, but the mission can hold on it's own. I have raced light dh track against my buddies stinky and handled every hit, huck, rock garden that he did on the "glorious" kona. Only real gripe I have is the frame sizes are kinda off. The 17 med frame with db is kinda big. It feels like a trek 18.

People if your looking for great platform to build nice freeride bike then look no further!

Favorite Trail:   North shore, whistler

Similar Products Used:   Trek session 8, yeti 575, Kona stinky

Bike Setup:   Marz am sl2 fork, dhx 5.0 air rear, race face atlus cranks, truativ hussenfelt bars, sixpack raptor x stem, shwalbe big Betty tires, Hayes hfx 9 hd brakes, Halo freedom wheel,

Submitted by rlrocks04 a Weekend Warrior from Westchester NY

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2011

Strengths:    Climbs like a mountain goat, descends like a mountain goat. The Hammerschmit is the most amazing invention known to mankind and while it adds some weight to the bike I will never have to worry about shifting again. No chain slipping when it doesn't like the ratio i'm in. Feels completely rock solid. Fox suspension is smoooooothe as butter

Weaknesses:    little on the heavy side

Bottom Line:
don't be pushed away by the thought of this bike being too heavy. it frickin rocks.

Favorite Trail:   Sprain Brook

Purchased At:   Danny's Cycles

Similar Products Used:   diamondback sortie 3.

Bike Setup:   2010 mission 3. full fox float. truvativ hammershmidt cranks, x9 shifters and derailleurs, elixer cr brakes...

Submitted by Radam77 a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2011

Strengths:    Blue anodized finish nice and no two look alike.
The suspension linkage is a bell crank style and feels smooth as butta! Pikes Rule and everyone knows it! XT brakes and some super sticky stoppers! XT cranks are stiff and smooth. I like the Easton Post for it's hight marks, handy if you can't afford a auto dropper. XT cassette is the bomb, shifts soooo smooth and in two years I've replace it twice. Rear hub has a neat QR thru axle thats super stiff!

Weaknesses:    Shimano XT shifting doesn't hold up well to the NW weather but Sram XO changed that. Shim chain did it's usual thing and blew up in less then three rides. Rear end is a little flexy. I've been on a Mission for a while now and have had three different stays. I will admit to being a big guy (230lbs) and I like to rail corners. Stock Tires where not my favorite. I live in a wet region so tire choice is key and very personal. Stock wheels where a little heavy. I had to be replaced after a year after they wouldn't hold a true.

Bottom Line:
This bike is an awesome value for an AM monster truck! I have put a ton of mileage on my Mission over two plus years and still look forward to riding it. All the rear ends I went through I was able to buy at a good discount through my local DB dealer. I wasn't mad about the rear ends because I understand that I'm a little heavier then the average user, plus I jump it a bit and ride a lot.

Favorite Trail:   WA

Purchased At:   WA

Similar Products Used:   Scapegoat, DB Sortie, Trek Remedy, Trek Fuel EX, SC Heckler

Bike Setup:   XT cranks 32/22 2X9 with bash and E13 DRS and short cage XO and 2 ring SLX front mech. RP23 going strong. Monkey Light mid rise, Gravity Light stem 70mm, Gravity Lock Ons, Original XT brakes, Sram XO rear mech and shifters, front SLX, Gravity Pedals, Fox 36 talas,

Submitted by Jeff a Downhiller from marin county, california

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2010

Strengths:    Beefy frame, good geo, active suspension, very linear suspension, inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Rear end is slightly flexy.

Bottom Line:
The geometry on this bike feels spot on, A 68 degree head tube angle makes it climbable, and slap a Fox 36 up front and it just eats the rough downhills. I found the rear end to be slightly flexy, but it's really not a problem. I have also found the bike to jump remarkably well. My frame(2008) weighs about 7.5 lbs with a RP23 and fsa headset. I'm very happy with it so far and recommend it to anyone looking for a high performance, but inexpensive all mountain rig.

Go buy one!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Giant ac1, Specialized Enduro, SC Blur classic, Bottlerocket.

Bike Setup:   Fox 36 Van, RaceFace cranks, Rhynolite rims, XT drivetrain, Juicy 5's, Fox RP23.

Submitted by R. COGburn a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2009

Strengths:    Hydroformed top tube is sexy stiff and provides great standover. Knucklebox is amazing when combined with Fox RP23. Climbs smooth and descends effortlessly. decent weight for a six inch AM bike.

Weaknesses:    Some stock components blow (grips, pedals, etc) Rear tire clearance in mud with 2.5s is tight.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for any All Mountain rider and light freeride use (see beginner's dirt jumps and urban assault). It can ride a few miles of road to the trailhead with no pedal bob, loop a few miles of technical ups and downs, then rail the long downhill back to road.
I find that I ride even longer and harder with the Joplin, but it has its wn set of reviews. The chainslap was a nightmare at first, but the chainguide fixes that. I'd love to ride the newer ones with the HammerSchmidt!
The low BB is great while descending and in tight turns, but watch your crank arms on the rocks. I've had to relearn my riding techniques with this bike, but I've gotten faster in the long run due to the confidence inspiring plush travel.
I hear the 2010 models are redesigned for an even stiffer feel, but I've never noticed any lateral drift.

Overall a sick ride for a great price.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Similar Products Used:   RM Slayer, Specialized Enduro, Jamis Dakar, Haro Xeon Werx, Norco Six

Bike Setup:   Stock 08 bike with Joplin seatpost, blackspire stinger dual chainguide, RS Pike 454

Submitted by gorgeRide a Cross Country Rider from hood river, or

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2009

Strengths:    Climbs great, descends even better. Suspension rocks, love the Hammerschmidt, great brakes, great wheels. I take this bike out and climb with the best of them. Then I drop the saddle and mop up on the downhill.

Weaknesses:    Ditched the pedals immediately. Grips don't seem to be holding up very well. Otherwise, I'm thrilled with this bike.

Bottom Line:
I was confident that this bike would descend like a champ and handle the big drops with ease. I was surprised at how well the bike climbs. The combination of the KnuckleBox and ProPedal is outstanding. If you can only have one bike and you like to do it all, this is an excellent option.

Favorite Trail:   Post Canyon

Purchased At:   From the factory

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Slayer.

Bike Setup:   Stock with Time pedals.

Submitted by kroniktap09 a Downhiller from new york city

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Strengths:    really lightweight, extremely manueverable

Weaknesses:    incompatibility with the bottom bracket because of the linkage. a nightmare if you want to install or take off parts such as bashgaurds or chainguides. stock parts suck and should be changed if you want to do any serious riding

Bottom Line:
amazing for any type of riding. i set the rebound on the dhx air through the roof, and now it can handle anything. its lightweight and low linkage makes it very easy to whip around, the only problems are the headset and bottom bracket parts. if you want to remove or replace them, you have to special order from diamondback and MAKE SURE all your parts fit.

Favorite Trail:   tempest

Similar Products Used:   intense uzzi, ironhorse 7 point, trek session 88,

Bike Setup:   marz. bomber 66 front mavic rims, maxxis high roller, e-thirteen

Submitted by rarroyo a Downhiller from Oakland, CA US

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2009

Strengths:    Weight, Suspension Design, Quality of build, and of course great design.

Weaknesses:    No Maxle in rear

Bottom Line:
Fortunately I have had the opportunity to purchase and ride a number of great bikes from boutique manufactures to industry giants. Every bike I have had has been great...well as excelled in one aspect or another but fell short of my ideal bike therefore they were sold...well enough about my experience lets get down to this bike.

Suspension: Due to its unique design the Mission 3 has the ability to climb like a hardtail...no exaggeration, this design is similar to the iDrive system not technology wise but feel and efficiency.

As for descending it basically flattens the trail, I would say I am an aggressive trail rider with the occasional chair assisted visit ie. N*... 3-4foot drops, rock gardens and roots are my friends and this bike gives you the confidence to ride faster and harder.

Build: Custom

Will post updated review as the season goes by...lucky for me I can ride year round.

Cheers,